Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    Very atmospheric. As expected, upping the style quotient again, as they've been doing recently.

I've noticed that too. There's always been bits of Bond there (the gadgets, the stunts) but with the last couple and this one they seem to be going for the glamour/sophistication Bond has as well. There was the fancy black tie event at the end of the fourth one, the opera in the fifth one, and now this. All they need is to up the sex appeal and they are basically James Bond films at this point.
    That's one of the major reasons I've begun to like them so much @thelivingroyale. As I've mentioned here and elsewhere, they've seen an opening due to changes in the Bondverse and they're exploiting it. I think it's a smart move. Ferguson brought the sex appeal in the last one but they were smart not to actually indulge, but rather 'suggest'. That is very powerful in today's PC climate. They're giving us some of the elements of Bond without falling for the controversial trappings. Cruise looks excellent (and quite 'suave') in a well tailored (emphasized) dinner jacket too.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Very atmospheric. As expected, upping the style quotient again, as they've been doing recently.

I've noticed that too. There's always been bits of Bond there (the gadgets, the stunts) but with the last couple and this one they seem to be going for the glamour/sophistication Bond has as well. There was the fancy black tie event at the end of the fourth one, the opera in the fifth one, and now this. All they need is to up the sex appeal and they are basically James Bond films at this point.
    That's one of the major reasons I've begun to like them so much @thelivingroyale. As I've mentioned here and elsewhere, they've seen an opening due to changes in the Bondverse and they're exploiting it. I think it's a smart move. Ferguson brought the sex appeal in the last one but they were smart not to actually indulge, but rather 'suggest'. That is very powerful in today's PC climate. They're giving us some of the elements of Bond without falling for the controversial trappings. Cruise looks excellent (and quite 'suave') in a well tailored (emphasized) dinner jacket too.

Can't say I understand the Ferguson thing (she's not unattractive don't get me wrong, but I don't think she's as fit as the rest of the internet seems to) but I do see what you mean. I think it's going to be a problem in the future though because they don't really have their own identity. It's working out well for them obviously with how successful the films are but that's because at the minute, it's James Bond starring Tom Cruise. Once he gets too old, all they have left is a Bond rip off. If they want to carry on past him (which they could do since they have the team angle) then they should try to be a bit more unique imo.

Can't say I understand the Ferguson thing (she's not unattractive don't get me wrong, but I don't think she's as fit as the rest of the internet seems to) but I do see what you mean. I think it's going to be a problem in the future though because they don't really have their own identity. It's working out well for them obviously with how successful the films are but that's because at the minute, it's James Bond starring Tom Cruise. Once he gets too old, all they have left is a Bond rip off. If they want to carry on past him (which they could do since they have the team angle) then they should try to be a bit more unique imo.
    I get your point, but then again all they have to do is semi-reboot. After all, Bond reboots from time to time (whether it's hard or soft) whenever there's a recast, and Paramount can choose to do that with MI as well. I don't see MI as a Bond ripoff though. While they have certainly introduced a new found glamour and style, these attributes aren't exclusive to Bond. MI has more of an action orientation even now. It's high stakes energy in comparison to Bond. That imho is what defines it.

Replacing Cruise will be difficult however. Some have speculated that a team approach will be the best way to go, since very few actors can match his star power. I personally agree, and actually think the risk is lower with MI in comparison to Bond, which does rely primarily on the lead actor to drive the show.
    If I had some cash and had to invest in ether the MI franchise or the Bond franchise, it's MI at the moment. They have the momentum.

Re post Cruise, a power vacuum within the team and a struggle to establish leadership could make a very interesting back story.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A re-boot will not be needed if they’re not trying recast the character of Ethan Hunt, particularly with an actor of a significantly younger age.
    I don’t see them trying to recast Hunt.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    There's no need to recast the role of Ethan Hunt. That's Cruise's gig.
    When Cruise has had enough of the MI role, they can continue with a new team. After all the IMF is a team based group, unlike Bond. It's much easier to continue.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I don’t like these films but this trailer actually looks really bad ass. I’ll be going to theaters for this one for sure.
    I just watched a sequence on Entertainment Tonight focusing on Cruise's getting his helicopter license to pilot one in the film.

He also called Fallout, "The largest practical action movie ever shot."

I don't doubt that just judging from the trailer. I hope Eon is listening to this.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Well we all know the largest action film ever made was QOS
    "Do you ever choose not to" is such a great line.

It makes you think about it in a way of "hmm...i never thought about it"..what happens if he doesn't...also it speaks volumes about Ethan Hunt...it will probably be part of an amazing villain monologue as well...it's crazy how one little line can have different impacts on the story I guess. I hope this movie has the same good writing/action from Ghost Protocol.

I enjoyed RN for what it was but...man I just want an amazing movie that will at least be on par with GP...like have a better "schedule" of big action scenes...what made GP so great was that it had AMAZING AMAZING aciton scenes and stunts......that just got bigger every time.

SO that's what I want from Fallout.

It starts with something crazy and good.

40 minutes in the movie we see something crazy thinking "WOW that's such a crazy stunt/scene" that will bring the thrills......but 20-30 minutes later you see something even better....and 20 minutes later even better..and it ends with something completely breathtaking.

Like imagine if the opera scene in RN was the end? So good.

And judging from the trailer there's going to be lots of action and stunts in this one so I just hope they are put in "good, better, best" fashion in the movie.

This has mad mad potential to be great.

Let's hope it is at least on level of GP...at least for my taste..but I think most of you will agree :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I actually quite liked the way that Rogue Nation ended on a lower key note. It was a pretty great ending even though there wasn't anything too extravagant about it. And overall, while the action didn't top GP (the Morrocco stuff aside) everything else did.

I also quite liked the ending scene in MI3 though, too. So maybe that's just indicative of my tastes more than anything.

GP was a blast and I loved it, but it needed a bit of time to develop its villains a bit more in order to be the best film. It sits snuggly behind RN for me.

As others have mentioned, GP was a Lewis Gilbert Mission Impossible film, whereas Rogue Nation was more like a John Glen flick.

That being said, I'd imagine Fallout will probably fall somewhere between the two previous films - so I think we'll all end up happy!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,602
    The PR machine continues smoothly. Love the words "The stunts are real" BIG and BOLD at the start, clearly trying to seperate themselves from other similar movies.

"Tom doesn't like green screen. The audience can tell when they've been cheated."

Not subtle but effective. How can you compete against that?
    The passion in his tweet is palpable. Got to love this guy for what he gives his fans.
    @bondjames Are you watching these clips? I thought you were trying to abstain?
    @patb I haven't seen any of the clips (apart from a quick viewing of the original teaser). I'm referring to his comments in the tweet above. I can sense the passion in his post.
    I can sense all our passion!! re this movie I have a theory of a big twist/reveal, just a gut feeling, thats all
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This looks like the film SP should have been.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Going to be a disgustingly long wait for this to come out. I need it now.
    Tom Cruise is one crazy sob. Reminds me a little of Jackie Chan, who risks his life for entertainment.
  • I was so impatient waiting for this trailer but now I wish I had never seen it, because it's going to make the wait for July a thousand times harder!
    I was so impatient waiting for this trailer but now I wish I had never seen it, because it's going to make the wait for July a thousand times harder!

I think I would've been better off holding off, as well! Wasn't ready for it to look so damn amazing. I knew it'd be good, but not this good.
    Rogue had very strong reviews, and would have performed MUCH better at the box office with better marketing. I'm glad they've learned their lesson. Fallout will be BIG.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If Hardy is the next Bond, Cruise can be his stuntman.
    Rogue had very strong reviews, and would have performed MUCH better at the box office with better marketing. I'm glad they've learned their lesson. Fallout will be BIG.
    That's a very good point. The marketing was indeed underwhelming and they moved it quite suddenly to that dead spot in holiday August when it opened against TMFU (and killed it). They seem to be doing a much better job of it this time around and the enthusiasm is building nicely. They have earned a lot of well deserved goodwill.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,551
    And even with weaker marketing, RN still performed fairly close to GP. I can easily see Fallout crossing the $700 million total this time around, if not more.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 462
    As long as they address the issues that RN's script had, this should be a fine film. It looks like they've learned their lesson with the marketing - the fact they built most of RN's marketing around a single stunt thirty seconds into the movie was really lame. A stronger villain would also be nice - we were supposed to believe Lane was a ruthless ex-MI6 agent based on the fact that he pretty much murders anyone in his way, but then he doesn't do anything to Furgeson's character despite her double crossing everyone repeatedly throughout the movie.

My personal ranking...
    1. Ghost Protocol
    2. III
    3. Mission: Impossible
    4. Rogue Nation
    5. II
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    The posters with the silhouetted stunts of previous films were cool though.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    As long as they address the issues that RN's script had, this should be a fine film. It looks like they've learned their lesson with the marketing - the fact they built most of RN's marketing around a single stunt thirty seconds into the movie was really lame. A stronger villain would also be nice - we were supposed to believe Lane was a ruthless ex-MI6 agent based on the fact that he pretty much murders anyone in his way, but then he doesn't do anything to Furgeson's character despite her double crossing everyone repeatedly throughout the movie.

My personal ranking...
    1. Ghost Protocol
    2. III
    3. Mission: Impossible
    4. Rogue Nation
    5. II

hmmm..we're sorta..but just sorta same :D Nice to see someone that likes 3 as well.

For me it's

1. GP
    2. III
    3. RN
    4: II
    5. M:I

idk, the original is too drama-ish for me :D
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    A stronger villain would also be nice - we were supposed to believe Lane was a ruthless ex-MI6 agent based on the fact that he pretty much murders anyone in his way, but then he doesn't do anything to Furgeson's character despite her double crossing everyone repeatedly throughout the movie.
    I certainly wouldn't criticize him for that. He's a guy after all!

Seriously though, I think he kept her alive because he thought he could use her. Ultimately she was being double crossed by her handler Attley.