Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Looks fantastic. I'm loving the cinematography as well.
    Wow
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Looks Impressive
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    That was awesome. Everything, the music, the locations, the action, that cast,. the upgraded cinematography... So looking forward to this
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Going to be one of my favorites of the year, I can already tell. Tempting to rewatch the trailer 100 more times, but going to try and hold off and not spoil too much of it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Barbara just said, “Crap”!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    talos7 wrote: »
    Barbara just said, “Crap”!

I said the same after watching Spectre
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lol! :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    MI:RN

I just wrapped up my pre-MI:6’athon with a viewing of the latest film. Loved it as always and still think it's the best of the lot. I feel that the scale of this one is much more intimate than MI:GP. I’ve said this before, but it really reminds me of a John Glen Bond film, whereas GP is more ‘Gilbert’ cinematographically (with more long distance photography) & conceptually (larger scale nuclear threat).

Once again as in the prior film there are some wonderfully conceptualized and realized set piece sequences here. The plane grab is decent to start things off, but in my opinion it’s the Opera sequence set to Puccini’s Turandot which is a real standout scene. It’s so well done, including the fight with the big blond (which reminds me of a Roger Moore/Richard Kiel encounter), the triple shooter redundancy, Hunt choosing to shoot the ambassador as a way out of the situation, and the escape from the Opera. I love the bike/car chase too (it’s probably my favourite chase sequence of the past 20 odd years & again reminds me of TSWLM for some reason). The underwater sequence is great also, and very tense. I’m not keen on the finale which pales in comparison to GP, but the fight between Ilsa and Janik is worth it (I wish it was longer). As with the prior film, it's the humour that makes this all work so well. Let’s be clear though, Ferguson as Ilsa makes this film. Without her I don’t think I would rate it so highly. As Cruise has said, they were very lucky to get her. She has great chemistry with him and they're a fantastic team. Moreover, the camera adores her and her character is silky smooth, icy cool and brutally efficient. A female James Bond if there ever was one. I’m so glad she’s returning for MI:6 Fallout and can’t wait to see her on the big screen as this character again. It’s close between this and GP for my favourite. There’s much in the earlier film that’s better, but Ferguson, the Opera sequence and car/bike chase give this one the slim win for me. I’m now pumped for MI6: Fallout. Bring it on!

EDIT: I'm afraid I am missing the trailer so as not to be spoiled but am really happy to read the comments from other members. Looks like it will be a great film!
  • Looks good, and a big old case of "This time it's personal!"
    I had the same goofy grin I had during the Rogue Nation plane sequence. This is what enjoying movies is about.

If you weren't thrilled by that then you may no longer have a pulse.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Amazing. Loved every shot of it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This film looks amazing. The locations, music, cinematography, set pieces, stunts, action....wow. Just wow. That fight with Cavil...looks brutal AF.

The next Bond film has A LOT to accomplish to get me remotely interested in it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That is some Tough AF competition right there.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Murdock wrote: »
    That is some Tough AF competition right there.
    Good. Competition is good; it encourages improvement.

---

I haven't seen the MI6 trailer either. I chose to remain in the dark until the release. The first MI film I'll watch in theaters.
    WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

This looks AMAZING!

Can't wait!

Great great great trailer
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Brilliant trailer. Alongside Cruise, I’m interested in seeing both Ferguson (that fox) and Cavill.

Somehow I don’t think the latter is who we think he’d be.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Brilliant trailer. Alongside Cruise, I’m interested in seeing both Ferguson (that fox) and Cavill.

I have wondered if Ilsa is maybe not who we think she is too.
    Just an idea.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Benny wrote: »
    I have wondered if Ilsa is maybe not who we think she is too.
    Just an idea.
    @Benny...
    I sincerely hope they don't make Ilsa Faust a villainess. It'd be Jim Phelps all over again. A stunt I did not appreciate.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not gonna lie, got a few slight SP vibes.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,695
    Trailers of Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation and Fallout:

If people are avoiding the trailer, can we openly discuss the detail? IMHO, I'm not sure what more you would want, just stunning. What would anyone from EON think watching that trailer?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    patb wrote: »
    If people are avoiding the trailer, can we openly discuss the detail? IMHO, I'm not sure what more you would want, just stunning. What would anyone from EON think watching that trailer?

To quote Hinx from SP...
    Despite being surrounded by Bond stuff (perhaps because of it?) , my two boys wanted to stay up for the MI trailer. They love MI and have little interest in Bond. IF they are typical, then Bond faces a rocky future IMHO. I wonder what the average age of a Bond fan is? I little like religion or the BBC, if the average age of the fan is rising, it's a real issue. And needs to be looked at.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,664
    I buckled and watched the trailer this looks fricking Awesome!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nice to see plenty of panic from "fans of Bond when another action movie comes out. Who immediately predict " panic " over at Eon.
    Craig's Bond films have made a fortune SF becoming the most successful British film of all time.
    Thankfully fans have no say in the making of the Bonds otherwise . They'd be jumping on every bandwagon going. To attract younger fans.
    The producers know what their doing. Producing some of the most successful and critically acclaimed films for years.
    Competition is good, keeps everyone on their toes. Although I wouldn't go predicting the end of Bond ...... just yet. Many have done so in the past and been proved wrong. ;-)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,664
    Bond endures I remember when the likes True Lies was released, there was claims that it was better than Bond, Art Malik was quite vocal at the time I recall. Bond eventually comes back with a great film, Bond has done that time after time.
    Here's the youtube link:

That just looks insane!!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It does look intriguing. First time I can say that about an MI movie.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Some thoughts:
    There is some very interesting dialogue/one liners here:

"did you ever choose not to"
    "the blood will be on your hands"
    "the fallout of all your good intentions"
    "the end you always feared is coming"
    "how long before a man like that has had enough?"

Obviously included in the trailer to get us thinking.

These are great lines and would look at home in the "tired Craig" genre (specifically SP). Perhaps linking previous missions but via their ramifications rather than linking them...well, we know what I'm referring to.

PS before the trailer, we discussed having an oriental actor. Who is the guy in the toilet fight scene? 1 min 40 secs

PPS that last quote. A clue? a bluff? Cruise's last? as I said, great dialogue

PPPS the price of an 80s BMW 5series just went up by 20%. Ultra cool

PPPPS Watching it again, I think that it's a big possibility that this will be the SP of the MI series and people will make that comparison. The trailer is very similar with the voice over sounding like Mr White and asking Hunt to look in on himself to almost justify/re-apraise his actions/past. I wonder, did McQurrie watch SP and think "OK, nice idea, but we can do better"?