Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I remember reading at the time. That many audiences cheered and clapped
    During Tom getting tortured in MI3, his reputation was getting so annoying.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    And now he's one of the few consistent, reliable stars in Hollywood. Love the turn around.
    He's not an actor I'm particularly fond off, but I really enjoy his MI films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    He's hit and miss for me. I didn't like a lot of his output during the 00's (loved his work from the 80s/90s) but since MI:GP he's regained my respect.

Amazing that he's been at or near the top for such a long time.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Looking forward to Fallout, it'll fill that Bond craving temporarily.
    It's odd why The Mummy 2017 failed. I thought it was ok on DVD but it was
    A major flop.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's odd why The Mummy 2017 failed. I thought it was ok on DVD but it was
    A major flop.
    It did well overseas but in the US got caught up to an extent in the politics (released around the time of WW - there was criticism of the female villain as setting a bad example and being a stereotype while WW was hailed as a role model).

It was average, but I think it had tonal & marketing problems. Those expecting something in the vein of the 90s films may have been surprised by the darker (and dark humour) tone.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I keep forgetting McQuarrie participated in the making of Valkyrie. Stellar film.

Some years ago, I heard McQuarrie was to adapt Ice Station Zebra from Alistair MacLean's novel and to direct it. I keep thinking that he will cast Tom Cruise in the role of the submarine's commanding officer.
    I keep forgetting McQuarrie participate in the making of Valkyrie. Stellar film.

Some years ago, I heard McQuarrie was to adapt Ice Station Zebra from Alistair MacLean's novel and to direct it. I keep thinking that he will cast Tom Cruise in the role of the submarine's commanding officer.
    Valkyrie is indeed excellent. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't viewed it yet. Tense and beautifully atmospheric. Bryan Singer did a bang up job.

I wasn't a fan of the original Ice Station Zebra (only saw it once). I have it on blu and may revisit soon. Perhaps I was just having a bad day.
    Enjoyed both and watched Valkyrie only last night. Ice Station seems to be shown in TV
    A lot.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I keep forgetting McQuarrie participated in the making of Valkyrie. Stellar film.

Valkyrie is indeed excellent. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't viewed it yet. Tense and beautifully atmospheric. Bryan Singer did a bang up job.

I wasn't a fan of the original Ice Station Zebra (only saw it once). I have it on blu and may revisit soon. Perhaps I was just having a bad day.
    True, @bondjames. But, that's partly because it wasn't adapted properly from the novel, which was a bit more tense, or perhaps it was due to a bit misconducted directorial style? I don't know... Even though I prefer the David Jones persona (Patrick McGoohan's character) to the literary counterpart of his, Dr. Carpenter.

I tried to like the first film adaptation of the novel, but I'm afraid it was dull and only contained a few good scenes despite the brilliant leading actors. I saw it at a time when I was newly exposed to both Danger Man and The Prisoner, and couldn't help fan-walking the whole character connection from the three of McGoohan's portraits.
    I honestly can't remember anything about it @ClarkDevlin, except being a bit disappointed (I shelled out a bit of money for the blu). I'm curious to revisit it now that you mention it, and see if I can enjoy it. I forgot that McGoohan was even in it (I remember Rock Hudson being the lead).
    McGoohan definitely steals the show, @bondjames. :D
    In a way that's not surprising @ClarkDevlin. I really must get my hands on Danger Man. He's quite an actor and some of the clips I've seen online of the old black and white episodes look interesting with lots of Bond alumni.
    I've been great at avoiding footage for movies and shows I don't want overly spoiled for me until I can see the finished product myself, but I can't help it with this trailer. The movie just looks so damn good and entertaining.
    Glad to read that @Creasy47. When I inevitably encounter the trailer in the theatres over the next few months as a preview I'm going to close my eyes. I did that with SW8-TLJ and it worked well enough. Sure I heard the dialogue, but it was still fresh on opening night.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    @bondjames I recommend you watching Danger Man (every single season), followed by Ice Station Zebra and afterwards The Prisoner (it's only one season story arc). There are many things worthy of discussion with this one, connecting all the three McGoohan characters into one.
    I will do that @ClarkDevlin and thanks for the recommendation. I'll begin my search for Danger Man tonight.
    You're welcome and hope you enjoy. :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Love it @DaltonCraig007. Once again, Cruise makes us remember classic Bond through MI.
    Okay yeah, that looks pretty great. Wish they hadn't given away so much of the helicopter stunt (I feel like we know how most of it is going to play out now which is a shame) but it looks very good.

What confused me though is how people rave about this while at the same time criticising the Craig era/SP. Obviously the stuntwork is on another level but fancy cinematography, drama around the main character's past coming back to haunt him, going rogue/up against his own government, conflict between M/Alec Baldwin and other government types, building it up as what all the other movies have been leading up to, the idea of "choosing not to" and the job weighing on him, sound familiar? That trailer felt a lot like the Craig era imo.

One word; execution.

The last few Bond films have failed imo to execute an exciting and thrilling total package. SP is by far the biggest offender of my complaint and over all disappointment. I could care less how much money Bond has made, it comes down to, do I like what I'm seeing and do I want to see it again. EoN know what they're doing? But do they really though? The series is too inconsistent and this is especially so for the Craig era. Mission Impossible aside from 2 have all been consistently great. The team behind those films definitely know what they're doing and this new trailer completely craps all over the last few Bind films. Just my personal opinion.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,372
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Love it @DaltonCraig007. Once again, Cruise makes us remember classic Bond through MI.
    Okay yeah, that looks pretty great. Wish they hadn't given away so much of the helicopter stunt (I feel like we know how most of it is going to play out now which is a shame) but it looks very good.

What confused me though is how people rave about this while at the same time criticising the Craig era/SP. Obviously the stuntwork is on another level but fancy cinematography, drama around the main character's past coming back to haunt him, going rogue/up against his own government, conflict between M/Alec Baldwin and other government types, building it up as what all the other movies have been leading up to, the idea of "choosing not to" and the job weighing on him, sound familiar? That trailer felt a lot like the Craig era imo.

One word; execution.

The last few Bond films have failed imo to execute an exciting and thrilling total package. SP is by far the biggest offender of my complaint and over all disappointment. I could care less how much money Bond has made, it comes down to, do I like what I'm seeing and do I want to see it again. EoN know what they're doing? But do they really though? The series is too inconsistent and this is especially so for the Craig era. Mission Impossible aside from 2 have all been consistently great. The team behind those films definitely know what they're doing and this new trailer completely craps all over the last few Bind films. Just my personal opinion.

Couldn't agree more. Seems like the MI team is pushing for excitement in a completely different way than EON. Not that the Bond films aren't exciting, but the last two have only delivered in the cinematography department. Could a car chase be less exciting? The SP one looked like it was in slow motion, almost – compared to what we've seen in previous films.

Edit: In writing that I'm pointing on an issue also involving the cinematography, though.
    cinematography shows potential
    25232858087_21a8994ed6_b.jpgfallout by pat.beardmore, on Flickr

I only hope they don't use any yellow filters in the snow sequences
    That fight in the bathroom looks pretty badass.
    Indeed. I have to remember that move to pull the shirt sleeves back :-).

• edited February 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Bond endures I remember when the likes True Lies was released, there was claims that it was better than Bond, Art Malik was quite vocal at the time I recall. Bond eventually comes back with a great film, Bond has done that time after time.
    Probably. It´s just that there never has been a backdrop of the last Bond film being really weak.

patb wrote: »
    I wonder, did McQurrie watch SP and think "OK, nice idea, but we can do better"?
    I think I would welcome that, as long as
    it doesn´t go the M:I3 route (which I doubt).
    mission-impossible-6-fallout-vanessa-kirby.jpg
    Very atmospheric. As expected, upping the style quotient again, as they've been doing recently.
    No doubt. I had initially forgotten about Kirby's character, so much going on in that trailer.
    This would have been very out of place in M:I 2. :bz
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Very atmospheric. As expected, upping the style quotient again, as they've been doing recently.

I've noticed that too. There's always been bits of Bond there (the gadgets, the stunts) but with the last couple and this one they seem to be going for the glamour/sophistication Bond has as well. There was the fancy black tie event at the end of the fourth one, the opera in the fifth one, and now this. All they need is to up the sex appeal and they are basically James Bond films at this point.