NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    AceHole wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    What if they reboot the character of Bond, but Daniel Craig keeps playing him? In a new continuity, of course.

:O

You having a laugh...?

I am. That's not going to happen, right?

Right?
    Ok so just matching shots. Thanks. :)
    Well it’s a bit more than that if you look at the pix posted today. The film combines 2 locations, in one shot pasting them together.

• I don't think it just happens. Chemistry in this sense is more of a vibe that one can relate to
    mtm wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    @MakeshiftPython @mtm I'm glad it worked for you guys and it's interesting we see differently.
    You both make great points on Bond not having a relationship with this M and M being a bit of fool commissioning the weapon, being shortsighted to see that it wouldn't fall into the enemies hands.
    I hadn't thought about either of them

I think it's that and also that this is a bioweapon, and those are against every rule - we've seen Mallory bend a rule but not like that, they're immoral. And the UK signed the Biological Weapons Convention back in the 70s: we just don't do it (Or does it having little robots in it mean it's technically not a bioweapon?)
    For me the jokes fell a bit flat, and I think it was because of were they came in the film. I was still processing Felix's death and then we have Bond cracking wise at M less than 5 minutes later. That shift in tone felt quite jarring during this scene

Ah okay, that's interesting- I didn't feel that on my first watch, I'll look out for it the next time. I thought the moment where Felix is mentioned and M stays honourable enough to break off his attack on Bond and pay homage to Leiter was a nice moment.
    And the Safin scene, when Bond starts saying `I'm sorry, I'm sorry...' It just felt weird, odd. This was definitely not the Fleming Bond, or even the cinematic Bond that we've grown up with.

Well he's mostly just tricking Safin there, but quite neatly it wrong foots the audience because we think his becoming a father has somehow weakened him. I quite liked that.

I like to be surprised by Bond sometimes.

Exactly. Safin at the moment is threatening the little girl and Craig Bond takes that as an opportunity to act like a terrified father begging for mercy when he was really just an act.

Are we to say it’s out of character for Bond to even do something like that?

I just don't think it was necessary to have this in a Bond movie. I appreciate for others, it was a refreshing change to see this new facet of Bond, a different side, but unfortunately it's not for me. I want Bond as a cold killer, like he is in LTK or CR.

He still is during that moment where he fakes begging. Once he grabs a hold of his hidden PPK he immediately switches it off and proceeds to swiftly kill all the guards. The only thing he didn’t anticipate was that Safin had an escape mechanism.

Yes, but it doesn't feel like Bond to me beforehand. Think Dalton in LTK, remaining silent as Sanchez questions him before throwing him onto the conveyer belt. That felt like a Fleming moment leaping straight from the pages for me, even though it never happened in the books.

I just couldn't imagine Dalton's Bond playing that Safin scene the same way Craig did, and I know this is down to the script and not the actors playing it. Maibaum really `got' Fleming, whereas I have never felt that with P&W.

This.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Interesting. I can definitely see Dalton playing that particular scene very similar to the way Craig played it. Especially with Mathilde being held by Safin.
  • I can't ever see or imagine Dalton faux begging as a means of distraction. I think Dalton's Bond would have done something different and something that didn't compromise the nature of the character as coming off looking so weak.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    I can't ever see or imagine Dalton faux begging as a means of distraction. I think Dalton's Bond would have done something different and something that didn't compromise the nature of the character as coming off looking so weak.

Exactly. The other jarring moment was Craig's acting when confronting Blofeld. This also seemed to step out of character.
  • Jimjambond wrote: »
    I can't ever see or imagine Dalton faux begging as a means of distraction. I think Dalton's Bond would have done something different and something that didn't compromise the nature of the character as coming off looking so weak.

Exactly. The other jarring moment was Craig's acting when confronting Blofeld. This also seemed to step out of character.

Yep. The exaggerated sarcasm about Blofeld's birthday and then him quietly telling Blofeld to die before raging at and choking him out and then yelling at Tanner about knowing how to interrogate an asset. It was not only out of character but sloppily handled.
  • That moment did feel a bit jarring and shoehorned in to me as well.
    Worst part for me in the film, acting wise. From M's office to Q's place, a 101 on bad acting, IMO. The rest of the film is a treasure trove of fantastic acting.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Univex wrote: »
    Worst part for me in the film, acting wise. From M's office to Q's place, a 101 on bad acting, IMO. The rest of the film is a treasure trove of fantastic acting.

Yeah I thought so too. It felt very rushed and improvised, maybe they had to rewrite it and film it sooner than they planned because of Daniel's injury?

Yeah I thought so too. It felt very rushed and improvised, maybe they had to rewrite it and film it sooner than they planned because of Daniel's injury?

Didn't think of that, but you may be right, @Jordo007.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

It makes sense in context because Bond is trying to behave like how would expect a normal father seeing their child threatened. No Bond actor was ever put in a situation like that, that’s why it’s a unique approach.

Yep. The exaggerated sarcasm about Blofeld's birthday and then him quietly telling Blofeld to die before raging at and choking him out and then yelling at Tanner about knowing how to interrogate an asset. It was not only out of character but sloppily handled.

Once again, it’s all about context. This is Bond five years after leaving the service and having lost his stoicism that protected him in the past. If you don’t care for that take, fair enough. But it’s not coming out of nowhere.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    Here is the problem. How can he, now they have killed Bond off, for another to be in his place, and M acts like nothing has ever happened? This is where it will really stretch the credibility of the franchise, and test the fans. I would like the current Scooby gang to return too, but EON have boxed themselves into a silly, unnecessary corner now.
    That's my take too. I said something similar on another thread. It would appear very odd seeing Ralph Fiennes giving the new Bond his mission in Bond 26 just after giving him his eulogy in the previous movie. It would just cheapen the dramatic ending of NTTD further for me.

Surely, if we're going down this route, what's stopping the producers from bringing back Judi Dench again as M in Bond 26?
    I really hope Dench is an exception. Though I loved her in SF, I never agreed to bringing her back in CR.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    I really hope Dench is an exception. Though I loved her in SF, I never agreed to bringing her back in CR.
    No, me neither @MakeshiftPython. That was my biggest complaint of CR. I loved the movie back in 2006, but the return of Judi Dench never sat well with me for obvious reasons.
    That's interesting. I hadn't given that scene too much thought, but I will on my second viewing. I suppose the worst part of the movie for me was buying into the Dr. Swann/Bond's blossoming romance. If one wasn't particularly sold on it in SP, then I can't see anything in the PTS that would've changed one's opinion of it in NTTD. Again, I do need to see the movie again, but I thought Bond was extremely rash in not believing the love of his life, to then drive her to the train station without any formal discussion and to end their relationship with a cold farewell. I only bought the scene in the context of the PTS because I believed their relationship was built on shaky ground to begin with, so pushing her away wasn't too difficult to swallow. Without going into a detailed plot analysis, it's one of the reasons why the third or final act doesn't hold together for me like it does for many others—I just didn't buy his deep love and underlying motivations.
  • I never had a problem bringing back Judi Dench, she was much stronger in the Craig films but it was really nice to have her back. I think her performance in CR is my favorite.
    I recall there was concern in casting her in GE that she would be too much of a powerhouse to Brosnan which is why her performances are more muted compared to her predecessors. But yeah once Craig got cast it felt like the gloves came off and she could chew Bond out as well as Bernard Lee and Robert Brown did.
    I recall there was concern in casting her in GE that she would be too much of a powerhouse to Brosnan which is why her performances are more muted compared to her predecessors. But yeah once Craig got cast it felt like the gloves came off and she could chew Bond out as well as Bernard Lee and Robert Brown did.
    I don't recall anything in the press about there being any fears Dench would be too much for Brosnan, acting wise. If anything, it created quite a positive buzz.

It makes sense in context because Bond is trying to behave like how would expect a normal father seeing their child threatened. No Bond actor was ever put in a situation like that, that’s why it’s a unique approach.

Once again, it’s all about context. This is Bond five years after leaving the service and having lost his stoicism that protected him in the past. If you don’t care for that take, fair enough. But it’s not coming out of nowhere.

The context isn't the problem which I acknowledge. The issue is how these scenes were terribly executed.

She calls Bond a sexist, misogynist dinosaur and a relic of the Cold War in her very first scene opposite Brosnan. That's the opposite of muted.

The context isn't the problem which I acknowledge. The issue is how these scenes were terribly executed.

That’s contradicting what you said, that you couldn’t imagine Dalton’s Bond faking submission
    Escalus5 wrote: »

She calls Bond a sexist, misogynist dinosaur and a relic of the Cold War in her very first scene opposite Brosnan. That's the opposite of muted.

I’m talking about her tone and composure.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I wandered over to read members' reviews of NTTD, ones who had just seen it maybe, with no major spoilers. This discussion thread has ... changed.

That’s contradicting what you said, that you couldn’t imagine Dalton’s Bond faking submission

Perhaps I Should have been clearer. I said I can't imagine Dalton faux begging and the implication was within the same manner as Craig, repeatedly apologising. This isn't just something I can't ever see Dalton doing but the other Bond actors too. It was a sloppily handled characters comprising moment to set up a moment to cause a distraction. Terrible showing.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Perhaps I Should have been clearer. I said I can't imagine Dalton faux begging and the implication was within the same manner as Craig, repeatedly apologising. This isn't just something I can't ever see Dalton doing but the other Bond actors too. It was a sloppily handled characters comprising moment to set up a moment to cause a distraction. Terrible showing.

To you, @Jimjambond ….your opinions are not universal truths.
  • peter wrote: »

Because I clearly said they were, right? Get over yourself.
    And I clearly could visualize Dalton doing that scene exactly, or close to, the way Craig played it. But probably time to drop this discussion point. Everything we write on this forum is our own opinion; 99% of it anyway. We definitely we see things differently at times; nothing wrong in that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8,491
    peter wrote: »

Thank you for the educated reply @Jimjambond … Lethal negativity is not healthy for one’s soul.
  • peter wrote: »

Thank you for the educated reply @Jimjambond … Lethal negativity is not healthy for one’s soul.

Save it. You could have avoided this had you bothered to actually read what I wrote instead of making a useless comment for the sake of trying to have something to say. "I can't see...", "I can't imagine..." clearly infers I'm speaking on behalf of the majority🙄
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8,491

Save it. You could have avoided this had you bothered to actually read what I wrote instead of making a useless comment for the sake of trying to have something to say. "I can't see...", "I can't imagine..." clearly infers I'm speaking on behalf of the majority🙄

@Jimjambond, just from this short and unpleasant exchange, you seem to be a very negative and frustrated individual. Certainly a very aggressive keyboard warrior. Or you’re reenacting a scene from the Timothy Dalton film running through your brain….
    Chill out my friend. It’s a movie. You didn’t like it, cool. But some really did like it. Accept those things you can’t change.