NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

1224225227229230294

Comments

  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,740
    I imagine DVDs still look amazing on a CRT set.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 13,619
    I don’t have a CRT set, but I still buy DVDs, unless they are those dual format releases. People can turn their noses up at DVDs, but I am not going to get conned/waste money by replacing my DVDs with Blu Ray, then all the Blu Ray with 4K, then 4K with inevitable 8k and so on.
  • Posts: 369
    LOL just get a UHD TV and the 4K disc. There will be no evolution for a good two decades after.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,622
    I don’t have a CRT set, but I still buy DVDs, unless they are those dual format releases. People can turn their noses up at DVDs, but I am not going to get conned/waste money by replacing my DVDs with Blu Ray, then all the Blu Ray with 4K, then 4K with inevitable 8k and so on.

    I only upgraded to Blu Rays because a great & big TV makes DVD's look like VHS.
  • Posts: 12,014
    Some of us are satisfied with DVDs, especially with today’s upscaling, and don’t have the money, time, and energy to upgrade every single time there’s a new format.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,622
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Some of us are satisfied with DVDs, especially with today’s upscaling, and don’t have the money, time, and energy to upgrade every single time there’s a new format.

    For what it's worth, I've seen 4k, and yeah, it looks better than Blu Ray, but not by enough that I can care. Blu Ray is where it ends for me.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,740
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I don’t have a CRT set, but I still buy DVDs, unless they are those dual format releases. People can turn their noses up at DVDs, but I am not going to get conned/waste money by replacing my DVDs with Blu Ray, then all the Blu Ray with 4K, then 4K with inevitable 8k and so on.

    I only upgraded to Blu Rays because a great & big TV makes DVD's look like VHS.

    I used to watch on a 32 inch HDTV and DVDs looked just fine on that. But when I upgraded to a 65 inch 4KTV, yeah, those old glorious DVDs didn’t hold up.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Posts: 2,532
    mattjoes wrote: »
    marc wrote: »
    Well, well, well! Felix Leiter, you old fraud. : )

    "Do you mind if we find Blofeld first?!"

    Felix_Leiter_%28Norman_Burton%29_-_Profile.png

    Your friend with the cat?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Posts: 13,619
    mattjoes wrote: »
    marc wrote: »
    Well, well, well! Felix Leiter, you old fraud. : )

    "Do you mind if we find Blofeld first?!"

    Felix_Leiter_%28Norman_Burton%29_-_Profile.png

    That is the same expression I have on my face, when I see people talking shit about the Sylvester McCoy era of Doctor Who. Pity, mixed with the knowledge that they are wrong. ;)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Posts: 2,563
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    You still watch dvds?
    I do. It's like 2003 in my house...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 39,477
    The DVD-to-bluray jump is absolutely worth the money. Bluray-to-4K, not so much, but I still bit the bullet and did so.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Posts: 1,221
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    My NTTD dvd arrived yesterday, an, of course, I watched it last night, fpourth viewing. And I still like it a lot. I also never had a problem with the ending, because I think, it was well execute. Just again I was taken in by the beautful cinematography, Linus Sandgren did a stellar job, up there with Roger Deakins' work on SF. And running for 163 minutes (157 on DVD) , it was not boring or dragging. And it is well-directed. If Fukunaga comes back, I would support it, and if fo, it were great if he get Sandgren back.

    You still watch dvds?

    Yes. I still live in the Medieval Age. I also use my telephone to make ... phone calls. :-B :-c
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,480
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The DVD-to-bluray jump is absolutely worth the money. Bluray-to-4K, not so much, but I still bit the bullet and did so.

    Agreed, seems like the TV would have to be massive for 1080p to suddenly not be good enough anymore.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Posts: 1,221
    I don’t have a CRT set, but I still buy DVDs, unless they are those dual format releases. People can turn their noses up at DVDs, but I am not going to get conned/waste money by replacing my DVDs with Blu Ray, then all the Blu Ray with 4K, then 4K with inevitable 8k and so on.

    This sounds as if you were my kind of man, Major! :-bd
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,480
    I don’t have a CRT set, but I still buy DVDs, unless they are those dual format releases. People can turn their noses up at DVDs, but I am not going to get conned/waste money by replacing my DVDs with Blu Ray, then all the Blu Ray with 4K, then 4K with inevitable 8k and so on.

    It's not really a "con", the technology is objectively better, and the choice is yours.

    Personally, I feel the improvements from DVD to BluRay were material, while the improvements from BluRay to 4K are not. This of course is based on the TV I have / am in the market for.

    Certainly if I was in the market for a 108" OLED or something insane, 4K would be more tempting.

    But all any of us really do is get the media we feel is worthwhile and stop when we want to stop, so in that regard, you and I are exactly the same.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 7,740
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The DVD-to-bluray jump is absolutely worth the money. Bluray-to-4K, not so much, but I still bit the bullet and did so.

    Right. I was already VERY selective of what blu-rays I wanted to replace my DVDs, now even more so with 4K.

    My rule is that I only go 4K if there’s a substantial upgrade in the new film transfer. I have the Criterion blu-ray of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, which is already reference grade quality so I don’t really see the need to upgrade 4K.

    At this point, I think I only have a dozen or so 4K titles. I do know I’ll upgrade for Bond, so long as they include the original sound mixes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,622
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The DVD-to-bluray jump is absolutely worth the money. Bluray-to-4K, not so much, but I still bit the bullet and did so.

    My TV is 4K, but that's only because it was all they had when I was buying. My next player might be 4K, so I may end up getting a few (TLD, LTK, Highlander...), but my collection will mainly stand as is on Blu Ray.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Posts: 13,619
    I don’t have a CRT set, but I still buy DVDs, unless they are those dual format releases. People can turn their noses up at DVDs, but I am not going to get conned/waste money by replacing my DVDs with Blu Ray, then all the Blu Ray with 4K, then 4K with inevitable 8k and so on.

    This sounds as if you were my kind of man, Major! :-bd

    Great minds, my friend.

    I have films on DVD that haven’t had a BR release, and films on DVD that haven’t even had an official DVD release.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 1,963
    Someone who is snobbish about such things can just leave so far as I'm concerned. Few of us on here have intimate knowledge of each others' economic situations. Not everyone can keep up with the evolving technology.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,622
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Someone who is snobbish about such things can just leave so far as I'm concerned. Few off us on here have intimate knowledge of each others' economic situations. Not everyone can keep up with the evolving technology.

    Yes, I don't even have a proper sound system because I can't afford thousands on it. But as I'm slightly hearing impaired, I probably wouldn't notice the difference all that much anyway. Heck, getting a 50" TV was like something I never thought I'd do, but the tv is pretty far from the sofa & I found it on sale at Cosco for $300 so I bit the proverbial bullet... DVD's don't look much like a real film experience on it, but Blu Rays definitely do. I streamed NTTD in 4K and it looked insanely clear- BETTER than theatrical. I don't need that level of clarity for the most part... especially on 20th Century movies.
    I know folks that have spent upwards of 10 Gees on their home theatre system, but I'd have to take out a loan for that level ...
  • Posts: 12,014
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Someone who is snobbish about such things can just leave so far as I'm concerned. Few of us on here have intimate knowledge of each others' economic situations. Not everyone can keep up with the evolving technology.

    Thank you, seriously.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,622
    Back to NTTD:
    So, for like 15 years Bond has been working towards his death, but he needs to have a kid first, so he can leave her fatherless... but it's okay because he's saving the world from programmable nanobots that can be like smart RNA (Someone has watched too many episodes of Star Trek or Stargate)... and his cuckoo sort-of-brother has been driving him TO this all along, and the new love of his life can be dismissed over flimsy circumstantial evidence even though he has a history of having been played by creeps in the shadows before, but, okay.
    A long time ago I felt TWINE was a bit contrived. Now it seems like a rather simple, straightforward plot.... ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2021 Posts: 12,454
    Never mind. I'll send you a PM, Chris.
    I do understand about not being able to accept something in a movie.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Posts: 357
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Someone who is snobbish about such things can just leave so far as I'm concerned. Few of us on here have intimate knowledge of each others' economic situations. Not everyone can keep up with the evolving technology.

    Thank you, seriously.

    To me one of the strange things about the modern World is how "mobile device" companies promote how "big" the screens are on their latest model are, and how you can watch movies on them, when in fact they are relatively tiny and pathetic by comparison with a TV screen. I imagine the many of the same people are buying the latest editions of both because they "must have it", but how do they reconcile the two in their minds if picture quality is so important to them?

    All the Bond movies must be available on demand from some streaming service so why bother trying to keep up with player tech anymore?

    Personally I don't feel the need to see every nostril hair and pimple on Daniel Craig's face, and am capable of arranging my furniture relative to the TV in such a way that I don't require a larger screen.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Posts: 357
    By the way, when Sean ripped off the girl's bikini top in the PTS to strangle her with it (to find out where Blofeld was) that bothered me. Very surprised and it was so off-putting. I was only 15 and didn't know what to expect from a Bond movie, but I remember that made me feel ... just skin crawling bad. It didn't last, and I enjoyed the rest of the movie. But I do remember that I thought about it a little after I left the theater, too.

    Yes, that's the frustrating thing about DAF for me, the tonal inconsistency

    Nasty late 60s / early 70s action mixed with dreadful late 60s / early 70s camp humour

    For me those things don't sit well together

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,622
    Seve wrote: »

    Personally I don't feel the need to see every nostril hair and pimple on Daniel Craig's face, and am capable of arranging my furniture relative to the TV in such a way that I don't require a larger screen.

    Yes. I concur! My 24" 1080 screen was fine. More than fine, but we moved, and suddenly the screen was 10 feet away instead of 5. Not my choice.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Posts: 357
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »

    Personally I don't feel the need to see every nostril hair and pimple on Daniel Craig's face, and am capable of arranging my furniture relative to the TV in such a way that I don't require a larger screen.

    Yes. I concur! My 24" 1080 screen was fine. More than fine, but we moved, and suddenly the screen was 10 feet away instead of 5. Not my choice.

    Perhaps you need to think outside the box?

    Furniture doesn't always have to sit close to the walls
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,622
    Seve wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »

    Personally I don't feel the need to see every nostril hair and pimple on Daniel Craig's face, and am capable of arranging my furniture relative to the TV in such a way that I don't require a larger screen.

    Yes. I concur! My 24" 1080 screen was fine. More than fine, but we moved, and suddenly the screen was 10 feet away instead of 5. Not my choice.

    Perhaps you need to think outside the box?

    Furniture doesn't always have to sit close to the walls
    Are YOU the last word in your living space? Well I'm not. I work with choices by others, and it's a democracy here.

  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Posts: 357
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »

    Personally I don't feel the need to see every nostril hair and pimple on Daniel Craig's face, and am capable of arranging my furniture relative to the TV in such a way that I don't require a larger screen.

    Yes. I concur! My 24" 1080 screen was fine. More than fine, but we moved, and suddenly the screen was 10 feet away instead of 5. Not my choice.

    Perhaps you need to think outside the box?

    Furniture doesn't always have to sit close to the walls
    Are YOU the last word in your living space? Well I'm not. I work with choices by others, and it's a democracy here.

    Persuade them then, you might find they agree?

    Or just sit them down and explain that...

    "If you move the couch do you know what you'll give?
    Odds are you will like what it is
    When the film arrives would you be seen on the settee
    By the merciless eyes of TV?

    You can't deny the prize it may never fulfil you
    It longs to thrill you
    Are you willing to try?

    The coldest blood runs through your veins
    They know your name"
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,622
    Seve wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »

    Personally I don't feel the need to see every nostril hair and pimple on Daniel Craig's face, and am capable of arranging my furniture relative to the TV in such a way that I don't require a larger screen.

    Yes. I concur! My 24" 1080 screen was fine. More than fine, but we moved, and suddenly the screen was 10 feet away instead of 5. Not my choice.

    Perhaps you need to think outside the box?

    Furniture doesn't always have to sit close to the walls
    Are YOU the last word in your living space? Well I'm not. I work with choices by others, and it's a democracy here.

    Persuade them then, you might find they agree?

    Or just sit them down and explain that...

    "If you move the couch do you know what you'll give?
    Odds are you will like what it is
    When the film arrives would you be seen on the settee
    By the merciless eyes of TV?

    You can't deny the prize it may never fulfil you
    It longs to thrill you
    Are you willing to try?

    The coldest blood runs through your veins
    They know your name"

    LOL!
Sign In or Register to comment.