NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TripAces wrote: »
    I only hate DAF because it's awful. Though I would still rather suffer though it than NSNA.

DAF is so awful that it is magnificent.

I concur!
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 735
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I only hate DAF because it's awful. Though I would still rather suffer though it than NSNA.

I concur!
    Ah, you all say what you might ... but for me there’s just something marvellously louche and appealingly campy about DAF, including some of the richest, most-darkly cynical dialogue in the series. And an easily top-five soundtrack, too.
    Feyador wrote: »

I concur!
    Ah, you all say what you might ... but for me there’s just something marvellously louche and appealingly campy about DAF, including some of the richest, most-darkly cynical dialogue in the series. And an easily top-five soundtrack, too.

You've just killed JAMES BOND! Is that who it was?
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    DAF makes Connery's Bond look loutish and sleazy. I think that's it biggest sin. It takes a character who was stylish and suave and turns him into a parody. Compare Connery in DAF to how he was in DN, it's like comparing Austin Powers to Bond, and it's pretty telling that the first Austin Powers movie took 90% of its jokes from DAF. It does have some clever dialogue, though, I'll give it that.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    DAF makes Connery's Bond look loutish and sleazy. I think that's it biggest sin. It takes a character who was stylish and suave and turns him into a parody. Compare Connery in DAF to how he was in DN, it's like comparing Austin Powers to Bond, and it's pretty telling that the first Austin Powers movie took 90% of its jokes from DAF. It does have some clever dialogue, though, I'll give it that.

There are some really bad moments in DAF , with `you just killed James Bond' about the worst. Connery is overweight and not taking the role seriously, the end on the oil rig is very lame, and some of the special effects are atrocious.

Having said all that, there is still something very appealing about DAF. Barry's score, the Las Vegas backdrop, the red Mustang, Kidd and Wint. They all add to a rather bizarre, slightly creepy 1970's Hammer Horror type movie, with a sinister undertone, despite the camp and witty one-liners.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 12,837
    But doesn’t “you just killed James Bond” have its roots in Fleming? He had fun with the idea of Bond as a celebrity hero in TSWLM and YOLT, with those little meta moments implying that the novels exist in Bond’s world. Don’t see why the filmmakers can’t do the same. Plus his catch phrase is him introducing himself with his real name, he’s never been all that inconspicuous a spy.
    Feyador wrote: »

I concur!

I completely agree for about the first two thirds. The PTS is dire, but after that I really enjoy it. It’s a piss poor follow up to OHMSS obviously, but I think it’s enjoyable as its own seedy, witty, darkly comic B movie take on the Bond formula. But then Blofeld reappears, the nastiness offsetting the camp disappears, and we end up in a pretty crap Roger Moore film from a writer and director who just couldn’t quite seem to nail that sort of Bond. The finales of DAF and TMWTGG both just reek of laziness to me. Being camp and fun doesn’t mean you can just half arse it. Thank god TSWLM came out firing on all cylinders.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Do you remember where in YOLT it pseudo-references the novels existing in-universe? It's my favourite of the novels but I don't have a perfect memory of it yet unfortunately :(
  • Do you remember where in YOLT it pseudo-references the novels existing in-universe? It's my favourite of the novels but I don't have a perfect memory of it yet unfortunately :(

In the obituary towards the end. There’s a very funny self-depricating bit, where M slags off the hack writer whose novels bear no resemblance to the real James Bond’s adventures (something along those lines anyway, not sure of the exact quote). And you’ve got great taste, it’s my favourite of the novels too.
    Do you remember where in YOLT it pseudo-references the novels existing in-universe? It's my favourite of the novels but I don't have a perfect memory of it yet unfortunately :(

In the obituary towards the end. There’s a very funny self-depricating bit, where M slags off the hack writer whose novels bear no resemblance to the real James Bond’s adventures (something along those lines anyway, not sure of the exact quote). And you’ve got great taste, it’s my favourite of the novels too.

Brilliant! That does ring a bell now that you mention it.
    slide_99 wrote: »

There are some really bad moments in DAF , with `you just killed James Bond' about the worst. Connery is overweight and not taking the role seriously, the end on the oil rig is very lame, and some of the special effects are atrocious.

Having said all that, there is still something very appealing about DAF. Barry's score, the Las Vegas backdrop, the red Mustang, Kidd and Wint. They all add to a rather bizarre, slightly creepy 1970's Hammer Horror type movie, with a sinister undertone, despite the camp and witty one-liners.

Connery is not taking it very seriously because the movie isn’t.He’s a little out of shape but he’d been away from the role for four years and signed up for DAF at the eleventh hour so there wasn’t enough time for him to get super fit.

I actually think he gives a great performance in the film as he’s clearly having fun and the elevator fight is his best since FRWL.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I only hate DAF because it's awful.

I'm of this frame of mind as well. I've put myself through some serious mental gymnastics over the years trying to find more appreciation for it; but aside from a handful of very funny lines of dialogue and Barry's score, the film is pants.

This right here, is exactly how I feel. I'm two films out from DAF in my Bondathon, and am already thinking about how it makes me want to take a shower to wash the sleaze away.

I know that we all age, and Connery was only human, but at 41, he looked as if he had been working a high stress 9-5 job.
    "Baw Haw? I don't own anything in BAWW HAUGHHWWWHWH!"

I have nothing further to add in a discussion about DAF.

I actually do like the two Blofeld's scene, though, to be honest.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    I love the DAF, despite the wackiness and the weirdness and the dull parts, but I know there are people that like it more than me out there. I have it at # 17 (which I consider pretty strong, sandwiched between NTTD and TLD). Maybe it’s because I first saw it in 1971 at a drive-in when I was nine years old, and it was really exciting. Those early impressions do not tend to leave me.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I love the DAF, despite the wackiness and the weirdness and the dull parts, but I know there are people that like it more than me out there. I have it at # 17 (which I consider pretty strong, sandwiched between NTTD and TLD). Maybe it’s because I first saw it in 1971 at a drive-in when I was nine years old, and it was really exciting. Those early impressions do not tend to leave me.

I was 11. My first experience with Bond. First love & all that...
    DAF was one of my first Bond movies, somewhere in the first few. TB was my very first, then LTK, and after that I know GF and DAF were two of the earliest ones I got to. I liked it a lot more as a kid, probably would have had it somewhere in the Top 15 at that time. For years now though I've considered it easily one of the weakest, so the nostalgia clearly wasn't as strong for me.
    None of you saw DAF in 35mm in a theater it seems. I first saw it that way and it was awesome. Who cares if it's different from OHMSS? It's not OHMSS it's DAF.
    The gay killers are just awesome.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Yes, it is really camp, maybe the most camp movie in the franchise.
    Stamper wrote: »
    None of you saw DAF in 35mm in a theater it seems.
    I did. At a United Artists cinema on Long Island. 5 years later my Dad & I were on a road trip & we went to Vegas. It still looked just like in the movie back then, and I was pointing out all the filming locations, and then DAF showed on ABC that evening in our motel!!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh this is a Diamonds Are Forever thread? Cool. It was my first Bond film in the cinema. I do not rate it highly at all, but I liked small bits of it and was initially dazzled.

Wint and Kidd were weirdly fascinating to me. Most all, I was introduced to Bond and a rather glamourous world, with Jill St. John looking to me (my 15 yr old self) to be pretty much what I aimed to turn into. I never came close, though I did wear hot pants to high school (we barely had a dress code back then). ;) I had already read at least one of the novels by the time I saw DAF. And loved them. So I was surprised at the whole lightheartedness on screen, dazzled by what seemed a wondrous life jetting here and there and being a famous super spy. It was fun for me. LALD was much more to my liking, and I carried on from there.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Some great nostalgia here!

To my 12 year-old-self on the east coast of Canada, I thought DAF the height of sophistication! And with my trusty audio-cassette recorder I stayed-up late to watch & record it's broadcast on ABC-TV in the mid-'70s, then played it back endlessly over winter evenings while doing my homework. So, naturally, I tend to forgive whatever faults others may find in it. Such responses are well beyond the objective ...

But I still don't see the supposed "sleeze," really ... and find Connery's performance appealing laid-back.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Oh this is a Diamonds Are Forever thread? Cool. It was my first Bond film in the cinema. I do not rate it highly at all, but I liked small bits of it and was initially dazzled.

Yes, amazingly this NTTD thread got hijacked somehow into a DAF thread. Maybe Blofeld is all behind this?

Yes, amazingly this NTTD thread got hijacked somehow into a DAF thread. Maybe Blofeld is all behind this?

But which one? Blofeld? Or Blofeld? Or maybe Dikko Henderson... or Franz Oberhauser...? ;)

But which one? Blofeld? Or Blofeld? Or maybe Dikko Henderson... or Franz Oberhauser...? ;)

It's just a jump to the left!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2021 Posts: 12,459
    By the way, when Sean ripped off the girl's bikini top in the PTS to strangle her with it (to find out where Blofeld was) that bothered me. Very surprised and it was so off-putting. I was only 15 and didn't know what to expect from a Bond movie, but I remember that made me feel ... just skin crawling bad. It didn't last, and I enjoyed the rest of the movie. But I do remember that I thought about it a little after I left the theater, too.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    By the way, when Sean ripped off the girl's bikini top in the PTS to strangle her with it (to find out where Blofeld was) that bothered me. Very surprised and it was so off-putting. I was only 15 and didn't know what to expect from a Bond movie, but I remember that made me feel ... just skin crawling bad. It didn't last, and I enjoyed the rest of the movie. But I do remember that I thought about it a little after I left the theater, too.

First time I saw it on DVD I put that scene on super slow-mo and paused at the money shot: "Yep. Nipple. I knew it."
    edited December 2021 Posts: 1,261

THIS One:

EDIT: chrisisall did beat me...

Iv always assumed the girl in the bikini was a Spectre agent.A honeytrap so to speak,and Bond was having none of it.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Bond was not meant to be a very nice guy. Fleming and Connery have both repeatedly stated that in interviews.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    At least Connery didn't slap her.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Connery slapping her with her own hand.

“Quit shlapping yourshelf