Weekly Bond Poll: Round 59: secondary Bond girls & helicopter flights

Comments

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,081
    Bond in BMW doesn't do it for me. As discussed in another thread, this sequence is completely lacking in suspense or tension. Bond has once again become a superman with every gadget or gimmick needed to dispose of his opposition and get him out of a tight spot. No ingenuity needed. Brosnan's smirking and grinning throughout the scene doesn't help. The rocket launcher through the broken window is really taking it a bit far. As someone has already mentioned, this feels straight out of a video game.

In contrast I love The Living Daylights car chase, particularly the updated gadgetry from the original DB5. The moment John Barry's synthanized score kicks in you know what's about to take place. Barry's score alone could win this battle, but then you've got Dalton's grounded performance. I love the line "I've had a few optional extras installed" before firing off the missiles at the roadblock. Despite the gadgetry, his deadpan delivery makes you believe the element of the silliness. I feel that the stakes are higher here too with the entire army chasing Bond down, he's clearly outnumbered. The back and forth between Bond and Kara is brilliant.

As for the second contest, I despise both, but I'll go with Blofeld in drag as it could be argued that its a little Flemingesque as Blofeld would often change his appearance in the books. The movie is already outrageously stupid and this seems fitting.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The second one is more surprising but you are not the only one who likes the special love scene. Am I right @Max_The_Parrot?

Spot on @goldenswissroyale 😝 Yes, I can’t help it, I am who I am, I love Dolly, I love Jaws, I love Dolly and Jaws, I love the outrageous cheesiness of it all, I even have a signed photo of Jaws and Dolly together, the only thing I’m missing is a Dolly and Jaws t-shirt but I’m still looking. Having said that, although my vote goes to Jaws and Dolly I quite like Blofeld in drag as well. After all it’s DAF and you’ve cast Charles Gray as Blofeld, did anyone really think Blofeld wasn’t going to appear in drag?

As for the car scenes again I really like both of them, I love that Pierce is clearly having an absolute blast during the sequence in TND, he’s just loving it and as a result so do I. With TLD I can’t help feeling Tim is having to channel all his actorly skills in a major effort to reluctantly deliver the Roger-styled one-liners in what I’m sure was one of his least favourite scenes, but it ends up working really well. In the end I’ll go for TND, when Pierce is happy I’m happy.
    Bless him, he’s me aged 7 racing my Corgi Lotus around the living room

ff7f849d8be65189c9c5576552cce79218911cf1.jpg
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TND and Jaws falling in love which I adore that scene :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Both car scenes are great. However, I do prefer the TND parking garage chase. It was sheer craziness in a small scale area that is fun to watch from start to finish. The TLD chase for me is only good until the "optional extras" where he blows through the truck. Then it goes kinda meh. The rocket booster is cool though.

Give me Jaws and Dolly. It's silly, but it's still better than Blofeld in drag, which is the worst part in actually one of my favorite, underrated film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    After careful consideration, I am giving this to TLD and lady Blofeld.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 2020 Posts: 2,627
    Yes, I can’t help it, I am who I am, I love Dolly, I love Jaws, I love Dolly and Jaws, I love the outrageous cheesiness of it all, I even have a signed photo of Jaws and Dolly together, the only thing I’m missing is a Dolly and Jaws t-shirt but I’m still looking. Having said that, although my vote goes to Jaws and Dolly I quite like Blofeld in drag as well. After all it’s DAF and you’ve cast Charles Gray as Blofeld, did anyone really think Blofeld wasn’t going to appear in drag?
    @Max_the_Parrot In googling “Dolly” I found some nice photos of Ms. Blanche Ravalec and Richard Keil from 2003 and 2004 (I think). Very sweet – and actually quite moving (*). That said, Blofeld in drag gets my vote. Is this the same criminal mastermind that had the entire world on the brink of war (YOLT) and biological disaster (OMHSS)? It is dumb, yet...it works (kind of ) in the context of the absurd nature of DAF.

As for the car scene, I’ll vote for TND as Pierce’s joy is infectious.

* Someday I’ll learn how to post pictures here 😊, but the instructions in that thread never seem to work for me.

The TLD chase is one of my favourite scenes in the series... must be Barry's score that does it.

And I'll take Lady Blofeld, who perfectly fits Diamonds' eccentric vibe and actually makes sense as a way to make an exit unnoticed.
    @2Wint2Kidd . This means that you prefer Jaws falling in love or did I understand you wrong? The idea was to vote for the better (less annoying) scene.

ooh so true. I read the question right but just highlighted the wrong choice. I've edited now.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Even though I love the Aston Martin V8, I find most of the action too cheesy and unbelievable. The laser separating the Lada? Even more unrealistically stupid than the original from the GF sequence. The missiles are OK and the rim cutting the ice is a nice slapstick idea, yet unbelievable. The TND sequence is more fun and enhanced by the fact that Pierce obviously thinks so as well. TND for me.

Jaws falling in love is fine, but the character should have died in the crash. Blofeld escaping in drag is actually a clever idea, especially in a Las Vegas setting. So this is a close one, but after re-watching the scenes I cannot stand the scene of Dolly and Jaws grinning at each other. Blofeld in drag!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    So many great comments! Good to read that most of you like or even love both car action scenes. Me too:). Interesting that for example @Octopussy isn't a fan of Pierce's play, while others see it as a big plus in this scene. Brozza really enjoys the ride, thanks for the picture @Max_The_Parrot (and I'm with you @Dwayne, I'm always struggling to post pictures...) Yes, there is no real tension here but this isn't necessary because it is great fun. Maybe Bond is a bit TOO happy after Paris' death but I don't care for her either.
    I would like to give my vote to both but I choose the V8 Vantage. It is more memorable and I prefer the location.

I'm surprised that so many of you like the love scene. Good for you! While a lot of fans go mad because of the double-pigeon (this doesn't bother me at all), my main issue with MR (apart from the pew pwe ending) is this horrible scene. I hate it, I really hate it. Painful and very embarrassing. The music makes it even worse. Dolly is cute, Jaws is somehow funny but this scene is way too much for me. Thinking about this scene is already enough that I need some medication.
    Don't get me wrong: Blofeld in drag is indeed the worst part in DAF (which means a lot when you think about the oil rig stuff or the PTS) and it is really an insult for the character. It is terrible, but not the ultimate terribleness of that love scene.
    Both car chases are fun and make good use of the cars and the gadgets. I defended the TND BMW in another thread recently as a fun and creative scene. However, I prefer the TLD scene in this case.

When you think about using a gadget-rigged car for the reboot that Dalton defined it was probably a bit of a risk since it was supposed to be closer to Fleming, the way FYEO did with its Lotus, but also part of what was expected of the series then. Somebody remarked about the laser being weak and I'd agree that's the worst part. I've never liked laser watches or other uses by Bond. But it was amusing watching those guys look of disbelief. The on-screen targeting with the rockets is good as a modern gadget and the outriggers. The loss of those makes Bond have to be inventive, so he's not entirely dependent on gadgets as he shows in the ice lake chase.

Part of why I like the TLD chase better is that Bond and Kara are being pursued by a whole army rather than just a few henchmen in TND, so the stakes are undoubtedly higher and even after the car self destructs the chase isn't over, it's part of a larger action scene (incidentally, I like the chase in the cello case). Dalton's drier sense of humor also works in these scenes.

I don't mind that Bond is smiling and having a good time in the TND scene. Others don't like it in that he should be mourning Paris's death, but I see it as a release he's smiling and relieved and that transfers to the audience. And I'm sure one day we will have cell phones you can drive a car from and we can look at that scene and say Bond was there first.

The second question is more painful as it showcases some of the worst of the series. These are two of the most iconic villains reduced to jokes. As both films are among the least serious and campy, neither are out of place, but doesn't make it less painful. I guess I have to go with Blofeld in drag. He was being targeted by agents and had to get out in any way possible. Where did he get the clothes, though? On second thought, I don't want to know. Could last week's poll candidates Wint and Kidd have helped out with that?

Jaws was already turning into a joke rather than intimidating, although the alley scene in Rio still had some of the suspense. But it was hammering it home to add Dolly. goldenswissroyale nailed what I felt about the music being the final straw. I don't mind the Close Encounters or Magnificent 7 music, but Romeo and Juliet was the worst. Any time Jaws now shows up it's like a roadrunner cartoon and little threat, just how will Bond get rid of him this time and in what manner or height will he survive from this time. The romance is key in helping turn the tide on the space station, but that's such a stretch.

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    TLD

Jaws
    I hate it, I really hate it. Painful and very embarrassing. The music makes it even worse. Dolly is cute, Jaws is somehow funny but this scene is way too much for me. Thinking about this scene is already enough that I need some medication.

I’m thinking now might be a good time to see if I can get a refund on your birthday present @goldenswissroyale 😝☺️🎂

DTS_MR-dolly-jaws.jpg

edited June 2020 Posts: 4,398
    :)>- @Max_The_Parrot I wouldn't mind getting this present and I wouldn't be ashamed to put it on my shelve. I despise the scene but Jaws is nevertheless an iconic character played by a likeable person.
    By the way, the picture above is from a member of our Fan Club in Switzerland. I met him several times at our events and I hope I can see parts of his collection once for real. His homepage is very impressive and interesting.
    His homepage is very impressive and interesting.

Agreed it’s one of my favourite Bond websites! Now if only you could persuade him to part with that Dolly and Jaws statue for me ....
  • peterpeter Toronto
    looking forward to the next round @goldenswissroyale !!!
    Good to know @peter and sorry for the delay.

Results of round 38:

Action with V8 Vantage wins against action with BMW 750 IL: 14 : 6

Jaws falling in love is slightly preferred to Blofeld in drag: 11 : 9

Round 39:

A) Which stunt do you prefer? Boat jump (LALD) vs. bike jump (TND)
    You can vote for the stunt work but also consider the way it is incorpoated in the film and how it is shot.

B) Which moment of the parkour chase in CR do you prefer? Catch the gun (2m40s) vs. Through the wall (4m18s)

It's always a good moment to rewatch this awesome action scene:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Boat jump and catch the gun.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The second one is easy for me, but the first?.....

The LALD boat chase goes on for too long, but there’s something about the easy-watching of the sequence that I still enjoy. The jump itself is well executed and a nice shot...
    But TND has really great beats throughout the sequence that builds up nicely to the big jump (starting with Bond and Wai Lin being handcuffed).
    I really do enjoy both, but the TND sequence keeps adding up its obstacles, making it more varied than the LALD boat jump. TND for the victory.

As for the CR parkour choice, I love watching Bond silently say “F*** it” and he smashes through the wall— says a lot about this Bond that he doesn’t have to do things the pretty way to get the job done (the blunt instrument in action), BUT, I got chills when he caught the gun, and, without hesitation, pitches it back at Mollaka, nailing him in the face. Gun-catch for the win.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526

Action with V8 Vantage wins against action with BMW 750 IL: 14 : 6

Jaws falling in love is slightly preferred to Blofeld in drag: 11 : 9

The right people kept their jobs. ;)

Bike Jump, Catch the Gun.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Boat Jump and through the wall.
    Boat jump and catch the gun.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    A) Bike jump

B) Through the wall
    Result for Dolly! 👍

For this week I’ll go for the gun catch a nice little Bondian moment I enjoy, and boat jump, that whole boat sequence is a favourite of mine, with its lashings of humour and Moore in charge.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Boat jump
    Gun catch
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Bike Jump
    Gun catch
    On my most recent re-watch of TND I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the bike chase, and knowing that they did the bike jump for real when they could have easily gone for cgi I think is really impressive. Truly one of the most underrated stunts in the whole series!

I love both these next two moments so much. I love the gun catch but the through the wall moment epitomizes the whole chase for me. I'll go for the gun catch as I especially love the moment where Bond throws it straight back at Mollaka. But a tough call.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Boat jump: It is fun and comes naturally. The bike jump feels forced, like in "what variation of a bike stunt has not yet been done?" and somebody comes up with jumping over a helicopter in flight. So a scene is constructed to make this halfways believable. In the end it did not have the desired "wow" effect for me.

Catch the gun: This was wholly unexpected and a great impulse by Bond. Through the wall is a bit cartoonish, 99% of walls cannot be broken by a human body, how was Bond to know that it was a Papier-mâché wall (and why would it not be made of wood?)
    I'll take bike jump for question 1. TND isn't one of the best loved films overall by fans or the general audience, but it's my personal favorite of the Brosnans. I really like it for its swift pace, minimal personal distraction and great action scenes, one of which the bike jump is. That whole chase is inventive, cuffed together adding creativity and for me the best motorcycle chase in a Bond film (sorry NSNA and SF). The jump is the capper along with the way Bond finally disposes of the copter.

The boat jump was a huge stunt for years and still a thrill. The problem with the overall boat chase is it's chopped up with too many cuts to what Pepper and the police are doing and too much comedy - wedding crashers, boats in pools, old guy in slow truck, etc. The capper to it, though, is one of the best with Bond's disposal of Adam, who I said in another thread is an underrated henchman. One of my favorite Bond publicity stills is the one of Moore with a martini with that explosion in the background.

CR's parkour sequence was one of the most refreshing action scenes in years and a great start for the Craig era. Here was the series back to being inventive and incorporating something probably not a lot of the general audience had seen or heard of before which the series had often done in the previous decades.

My choice is Catch the gun. It could look like a superhero moment, something Batman would do. But Craig and Campbell (or the second unit director) make it just scream Bond cool. Here's Bond hundreds of feet up facing down the barrel of a gun and even Molaka throwing it could knock him off balance and he responds in the coolest way. I silently cheered that scene when I saw it the first time. Jason who?

I've seen criticisms of Through the wall before. It's a little over-the-top but not outrageous. I like it because it shows how doggedly determined Bond is. We saw this determination to catch a villain in other films and it shows the genesis of it here with him that way in the beginning of his 00 career.