No Time To Die - Foreign Translations

135

Comments

  • edited October 2019 Posts: 5,200
    “Sem tempo para morrer”

    Should be the title in Portuguese. Sounds good, a literal translation, as it was in Spanish.
    Or...
    “Não é tempo de morrer”

    Personally I prefer the first option.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Posts: 995
    In German Bond's phrase was "Wer immer sie war, sie hat den Hauch des Todes gespürt" ("whoever she was, she must have felt the whiff (?) of death").
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    Univex wrote: »
    “Sem tempo para morrer”

    Should be the title in Portuguese. Sounds good, a literal translation, as it was in Spanish.
    Or...
    “Não é tempo de morrer”

    Personally I prefer the first option.
    Univex wrote: »
    “Sem tempo para morrer”

    Should be the title in Portuguese. Sounds good, a literal translation, as it was in Spanish.
    Or...
    “Não é tempo de morrer”

    Personally I prefer the first option.

    The Brazilian title will surely coincide with Latin America.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Posts: 3,195
    Still no word from Universal Brasil
  • mattjoesmattjoes matthaujoes
    Posts: 4,243
    Hurry up, Universal Latin America, so I can get that tattoo! :))
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    Okay, so far we've got...

    Germany: Keine Zeit Zu Sterben
    Spain: Sin Tiempo Para Morir
    Ukraine: НЕ ЧАС ПОМИРАТИ

    No word on Latin America/Brazil, France and Italy yet
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Posts: 3,195
    Still nothing. Universal Brazil told me yesterday that the title will be revealed with the "imminent" trailer release.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 2,710
    Sounds promising.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 5,200
    Yes, it really does. Seems like everyone's getting good and ready.

    We, of course, are more than ready.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2,710

    No way. Basically it's the same title used in Italy for DAD back in 2002: La morte può attendere (lit. translation: Death can wait.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited October 2019 Posts: 544
    Same I tought, but they got the info straight from Universal France.

  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Posts: 252
    It's a fine translation, and I'm glad they indeed translated the title this time (even if, technically, Casino Royale was in French).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,993
    As a non-native French speaker (well...not that proficient, but anyway, I learned French for some time and find my way in France), I agree that the "translated" title sounds ok, but the similarities among the French (and other foreign-language) titles of NTTD and DAD betray a disturbing lack of creativity and ingenuity by the producers.

    There are simply too many titles containing "die" or "kill", and all except one (LALD) are NOT original Fleming titles (no, not even AVTAK, since the totally unrelated story it was borrowed from was called "From a View to a Kill"). That one and "Licence to Kill", "Tomorrow Never Dies", "Die Another Day" and now "No Time to Die" are quite a boring, repetitive collection of vacuous, characterless and interchangeable speech bubbles. Calling Bond 24 "Spectre" wasn't too inventive either, by the way, since it could have been used for every single movie in which SPECTRE played a role as well. I think a movie title should pinpoint and relate to a plot element or character appearing in that movie ONLY, at least at the time of release.

    That's not even considering the foreign-language titles with the same issue, like "On a Deadly Mission" (In tödlicher Mission) as German title of FYEO, "The Breath of Death" (Der Hauch des Todes) in German and "Killing Is not a Game" (Tuer n'est pas jouer) in French as the respective titles for TLD.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,157
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    There are simply too many titles containing "die" or "kill", and all except one (LALD) are NOT original Fleming titles (no, not even AVTAK, since the totally unrelated story it was borrowed from was called "From a View to a Kill"). That one and "Licence to Kill", "Tomorrow Never Dies", "Die Another Day" and now "No Time to Die" are quite a boring, repetitive collection of vacuous, characterless and interchangeable speech bubbles. Calling Bond 24 "Spectre" wasn't too inventive either, by the way, since it could have been used for every single movie in which SPECTRE played a role as well. I think a movie title should pinpoint and relate to a plot element or character appearing in that movie ONLY, at least at the time of release.

    +1
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    Just a little bit of humour regarding foreign titles

    Sin-t-tulo.jpg
  • Posts: 4,669
    Well, DN in Italy is called Licence to Kill, so...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Hamburg, near the Atlantic Hotel
    Posts: 5,993
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, DN in Italy is called Licence to Kill, so...
    Doesn't really seem necessary, does it? But quite apart from my issue with the original (non-Fleming) titles of the Bond movies, distribution titles in foreign countries are often among the most stupid and cringe-inducing ones imaginable, apparently catering to the worst instincts of a supposedly uneducated, dim-witted target audience. Don't even get me started...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 2,710
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Calling Bond 24 "Spectre" wasn't too inventive either, by the way, since it could have been used for every single movie in which SPECTRE played a role as well. I think a movie title should pinpoint and relate to a plot element or character appearing in that movie ONLY, at least at the time of release.

    Well, SP title references not only the obvious organization, but Blofeld as a shadowy specter that hunts Bond from the past. Without mentioning all the dead are alive imagery etc.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Posts: 3,157
    Just a little bit of humour regarding foreign titles

    Sin-t-tulo.jpg

    :))
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, DN in Italy is called Licence to Kill, so...
    Doesn't really seem necessary, does it? But quite apart from my issue with the original (non-Fleming) titles of the Bond movies, distribution titles in foreign countries are often among the most stupid and cringe-inducing ones imaginable, apparently catering to the worst instincts of a supposedly uneducated, dim-witted target audience. Don't even get me started...

    But that's the reason LTK was title "Private Revenge" in Italy, which sounds much better than the generic LTK :D
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    Posts: 190
    New confirmed title translation. In Portugal, NTTD will be 007: Sem Tempo para Morrer. Confirmed by NOS (portuguese distributor) and MGM. To those who speak portuguese, you can read the news here:
    https://mag.sapo.pt/cinema/atualidade-cinema/artigos/james-bond-no-time-to-die-ja-tem-titulo-oficial-em-portugues
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Posts: 544
    HMBFF wrote: »
    New confirmed title translation. In Portugal, NTTD will be 007: Sem Tempo para Morrer. Confirmed by NOS (portuguese distributor) and MGM. To those who speak portuguese, you can read the news here:
    https://mag.sapo.pt/cinema/atualidade-cinema/artigos/james-bond-no-time-to-die-ja-tem-titulo-oficial-em-portugues

    Nice finding @HMBFF!
  • Posts: 5,200
    HMBFF wrote: »
    New confirmed title translation. In Portugal, NTTD will be 007: Sem Tempo para Morrer. Confirmed by NOS (portuguese distributor) and MGM. To those who speak portuguese, you can read the news here:
    https://mag.sapo.pt/cinema/atualidade-cinema/artigos/james-bond-no-time-to-die-ja-tem-titulo-oficial-em-portugues
    Boa! Soa bem!
  • Posts: 13,100
    matt_u wrote: »

    No way. Basically it's the same title used in Italy for DAD back in 2002: La morte può attendere (lit. translation: Death can wait.

    That's what I said before.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,733
    Options:

    Geen Tijd om dood te gaan
    Geen Tijd om te sterven
    Niet de tijd om dood te gaan (Not the time to die)
    Niet het moment om dood te gaan (This is not the moment to die)


    ''It's not my time to go'' sings Madonna ;) = Het is Niet mijn tijd om te gaan.
    Short translation: Ik ga nog niet = I don't go yet.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Posts: 3,195
    Univex wrote: »
    HMBFF wrote: »
    New confirmed title translation. In Portugal, NTTD will be 007: Sem Tempo para Morrer. Confirmed by NOS (portuguese distributor) and MGM. To those who speak portuguese, you can read the news here:
    https://mag.sapo.pt/cinema/atualidade-cinema/artigos/james-bond-no-time-to-die-ja-tem-titulo-oficial-em-portugues
    Boa! Soa bem!

    Gostei também. :)
  • Posts: 2,922
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Posts: 1,179
    antovolk wrote: »

    No Greek translation... I hope this doesn't mean the title won't be translated into Greek, just that it wasn't included in the video.

    PS: I really hope this is just the beginning of today's celebrations. Very underwhelming if all we get is a bunch of title translations...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 2,710
    No Italian translation. Hopefully won’t be translated at this point.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Posts: 3,195
    So I suppose SEM TEMPO PARA MORRER is the official Brazilian title, since we have two frames with this translated title. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.