NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    ertert wrote: »
    @ColonelSun , @peter

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the "Flashback" scene, Safin's mask and facial disfigurements, etc. if you have any interest in kindly sharing.

This trailer gave us so much to chew on I feel like I have no clue where this could all lead.

I suspect, just suspect, the Norway Ice Lake scene opens the film, but it is simply set in the past like the GE pre-title was set in the past, so it is not a flashback in that sense. Later in the film, we will connect the past to the present. And then we will understand the true significance/meaning of that opening scene.

Was thinking about this possibility too, considering how Fukunaga plays with time in his filmography. If true, I'd bet the opening segment ends on a cliffhanger where we saw Safin waiting for her to drown under the ice. Towards the end of the film, when the audience are no longer thinking about that scene, it'll very gradually transition into the sequence and the audience won't have realized it until it happens if they do it right.
  • 007_Austria007_Austria Austria
    Has anyone speculated about Safin’s accent? It’s not quite Malek’s normal accent (though there is some of that too) and seems to be intentionally “foreign”. I wonder what nationality is he supposed to be. Or is he like Blofeld (of the 60s) who’s supposed to be ambiguously “European” but no clear nationality is defined.

Didn’t Danny Boyle plan to have a Russian villain? Safin doesn’t sound like a Russian last name but his accent could pass for Russian (maybe). On the other hand the way he pronounces “kill” isn’t particularly Russian or Slavic sounding. It would be a hard “L” sound. But he makes a soft “L” sound. I know Malek is of Middle Eastern descent but I’m positive he’s not playing a Middle Eastern character. Nor does he look Oriental, despite the Japanese set design.

Any thoughts?

To me, the first part of the monologue in the film sounds indeed Russian... but after "my own reflection" I have kind of the feeling that this could be a slight French accent?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond films hardly ever got accents right. I wouldn t think about that too much.

right, am just curious because Malek doesn't usually speak like that
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 490

Yeah it took me a second. Especially cause I'm a massive Mr. Robot fan where he speaks with his normal American accent. I thought it would be cool for him to keep that in this film as how long as it been since there was an American villan? TLD? Anyways, I really can't place it. Does not sound Russian to me.

I'm not sure he would be opposed to playing a villain of Middle Eastern origin since that's what he is in real life but I know he was clear he would not be playing an Islamic terrorist, understandably so.
  • Could it be possible that Safin is the man to whom Madeleine refers in SP that she killed when she was a girl? Either she shot him and he didn't die (she just thought he did) or he's now a clone, hence the "Your skills die with your body; mine will survive long after I'm gone" line.

I have no idea. I'm just throwing stuff at the wall. This speculation is WAY too much fun.
    Could it be possible that Safin is the man to whom Madeleine refers in SP that she killed when she was a girl? Either she shot him and he didn't die (she just thought he did) or he's now a clone, hence the "Your skills die with your body; mine will survive long after I'm gone" line.

I have no idea. I'm just throwing stuff at the wall. This speculation is WAY too much fun.

Well
    in the leaked description of the cabin scene, it mentions the girl shoots and kills one of the men. You can see bullet holes in Safin's jacket
    so he is wounded also.

I agree that it fits very well with the story she told in Spectre and would make a lot of sense as a way to dig into her backstory like Cary seems to want to do.
    Could it be possible that Safin is the man to whom Madeleine refers in SP that she killed when she was a girl? Either she shot him and he didn't die (she just thought he did) or he's now a clone, hence the "Your skills die with your body; mine will survive long after I'm gone" line.

haha, and it will probably go on til April... fun times ahead
  • ertert wrote: »

I agree that it fits very well with the story she told in Spectre and would make a lot of sense as a way to dig into her backstory like Cary seems to want to do.

I love that Cary wants to incorporate more of her backstory and have her be more than either a love interest or sacrificial lamb. I was so happy when the trailer started with Bond and Swann arguing over "secrets."
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Contraband wrote: »
    Which means that Safin is not aging or have been cloned since he fights Bond in the present.

After all, the film is called No Time to Die...

Handled the right way, eugenetic as the main concept behind the villain masterplan sounds exciting. Maniac already had strong and brilliant sci-fi elements. Fukunaga is no Tamahori.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Which means that Safin is not aging or have been cloned since he fights Bond in the present.

This could be the key right here. No Time to Die with all the terrible plans he has for the world.
    matt_u wrote: »

Handled the right way, eugenetic as the main concept behind the villain masterplan sounds exciting. Maniac already had strong and brilliant sci-fi elements. Fukunaga is no Tamahori.

+1
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Over 8 million views on the UK version, and still #1 Trending :D
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 642
    ertert wrote: »

Yeah it took me a second. Especially cause I'm a massive Mr. Robot fan where he speaks with his normal American accent. I thought it would be cool for him to keep that in this film as how long as it been since there was an American villan? TLD? Anyways, I really can't place it. Does not sound Russian to me.

I'm not sure he would be opposed to playing a villain of Middle Eastern origin since that's what he is in real life but I know he was clear he would not be playing an Islamic terrorist, understandably so.
    Haha Malek already played an Islamic terrorist back in 2010 on a few episodes of “24” (season 8). He gets blowed up real good after Jack Bauer throws him into an air-lock chamber of sorts. That was the first time I ever saw him and remember thinking “what a creepy little dude” LOL! Those bug eyes, yikes!! Who would have ever thought that some day he would be a major star and join the sacred ranks of Bond villainy? Not as a mere henchman, but the MAIN VILLAIN. To join the ranks of Goldfinger, Blofeld, Drax, Zorin. That’s no small feat!

• Has anyone speculated about Safin’s accent? It’s not quite Malek’s normal accent (though there is some of that too) and seems to be intentionally “foreign”. I wonder what nationality is he supposed to be. Or is he like Blofeld (of the 60s) who’s supposed to be ambiguously “European” but no clear nationality is defined.

Didn’t Danny Boyle plan to have a Russian villain? Safin doesn’t sound like a Russian last name but his accent could pass for Russian (maybe). On the other hand the way he pronounces “kill” isn’t particularly Russian or Slavic sounding. It would be a hard “L” sound. But he makes a soft “L” sound. I know Malek is of Middle Eastern descent but I’m positive he’s not playing a Middle Eastern character. Nor does he look Oriental, despite the Japanese set design.

Any thoughts?

To me, the first part of the monologue in the film sounds indeed Russian... but after "my own reflection" I have kind of the feeling that this could be a slight French accent?
    Hey you might be onto something there. I didn’t even think French but that’s a good possibility!
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 1,215
    After watching the trailer I’m inclined to believe the rumour that the genetic warfare isn’t with regards to cloning, but
    Safin using genetics to breed a form of malicious algae that will destroy the worlds oceans and cause catastrophic ecological damage. You can see in this image that behind Nomi are some tanks containing some sort of marine plant life.
    W6rU4DHs_o.png
    This is in keeping with the theme of current/zeitgeisty villain schemes during the Craig era. A plot like that is the perfect blend of a high-stakes, world threatening danger, while being rooted in current, real world issues and threats.
    2006 - Post 9/11 terrorism
    2008 - Corrupt political influence/lobbying
    2012 - Cyberterrorism/Julian Assange
    2015 - Mass Surveillance/Edward Snowden
    2020 - Climate Change/Ecology/Biological Warfare
    I don’t think the young Madeleine piece has much to do with cloning but is moreso about establishing her personal connection to Safin. In a sense Safin is to Madeleine what Blofeld is to Bond.
    Cloning? We getting an Agent Under Fire plot? LOL
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I say this periodically; there is nothing that will or could be done in this or any other film that could not be compared to something that’s previously been done. Modern audiences are very sophisticated and jaded.
  • Has anyone speculated about Safin’s accent? It’s not quite Malek’s normal accent (though there is some of that too) and seems to be intentionally “foreign”. I wonder what nationality is he supposed to be. Or is he like Blofeld (of the 60s) who’s supposed to be ambiguously “European” but no clear nationality is defined.

Any thoughts?

For the record, Safin is indeed a Russian surname. There are several well-known Russian Safins, (feminine Safina), especially Marat Safin, the tennis player.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    talos7 wrote: »
    I say this periodically; there is nothing that will or could be done in this or any other film that could not be compared to something that’s previously been done. Modern audiences are very sophisticated and jaded.

The fact it's already been done is not a good argument. At all.
  • octofinger wrote: »
    Has anyone speculated about Safin’s accent? It’s not quite Malek’s normal accent (though there is some of that too) and seems to be intentionally “foreign”. I wonder what nationality is he supposed to be. Or is he like Blofeld (of the 60s) who’s supposed to be ambiguously “European” but no clear nationality is defined.

Any thoughts?

For the record, Safin is indeed a Russian surname. There are several well-known Russian Safins, (feminine Safina), especially Marat Safin, the tennis player.

As well, the plates of the Defenders in the (presumed) finale have Russian plates.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 642
    octofinger wrote: »

Any thoughts?

But Marat is not a Russian name. Sounds Central Asian. Like Chechen or one of those breakaway Islamic regions over which Russia has influence.

EDIT: Marat Safin is a Tatar. I just checked. Born in Moscow so he played for Russia.
    After watching the trailer I’m inclined to believe the rumour that the genetic warfare isn’t with regards to cloning, but
    Safin using genetics to breed a form of malicious algae that will destroy the worlds oceans and cause catastrophic ecological damage. You can see in this image that behind Nomi are some tanks containing some sort of marine plant life.
    W6rU4DHs_o.png
    This is in keeping with the theme of current/zeitgeisty villain schemes during the Craig era. A plot like that is the perfect blend of a high-stakes, world threatening danger, while being rooted in current, real world issues and threats.
    2006 - Post 9/11 terrorism
    2008 - Corrupt political influence/lobbying
    2012 - Cyberterrorism/Julian Assange
    2015 - Mass Surveillance/Edward Snowden
    2020 - Climate Change/Ecology/Biological Warfare
    I don’t think the young Madeleine piece has much to do with cloning but is moreso about establishing her personal connection to Safin. In a sense Safin is to Madeleine what Blofeld is to Bond.

I think that's all true and I saw the same stuff in the trailer but there's gotta be more to it especially with how Malek looks like an old man and his appearance changes so dramatically .

Any thoughts?

But Marat is not a Russian name. Sounds Central Asian. Like Chechen or one of those breakaway Islamic regions over which Russia has influence.

EDIT: Marat Safin is a Tatar. I just checked. Born in Moscow so he played for Russia.

• edited December 2019 Posts: 17,241

Any thoughts?

Marat looks to be of Tatar origin:
    Marat is a common given name for males from the former Soviet republics. Marat's language of origin is the Tatar language.

I believe one of the Russian plates had the region code 95, belonging to the Chechen Republic.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, here. Volga Tartars are indeed Russian.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Walecs wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

The fact it's already been done is not a good argument. At all.

I think you’re missing my point; good or bad is irrelevant, it just that so much has been produced, both on film and in cinema that there’s a tendency for people to compare some new to something that’s been done before.
    I guarantee that when NTTD is released, there will be post that break down virtually every scene and element and compare then to past works. The implication is often that it’s a ripoff and “ lazy “ This is for the most part unfair and can diminish the enjoyment of a new film.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, here. Volga Tartars are indeed Russian.
    I’m just saying Marat is not a Russian name. The way Sergei or Pavel or Vladimir are. Just like Abdul is not an American name, even if one happens to be an American citizen.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I do hope the plot doesn’t involve cloning. Just seems too science fiction for a Craig-Bond film.
    +1
    A big splashy Bond epic with a sci-fi plot would be disastrous for Craig's Bond.

He needs to stay in the real world.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,665
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I do hope the plot doesn’t involve cloning. Just seems too science fiction for a Craig-Bond film.
    +1
    A big splashy Bond epic with a sci-fi plot would be disastrous for Craig's Bond.

He needs to stay in the real world.

Cloning isn't sci-fi.

Just saying.

But there's much more to genetics engineering than cloning. I do think we're talking about genetic engineered pathogens, through some algae culture.