NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Trailer looks good. Love the end scene. However, I still struggle to really believe Craig is Bond. He's getting less attractive as time goes on (I guess we do, fair enough!) but I dunno, I just can't accept him as Bond. I've tried for fifteen long years but I can't. Sorry. I still love the concept of Bond but I just wish someone more more charismatic and Bond handsome had got the role back in 2005.

I'm sorry to drag this carcass of a debate back but the trailer - although cool - is tainted by Craig's casting. My brutal honest opinion. The pain of his casting still hurts so I don't care if anyone is offended by my comment. I've had the pain too, y'know. 15 years of it. Anyway, trailer looks good. I just can't lie and say "amazing trailer, Craig is awesome" when I've never thought he was. The photography looks great.

Just out of interest, who was your choice before EoN cast Craig? I think he's been absolutely fantastic in the role. I'm dreading him leaving and some bland, male model type being in the role. It's been recalibrated by Craig and has elevated the series. I dread Cavill being cast.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    talos7 wrote: »
    DJCLE84 wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    The Italian dubbing definitely says "you" not "him". Sorry to break it to you

I can only hear 'him'

it sounds like "him".. but he is in fact saying "you"

It’s clearly “ him”

it makes zero sense on any contextual level with he trailer that he says "him" - who is the "him" he is referring to? Safin?.. if thats the case then why would Bond care?.. "fine, let her secret be the death of him, i'm heading back to jamaica." (and roll credits)... you have to also take into context what he is saying to James directly before then as well - "James... you gave up everything for her, when he secret finds it's way out, it'll be the death of you."... ending it with 'him' makes absolutely no sense, as he was speaking to James about everything he gave up to be with her, so in doing so, he's put his own life at risk, rather than thinking it was going to be happily ever after..

Safin? Yes, he very well could be referring to him. It’s more than likely that Bond is at the prison to question Blofeld about Safin and his threat.
    The connection to Swann is a complication that Blofeld is exploiting to get into Bond’s head.

"you gave up everything for her......... it'll be the death of him."..... sorry man, the wires just don't connect for me.
    Can't stop rewatching the trailer (I expected this would happen...). I'm trying to not get my hopes up too high, but it certainly brings a lot of excitement every time I look at it. I agree with @talos7 there is some misdirection in the trailer (for instance, I'm pretty sure Nomi will indeed be 007, but they conveniently left it out in the trailer, just calling her a "00"; I wouldn't even be surprised in the final film if the line from Craig instead of "You're a double OO?" is "So you're the new 007" or something to that effect). My favorite line is "History isn't kind to men who play God"; very Bondian line/moment. I'm most optimistic Safin is going to be a fantastic villain; just based on the trailer, he's the most intimidating Bond villain in many years.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

it makes zero sense on any contextual level with he trailer that he says "him" - who is the "him" he is referring to? Safin?.. if thats the case then why would Bond care?.. "fine, let her secret be the death of him, i'm heading back to jamaica." (and roll credits)... you have to also take into context what he is saying to James directly before then as well - "James... you gave up everything for her, when he secret finds it's way out, it'll be the death of you."... ending it with 'him' makes absolutely no sense, as he was speaking to James about everything he gave up to be with her, so in doing so, he's put his own life at risk, rather than thinking it was going to be happily ever after..

Safin? Yes, he very well could be referring to him. It’s more than likely that Bond is at the prison to question Blofeld about Safin and his threat.
    The connection to Swann is a complication that Blofeld is exploiting to get into Bond’s head.

"you gave up everything for her......... it'll be the death of him."..... sorry man, the wires just don't connect for me.

Well that a shame; you may need an electrician. 😉
    Your quotes spell it out clearly, Blofeld is speaking to Bond , the first part applies to Bond and the latter to someone else, probably Safin. It’s really very clear.

Now, what’s being presented in the trailer could very well be intentionally misleading, in which case all bets are off.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2019 Posts: 7,526

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

Those two quotes are from different scenes.
    Talos is right, Blofeld says “it’ll be the death of him”. Just because the trailer makes it seem like all the Blofeld stuff happens in the same scene doesn’t make that the case. I assure you when Blofeld talks about “our secret will be the death of him”, he’s talking to Madeleine about Bond.
    It’s getting tedious to discuss knowns, when we could be speculating about unknowns.
    One of the stills released from entertainment weekly shows Bond and Madeleine in the room with the repeating mirrors, the same room Blofeld is kept in. Madeleine speaks to Blofeld in this movie, I don’t know why that’s so hard to grasp.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 1,469
    So I've watched the trailer 2 or 3 times but haven't read most of this thread yet. The trailer, and I know it's only the first, gives me the impression part of the movie is about the love story between Bond and Madeleine. I am so sick of this! That should've ended with Vesper and CR. Why can't we have a straight Bond mission without the woke PC bull and love story. I think EON producers have strayed somewhat from the formula. They should've fired those writers long ago and refused the woman's lib writer from coming on, who cares what Craig wanted. And forget about Bond having a daughter! If they made that happen it's insane, totally against canon. I will see the movie, because it's Bond and it looks like it was very well filmed. But let's get Bond back on track after Craig--both single and mission-oriented. And Bond better be 007 again by the end of this film--a man, hopefully an Englishman and white, because that's the character Fleming wrote.

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

Talos is right, Blofeld says “it’ll be the death of him”. Just because the trailer makes it seem like all the Blofeld stuff happens in the same scene doesn’t make that the case. I assure you when Blofeld talks about “our secret will be the death of him”, he’s talking to Madeleine about Bond.
    It’s getting tedious to discuss knowns, when we could be speculating about unknowns.

Absolutely, there is obviously a scene where Bond confronts Blofeld, but there may be a scene where Madeleine does the same.
    I could see a scenario where Madeleine hears something while observing Bond and Blofeld; something is triggered. After Bond leaves Blofeld is about to be taken away when Madeleine enters the room an tells the guards, leave us”.
    They then dig into their past.

So, if the “ him” is said while talking to Bond, then it’s referring to someone else ; if the “ him” is said while talking to Madeleine, thrr Er n it probably refers to Bond.

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

Absolutely, there is obviously a scene where Bond confronts Blofeld, but there may be a scene where Madeleine does the same.
    I could see a scenario where Madeleine hears something while observing Bond and Blofeld; something is triggered. After Bond leaves Blofeld is about to be taken away when Madeleine enters the room an tells the guards, leave us”.
    They then dig into their past.

So, if the “ him” is said while talking to Bond, then it’s referring to someone else ; if the “ him” is said while talking to Madeleine, thrr Er n it probably refers to Bond.

Yes, exactly!
    One of the stills released from entertainment weekly shows Bond and Madeleine in the room with the repeating mirrors, the same room Blofeld is kept in. Madeleine speaks to Blofeld in this movie, I don’t know why that’s so hard to grasp.

Possibly, but not a given. Because they’re in the same room, doesn’t mean they’re in there at the same time. She may only be there to observe, from behind the said glass.
    To quote you “ I don’t know why that’s so hard to grasp“
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,399

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

when Blofeld says "it'll be the death of you." he's clearly still in the cage talking directly to Bond, it isn't a voice over lifted from another scene.. the only voice over is Blofeld telling Bond "You gave up everything for her, when her secret finds it's way out" (cut back to Blofeld looking directly at Bond) "it'll be the death of you." .... so it's not two different scenes clipped together.. now, it's very possible that they are lifted from 2 different moments within the same scene - but they are from the same exact scene... i doubt very much Waltz will be in this movie much beyond Bond's interrogation of him.

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

when Blofeld says "it'll be the death of you." he's clearly still in the cage talking directly to Bond, it isn't a voice over lifted from another scene.. the only voice over is Blofeld telling Bond "You gave up everything for her, when her secret finds it's way out" (cut back to Blofeld looking directly at Bond) "it'll be the death of you." .... so it's not two different scenes clipped together.. now, it's very possible that they are lifted from 2 different moments within the same scene - but they are from the same exact scene... i doubt very much Waltz will be in this movie much beyond Bond's interrogation of him.

He says, “it’ll be the death of him”.
    He’s also not clearly talking to Bond, the person whom he’s talking to in this scene is obscured in the shot.

Possibly, but not a given. Because they’re in the same room, doesn’t mean they’re in there at the same time. She may only be there to observe, from behind the said glass.
    To quote you “ I don’t know why that’s so hard to grasp“

All very true. I just think everyone is way over thinking these moments in the trailer.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Thrasos wrote: »
    So I've watched the trailer 2 or 3 times but haven't read most of this thread yet. The trailer, and I know it's only the first, gives me the impression part of the movie is about the love story between Bond and Madeleine. I am so sick of this! That should've ended with Vesper and CR. Why can't we have a straight Bond mission without the woke PC bull and love story. Maybe EON producers have lost it. They should've fired those writers long ago and refused the woman's lib writer from coming on, who cares what Craig wanted. And forget about Bond having a daughter! If they made that happen it's insane, totally against canon. I will see the movie, because it's Bond and it looks like it was very well filmed. But let's get Bond back on track after Craig--both single and mission-oriented. And Bond better be 007 again by the end of this film--a man, hopefully an Englishman and white, because that's the character Fleming wrote.

Yeah....I said it earlier. We've enjoyed Craig's run.but there's need Post-NTTD to return Bond to Standalone films. It's the time spent to connect the Craig films that have made made him the longest serving bond, with fewer films.
    ugh... i'm not going round and round with this... you hear HIM, i hear YOU - the subtitles from non-english trailers all say 'YOU', so unless i'm shown and proven otherwise, thats what i am sticking to...i'll trust what the subtitles say..

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

He’s also not clearly talking to Bond, the person whom he’s talking to in this scene is obscured in the shot.
    If the person is obscured in the shot, then how is it clear that he’s not talking to Bond?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    Let's just hope for Standalone bond films after NTTD. So the producers don't feel much pressure to deliver a Bond film.Something they were much more relaxed with in the past.

• Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I’m only speculating, but if the Norway ice lake that’s featured in the trailer happens to be a flashback... And if the little girl also happens to be young Madeleine, then perhaps it’s both Safin *and* Blofeld that show up at White’s lodge. I’m thinking of that scene in Spectre where Blofeld tells Madeleine that she was just a little girl when he saw her last. Perhaps Safin was once Blofeld’s underling but something goes wrong during their attack on White’s house, with Madeleine having to defend herself against Blofeld/Safin, thus setting up Safin’s vendetta in NTTD....?

Apparently the other intruder was killed. I know what you mean both Madeline and Blofeld tell the same type of story except Madeline claims not to remember Blofelds visit or account of it.

I’m starting to doubt again that it’s a young Madeline in a flashback. Mr white and mrs white are nowhere to be seen. Surely mr white would try to retrieve his daughter off the ice and shoot safin.

Here’s what I think,

Madeline knows and is the first to call Spectre what it is in Austria. She knows what the organization is called before bond and Q. She would know the whole Spectre gang including safin.

I think safin is at the cabin to retrieve his child he had with Madeline, either willingly or by some genetic experiment, and successfully does so. This is a pretty big secret she has a child. What other secret could there be? Safin came to the house once with Blofeld to chat with mr white? Can’t be that simple.

Safin uses the child to get Madeline to betray bond. Safin keeps the child for the next five years , in that time Madeline desperately searches for her daughter and assists mi6 when the kidnapped scientist connected to safin brings bond back into the fold.

This also explains why madeline is in Norway at the end.

If I had to guess bond and swann just become a family with the child. No marriage just together at the end.

I dont think it's ever mentioned that Madeline killed the intruder.

I believe Blofeld visits Mr. White after Safin has tried to kill them. I'm assuming that Madeline doesn't remember because of the trauma.

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

If the person is obscured in the shot, then how is it clear that he’s not talking to Bond?

You’re right, it could be Blofeld talking to Q about Hinx; I’m just saying, use common sense; in the context of the trailer, “him” is Bond; the trailer is about Bond up until that point. Had Safin been introduced in the narrative of the trailer at that point, I’d concede “him” could be Safin, but that’s just not the case in my mind.
    Haserot, trust your ears over your eyes; the word is ‘him’ not ‘you’; I don’t know how to convince you of this but it’s just what it is, you may as well be trying to convince me he’s saying ‘giraffe’... the word he’s saying is ‘him’... I won’t post on these matters here anymore because I’m clearly annoying people and I apologize for that.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,399
    admittedly, when i went back to listen, it sounded like "him" at first, but i've listened and watched him say it now 20 times - i even threw on CC just to test it out, but thats unreliable because it only picks up what it thinks it hears, not what is actually being spoken - because Swann's line of "why would i betray you" according to CC was something about a "train" :)) .. but from what i see and hear, it's "you" - i even went as far as to look at the way his mouth annunciates the word.. if he said "him" his mouth would naturally move differently to pronounce H and M sounds.. his mouth movement doesn't match saying "him", but it does match him saying "you"...... again, thats what i see, thats what i hear.. but, i'm not here to argue about 1 stupid little word when there so much more cool stuff to fap over with this trailer lol.
    admittedly, when i went back to listen, it sounded like "him" at first, but i've listened and watched him say it now 20 times - i even threw on CC just to test it out, but thats unreliable because it only picks up what it thinks it hears, not what is actually being spoken - because Swann's line of "why would i betray you" according to CC was something about a "train" :)) .. but from what i see and hear, it's "you" - i even went as far as to look at the way his mouth annunciates the word.. if he said "him" his mouth would naturally move differently to pronounce H and M sounds.. his mouth movement doesn't match saying "him", but it does match him saying "you"...... again, thats what i see, thats what i hear.. but, i'm not here to argue about 1 stupid little word when there so much more cool stuff to fap over with this trailer lol.

It’s definitely strange with the subtitles, I put them on to watch the english trailer again and they came up ‘him’, but then also said ‘when her secret comes out’ rather than ‘when our secret comes out’, which is what I heard... I guess we’ll find out in April, except apparently we’ll all just hear what we want to hear...
    Let’s just agree that regardless of what we get out of this trailer, it looks great and there is a ton to be excited about?
    Well look at you getting snarky. Have you read the script? Have you seen the finished film? No, I didn’t think do.
    As far as annoying, the only thing annoying is a rigidity in how you’re looking at a trailer that is vague, and has probably been edited to be intentionally misleading in order to keep the plot a secret. I fully admit that I’m speculating and I accept that they’re other possibilities. Your reaction to an idea with which you don’t agree is to be snide and question a persons common sense .

Oh well, I’m done .
    We’ll see what’s really going on in April.
    Well look at you getting snarky. Have you read the script? Have you seen the finished film? No, I didn’t think do.
    As far as annoying, the only thing annoying is a rigidity in how you’re looking at a trailer that is vague, and has probably been edited to be intentionally misleading in order to keep the plot a secret. I fully admit that I’m speculating and I accept that they’re other possibilities. Your reaction to an idea with which you don’t agree is to be snide and question a persons common sense .

Oh well, I’m done .

whom are you speaking to?.. i dont think i was getting snarky with anything?? if i came across dickish - my bad, not my intention.

Oh well, I’m done .

I truly apologize if that’s how I’ve come across. I think we’re all looking forward to seeing what will come of all this in April, which is common ground I’m happy to stand on with everyone here.
    Just let the excitement of the trailer get the best of me I suppose.

It’s definitely strange with the subtitles, I put them on to watch the english trailer again and they came up ‘him’, but then also said ‘when her secret comes out’ rather than ‘when our secret comes out’, which is what I heard... I guess we’ll find out in April, except apparently we’ll all just hear what we want to hear...
    Let’s just agree that regardless of what we get out of this trailer, it looks great and there is a ton to be excited about?

100% agreed.. i cant wait for April to get here now.

Oh well, I’m done .

whom are you speaking to?.. i dont think i was getting snarky with anything?? if i came across dickish - my bad, not my intention.

He was speaking to me, I’m sure. You haven’t come across as snarky at all.

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

You’re right, it could be Blofeld talking to Q about Hinx; I’m just saying, use common sense; in the context of the trailer, “him” is Bond; the trailer is about Bond up until that point. Had Safin been introduced in the narrative of the trailer at that point, I’d concede “him” could be Safin, but that’s just not the case in my mind.
    Why do you think Bond has left beautiful Jamaica and a relaxing retirement? Possibly because he needs information about “ Him”
    It doesn’t matter if Safin has been introduced into the narrative of the trailer; within the actual film he has been , Bond is aware of him snd goes to Blofeld for information.

2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Does anyone actually think cloning is a suitable idea for Daniel's last film? The Craig era has provided itself on realism, terrorism, hacking, surveillance. I don't think cloning would have been a bad idea in a Brosnan film, but I think for where Bond is at the moment I don't really like the idea of cloning being a feature of this film's story.

Totally depends how its handled. I say the real life technology is at a stage now where this kind of plot has some real resonance. The Chinese have I think recently cloned human fetuses and there is a lot of work going on in this area.

If its handled in a serious way and not made to just look silly with invisible cars then I think it can work. The acting and dialogue will be what carries it

I can only hear 'him'

It’s clearly “ him”

Why do you think Bond has left beautiful Jamaica and a relaxing retirement? Possibly because he needs information about “ Him”
    It doesn’t matter if Safin has been introduced into the narrative of the trailer; within the actual film he has been , Bond is aware of him snd goes to Blofeld for information.

You may be 100% correct here; I’m just saying, if that’s the case, they’ve done a poor job putting the trailer together (if they intend to make us think “him” is Safin rather than Bond). But that’s just my thought on it. Until this discussion every time I’ve seen the trailer, in my mind the trailer is just showing us a different scene where Blofeld is telling Madeleine, “if our secret gets out, it’ll be the death of him (Bond).” But I realize this is just my view and could be 100% wrong.

It’ll be the death of Bond because “our little secret” is maybe that Blofeld and Madeleine have been working together since the beginning... hence the betrayal... I suppose this is just how I read the trailer and shouldn’t have taken it so objectively.