NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

I think it would be kind of neat to see a little bit more fantasy/sci-fi in the Craig era. Nothing too wild of course, but a step above the previous four films wouldn’t hurt IMO.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I do hope the plot doesn’t involve cloning. Just seems too science fiction for a Craig-Bond film.

Yeah, true quite strange for a Craig Bond flick....but I think it depends on how Fukunaga handled it(if the movie really deals with cloning) . Christopher Nolan is a Sci-Fi director and look how his films are critically acclaimed. I don't think there are many directors who can handle a movie about complex dreams successfully. But I think Fukunaga is sure-footed and will get it right whatever the film is about.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    K4TPfea.jpg

8SJpwUz.jpg

H84f0zH.jpg

F9t4o2D.jpg

MePSivP.jpg

gMmJ7VC.jpg

A few observations. Bond is still wearing his ear piece when meeting Safin. There appear to be more masks on the wall behind him.

Hard to tell from the still, but the light beam on the wall behind Safin is in motion in the trailer. Is the liar underwater? He's also wearing the cape from the character poster.

If he is the masked man, whatever is wrong with his face appears to have healed. And his movements at the ice lake do not appear to be particular natural, especially the way he handles the gun.

If Swann was the girl in the ice lake, and Safin saved her, wouldn't she owe him? Could that be how the whole betrayal thing comes about?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    K4TPfea.jpg

8SJpwUz.jpg

H84f0zH.jpg

F9t4o2D.jpg

MePSivP.jpg

gMmJ7VC.jpg

A few observations. Bond is still wearing his ear piece when meeting Safin. There appear to be more masks on the wall behind him.

Hard to tell from the still, but the light beam on the wall behind Safin is in motion in the trailer. Is the liar underwater? He's also wearing the cape from the character poster.

If he is the masked man, whatever is wrong with his face appears to have healed. And his movements at the ice lake do not appear to be particular natural, especially the way he handles the gun.

If Swann was the girl in the ice lake, and Safin saved her, wouldn't she owe him? Could that be how the whole betrayal thing comes about?

I wonder if the mask helps him heal and uses radiation to heal himself so he never gets old. The mask clearly has something important to it.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I do hope the plot doesn’t involve cloning. Just seems too science fiction for a Craig-Bond film.
    +1

+2

I'd hate it for any Bond but especially Craig.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That set design is absolutely extraordinary. One of the highlights of the trailer for sure.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    K4TPfea.jpg

8SJpwUz.jpg

H84f0zH.jpg

F9t4o2D.jpg

MePSivP.jpg

gMmJ7VC.jpg

I wonder if the mask helps him heal and uses radiation to heal himself so he never gets old. The mask clearly has something important to it.

Agreed. There's some significance to the mask. Nice job to whoever pointed out that there appears to be other masks hanging on the wall in the lair scene of the trailer.
    In the leaked video of the lake scene being filmed, the gunman is limping heavily like he's been wounded. I wonder if that has to do with how he's holding the gun. Or maybe he's not used to shooting people and is acting out of desperation here.

In the video he limps onto the lake chasee the girl on ice. She falls in, safin shoots the ice and sticks the gun in the water
    edited December 2019 Posts: 2,494
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    In the video he limps onto the lake chasee the girl on ice. She falls in, safin shoots the ice and sticks the gun in the water

It's hard to tell, but my first thought seeing him walk through the forest was that he was limping there as well. But might just be due to the snow.

d8L6fzt.jpg

Edit. On a second look, it appears he's been shot in the arm and chest. So why not use the other arm? His chest wound isn't bleeding, he must have a vest on underneath.
  • Has anyone speculated about Safin’s accent? It’s not quite Malek’s normal accent (though there is some of that too) and seems to be intentionally “foreign”. I wonder what nationality is he supposed to be. Or is he like Blofeld (of the 60s) who’s supposed to be ambiguously “European” but no clear nationality is defined.

Didn’t Danny Boyle plan to have a Russian villain? Safin doesn’t sound like a Russian last name but his accent could pass for Russian (maybe). On the other hand the way he pronounces “kill” isn’t particularly Russian or Slavic sounding. It would be a hard “L” sound. But he makes a soft “L” sound. I know Malek is of Middle Eastern descent but I’m positive he’s not playing a Middle Eastern character. Nor does he look Oriental, despite the Japanese set design.

Any thoughts?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Bond's fifth book:

I0kwyux.jpg

Welcome Aboard! by Barbara A. Huff

22288405926.jpg
    2XaZa9g.jpg

jUT2vJ0.jpg

Bj8uB6v.jpg

pS5X8KY.jpg

Is that Dali Bensalah's character blowing up the lab? The man has a very similar hair cut.

It's hard to tell, but my first thought seeing him walk through the forest was that he was limping there as well. But might just be due to the snow.

d8L6fzt.jpg

Edit. On a second look, it appears he's been shot in the arm and chest. So why not use the other arm? His chest wound isn't bleeding, he must have a vest on underneath.

GOOD CATCH. I wonder if either the girl or Mr. White shot him. Likely also shot him in the leg since he has a bad limp in the set video. Maybe the limp becomes permanent.

@Red_Snow that is 100% the same man. Great catch also. I wonder what those weird green lights are.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

d8L6fzt.jpg

Good catch!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    TripAces wrote: »

d8L6fzt.jpg

Good catch!

What if... this is a scene from near the end? :-? :-O
    JamesCraig wrote: »

d8L6fzt.jpg

Good catch!

That occurred to me also. He's desperate, alone, his base has been blown up and all his plans ruined but he's still chasing after the girl. Maybe Bond shows up and finished him off.

But I thought his base was in more of a wooded area that's not snowy. Who knows.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    ertert wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »

d8L6fzt.jpg

Good catch!

That occurred to me also. He's desperate, alone, his base has been blown up and all his plans ruined but he's still chasing after the girl. Maybe Bond shows up and finished him off.

But I thought his base was in more of a wooded area that's not snowy. Who knows.

If we chase that rabbit, then we end up down the hole of "The girl is not part of a flashback." Then we're left with the idea that the girl is Madeleine's daughter or she's a girl unrelated to anyone (unlikely), or (OR!!!!!) we have ourselves a cloned version of Madeleine (far-fetched but creepy).

In any case, I think the way Madeleine receives that mask is a clearer indication that the encounter on the frozen lake is a flashback. I think it may be a repressed memory that someone teases out of her.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Those Norway shots with the snow and camo-esque jacket are gorgeous. Probably the scene I'm most excited to see unfold honestly.

Regarding the cinematography, it's apparent that the main color scheme of No Time To Die is going to be that ubiquitous orange/teal combo. It's all over the film and the recent character posters also doubled down on it. The film is surely going to be one of the most appealing Bond films, visually speaking.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2019 Posts: 7,890
    I can understand some being uncomfortable with the possible plot element involving cloning; while it may seem like science fiction, the fact is it is proven science and has been utilized to replicate plants and animals for some time now.
    Starting with Dr. No, the Bond films have featured science and technology which are a generation, or more, ahead of what is currently possible. It is highly probable that human cloning has already been done but is being kept in the shadows. I don’t see it as a stretch, even for Craig’s Bond.
    Handled poorly, cloning as a story element could come off as silly; handled well it could be intriguing, exciting and even frightening.
    The talents assembled for NTTD are too smart to let it be silly.
    Seek out “The Boys from Brazil“
  • DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    This.

The science fiction aspect is one of the biggest beefs I have with DAD. Goes waaaaay too far. Gene therepy is nowhere near reality like it's shown in that film. I just hope they don't do the same thing with NTTD.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I can understand some being uncomfortable with the possible plot element involving cloning; while it may seem like science fiction, the fact is it is proven science and has been utilized to replicate plants and animals for some time now.
    Starting with Dr. No, the Bond films have featured science and technology which are a generation, or more, ahead of what is currently possible. It is highly probable that human cloning has already been done but is being kept in the shadows. I don’t see it as a stretch, even for Craig’s Bond.
    Handled poorly, cloning as a story element could come off as silly; handled week it could be intriguing, exciting and even frightening.
    The talents assembled for NTTD are too smart to let it be silly.
    Seek out “The Boys from Brazil“

Well said.

• edited December 2019 Posts: 490
    @ColonelSun , @peter

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the "Flashback" scene, Safin's mask and facial disfigurements, etc. if you have any interest in kindly sharing.

This trailer gave us so much to chew on I feel like I have no clue where this could all lead.
    @ColonelSun , @peter

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the "Flashback" scene, Safin's mask and facial disfigurements, etc. if you have any interest in kindly sharing.

This trailer gave us so much to chew on I feel like I have no clue where this could all lead.

I suspect, just suspect, the Norway Ice Lake scene opens the film, but it is simply set in the past like the GE pre-title was set in the past, so it is not a flashback in that sense. Later in the film, we will connect the past to the present. And then we will understand the true significance/meaning of that opening scene.

• The Bond films have all had some element of science fiction in them, just some more outlandish.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    @ColonelSun , @peter

I suspect, just suspect, the Norway Ice Lake scene opens the film, but it is simply set in the past like the GE pre-title was set in the past, so it is not a flashback in that sense. Later in the film, we will connect the past to the present. And then we will understand the true significance/meaning of that opening scene.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I wonder if it cuts to Madeline having a nightmare in Matera .
    The Bond films have all had some element of science fiction in them, just some more outlandish.

I wonder if it will be like Inception, where it's a futuristic plot but they made a point to not have any fancy equipment or machinery to keep it feeling grounded. Maybe the algae stuff is as outlandish as we see.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The Bond films have all had some element of science fiction in them, just some more outlandish.

I agree....Bond have always had some Sci-Fi elements.
    I’m happy with this trailer. I like that’s it’s coherent and generates discussion. Sick to death of “generic statement ... fade to black .... generic statement .... fade to black ...” trailers.

The new Star Wars trailers have this in abundance. Whole lot of beautiful nothing.
  • Any chance we hear 'Jump Up' or 'Underneath the mango tree' in the film?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Any chance we hear 'Jump Up' or 'Underneath the mango tree' in the film?

Very much doubt it. But would be cool.