NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

Sorry if mentioned before but "The World has moved on Commander Bond". A very clever line as she does not refer to him as 007 and military ranks are retained in retirement. So it's respectful but, at the same time, a reference to his past and it informs the audience of how she perceives him.

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I watched the trailer again this morning, don't know about anybody else but every time I see it I feel more excited by the movie.

I don't know why but I get the feeling Nomi isn't all she seems, as if there is something more to her than just be a fellow agent. I have a feeling she could be a traitor. That weird "threat" felt so out of place it made me think is that a hint at her having a darker more sinister side?
    I think it would make her character more interesting

I like that we see Bond and Moneypenny visiting Q , at what looks like his flat? But that makes me think is Bond being helped by Q and Moneypenny off the record like in Spectre?
    I preferred the humour between Q and Bond here, rather than the Bond, James Bond line to be honest. It felt more natural and less like I was watching a television show or Johnny English. It felt very forced

When I watched this time I noticed that the person wearing the mask seems to look different behind the window than it does on Safin. I'm not sure maybe it's just me but the posture sort of reminds of Madeline, could this be something to do with her secret? Even though I do feel I'm probably wrong, perhaps this is just an intentional misdirect from the editors

I love how after watching the trailer 3 times now, I am not only more intrigued but I feel like I know less than I did before. Credit to the editors and everyone involved

I think that the one girl who won't be as she seems will be Paloma... :-?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited December 2019 Posts: 2,512
    Univex wrote: »
    3 times, @Jordo007? Good for you, old boy. Must say I've watched about 30 times already. And it keeps getting better. This will make a ton of money and secure future Bond endeavours for EON, whenever they might be, and with whomever. That being said, I wish Craig would do a sixth. He never looked better than this, not even in CR, IMO.

Ahaha it's been tough mate, very tough. I might watch it again tonight after work
    I feel like it was my own fault I didn't enjoy Spectre as much I could have, because I watched the trailer so much, when I watched at it at the cinema I felt like I'd seen it and I knew the trailer so well I had I good feeling for where it was in the film.
    Totally agree about Craig looking his best here, when he looks out at the lake he looks as good as he ever has done in my mind. Also the scene with him in the tux gave me Skyfall titles vibes, when he was shooting his own shadows. His movements and his look

@patb Great point mate. I've been rereading the novels recently and that line rung a distant bell. Lashana has a really nice tone to her voice in that scene as well
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Jordo007 of course the line is gonna seem out of place, it’s in a trailer. Context is everything. I’m sure it’ll work better for you once you see the film.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 4,600
    @Jordo007 I hope they don't overdo the whole "passage of time", "the World has moved on" as it was the central them of SF (there is also the reference to "the good knee" - implying age and redundancy etc, that line could be straight out of SF) but, at the same time, given we think it's DC's last film, they will try to reference that perhaps.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    Hey guys! Long time lurker here. I have been stalking these pages since Skyfall but have only just decided to get involved. I'm in Australia so i stayed up til the early hours this morning waiting eagerly for the trailer. I was definitely not dissapointed. I haven't been this hyped since Skyfall! Daniel looks in top form, really chewing the material this time. Everyone looks amazing. Especially excites for Malek.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Denbigh very true my friend, context is everything. It might end up being one of my favourite scenes in the film. It just felt weird having her threatening him but then again I suppose that's what Strawberry Fields does in Quantum about having him arrested and taken back in chains. Hopefully he shrugs it off with a smirk like he did in Quantum

@patb yeah I'm with you on this. I was hoping when M threw the folder on the desk at the end of Skyfall it tied up the whole Bond is past it and needs to prove himself angle. But again I could be wrong like @Denbigh correctly said context is everything so we'll know more about the key themes when we see it.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    @007Blofeld No, I definitely do NOT think Norway doubles for Japan. They are just using a Noh mask and I think it's superbly eerie.

Well his lair -and maybe even outfit- are pretty Japanese too, so I think he’s got some sort of obsession there. But it does look to be in Norway.

Japan has been mentioned quite a lot, which makes me still wonder whether we are going to get some kind of Shatterhand storyline, loosely based on YOLT?

Hello JetsetWilly, been a long time since I came across a post of you. How are you? :-h

I'm good mate. Still here, surfacing once again now we have new Bond stuff to talk about. ;)
  • patb wrote: »
    @Jordo007 I hope they don't overdo the whole "passage of time", "the World has moved on" as it was the central them of SF (there is also the reference to "the good knee" - implying age and redundancy etc, that line could be straight out of SF) but, at the same time, given we think it's DC's last film, they will try to reference that perhaps.

Passage of time, and the world moving on and Bond not doing so was also a theme in Die Another Day. Every Craig Bond film has him out of the MI6 frame or going rogue, albeit nearly in CR with his initial resignation.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The DB5 has... flamethrowers..? :)
    Oh my gosh @mtm, you've revealed something even more interesting: the welcome return/continuation of the Dymo Labelmaker presence.
    Flame.jpg
    Exciting times.

efacea8e753f976efcdd06a67454acae--supply-labels-label-makers.jpg

They’re not Dymo labels though: they’re engraved metal.

Well excuse my enthusiasm, @mtm. An upgrade from Spectre. Will continue the search.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The DB5 has... flamethrowers..? :)
    Oh my gosh @mtm, you've revealed something even more interesting: the welcome return/continuation of the Dymo Labelmaker presence.
    Flame.jpg
    Exciting times.

efacea8e753f976efcdd06a67454acae--supply-labels-label-makers.jpg

They’re not Dymo labels though: they’re engraved metal.

Well excuse my enthusiasm, @mtm. An upgrade from Spectre. Will continue the search.

Well you're more than welcome to be enthusiastic; but that won't make it true! :)
    For the sake of the film's success I really hope they play the trailer before Star Wars. Seems crazy to not do that.
  • ertert wrote: »
    For the sake of the film's success I really hope they play the trailer before Star Wars. Seems crazy to not do that.

I hope so too, never seen a Bond trailer in the cinema.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,554
    24 hours later: There's still so much to unpack. I keep coming back to two things: 1.Bond's clothes (which provide some clues as to where/when scenes are taking place); 2. Madeleine's secret, the girl, and the mask.

Bond's clothes:
    1. Black cotton shirt and ligth gray jeans (Jamaica). We all knew this already.
    2. Tan suit with blue shirt (chase in Matera). We already knew this, as well.
    3. Blue linen jacket and gray twill pants (Matera, before the chase). This too, we knew.
    4. Tan leather jacker with white t-shirt. (Unvelining of the DBS).
    5. Gray suit, white shirt, black tie (arriving at MI6, seeing Q, walking with Nomi and Moneypenny)
    6. Gray suit, light blue shirt, black tie (seeing Madeleine in the hall, scene with Blofield)
    7. Taupe longer length, lightweight coat, with white henley and black pants (side of the road, running through the woods, shooting a gun in the woods, in the Land Rover with Madeleine)
    8. Tuxedo (Jamaica/Cuba nightclub/meeting, with Paloma)
    9. Blue sweater. white henley (Safin's lair)

Madeleine and her "secret": The two easiest explanations have significant holes.

1. The scene with the girl is a flashback. Why this makes sense: Suggests Madeleine's secret is in her past; she receives or has the broken mask in a box; the girl from this scene has not been seen anywhere else in filming or in any other stills of any sort. Why it doesn't: we see the masked man at Q's flat, in the same basic garb; we'd be entereing the mind of a supporting character (though this may make sense given what Lashana Lynch said recently about the roles of the women in this film).
    2. The scene with the girl is Madeleine's daughter. Why this makes sense: Madeleine's previous marriage and child would indeed be a big secret that would anger Bond; provides a reason for the chase scenes in the Land Rover; works in the present, and the the mask we see at Q's flat . Why it doesn't: where in the plot would her abduction take place? It doesn't tie in as well with Madeleine's reception of the mask, unless that scene with the mask in the box is misleading (as trailers can be): it's at the end of the film, and the mask has been sent (perhaps by Bond), well after the events of the film and Safin's demise. His way of telling her "I got him."

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    ertert wrote: »

I hope so too, never seen a Bond trailer in the cinema.

Star Wars: The Rise Of 007
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I honestly don't get why adults would hide a previous marriage from each other. Would Bond really get angry for something this petty?
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 2,436
    Walecs wrote: »
    I honestly don't get why adults would hide a previous marriage from each other. Would Bond really get angry for something this petty?

It must be something related to White being her father.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

It's possible that Madeleine left the husband and child years ago, to protect them. She felt no need to tell James. And yes, he'd be pissed.
    There is some very clever imagery going on here: at 0.42, we see Bond looking hot and dishevelved, walking along the side of the road with a female agent in a very cool, new Aston (air con blasting) - that should be his car! , cool shades. She is in the driving seat (empowered) both literally and as a metaphor. This is re-enforced at the same time with dialogue from her to him "stay in your lane" - like he is a slow duffer in the left hand lane of a motorway. I like this stuff. An agenda/theme but clever and not over powering.
    For what it's worth re: is it a young Madeleine...

And of course Petrou is listed on IMDb as her.
    TripAces wrote: »

It's possible that Madeleine left the husband and child years ago, to protect them. She felt no need to tell James. And yes, he'd be pissed.

No, don't buy that at all. She would tell Bond she was once married and has a kid if that was the case, after all, she loves and trusts him. But after Bond is ambushed at Vesper's grave, he makes the assumption (as we see in the trailer) that Madeleine has betrayed him (after all Vesper betrayed him - and Bond still can't trust anyone - he's pretty damaged goods). Madeleine's secret is something much deeper and darker - something she has tried to bury and wipe from her life, just like she tried to escape from her father, Mr. White.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Is Safin's original beef with SPECTRE? I ask this because why would Rami have gone to Mr. White's house in the first place, if this is indeed a flashback? I think it would also explain the theory that people have that the Cuba sequence sees the death of SPECTRE agents, but then you'd wonder why he'd target her as well as SPECTRE but will probably be something connected to the flashback... (if it is a flashback)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Within 24 hours

7.3 million views on Youtube
    10 million views on Twitter
    2.5 million views on Facebook
    0.4 million views on Instagram

So across only the official 007 social media channels, thats 20.2 million views in a day.

Id say the trailer has hit the sweet spot with the general public big time.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Is Safin's original beef with SPECTRE? I ask this because why would Rami have gone to Mr. White's house in the first place, if this is indeed a flashback? I think it would also explain the theory that people have that the Cuba sequence sees the death of SPECTRE agents, but then you'd wonder why he'd target her as well as SPECTRE but will probably be something connected to the flashback... (if it is a flashback)

Oh yeah that's almost definitely what this is about. Maybe he has a beef with White specifically...

Also, not sure if it was posted elsewhere here, they released a few short soundbites from Daniel, Lashana and BB/MGW. Most intriguing, Barbara describing the film as an 'epic love story'
  • ColonelSun wrote: »

No, don't buy that at all. She would tell Bond she was once married and has a kid if that was the case, after all, she loves and trusts him. But after Bond is ambushed at Vesper's grave, he makes the assumption (as we see in the trailer) that Madeleine has betrayed him (after all Vesper betrayed him - and Bond still can't trust anyone - he's pretty damaged goods). Madeleine's secret is something much deeper and darker - something she has tried to bury and wipe from her life, just like she tried to escape from her father, Mr. White.
    I was going to say nearly the same thing. I agree the betrayal was most likely with whatever happened at the gravesite and the dark secret is something else.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,157
    And yes, he'd be pissed.

I doubt Bond would care. He's always had a devil may care attitude about everything, Fleming himself cheated his wife and Bond never cared much about marriage (according to OHMSS he decides to marry Tracy because he's getting old and because she would not force him into a mundane life). There's no way he'd get angry or jealous for finding out that his girlfriend has had other men in her life - and Bond more than anyone would understand it if she kept it a secret to protect his life. He's not a teenager, he's a grown up man who faced worse things in life.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 4,600
    When Madeleine opens the box (with mask carefully stored/wrapped) she begins to cry. So it brings back painful memories. If she was trying to hide that part of her past, she would not carefully wrap and store the mask or open the box. So, I'm guessing someone sent her a package in terms of some kind of threat/message.

Also, from a writers perspective, without context, the mask and her reaction would be meaningless to the audience. The reveal as the box was opened would have no dramatic impact. So that implies that, before that scene, the audience have both seen the mask and understand why memories of it would upset her so much and would have empathy for her (all just guessing obviously)
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Del
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Where's the link to that imgur page where you can see all the trailer's screenshots? Thanks!
    JamesStock wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I was going to say nearly the same thing. I agree the betrayal was most likely with whatever happened at the gravesite and the dark secret is something else.

Well, she's holding something back from Bond, a very deep dark secret, but Bond's chink in his armour is that he cannot trust anyone, not even Madeleine, which stems so much from Vesper and also the fact he was an orphan, a child/young man effectively abandoned and forced to rely on himself and no one else. Craig plays this so bloody well. And I think Cary, knowing and respecting how well Craig implies Bond's damaged soul, decided to strongly focus on that in this film.