NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    That outfit is very creepy, there’s some old school horror quality from people like Dario Argento and Mario Bava in that scenes.

Swann’s mom dying wouldn’t be a continuity error?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Why only use one hand though? It looks so awkward.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 40,473
    Red_Snow wrote: »

There's a fair amount of odd one-handed firearm action in the trailer, it definitely looks odd. I get it from a villain, but from a 00 agent? It was painful to watch during Bond's escape from Blofeld's place in SP. Then you have that dual wielding during the TND finale which is bizarre, too.

@matt_u, that's a fair point. Haven't we had some debate as to whether or not her mom is present during Tosca in QoS?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Haven't we had some debate as to whether or not her mom is present during Tosca in QoS?
    I always thought it was just some random woman he was being pleasant to.
    I assumed the Tosca woman was either random or perhaps even a date White had for the evening? In any case, him saying his wife “left long ago” in SP seemed to me like we never have seen her.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,343

There's a fair amount of odd one-handed firearm action in the trailer, it definitely looks odd. I get it from a villain, but from a 00 agent? It was painful to watch during Bond's escape from Blofeld's place in SP. Then you have that dual wielding during the TND finale which is bizarre, too.

@matt_u, that's a fair point. Haven't we had some debate as to whether or not her mom is present during Tosca in QoS?

Yes we had but then SP established that her mom “left long ago”. 7 years never felt to me that long. I don’t know, the Swann/Safin relationship is what intrigue me the most. He wants both “her” and “revenge”. Revenge against Blofeld and SPECTRE I suppose. But why her? They must share something.
    matt_u wrote: »

Yes we had but then SP established that her mom “left long ago”. 7 years never felt to me that long. I don’t know, the Swann/Safin relationship is what intrigue me the most. He wants both “her” and “revenge”. Revenge against Blofeld and SPECTRE I suppose. But why her? They must share something.

SP definitely tweaks up the possibility of that, for sure. Could also just be a girlfriend or date he had, too. But yes, her leaving long ago doesn't translate that well to her leaving seven years prior, so I guess it's more likely that she isn't Swann's mother.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So is it safe to say that Madeleine is the target here? Interesting.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Haven't we had some debate as to whether or not her mom is present during Tosca in QoS?

Yeah, me too.
    Walecs wrote: »

Yeah, me too.

That that woman was her mother never occurred to me either.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Is it Q's plane that's being fired at?
    The first shot, is the POV of the small jet or whatever it is ejecting from the plane.

...and I'm not sure whats passing the plane there, possibly being fired at.

TgLDVpr.jpg

Could this ship be firing at the plane?

The waters look similar in colour to the one the Q glider lands in.
    It could be. My first thought would be that those ships are backup for Bond and Nomi, but not too sure anymore.

The plane was definitely being fired upon. The ship isn't the good guys. Its probably one of Safin's defences protecting his nearby lair.
    How do we think Safin's mask is damaged and what is going on with his facial scars? He almost looks very old.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I always assumed it was Mrs. White at the opera. And 5-7 years can easily be "long ago." In any case, Safin's "revenge" must also include the million deaths. Does Safin "want" Madeleine dead? Or does he want her?

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Mr White's girlfriend, as described in the end credits.
    Actually like the international trailer over the US one.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,343
    TripAces wrote: »

I always assumed it was Mrs. White at the opera. And 5-7 years can easily be "long ago." In any case, Safin's "revenge" must also include the million deaths. Does Safin "want" Madeleine dead? Or does he want her?

Well Safin saves young Madeleine from drowning (even tho he was supposed to kill her as well) so he definitely wants her if you ask me. Who knows what happened between the two since that moment.

Regarding Mrs White I always liked that idea as well (that actress is even blonde like Madeleine) but after SP it’s the least likely option... given the tone Mr White uses sounds like she left him long time ago when Swann was just a kid or at least 15. In his secret room in Tangier there are a lot of pictures with him and his daughter but none all together with his ex wife. Anyway another big question is: is White at home in the PTS? Since the Safin attack seems to be the “I hate guns” story from SP, he should’ve...
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

We also always have to keep in mind that trailers sometimes cut together stuff from different scenes. Especially that "me" by Madeleine has struck me as potentially not being part of that sentence in the full movie. The cadence of it; the way we only see her saying that one word while the rest of the sentence is from voice-over..
    I'm not saying there is no connection between her and Safin. There quite obviously is. I just want to hasten against putting to much on single sentences.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    What does everyone think of Rami Malek's accent in the trailer ?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    QBranch wrote: »

Good work. The answer was always right there under our noses.

What's interesting about this, however, is it makes me wonder if some of her scenes in Bregenz got cut, like a lot of other things. Paul Ritter played Guy Haines...who then is barely in the film. I read somewhere that an entire scene, at the end, in which Bond kills White and captures Haines, was cut. Imagine if it hadn't been.
  • Watching the trailer yet again, I have the feeling that 'If we don't do this, there will be nothing left to save' line signifies that Bond and Nomi are calling in a missile strike on their location (even Safin wouldn't likely be able to commandeer or have a ship on par with a Royal Navy Type 45, so it makes sense that the ship is on the side of the good guys), with no guarantee that they'll survive; Nomi manages to get out but isn't sure if Bond makes it, and only we know at the end that he does (though I do like to think that Madeleine knows as well).
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Watching the trailer yet again, I have the feeling that 'If we don't do this, there will be nothing left to save' line signifies that Bond and Nomi are calling in a missile strike on their location (even Safin wouldn't likely be able to commandeer or have a ship on par with a Royal Navy Type 45, so it makes sense that the ship is on the side of the good guys), with no guarantee that they'll survive; Nomi manages to get out but isn't sure if Bond makes it, and only we know at the end that he does (though I do like to think that Madeleine knows as well).

I remeber there were whispers in the early stages of production that Moonraker the novel might be a source for the plot. Could they be using Draxs original strike plan as a part of the threat.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Cheers. I've mentioned it twice before when the debate came up, back in 2018/19.
    Cheers. I've mentioned it twice before when the debate came up, back in 2018/19.

See, I knew it had been debated on here before.
  • TripAces wrote: »

What's interesting about this, however, is it makes me wonder if some of her scenes in Bregenz got cut, like a lot of other things. Paul Ritter played Guy Haines...who then is barely in the film. I read somewhere that an entire scene, at the end, in which Bond kills White and captures Haines, was cut. Imagine if it hadn't been.

There were quite a few promotional images at the time prior to release that used images of Bond bearing down on someone, taken from the final encounter. There was also a BTS still showing Ritter and Craig in a green coloured room (think stately home) with lots of wood paneling. Apparently Micheal Wilson requested that they cut the scenes to give greater story flexibility for the next film going against Marc Forrester’s judgement.

If you have a hunt online, I’m sure you’ll find the pics.

• silva13silva13 Australia
    Late to the party I know. I watched the new trailer the moment it came out though and absolutely loved it so much that I've probably watched it close to thirty times now! It has got to be my favorite bond trailer of the daniel craig era so far followed closely by skyfall.
    The cinematography is utterly breathtaking, lots of blue that it reminds me of skyfall but not as melancholic. The action looks like some of the best in years, more suspenseful than all of spectre. I was worried that there was too many story elements but this trailer has put my mind at ease. I think this is gonna be an amazing way for Craig to depart, he has worked up to a world saving mission and that thrills me. The part where nomi mentions that safin will kill millions gave me chills and I've missed those high stakes in these films. Speaking of safin he looks amazing and will be one of the best I'm sure! Sorry for the ramblings but all in all I enjoyed everything about that bloody trailer and I'm still this excited a week on!

Ps. A colleague at work who has no interest in bond at all came in the next day and said "oi did you see that bond trailer, actually looks decent". There is something about non fans enjoying bond that just gets you more excited I think!
    "Meet Safin"
    Ladies and gents...

Our official Craig era trailer:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    antovolk wrote: »
    Ladies and gents...

Our official Craig era trailer:

Brilliant. That is one evil tiger.
    Now if anyone can get those Thai captions translated that would be great