NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

Hey everyone. First time posting here after watching from the shadows for a very long time. Please let me know if someone already has this call sign.

I just saw that the Birds of Prey trailer went live not long ago. I'd assume Bond won't be presented today as it may conflict with it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Hey @Brother_from_Langley, welcome! Good to have you, and I actually think Bond could take on Birds of Prey to be honest. I think the buzz on trailers doesn't last as long as people think it does. People move on real fast these days haha :D
  • NTTD would have to be a really bad trailer not to get more buzz than Birds of Prey based on that trailer. Gosh that was disappointing.

Anyway why don't people think the trailer won't drop on Global James Bond day? If they put out a notice two days before they could get some publicity going for the film. I don't know why Bond isn't as proud of having it's 'global day' like Star Wars is, who fully embrace it. Also, the Fate of the Furious (released by Universal), which had a similar release date to NTTD, released it's trailer on the 11th December, so don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to be waiting for a while longer.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 36
    Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Oh I have no doubt Bond could slaughter Birds of Prey, but maybe they want it to have its own spotlight. I'm really hoping for an artistic/ symbolic poster. Birds of Prey had a good one of those.

Here is how I imagine Bond vs. Birds of Prey

• edited October 2019 Posts: 17,293
    Where is the announcement of the trailer???

RigidLinedGangesdolphin-small.gif

Oh, I really, REALLY hope they'll wait a while just to see the reactions here. This is entertainment enough.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Where is the announcement of the trailer???

RigidLinedGangesdolphin-small.gif

Oh, I really, REALLY hope they'll wait a while just to see the reactions here. This is entertainment enough.

Oh I am so enjoying this :))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Five months ago, people were absolutely sure a teaser trailer would come soon. A lot of brain activity went into figuring out the mechanics behind it all and we're all experts.

Three months ago, people were REALLY ABSOLUTELY sure it would come any time soon! And there were reasons for that.

Now, we still haven't gotten to one. When are the "EON is incompetent" remarks going to come again?
  • WumpaJuiceWumpaJuice Vancouver, BC
    edited October 2019 Posts: 2
    EON is incompetent!

I actually don't believe that at all, you just set me up for a good swing there.

I'm coming back to the forums but I can't remember the email I used, or even what my former username was - so that's a lost cause. Not that anyone would've remembered anyway because I barely posted.

Hello again.

I'm looking forward to the trailer that is definitely maybe dropping right now tomorrow Saturday in 5 minutes
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    NTTD would have to be a really bad trailer not to get more buzz than Birds of Prey based on that trailer. Gosh that was disappointing.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd heard of Birds of Prey before but apart from what looks like a great lead performance from Robbie that looks pretty rubbish.
    matt_u wrote: »
    I will be shocked if the teaser doesn’t come out with Joker this week. Gemini Man will be a flop and it’s already a critical failure.

Shame as the Script was on the top ten Films in development hell for a while

If it's coming this week, then it'll arrive Thursday at the latest. If we get nothing by then, it's likely it'll drop early next week in time for Gemini Man.

Based off the comments from @antovolk I think it's still coming this week. I'm feeling like Thursday is the day. I reckon Eon will drop some stills and a poster tomorrow to tease the big reveal on Thursday.

Yeah, I think this is the most likely scenario given all the pieces on the board. Thursday or Friday trailer announcement with the official drop on Saturday.

Given how fast the hype cycle moves online, a one-day window between announcement and trailer is totally possible, so I’m edging toward Friday, myself.
  • Geno wrote: »

If it's coming this week, then it'll arrive Thursday at the latest. If we get nothing by then, it's likely it'll drop early next week in time for Gemini Man.

Based off the comments from @antovolk I think it's still coming this week. I'm feeling like Thursday is the day. I reckon Eon will drop some stills and a poster tomorrow to tease the big reveal on Thursday.

Yeah, I think this is the most likely scenario given all the pieces on the board. Thursday or Friday trailer announcement with the official drop on Saturday.

Given how fast the hype cycle moves online, a one-day window between announcement and trailer is totally possible, so I’m edging toward Friday, myself.

It’s very unlikely to drop on Saturday. I don’t think it’ll be dropped on ‘James Bond Day’. The reasons are following:

Studios have an archaic and outdated system where trailers are ‘attached’ to films. If the trailer is attached to Joker, then people would be seeing the trailer in theatres from tomorrow night. It’ll leak by Saturday. Therefore, Eon would need to drop prior.

Trailers don’t usually come out at weekends, unless they are tied to sporting events. It’ll come out during the working week where some Universal admin bod working in marketing will drop it online.

If the trailer is coming this week, the deadline is tomorrow. If the trailer is coming tomorrow, then they should let us know today at around 5pm.

If you hear nothing after 5pm then start looking to next week for the trailer……………….none of what I say is ‘definite’ but based on what I see and hear on trailers, this is just the process.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited October 2019 Posts: 524
    Geno wrote: »

It’s very unlikely to drop on Saturday. I don’t think it’ll be dropped on ‘James Bond Day’. The reasons are following:

Studios have an archaic and outdated system where trailers are ‘attached’ to films. If the trailer is attached to Joker, then people would be seeing the trailer in theatres from tomorrow night. It’ll leak by Saturday. Therefore, Eon would need to drop prior.

Trailers don’t usually come out at weekends, unless they are tied to sporting events. It’ll come out during the working week where some Universal admin bod working in marketing will drop it online.

If the trailer is coming this week, the deadline is tomorrow. If the trailer is coming tomorrow, then they should let us know today at around 5pm.

If you hear nothing after 5pm then start looking to next week for the trailer……………….none of what I say is ‘definite’ but based on what I see and hear on trailers, this is just the process.

I mostly agree with that way of thinking, it's indeed quite logical for them to not drop it on Saturday if it's attached to Joker. And I agree that this is the 'normal' way of doing it: get the trailer out before or at the same time it's shown in theaters with Joker, which means announcement today, in cinemas and online tomorrow.

However, we know EON is allowed to do their own marketing. Of course, when a trailer debuts is not just EON's decision, and I suppose that if it's attached to Joker, that that has been a decision made together with MGM & Universal. EON, however, is solely responsible for the promoting of Global James Bond Day. And I can totally see them asking/requesting their partners to release the trailer online on GJBD, while underestimating the chances of bootleg copies. I think EON might think that's not a problem.

With that in mind, I think it's a possibility that the trailer will be in cinemas with Joker tomorrow night, and drops online on Friday or indeed, on Saturday, to celebrate GJBD. It's only two days, I know, but EON might go for celebrating GJBD first and foremost, and really not caring about bootlegs.

And if it turns out there's no NTTD teaser attached to Joker at all, then we are all wrong and our theories can go straight to the bin.
    What does EON usually do in GJBD? Anyone?
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited October 2019 Posts: 858
    Univex wrote: »

Global-JB-2018-Header-1500x500.jpg
    Last year they had a few Astons on display and driving through London, some stuff at the Bond In Motion exhibit, and some social media prize questionnaires IIRC. Nothing shocking but quite cool nonetheless.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires

Usually they offer discounts on the store or show pics of Bond In Motion.
    When a film is being produced they can reveal interesting stuff. In 2012, the Skyfall theme was revealed. In 2015, the Writing's On The Wall music video (it leaked one day before, though)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,961

When a film is being produced they can reveal interesting stuff. In 2012, the Skyfall theme was revealed. In 2015, the Writing's On The Wall music video (it leaked one day before, though)

Oh, that's quite promising. So they probably will do something, then?
  • Univex wrote: »

There is a very good chance, that they will celebrate GJBD in advance on the 3rd/4th as the 5th is a Saturday.

Plus it fits in beautifully with the Joker release...............hopefully official word arrives today at 17:00 UK time
    Oh, I see, Saturday seems more and more like the day to expect a teaser to be revealed.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Five months ago, people were absolutely sure a teaser trailer would come soon. A lot of brain activity went into figuring out the mechanics behind it all and we're all experts.

Three months ago, people were REALLY ABSOLUTELY sure it would come any time soon! And there were reasons for that.

Now, we still haven't gotten to one. When are the "EON is incompetent" remarks going to come again?

Absolutely. I have the exact sentiment like you Dimitri. And I think it all comes down again to this: Have a little patience, don't get so worked up. Bond-fans in general are slightly more grown up than comic book nerds no?
  • Does the word 'drop' - in this context - annoy any one else, or is it just me?
    shamanimal wrote: »
    Does the word 'drop' - in this context - annoy any one else, or is it just me?
    Yes, it all reminds of the other meaning. I tried to find a gif to better illustrate your point and I now regret trying to do so ;)
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Spyscape post on FB now.
    We'll have to call it off for today I guess.
    Spyscape post on FB now.

Guess so :(
    Let's reserve some hope for tomorrow.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Spyscape post on FB now.

Let's stop hoping, so that when a trailer comes we all go through the roof from excitement.
    Spyscape post on FB now.

Let's stop hoping, so that when a trailer comes we all go through the roof from excitement.

I don’t much care for not hoping. You see, I have no problems with failed expectations. I’d rather dream and be hopeful, because if I don’t, I easily become a rather cynical misanthropist ;) I really do. So, I’ll keep my hopes up for tomorrow, and for Saturday, and for whenever. Just the way I play the game, of life, that is. After all, hope springs eternal ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Spyscape post on FB now.

I don’t much care for not hoping. You see, I have no problems with failed expectations. I’d rather dream and be hopeful, because if I don’t, I easily become a rather cynical misanthropist ;) I really do. So, I’ll keep my hopes up for tomorrow, and for Saturday, and for whenever. Just the way I play the game, of life, that is. After all, hope springs eternal ;)

Hehe.
    Maybe Rami will tease something on Colbert tonight? Maybe not the actual trailer, but it’d be nice to have any new tidbit. Maybe the trailer is being saved for Global Bond Day.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Maybe Rami will tease something on Colbert tonight? Maybe not the actual trailer, but it’d be nice to have any new tidbit. Maybe the trailer is being saved for Global Bond Day.

He ends up releasing the entire film online, no trailer required.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »

He ends up releasing the entire film online, no trailer required.
    "It was me, Barbara. The author of all your pain!"