NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

ggl007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Know anything, @ggl007? Any info in the wind or in the backchannels of Bond-fan-community intelligence? :)
    Friday, but this is not official.

Poster and teaser in less than 48 hours: that seems to be sure now... unless something happened. :D Yes, sorry, I know that's vague but who would put his hand on fire with show bussiness? 8-} I guess wait and see is the best option...

Wish I could get excited over the poster but it's just going to be another boring photoshopped shot of Bond standing with a gun in front of a plain or minimalist background isn't it.

If you're hoping for an elaborately illustrated poster which is very much a throwback to the posters of the 60's-80's, then you're bound to be disappointed. As a graphic designer myself I'm always interested to see how the poster(s) look like, but there's no denying that movie posters have a tendency to be a bit…predictable.

Minimalism seems to be the way things are now. Most posters these days rely on using two contrasting colours and a straightforward design - probably so the image can be easily manipulated into banner form later on too. Makes sense from that perspective but you're absolutely right; it's not very exciting.

Indeed, how the design can be applied to various formats and mediums is always something the designers will have to take into consideration. I'm sure that there are plenty of great poster drafts/ideas that never see the light of day because they're not easy enough to adjust to all formats – or for other practical reasons can't be used. Even font choices have to be practical, as the title and additional text must be adapted for a number of different languages.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Denbigh wrote: »
    As long as it's better than the posters for Spectre. I never understood why they put the skull on the main poster, it wasn't even that big of a thing in the film?

Yeah that was a really weird choice. A photo of Bond in a tux standing in front of a different photo of Bond in a disguise he wears for a minute at the start of the film. My expectations for the posters have got lower and lower over the years but they outdid themselves with that one. Made the SF poster of him in front of the gunbarrel look like the TLD poster in comparison.
    At least they’re no old ladies here giving orders.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    As long as it's better than the posters for Spectre. I never understood why they put the skull on the main poster, it wasn't even that big of a thing in the film?

Loved the IMAX poster with the skull, I have it framed on the wall. I loved Dia De Muertos' inclusion in the film. To each his own!
    I also loved that skull poster! The PTS still is great for me, even though much of SP disappoints me otherwise.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Yeah that was a really weird choice. A photo of Bond in a tux standing in front of a different photo of Bond in a disguise he wears for a minute at the start of the film. My expectations for the posters have got lower and lower over the years but they outdid themselves with that one. Made the SF poster of him in front of the gunbarrel look like the TLD poster in comparison.

I don't know what poster you all were looking at, but this was flat-out badass:

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F09%2Fspectre.jpg&w=400&c=sc&poi=face&q=85
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Loved the IMAX poster with the skull, I have it framed on the wall. I loved Dia De Muertos' inclusion in the film. To each his own!

Agreed.

spectre.jpg?itok=nm_kbWdT
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    I loved the SPECTRE posters: wished they weren't so minimalistic and I hope for NTTD's theatrical US or Quad poster to be an explosive spectacle where Bond, the girls, the villains and lots of action scenes are featured, although it's unlikely to happen. But the SPECTRE white tux one was cool. Craig looks as if he was sleepy, but the overall idea was good. I love to see Bond in tux and with the gun visible.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Those Spectre skull mask posters got a lot of attention in movie lobbies is what I saw. Pretty decent marketing.

spectre-banner-slice-600x200.jpg
    702727c41b07ac8d3d05eb667d0c03b5.jpg

Surely they'll think of something. Some kind of hook.
    Marauder-SideView_grande.gif?v=1554936520
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

I think I got the point

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2019 Posts: 7,526
    Day of the Dead was a long time coming to the Bond franchise IMO, and the connection with SPECTRE was inspired. Shame about the execution of the narrative.
    w2bond wrote: »

I think I got the point

Hope the marketing for NTTD really reels me in.
  • w2bond wrote: »
    I think I got the point
    I think I got the *thrust* of it.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    In 10 days the second trailer for the TRoS will come out. Fingers crossed for today/tomorrow or at least next week for the NTTD one.
    So, let's see if @ggl007's source (no pressure! :P) is right and something indeed arrives today.

Times to look out for are 2pm UK and 5pm UK...

Keeping an eye on the BBFC and other ratings boards today also...
  • antovolk wrote: »
    So, let's see if @ggl007's source (no pressure! :P) is right and something indeed arrives today.

Times to look out for are 2pm UK and 5pm UK...

Keeping an eye on the BBFC and other ratings boards today also...

It isn't coming today. Remember when a certain someone said their sources informed them that we were getting the trailer on 25th September and that very quickly didn't transpire.

It's likely that perhaps a poster drops today - alongside maybe some stills or a BTS reel. But no trailer till next week.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Oh I think the skull being on the poster was pretty cool. Also quite Fleming-y in fact: his book covers always seemed to have skulls on them! :)

I think Richard's idea of the speargun is a great one: Bond looks proper badass in the behind-the-scenes vid holding that.

On that note, if we don't get a trailer tomorrow I would think another BTS vid seems possible.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    1. Forget the trailer. I realised I want something else instead on Global James Bond Day™: a public apology from Barabra Broccoli to the great Danny Boyle. :))

2. @ggl007 has been more often wrong than right so far, but I trust him that the trailer will arrive tomorrow. If it won't, he will officially enter the mi6community Hall of Fame as the member with the worst sources.

@PanchitoPistoles you really don't help yourself do you. You complain when members mock of offend you, but then you make posts like the above.

1. Danny Boyle has moved on like everyone else. EON are not going to apologise, and they don't need too. SHUT UP ABOUT DANNY BOYLE, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

2. When was the last time you posted anything that could be news? You're very quick to judge and comment, when things don't happen as you expect. @ggl007 has provided many news stories for the forum over the years, and is a well respected member of the James Bond community as a whole. Whether he's right or wrong, his contribution is respected. Such behaviour from yourself could be seen as bullying and / or flaming.

Time to stop expecting everything to fall into place, when you think it should.
    And if a news source happens to be incorrect, then so be it. That goes for a few other members around here.
    It's not a competition!
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,677
    And it's not about @ggl007 being right or wrong, as this is not his info, it's the info he was told. So it's his informant that will be right or wrong. @ggl007 is just being kind enough to tell us what he's been told unofficially.

It's never on the journalist, it's on the source. So, do not shoot the messenger. Or you'll eventually be left on the dark, news wise.

That being said, I do hope it's today. Something for today, I mean. Or at least tomorrow (I'd be shocked if there's nothing tomorrow, not a poster, not a post. Shocked, negatively shocked). Things have been rather quiet as of late. Not that they shouldn't be. But something new would be nice. We'd all appreciate it, that's for sure.
  • GertGettlerGertGettler Laptop Barcelona
    Today it's the 4th of October: World Animal Day
    Tomorrow it's the 5th of October: World James Bond Day.
    Today it's the 4th of October: World Animal Day
    Tomorrow it's the 5th of October: World James Bond Day.

It's also World Smile Day today.

giphy.gif
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Would love a teaser today or tomorrow. Even though I'm not anxious for one, I do feel it would be a missed opportunity if there isn't one out with Joker, or at least James Bond day.

Patience admittedly is a virtue, but I do feel the last month or so of waiting has been a drag. I have faith @ggl007 has great sources, he seems to be a valuable member of this community.

If it's today are we saying 5pm GMT ? The same tomorrow as well?
    Yeah, nothing came at 2 (aside from this Bollinger press release) so next bet at 5...

https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/celebrating-40-years-of-bollinger-amp-007-823302277.html
  • TripAces wrote: »

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F09%2Fspectre.jpg&w=400&c=sc&poi=face&q=85

It's just boring imo, as all the recent posters have been, and becomes really weird when you watch the film and realise that it's just Bond's disguise for one minute at the start.

This is badass

https://images.app.goo.gl/XL9qHWkYwqHXU46Y9

And I don't get why something similar couldn't work as a modern poster on different formats. Baby Driver for example had a cool illustrated poster

https://images.app.goo.gl/z8y1cmkmggGzVKY67

And even if it had to be a photoshop job, they could still be doing better than they have been doing. This poster for Kingsman isn't amazing, probably about Brosnan era quality, but it's still a lot better than the last couple of posters have been imo.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Mq6wCK6jjRMM9AEk7

So I doubt it's anything to do with fitting onto modern formats and sadly think it's probably more due to branding than anything else. That just seems to be what they've decided to stick to now. Bond with a gun in front of a boring (the white ones), misleading (the SF gunbarrel ones) or weird (the SP disguise that's barely in the film) background.
    You gotta remember that 'does it make sense with the film' is a non factor when it comes to marketing. It's all about what connects better with audiences and how recognisable the stars are (that contractuals stuff is a huge deal).

Then again with Bond, Eon and the film's creatives have far more control than any other franchise of its ilk. They could safely do an old school illustrated style poster if they wanted to - just look at the Star Wars ones. So the more likely answer indeed comes down to Barbara/MGW's taste...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,960
    TripAces wrote: »

It's just boring imo, as all the recent posters have been, and becomes really weird when you watch the film and realise that it's just Bond's disguise for one minute at the start.

This is badass

https://images.app.goo.gl/XL9qHWkYwqHXU46Y9

To be honest I think the other Daylights one with Tim in the blue gunbarrel and Kara's legs in the foreground is way more striking, memorable and stylish than a big montage of everything. Simplicity is better.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,960
    antovolk wrote: »
    Yeah, nothing came at 2 (aside from this Bollinger press release) so next bet at 5...

https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/celebrating-40-years-of-bollinger-amp-007-823302277.html

They're making a Moonraker shuttle with a magnum of champagne inside? I shall look forward to seeing that! :)

Ah here it is! Pretty cool actually:
    Gravure-Navette-SMALL.jpg

navette-ouverte-SMALL.jpg
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,293
    So I doubt it's anything to do with fitting onto modern formats and sadly think it's probably more due to branding than anything else. That just seems to be what they've decided to stick to now. Bond with a gun in front of a boring (the white ones), misleading (the SF gunbarrel ones) or weird (the SP disguise that's barely in the film) background.

Fitting to formats is a consideration they have to take into account in any marketing campaign, but it's obviously far from a sole reason for the posters looking like they do.

If EON wanted elaborate designs and felt that specific direction to be the best way to present the films, they would have got it. It's worth noting that Empire Design, that's worked on the last five(?) campaigns, including NTTD, do have a lot of minimalistic looking works in their portfolio. examples below:
    497_1_7_asset.jpg
    519_1_2_asset.jpg
    543_1_7_asset.jpg
    421_1_3_asset.jpg
    421_1_17_asset.jpg

I also managed to find a few notes from the designer of the NTTD title logo. I wonder if they'll animate it in a cool way in the trailer?

My title style for the new James Bond film. Created at Empire Design. A fitting, nostalgic, throwback to a film series that has increasingly paid tribute to it's roots. For type aficionados this is a subtly tweaked version of Paul Renner's Futura Black (1929).
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    You all staring at the @007 Twitter feed right now... waiting? ;)
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    You all staring at the @007 Twitter feed right now... waiting? ;)

I have my mentions turned on...

But honestly, I'm not expecting anything... Tomorrow is another thing...
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Well today doesn't appear to be the day after all...except if something shows up at tonight's Skyfall Live thing.

Someone mentioned on the other thread that Universal France said something about 'artwork' coming Saturday?