The Petrolhead Lounge

1858687888991»

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There was an owner of one living close by, so I've seen it often enough, and think it's one of the ugliest expensive EV on the market. Actually, considering it's uglyness, it's why I believe Ian Callum was responsible for the DB9 (still the most beautiful car ever build imo) and the V8 vantage, instead of Fisker.
    The Karma doesn't do any better I think, with that tongue sticking out-look.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    The Greatest Cars Of The Year: TopGear.com Awards 2023
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

As I'm in this profession (car reviewing), I find this approach suboptimal. My company does future "of the year" awards, meaning in 2023, we crown the 2024 Car Of The Year. It's advice for what to buy next year, ideally.

By TG doing car of THIS year, well, how does a Cybertruck count? Only a handful have been delivered to customers, and that was as of literally yesterday. Hardly defines the entire year, when other cars like the new Camry (earlier last month), or Land Cruiser, or Ioniq 5 N, etc. made bigger debuts. Just funny to me. Harmless fun either way. TG has a good selection here.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    LucknFate wrote: »

As I'm in this profession (car reviewing), I find this approach suboptimal. My company does future "of the year" awards, meaning in 2023, we crown the 2024 Car Of The Year. It's advice for what to buy next year, ideally.

By TG doing car of THIS year, well, how does a Cybertruck count? Only a handful have been delivered to customers, and that was as of literally yesterday. Hardly defines the entire year, when other cars like the new Camry (earlier last month), or Land Cruiser, or Ioniq 5 N, etc. made bigger debuts. Just funny to me. Harmless fun either way. TG has a good selection here.

Oh come on, saying the KIA 'looks good'? Are they legally blind? Some of the choices I can understand, but claiming the cybertruck is going to be a 'game changer' is a bit far-fetched. I'm not very impressed, to say the least. For me, it seems like a social-media hitlist rather than a thought-throu awards- show.

Oh come on, saying the KIA 'looks good'? Are they legally blind? Some of the choices I can understand, but claiming the cybertruck is going to be a 'game changer' is a bit far-fetched. I'm not very impressed, to say the least. For me, it seems like a social-media hitlist rather than a thought-throu awards- show.

I will have to challenge you on the Kia. We had one for testing (it was disqualified from competing for awards for stupid reasons on Kia's end), but it was EXTREMELY popular among our judges/reviewers. I think I need to warm to it, but I am a fan of Kia's design language/direction, and dig the EV6. I like the EV9, but I could see how some might find its design a little aggressive. It's like an uglier XC90, for sure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I think Kias have been amongst the best-looking cars on the road in recent years.
    I've actually never seen that Land Cruiser before- that totally passed me by, and it's a proper stunner.

I went to Australia last year and surprised to see they have a model of Land Cruiser (or Pajero of course) which we never got here - they have a really cool retro-styled one which looks properly cool. Because they're more culturally important there I guess we never got it.

I will have to challenge you on the Kia. We had one for testing (it was disqualified from competing for awards for stupid reasons on Kia's end), but it was EXTREMELY popular among our judges/reviewers. I think I need to warm to it, but I am a fan of Kia's design language/direction, and dig the EV6. I like the EV9, but I could see how some might find its design a little aggressive. It's like an uglier XC90, for sure.

Can you say the reasons why Kia were disqualified ? What did they do ?

I like the the korean (not the EV9) and some of the chinese designs which are designed by european designers mainly.
    I saw a nice dark blue EV6 yesterday.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,430

Can you say the reasons why Kia were disqualified ? What did they do ?

I like the the korean (not the EV9) and some of the chinese designs which are designed by european designers mainly.
    I saw a nice dark blue EV6 yesterday.

Part of our testing procedure for SUV of the Year is a public road test loop. At the time, Kia was nervous because they didn't have explicit permission to let non-Kia employees drive a prototype EV9 on public roads, and by the time they got permission, it was too late. So we had the vehicle for our private grounds testing, but then couldn't test it publicly. Got to look, but not judge. It will now qualify for next year (we have a small window of vehicles to qualify if they launch "late one year, early the next" sort of deal).
    Tesla Cybertruck v Hummer DRAG RACE

Only in America........ :))

Well I can't help that. I do like the fact that they're trying to develop a design language, and though I'm not in awe of the EV6 (I find it a bit bland) I don't find it ugly either. The EV9 however, just doesn't work for me. It's not as bad as the Nissan Juke, but it's certainly going in that direction.
    2024 Ferrari 296 GTB Review

V6 hybrid.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    That is truely an expertly made video of the Porsche. Let's just hope that no deer or wild boar came out of those woods.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,353
    Ferrari 288 GTO

Another video about nature :)>-
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Harry's latest is a review of the 288 GTO too:

Harry should have bought the GTO as well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's very cool.
    Great investment too. Worth 3.5 MILLION GBP now.
    THJ: New Arrivals | A no excuse 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

£POA
    https://www.tomhartleyjnr.com/car/stock/1962/ferrari/250-gto/113165/

This looks almost real ?
    GTA 5 Photorealistic Graphics Mod With Enhanced Ray Tracing Gameplay On RTX4090 Maxed Out Settings

Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
    250 GT California Spider
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This is pretty, and the original car from the movie too:

Here's your chance to build the TSWLM Lotus Esprit with LEGO (no regular model on sale, but a custom-build), it even transforms to the under water version.

https://youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=D5VZ4Qj2IQE
    This monday, in front of the local VW dealership, I saw two rare cars. The first one was a Cadillac Escalade Hybrid. Really bling bling. The second one was classier : an Alfa Roemo GTV 2.0. A collector's item. The owner had even kept the yellow headlamps which were mandatory in France from 1936 until 1992. I received a shot of nostalgia seeing that.
    Gerard wrote: »
    This monday, in front of the local VW dealership, I saw two rare cars. The first one was a Cadillac Escalade Hybrid. Really bling bling. The second one was classier : an Alfa Roemo GTV 2.0. A collector's item. The owner had even kept the yellow headlamps which were mandatory in France from 1936 until 1992. I received a shot of nostalgia seeing that.

that's cool! I think the GTV looks even better with the yellow headlights, just a bit more mean.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I have only ever seen one of those, a neighbour used to have one. Get a load of the boot lid rippling like water when the door was shut. :)) I like the look of the car, but everything else just looks/sounds so cheap.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Another rare car, the Hyundai Stellar:

I have never ever seen one in person.
    I love this story:

In 1995, McLaren F1-driver Gerhard Berger finished his race in Imola in third place behind Schumacher and Alesi. But off the track his private car, a V12 Ferrari F512 M (Berger drove for Ferrari up until 1989), was stolen and had remained lost - until now.

In late 2023, an American wanted to buy a F512 M from a British broker and asked Ferrari to confirm the car's history. Ferrari realised it was the stolen car and immediately involved the Metropolitan Police. They seized the car and reconstructed what happened: Following the theft it had immediately been shipped to Japan and had only just come back to England in late 2023.

In 1991 it was worth 103.000 GBP (330.000 DM), but it surely is worth much more now than 29 years ago. The police estimate it's worth 350.000 GBP. Will Gerhard Berger want it back?

timbrown_512m-01.jpg