The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia

Nevera sets new Guinness World Records™ Title – 275.74 km/h in reverse!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,355
    Nevera Nürburgring EV lap record onboard | 7:05.298 on the Nordschleife!

Rimac Nevera sets the EV Top Speed World Record! 412 kmh..........

2024 Mercedes-AMG GT 63 Coupe
    VW ID7 driving REVIEW

Nice looking sedan, don't like the color though
    1962 Ferrari 250 GTO The Most Expensive Ferrari Ever Sold

$51,705,000 USD
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is bonkers going to Goodwood every year and seeing several of those happily getting involved in the racing.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The end of a Porsche 911 Targa, age unknown. Saw this today in Hamburg, it is now a decoration piece for a coffee bar.
    targacafemiixm.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's pretty cool :D
    KARMA KAVEYA

Skywell Auto | A Brand New Electric Car SKYHOME
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Somehow everything in me rebells against a Skywell Skyworth.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I prefer Skyfall.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They're quite dull, aren't they.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Genuinely think there's either a revolution or a crisis coming to car design in the next couple of decades.

Apple's patents for a car seem to suggest they think the interior will be completely AR and VR focused, with little to no actual glass to the outside world. You get in a dark media cubby that drives you around while you play games. I hate that. And then who cares what it looks like if that's the purpose?

The flipside is integrated electrical components, like structural battery packs, tense fabric bodyshells that can reshape for different aero profiles, 3D printing etc.

But yes, right now, things are fairly boring, especially most of the EVs coming out of China.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Genuinely think there's either a revolution or a crisis coming to car design in the next couple of decades.

Apple's patents for a car seem to suggest they think the interior will be completely AR and VR focused, with little to no actual glass to the outside world. You get in a dark media cubby that drives you around while you play games. I hate that. And then who cares what it looks like if that's the purpose?

The flipside is integrated electrical components, like structural battery packs, tense fabric bodyshells that can reshape for different aero profiles, 3D printing etc.

But yes, right now, things are fairly boring, especially most of the EVs coming out of China.

Clarkson already said it 13 years ago, but I thibk he's right. We're at the end of an era, and what's in store for the future doesn't inspire me - at all.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,014
    At least it'll finally mean an end to car reviewers saying 'this is probably the last car of its kind' as they've been saying in countless reviews for the last 15 years, and as in that video- they made another model of Vantage V12 after that, and it's still on sale! :D

Funnily enough, looks like the Vantage V12 has even actually outlived Clarkson's TV career as a car reviewer!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mtm wrote: »
    At least it'll finally mean an end to car reviewers saying 'this is probably the last car of its kind' as they've been saying in countless reviews for the last 15 years, and as in that video- they made another model of Vantage V12 after that, and it's still on sale! :D

Funnily enough, looks like the Vantage V12 has even actually outlived Clarkson's TV career as a car reviewer!

hahaha that's true. At least in the old-new top gear they made it look very cool. Aston MArtin is even promising a V12 speedster. But what's coming after that isn't quite in the same legue:
    pi_image_01.jpg?mw=1920&rev=85c9063843a8439d9220d99af2484804&extension=webp&hash=4CB72174E778054D2864D302CE48A39E
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Are we saying that actual flying cars are less exciting?! :))
    mtm wrote: »
    Are we saying that actual flying cars are less exciting?! :))

Sure, do you think you'll get the chance to steer it yourself? No way. You're just coming along for the ride. If you do that on a daily basis, you'll find it boring as can be.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Actual flying though!
    This looks cool

This looks cool

I'd say it looks like a flattened Tesla. The way a Porsche 356 looked like flattened Beetle.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Again, quite dull looking. It’s just another iteration of the Fisker Karma, which has been around for years.
    I think fisker went bust and someone bought the assets and called them karma now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah thanks, that makes sense.
    Exactly what happened. Henrik Fisker started Fisker, the car company, with the Karma sedan. Hurricane Sandy flooded his inventory of vehicles, drove him bankrupt, he sold off his namesake company and its assets. They rebranded from Fisker to Karma (sedan's name became Revero). Henrik now has confusingly started another new company, called Fisker, which makes vehicles, lol.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I once saw a brightly foil-wrapped Fisker Karma in Hamburg, it was a sight to behold! From afar, I could not make any sense of it, it appeared like a cross of a BMW Z8 with a Dodge Viper. They are very rare in Germany.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,439
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I once saw a brightly foil-wrapped Fisker Karma in Hamburg, it was a sight to behold! From afar, I could not make any sense of it, it appeared like a cross of a BMW Z8 with a Dodge Viper. They are very rare in Germany.

You may know this, and excuse me if you do, but Fisker tells a story about how he championed for the Z8 at a champagne party with executives and won them over with his design. Makes sense you see it in the newer car from him as well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That is one car I think I've never seen, actually. Apparently they were never sold in the UK, and although some were imported, it's probably in the single figures. I guess it doesn't help that they're wrong hand drive. There's one for sale in Richmond.