The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    NEW World's Fastest Car ?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this car is ugly from the front and from the back.

Another new M that looks ugly.
    NEW BMW i5 M60 Review: An Electric M5 With Too Much Tech?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think that's pretty handsome actually. BMW styling often seems to take a while to be appreciated.
    1990 Alain Prost Ferrari 641 Walkthrough
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited October 2023 Posts: 7,988
    mtm wrote: »
    I think that's pretty handsome actually. BMW styling often seems to take a while to be appreciated.

Probably a couple of hundred years this time, you must be way ahead of me ;-)
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,355

Probably a couple of hundred years this time, you must be way ahead of me ;-)

I can't believe people are paid to design such rubbish :))
    Maybe BMW should use AI to design their cars ? :)]
    World Premiere of the New MAZDA ICONIC SP

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Interesting car
    edited October 2023 Posts: 4,312
    Now that is a cool concept car! I do not see anything wrong with the design, it builds upon the MX5 and has beautiful curves. Check out the sweet eye-lids that open to reveal the headlights! And those doors! Mazda may just have caught up with Alfa Romeo in terms of designing the most beautiful cars.

What worries me is the closed captions - that can't be right: Of course a PHEV can be used as a power source for "glamping" (had to look up that word), but who goes glamour-camping with a 2-seater and AT THE TIME OF DISASTER?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Pretty bland for a concept car.
    Beautiful! Love it. Want one, now ❤️
    Pretty bland for a concept car.

Sure, but if they make it nto a production one I think it will rock.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If they restyle it totally and give it some vague character and uniqueness, sure ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mazda have never done it for me. I can't think of one that I have ever liked the look of.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Mazda have never done it for me. I can't think of one that I have ever liked the look of.

Objection, your honour. I loved our 1992 Mazda MX5 (known as Miata elsewhere), the "NA" model with the folding headlamps and a five-speed manual transmission. The most fun car we've ever had. We just felt in 2008 that with the sill beams rusted through, and with no side impact protection, and no air bags, a different choice might be appropriate. We sold it at a good price, buying a BMW E93 hard-top convertible with an automatic trans instead (which we still own after 15 years, and which will last for further years), but I've always missed the MX5 no matter what. It was a great and absolutely pretty car, giving you the thrill of driving desired, so that I would still like to own it today if it were still up to the safety standards you'd expect from cars today.

And as for tonight (not intending to buy another car so far), my opinion is that Mazdas are definitely the best looking cars coming out of Japan by far (especially in red :-)). In other words, I like their looks much more than everything that Toyota or Nissan or Subaru or any other Japanese brands still around have ever produced. Combined with a perfect reliability record of our MX5 (we never had less trouble with any other car than with that one!, especially over 16 years!) this means that if we ever should decide to buy a Japanese car, Mazda would be the choice.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2023 Posts: 13,894
    I preferred the MX5 when it was a Lotus Elan. ;)

In fact, I don't see the appeal in Japanese cars in general, at least in terms of looks. They are built well, just lacking in style. If I were to acquire enough money to fill out my own dream garage, there wouldn't be many Japanese cars in there. I would probably have a Mitsubishi Starion, & Lancer Evo IV and possibly a first generation Subaru Impreza and that is it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,016
    Korea can though. The Hyundai N Vision 74 concept remains supersexy

DSC01053.jpg?w=1784&h=1004
    Now the bad concepts............
    Toyota FT Se Sports Car

Subaru Sport Mobility Concept Sports Car

Nissan Hyper Force Concept
    GAC AION HYPER SSR
    edited October 2023 Posts: 4,312
    I actually quite like the Toyota. But the mobile phone-shaped screens in the cockpit and the rectangular wheel are not the smartest ideas.

toyota-ft-se-sports-car-concept-interior-107-65392a5157db7.jpg
    Most asian producers sseem to think of cars as some sort of gadgets, and it usually doesn't work well. Mazda has developed it's own image over the last decades, and personally, I like it. Not in an extremely enthousiastic way, but still. The Mazda 6 to me is a good looking car, and you can see the family design in this concept as well. Now I've never driven one, so I can't comment on that, but aestetically, I'm glad they've found their way.
    Korea can though. The Hyundai N Vision 74 concept remains supersexy

DSC01053.jpg?w=1784&h=1004

That’s sexy?!?

Oh well, different tastes I suppose.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    This is not new, but I only stumbled across it tonight. It should get everybody thinking twice about trying to set new speed records with their family car (or worse).

Caterham V preview
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,016
    I saw that in the metal a couple of months ago, it's a pretty little car when you stand next to it. Funny how much it resembles a Dino though. With the front end of that Jaguar from Spectre stuck on!
    I'm sure you think it's the ugliest thing you've ever seen though! :D
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,355
    It looks vary nice. :)>- My taste in cars isn't that bad is it ? :))
    I read the other day that the korean ev's (kia,hyundai) have 3 radiators unlike the tesla's so maybe grilles are still needed ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well you just seem to hate all of them! :D

Well you just seem to hate all of them! :D

Surely you can't be serious ? I know, i shouldn't call you shirley.......... :))
    That little Caterham and the Mazda iconic sp have nailed their designs. Finally, some beauty in the ev world.