Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,353
    Electric Astons coming soon ?
    Caterham Project V fully-electric coupe concept
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I was looking at that last night. Not beautiful perhaps, but distinctive: like their Alpine A110. Sort of a mashup of a Ferrari Dino 246 and the Jaguar C-X75. Could be very cool, I hope it does well for them.

A better look at the Valour:

Do you like the look of the Valour ?
    The front looks very "messy"
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Do you like the look of the Valour ?
    The front looks very "messy"

It looks like a oversized Mustang. Like a Ford with a disease. I like the profile, the rear end has some nice homages to the V8 etc. but is a little much. I don't see taste or style, it's a little desperate.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Hopefully I will see one this weekend. Maybe that Caterham too.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    mtm wrote: »
    Looks like some of Aston's richer customers complained that they couldn't have a Victor too!

Aston Martin Valour:

New Aston Martin Valour brings 705bhp V12 and manual gearbox
    Highly exclusive, £1m-plus supercar channels spirit of one-off Victor and famous 1970s racer

aston-martin-valour-2023-high-front-quarter.jpg?itok=pANp9nBh

aston-martin-valour-2023-high-rear-quarter.jpg?itok=tb2soC-w

aston-martin-valour-2023-front-quarter.jpg?itok=TNXEbmjJ

I quite like it. Even more so the manual gearbox. A lost art.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I vividly remember Sir Stirling Moss, in the early 60s, publicly stating that while he had to shift manually in his races, anyone not using an automatic transmission for his private car was an idiot. I was surprised since at the time, automatic transmissions cost a lot of money, but ever since driving an automatic for the first time, I fully agree.

Different subject: I just read for the first time that this beauty will open on Sunday, 23 July, somewhere out in the sticks of Hesse:

https://nationalesautomuseum.de/en

Sounds like I'll have to go there in the near future.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I vividly remember Sir Stirling Moss, in the early 60s, publicly stating that while he had to shift manually in his races, anyone not using an automatic transmission for his private car was an idiot. I was surprised since at the time, automatic transmissions cost a lot of money, but ever since driving an automatic for the first time, I fully agree.

Different subject: I just read for the first time that this beauty will open on Sunday, 23 July, somewhere out in the sticks of Hesse:

https://nationalesautomuseum.de/en

Sounds like I'll have to go there in the near future.

To each his / her own of course, but I find it much more engaging to drive a car with a manual gearbox than one with an automatic one.

That is when I'm driving, not when I'm in a traffic jam.
    I’m a Stirling Moss fan. That being said, I think it is healthy to disagree with some things our idols say. Anything else is dogmatic delusion. Besides, Stirling probably meant most people are awful drivers and should stick to automatic vehicles ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Fact is also that modern automatic transmissions (with 8 or 9 gears) shift faster than is possible for anyone trying to do it manually. That being said, I'm not among those who wish to "race" their car (although we still don't have a general speed limit over here, though most of the Autobahn has individual restrictions), but am just generally happy with automatics. The last time I actively shifted was a rental car in 2009.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,957
    I can see the appeal, especially with very powerful cars, as it means shifting gears rapidly all the time with manual versions of those which can get in the way. I opted for manual as I found it more fun and mine only has a little under 300bhp which makes it more manageable (the converse being that it has enough torque that you can pretty much stay in third gear all the time when you're feeling lazy!), but there are obviously times in traffic when I'd kill for an auto.
    Autos do make sense: if you were designing the concept of a car from scratch nowadays there's no way you'd put a little stick in the middle which people have to waggle all the time to change ratios. We stopped having to double de-clutch many decades ago after all. We may not even need brake pedals soon; I'd like to try one-pedal driving as it makes sense to me.

You can turn engine sounds on or off in this......
    0-100km/h: 3.4 seconds
    2023 Goodwood Festival of Speed has started.

Live stream on youtube
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A Hyundai made a rather spectacular nosedive into the hay bales yesterday!

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yikes. Very dangerous.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yes I was looking at that last night. Not beautiful perhaps, but distinctive: like their Alpine A110. Sort of a mashup of a Ferrari Dino 246 and the Jaguar C-X75. Could be very cool, I hope it does well for them.

A better look at the Valour:

I love it. Love the blend o modern and retro. In- and outside.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Goodwood is actually cancelled tomorrow: the first time I'm aware that's happened.
    Goodwood is actually cancelled tomorrow: the first time I'm aware that's happened.

What? Really? Why?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Univex wrote: »

What? Really? Why?

After consulting weather experts, health and safety advisors and other key stakeholders, we have taken the decision to close the event site due to high winds scheduled to reach over 50mph.

On-site safety is our highest priority and the forecasted winds will pose a serious risk to the various temporary structures across the site such as bridges, paddocks, tents and enclosures. We politely ask that you do not travel to Goodwood or attempt to access the site.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

What? Really? Why?

After consulting weather experts, health and safety advisors and other key stakeholders, we have taken the decision to close the event site due to high winds scheduled to reach over 50mph.

On-site safety is our highest priority and the forecasted winds will pose a serious risk to the various temporary structures across the site such as bridges, paddocks, tents and enclosures. We politely ask that you do not travel to Goodwood or attempt to access the site.

Oh, thanks. Well, safety first :)
    10 fastest FOS Timed Shootout practice runs 2023

The Spectre has a run to start off.
    Night Drive on Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta 11.4.6 with Commentary

This is bizarre.........
    Human Horizons HiPhi Z
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Drag racing is OK, but really only about acceleration and top speed. But it is much more interesting when also endurance, curve handling and general driver ability come into play, and on top shifting weather conditions.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I watched that one last night; it is actually pretty amazing.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Interesting, but it proves above all that the preparation and driver are just as important. That, and it was the 2008 RB formula one car. It would be far more interesting to see what Checko or Max could do in such a dragrace, with warm tyres.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,353
    F1 used to be about have the best technology engine etc wise for many years yet these ev's make them look slow, which is staggering.
    They plan to continue using hybrids in f1 for a lot more years, atm.