The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    :-O :-O

I prefer the Mini....

Looks a bit like Fatima Blush's Renault from NSNA to be honest, which I don't mind at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2023 Posts: 14,861
    It's much the same idea: a beefed-up Renault 5. And the R5 Turbo in NSNA is one of the coolest 80s cars there was.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The new Z4 hasn't quite worked for me before, but this hardtop concept makes the shape make sense to me suddenly. I really want it!

2023-bmw-z4-touring-coupe-concept-at-villa-deste-10.jpg?itok=xMQyMahm
    2023-bmw-z4-touring-coupe-concept-at-villa-deste-14.jpg?itok=i3h4f5kf
    2023-bmw-z4-touring-coupe-concept-at-villa-deste-13.jpg?itok=7fk0L08i

https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/pictures-stunning-new-bmw-z4-touring-coupe#8
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    "Destined to remain a one-off...", as it says in the caption of slide no. 3. And I'd probably rather have the roadster...not expecting to ever buy something like that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it's a concept, but it's so close to being production ready by the looks of it that I wouldn't be surprised if they built it. I'd much rather have that than the Roadster: it'll be stiffer for one thing, plus it's more practical and just looks better to my eye.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    NEW Aston Martin DB12
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    At least the new BMW I5 is not ugly. Is this the beginning of a trend reversal?
    NEW Aston Martin DB12

New Bond car right there! :)
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,341
    Univex wrote: »
    NEW Aston Martin DB12

New Bond car right there! :)

By the time the next Bond film is made there could be a electric powered Aston produced ?
    DBE ?
    zebrafish wrote: »
    At least the new BMW I5 is not ugly. Is this the beginning of a trend reversal?

Yes it's not ugly as you say but still it is only a very average looking car.
    BMW's design philosophy atm is bizarre.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They’ve converted me with their Z4 Touring. I want it.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,341
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes it looks good. You should get the DB12 instead.... :)>-
    The interior of the BMW is much nicer than in the DB12, in which the rectangular dashboard screen has no charme whatsoever.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes it looks good. You should get the DB12 instead.... :)>-

I genuinely think the Z4 looks cooler! Although if someone were giving me either I'll take the Aston as it'll probably be worth more :))

They've got to build it, it just looks stunning.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxDk9q-HETaGNaiC49o-XL-NEypTyVhBaAB0Nz96H_SyhZEkGO
    The touching tale of Tina Turner’s beloved Jaguars
    The late icon's Jaguar XJ6 and a Jaguar E-Type gave her a much-needed taste of freedom
    – and then she had to fight in court to keep them.

Susannah Guthrie | 25 May 2023
    ranvgtinprvunlmvr7sd
    Legendary singer Tina Turner has passed away at the age of 83 at her home in Switzerland, leaving behind a cultural legacy, four children, a flood of tributes from famous friends and numerous hit songs.

Turner's successful career – and turbulent personal life – have been well-documented, from her public divorce from ex-husband Ike Turner, to her childhood spent in the 'Nutbush city limits' she made famous.

One of the lesser-known elements of Turner's personal life, however, was her passion for cars and driving – particularly her love for her two Jaguar cars.
    "It may sound silly, but one of my favourite escapes, and a secret pleasure, was driving my Jaguar," Turner wrote in her 2018 autobiography My Love Story.

"I loved it because it was something I could do by myself, one of the few times I could be alone and free."
    Turner was the proud owner of a white Jaguar XJ6 and a silver Jaguar E-Type, both of which were given to her as gifts.

Turner received the XJ6 in 1970 from singer and actor Sammy Davis Jr as a thank-you gift for doing a show with him in Las Vegas.
    56706264_1105333539654455_4413926070349201408_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p180x540&_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=Q2vyTv31wyYAX8kS1VR&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&edm=AN6CN6oEAAAA&oh=00_AfAguoA4aNAa7IrkYhNPAIFkSR4SH9PLzGyW9YolyUgTOg&oe=649DE58F
    In Turner's autobiography, she recalled receiving the car from the beloved entertainer and revealed it was originally meant to be a Mercedes-Benz.
    "Some entertainers express their thanks by sending flowers, but Sammy was a big-hearted man who did everything in a big way," Turner wrote.

"He pulled [my assistant] Rhonda aside and whispered that he wanted to surprise me with a car. I think he suggested a Mercedes, but Rhonda, bless her heart, told him I was into English cars. Presto! Like magic, a gorgeous, white XJ6 Jaguar was waiting for me outside the hotel."

In Turner's words, the white XJ6 "awakened my passion for fast cars".
    Her Jaguar collection soon expanded in 1973, when Turner's then-husband, Ike Turner, bought her a Jaguar XKE roadster. It wore the licence plate "1 TINA".
    "I'll never forget the moment I got behind the wheel and pulled out of the dealership," Turner wrote.

"It was late and a little misty when I drove the sleek silver Jaguar on Wilshire Boulevard. As far as I was concerned, there was no one else on the road – just me, driving with the windows down, looking and feeling fabulous.

"I can still hear the sound of the motor, the vroom that signaled it was ready to take me anywhere I wanted to go... I knew I would never drive it at top speed, but I still got the adrenaline rush that car lovers experience."
    Turner briefly faced losing her cars in her 1978 divorce from Ike, which left her heavily in debt.
    Recalling her court date with Ike, Turner wrote: "To my relief, the judge ruled in my favour. So I walked out of that courtroom with just my name. Oh, and two Jaguars — cars that had been given to me personally.

"It seems so funny now: no money for food, rent or other necessities, no idea of how to pay the bills, but two Jags!"
    In tribute to Tina Turner – a rock and roll idol and, we now know, self-proclaimed revhead – we suggested you plan a road trip to this destination, ASAP.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nutbush,+TN+38012/@35.6895941,-90.4248414,8z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x887f27831af2e03f:0x2c7b6cd402b7204!8m2!3d35.698133!4d-89.408128!16zL20vMDlqeDJz?entry=ttu
    646f37dd2f6b8.jpeg
    alleged+tina+turner+XKE+a.jpg
    tina+turner+jag+c.jpg

Five-of-Tina-Turners-most-exclusive-cars.jpg

l-intro-1684959722.jpg

Tina-Turner-Bond-Aston-Martin-GettyImages-1294895255-scaled.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ixlib=php-3.3.0

edited June 2023 Posts: 2,341
    Volvo EX30
    The front looks bland. Anyone like it ?
    Porsche's electric version of the valhalla ?
    edited June 2023 Posts: 4,311
    The 11-year old in me just got a sugar-high!

... say what you want, but I like it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Reminds me of the Pink Panther car! :)
    Touchscreens in modern cars:

A swedish car magazine dared test drivers, who were familiar with the cars, to switch to a particular radio station or change the AC settings while driving at 110 km per hour. Modern electric vehicles were compared among each other and a 2005 Volvo V70 as a control. The result: The worst-performing car (a MG Marvel R) needs 1,400 meters to perform the same tasks for which the best-performing car only needs 300 meters - which was the old V70.

link to the test

In Germany you get a ticket when you operate your mobile while driving, but car companies make tablet-sized touchscreens the rule, because they are cheaper and updatable, expecting drivers to maneuvre through endless levels of complexity. Tellingly, the BMW iX came second-last in the test.

There is yet hope for the return of physical switches to electric cars. Volkswagen is said to be reintroducing switches on the steering wheel and a big dial-style selector (similar to the established BMW iDrive controller) in the center console to easily control speaker volume or driving modi. Let's see how that goes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It does seem mad to me. Effective voice control on the other hand; that makes sense.
    Noble M500
    I must admit I had never heard of Noble - but then I am not living in Britain and these kind of cars are very rare in Germany.

It looks surprisingly good from every angle, maybe the rear lights are a bit generic (Citroen). The inside is rather functional, I would expect more from a "supercar".
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Touchscreens in modern cars:

A swedish car magazine dared test drivers, who were familiar with the cars, to switch to a particular radio station or change the AC settings while driving at 110 km per hour. Modern electric vehicles were compared among each other and a 2005 Volvo V70 as a control. The result: The worst-performing car (a MG Marvel R) needs 1,400 meters to perform the same tasks for which the best-performing car only needs 300 meters - which was the old V70.

link to the test

In Germany you get a ticket when you operate your mobile while driving, but car companies make tablet-sized touchscreens the rule, because they are cheaper and updatable, expecting drivers to maneuvre through endless levels of complexity. Tellingly, the BMW iX came second-last in the test.

There is yet hope for the return of physical switches to electric cars. Volkswagen is said to be reintroducing switches on the steering wheel and a big dial-style selector (similar to the established BMW iDrive controller) in the center console to easily control speaker volume or driving modi. Let's see how that goes.

Fact is, I don't need that kind of stuff. My 2016-model Jeep Grand Cherokee has some sort of voice control, but I still haven't bothered actually trying this out. Maybe because I don't trust the electronics anyway. But don't get me started on my "board computer" which is the element I like the least about the car. The best thing I can say is that it plays my music with a great sound, including a sub-woofer in the trunk. The rest is erratic and incomprehensible, and it especially does not store your previous settings.

I'm not sure if this applies to later models, but while I still like driving this car (until it breaks down, I suppose, and it won't happen too soon), this remains a definite nuisance.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,341

Not the best looking Ferrari in recent times imo
    NEVS Emily GT

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,861
    Looks like some of Aston's richer customers complained that they couldn't have a Victor too!

Aston Martin Valour:

New Aston Martin Valour brings 705bhp V12 and manual gearbox
    Highly exclusive, £1m-plus supercar channels spirit of one-off Victor and famous 1970s racer

aston-martin-valour-2023-high-front-quarter.jpg?itok=pANp9nBh

aston-martin-valour-2023-high-rear-quarter.jpg?itok=tb2soC-w

aston-martin-valour-2023-front-quarter.jpg?itok=TNXEbmjJ
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,341
    Ferrari One Off

These video's are cool.......