The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So that was one of the two not in the film, which means by the looks of it it's a fully functioning car with proper interior etc. So much better looking than any real Aston that came after, sadly.
    I wonder where it is now?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    mtm wrote: »
    So that was one of the two not in the film, which means by the looks of it it's a fully functioning car with proper interior etc. So much better looking than any real Aston that came after, sadly.

Here we go again. AM still makes beautiful cars, except for the grille of the Vantage, the Valkyrie & the Valhalla.

The DB10 has an awful interior imho.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,355
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Here we go again. AM still makes beautiful cars, except for the grille of the Vantage, the Valkyrie & the Valhalla.

The DB10 has an awful interior imho.

2020 Aston Martin Vantage AMR
    2020-Aston-Martin-Vantage-AMR-front.jpg

I don't like the grille either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I don't think so, no. Even that Vantage above just looks like a less-purposeful and watered-down version of the DB10 to me. The front lights become wishy-washy and softened.
    She doesn't like the grille either :)
    Ed9Xw3sXkAEGylc?format=jpg&name=large

Ed4c5aEXsAEZ5ZG?format=jpg&name=large
    Ed4c5aEXoAAoT-U?format=jpg&name=large

The aston looks good but not a fan of the alfa.

I don't think so, no. Even that Vantage above just looks like a less-purposeful and watered-down version of the DB10 to me. The front lights become wishy-washy and softened.

The DB10 was meant to be a showcase for the cars to come...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes it was, which is why I think it's a shame they haven't lived up to it. I just wish they'd stop trying to look muscly and aggressive.
    Yes it was, which is why I think it's a shame they haven't lived up to it. I just wish they'd stop trying to look muscly and aggressive.

I do agree that the DB10's nose should've been put on the Vantage.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There is something weird about that Vantage: it looks better in photos. I don't know if it's the lack of chrome on it or something but in person I've found it doesn't really have any presence- it sort of disappears into the crowd more than the previous one did. The first V8 Vantage looked special and had just enough elegance tied to a more aggressive stance, but this one looks a bit... plasticky in person? I genuinely think it looks like a Nissan from some angles. I saw a black one and nearly missed it.
    I also have barely seen any of them on the road: it kind of feels like they haven't been a massive hit.
    1962 Ferrari 250 GTO INCREDIBLE V12 Sounds in London!!

edited July 2020 Posts: 3,497
    https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/mercedes-benz-axing-a-host-of-models-in-the-u-s/

I don't understand why Mercedes is doing this, and firing lots of people (20.000 more in the coming months). Their "normal" models here are very popular.

But then again, their EQC brand is a huge flop... :-?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,993

Absolutely stunning- I'm guessing it's for sale from that place near to the Albert Hall? Not sure how I feel about him driving like a dick in London though! :)

Absolutely stunning- I'm guessing it's for sale from that place near to the Albert Hall? Not sure how I feel about him driving like a dick in London though! :)

Another great driver, in Australia this time........
    Ferrari F40 Crashes into the woods during a Test Drive

Ferrari-F40-Australia-Crash-1.jpg
    https://www.thesupercarblog.com/australia-ferrari-f40-crashes-into-the-woods-during-a-test-drive/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,993
    Oh dear. Ah well, there's enough left to rebuild! There are certain cars that are just too valuable and can't be written off! I've seen plenty of Aston DB4s and 5s get trashed at Goodwood over the years and they're always back the next! :)

I used take the bus past the Dorchester every morning and there's always a load of new Bentleys and Lambos and whatever, but a couple of years ago someone turned up with an F40 and I thought he out-cooled everyone else there.
    https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/mercedes-benz-axing-a-host-of-models-in-the-u-s/

I don't understand why Mercedes is doing this, and firing lots of people (20.000 more in the coming months). Their "normal" models here are very popular.

But then again, their EQC brand is a huge flop... :-?

From the reviews of the EQC it looks like a overweight,overpriced,average car...and it looks ugly.
    19c0334_013.jpg?itok=Bj1kymit
    19c0334_075.jpg?itok=T5E-E9uV
    Those seats look cheap......
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Octopussy wrote: »
    ogi1-2021-bmw-4-series-038.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Massive fail, IMO.

I agree. That grill is ghastly. Aggressive and inelegant. Perfect car for the nouveau riche though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just think history has taught us never to write off BMW design straight away! Everyone will think it looks great in a couple of years.
    I just think history has taught us never to write off BMW design straight away! Everyone will think it looks great in a couple of years.

No we won't.

[-X
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No we won't.

[-X

I bet you do. Folks said the same about the Bangle BMWs.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Another great driver, in Australia this time........
    Ferrari F40 Crashes into the woods during a Test Drive

Ferrari-F40-Australia-Crash-1.jpg
    https://www.thesupercarblog.com/australia-ferrari-f40-crashes-into-the-woods-during-a-test-drive/

People just don't understand what they're in for. A friend of mine bought a Tesla 3. It has a 'ludicrous' mode. The salesguy showed it to him, and he said to me 'that never! It's insane! It goes off like a rocket and you're too slow reacting to it'.

He's a sensible chap.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do wonder that about some of these supercars: the ones that can hit 60 in less than 3 seconds- I don't see how most people who drive them are able to react to those sorts of speeds.
    And part of the fun of having a quick car is being able to really squeeze the power out- when you have something that powerful you'll barely get above 2,500 rpm before you're massively breaking the speed limit, and where's the fun in that?
    I do wonder that about some of these supercars: the ones that can hit 60 in less than 3 seconds- I don't see how most people who drive them are able to react to those sorts of speeds.
    And part of the fun of having a quick car is being able to really squeeze the power out- when you have something that powerful you'll barely get above 2,500 rpm before you're massively breaking the speed limit, and where's the fun in that?

Exactly, this obsession with power and speed has ruin the fun in the automotive world. That's why a front engine rear wheel low weight small engine car is the way to go. And there are only a few good sports cars that still comply with that principle.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

No we won't.

[-X

Yep. People who think it's ugly aren't the target market. Plenty of people love the X6. So many that Mercedes copied BMW
    w2bond wrote: »

No we won't.

[-X

Yep. People who think it's ugly aren't the target market. Plenty of people love the X6. So many that Mercedes copied BMW

Those ugly cars sure do sell well. :)

EeGNq8oXkAATeRL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Anyone watching the British gp on the weekend ?
    edited July 2020 Posts: 3,497
    w2bond wrote: »

No we won't.

[-X

No, they listened to the Chinese market. And it will sell. They'll return to more conventional grilles afterwards. Besides, most of their upcoming models will still have the "standard" grille.

But I've never been a big BMW fan.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s only the grille you’re talking about?

What, that I've never been a big BMW fan?
    NQ7ewEb.jpg

The Pagani Huayra roadster could be a perfect Batmobile.

:-?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

What, that I've never been a big BMW fan?

When you say it's an ugly car.