The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    mtm wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    It’s only the grille you’re talking about?

What, that I've never been a big BMW fan?

When you say it's an ugly car.

Yes.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I do find the new grille appaling. BMW's aree to my mind very solid drivers' cars, or supposed to be, with not much going for them but cetainly not much against either. Some have been quite special in an understated way. I especially love the 5 and 7 series from the seventies and eighties, and more recent models I can approve of as well. Loved driving the 3 series. And the I8 is quite the looker. But no, these kidneys definately hsve a problem now.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 3,497
    The BMW models I kinda like: Z4, 5, X3, X5, 8. And the very first generation 1.

As long as they keep them normal kidneys. I used to like the 7, but...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The BMW models I kinda like: Z4, 5, X3, X5, 8. And the very first generation 1.

Lots of people hated them when they first came out. I remember I wasn't sure about the original Z4 or 1 series at all. They look rather great now.
    Yeah ok.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Chris Bangle was pretty much hit or miss with BMW. His 5-series is quirky, but still does not feel outdated:
    autowp_ru_bmw_535d_sedan_m_sports_package_1.jpg

The rear end of the 7-series, however, was a disaster and the front end was kinda dull:
    dims?resize=1200%2C630&crop=1200%2C630%2C0%2C0&quality=95&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fuu%2Fapi%2Fres%2F1.2%2FFa5MRrqXv.oxYbAINCKJpQ--%7EB%2FaD0zNzU7dz02MDA7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogcdn.com%2Fwww.engadget.com%2Fmedia%2F2011%2F03%2Fbmw-7-rear-2011-03-600.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=b2ebdbb91c5a9a93ac618b06f55a06356fbe912c10_21.jpg?itok=FrGwY9yM

My favourite 7 series is actually the previous generation, especially the 760Li:

aWFNLuM.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If it's favourite 7 series, I think Bond actually had the most handsome one.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    w2bond wrote: »
    I just think history has taught us never to write off BMW design straight away! Everyone will think it looks great in a couple of years.

No we won't.

[-X

I bet you do. Folks said the same about the Bangle BMWs.

Yep. People who think it's ugly aren't the target market. Plenty of people love the X6. So many that Mercedes copied BMW

No, they listened to the Chinese market. And it will sell. They'll return to more conventional grilles afterwards. Besides, most of their upcoming models will still have the "standard" grille.

But I've never been a big BMW fan.

Oh definitely, just look at the X7 and GLS. The grille of the X7, along with current Volvos, have a certain silver finish that has a very chinese-catered feel. Also I feel big grilles are mimicking RR and Bentley
    ge5418545413191232348.jpg?width=1024&height=683
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Imagine getting hit by that thing.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,497
    J8hnsgI.jpg

8MwzkFo.jpg

Jaguar XJ6 for Nicko Mcbrain. ;-)
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,355
    My favourite bmw
    bmwm1-01.jpg?w=660
    cq5dam.resized.img.1680.large.time1557527327083.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I just think history has taught us never to write off BMW design straight away! Everyone will think it looks great in a couple of years.

No we won't.

[-X

I bet you do. Folks said the same about the Bangle BMWs.

Yep. People who think it's ugly aren't the target market. Plenty of people love the X6. So many that Mercedes copied BMW

No, they listened to the Chinese market. And it will sell. They'll return to more conventional grilles afterwards. Besides, most of their upcoming models will still have the "standard" grille.

But I've never been a big BMW fan.

Oh definitely, just look at the X7 and GLS. The grille of the X7, along with current Volvos, have a certain silver finish that has a very chinese-catered feel. Also I feel big grilles are mimicking RR and Bentley
    ge5418545413191232348.jpg?width=1024&height=683

What I still find amazing is that these sort of designs are meant to have an expensive 'European' look, but they look as cheap as.-
    Few asian brands have managed to get their own, sometimes expensive look. Notably Japanese carmakers.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    J8hnsgI.jpg

8MwzkFo.jpg

That's awesome. Has that been around for a while? I feel like I've seen it before, or was it something similar?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Very cool, although I'd almost wonder if it's not a great example of the car if it was made for the movie!
    It does look lovely though, and I don't think I've ever seen another replica with that body shape (and I've seen a lot of GT40 replicas!).
    Very cool, although I'd almost wonder if it's not a great example of the car if it was made for the movie!
    It does look lovely though, and I don't think I've ever seen another replica with that body shape (and I've seen a lot of GT40 replicas!).

Where have you seen the gt40 replicas ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,994
    I used to go to kit car shows all the time growing up as my dad built a Cobra, and you still get a few turning up here and there at the car meets I go to (or used to before that sort of thing stopped for a while! :) ). The good ones are pretty indistinguishable from the real thing (and I've seen plenty of those over the years too: especially at Goodwood!).
    If there's a restored original sat to next to a really well-built replica you have to get your magnifying glass out, almost! :)

That's kind of why I get a bit sad when cars get too restored. At Goodwood a few years ago they managed to get all six Cobra Daytonas together (which was amazing to see) but only one of them hadn't been restored to brand new condition (the prototype I think), and it was by far the coolest and most historic one. I want an old car to wear its historic nature proudly on its sleeve: give me some scratches and dirt and cracked leather seats. There's nothing sadder to me than a 1930s Bentley Blower with brand new leather seats. All that history gone.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Here you go, I dug out one of my photos (apologies for the quality) but you can see the one car in the foreground just looks authentic, whereas the others in the garages, despite being the real thing and incredibly important and rare cars, all look boringly brand new.

Daytona2015.jpg

And yet: wow- all six Daytonas. And outside the U.S too: that might not happen again for a very long time.
    And you could just walk up to the things too, as you can see. I think they're worth about $10 million each.

One year they had I think around ten Silver Arrows cars, which was truly remarkable.
    Here you go, I dug out one of my photos (apologies for the quality) but you can see the one car in the foreground just looks authentic, whereas the others in the garages, despite being the real thing and incredibly important and rare cars, all look boringly brand new.

Daytona2015.jpg

And yet: wow- all six Daytonas. And outside the U.S too: that might not happen again for a very long time.
    And you could just walk up to the things too, as you can see. I think they're worth about $10 million each.

One year they had I think around ten Silver Arrows cars, which was truly remarkable.

Those Cobra Daytonas are great looking cars.

I have a couple in 1:18 exoto models and they are going up in value too.
    Like this one.
    s-l1600.png
    J8hnsgI.jpg

8MwzkFo.jpg

That's awesome. Has that been around for a while? I feel like I've seen it before, or was it something similar?

I think he had it custom ordered about 3 years ago. :-)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah yeah it’s from 2018.
    Ah yeah it’s from 2018.

Check out https://www.jaguar.com/about-jaguar/jaguar-classic/index.html

And bring in your Jag or Land Rover. ;-)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2020 Posts: 6,791

Some really nice picks but how can the Lancia Delta Integrale and the Lotus Esprit not be on such a list? 😜
    :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah there are some pretty weird choices there. I like the AMV8 but I wouldn't call it one of the most memorable cars of the 70s/80s. And calling the Citroen DS (which went into production in 1955) a car of the 70s seems a bit odd, even if they were still just about making it into that decade. And then there are some fairly uninteresting US cars. in there too which I'm not sure I'm even very familiar with. I've no idea what makes the LeBaron 'memorable': it looks like every other US car of the time: there's even one called the Versailles in that list which looks identical. They even describe it as mediocre in that same article.. ?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    1960? No: 2020. Discovered these two beauties, a Mercedes-Benz 220s (W 111) and an Auto Union 1000 last Friday on a bicycle tour in the North Frisia district.
    dkww111i7k4a.jpg
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Lovely! And that sounds like a great place to tour, too.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Lovely! And that sounds like a great place to tour, too.
    Well, it sure is...especially if one is getting too old or tired to tackle steep climbs while riding a conventional bike. Part of the countryside is even below sea level. You motorcycle aficionados might miss an adequate supply of hairpin curves :-).