The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the looks of Golf VIII if they managed to get it working without technical faults.

Yes I always found it ironic that they used that "If only everything in life was reliable as a VW' slogan for years (and actually made people believe it!) when everyone I know who's ever had a Golf has had quite a bit of trouble with it.
    I guess it's the Trump tactic of 'if you lie hard enough people will just believe it'.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mtm wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the looks of Golf VIII if they managed to get it working without technical faults.

Yes I always found it ironic that they used that "If only everything in life was reliable as a VW' slogan for years (and actually made people believe it!) when everyone I know who's ever had a Golf has had quite a bit of trouble with it.
    I guess it's the Trump tactic of 'if you lie hard enough people will just believe it'.

The Golf II I had was as reliable as can be and tugh as nails. I remember hitting a curbstone at 70Kph full front (bad weather had made it look like a puddle instead of a 10cm curb) with three passengers. Car didn't have a scratch. If I'd done that with one of the later clio's I'd have had to pick them up in a thousand pieces.
    Apparently the pandemic has been a great time for performing the Cannonball Run: America’s most illegal record has been beaten seven times in the span of just five weeks.
    The new record is now 26 hours and 38 minutes. The winner used an Audi A8 with large marine fuel tanks strapped into the trunk.

For those who don't know, the Cannonball Run starts at the Red Ball Garage in Manhattan and crosses the United States of America to finish at the Portofini Inn in Redondo Beach, California. For further details, please consult the late Burt Reynolds or a man who calls himself Roger Moore but is really Seymour Goldfarb, Jr.
    Lovely vid re taking an Esprit back to Cortina and FYEO.........

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I remember sitting on a train once opposite a guy wearing one of those Lotus 007 FYEO jackets: I was so jealous! :D
    patb wrote: »
    Lovely vid re taking an Esprit back to Cortina and FYEO.........

That was lovely. Thank you.
    I think Harry could make rather a good "Q"?
    patb wrote: »
    I think Harry could make rather a good "Q"?

Definitely, yes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,983
    Here's some new Goldfinger DB5s under construction:

EZFh76jWoAEzPUx?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    But as the MI6 article says, they are not allowed to be driven on public roads. So what's the point?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,983
    They're for collectors, and if you can afford to buy one chances are you have a bit of land with a very long driveway or stretch of road so you can enjoy it all you like. The previous Aston continuations or similar models like the Jaguar XKSS haven't put off the buyers.

What I do find quite funny is that they're more expensive to buy than an actual screen-used Goldfinger car!
    I guess there's fewer of them around though!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    They're for collectors, and if you can afford to buy one chances are you have a bit of land with a very long driveway or stretch of road so you can enjoy it all you like.

Or pop it on a lorry and take it to a car show...does seem kind of a shame that you can't whack it round the Furka Pass though!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Don’t worry, I’m sure the guys who buy these already have an Aston they can drive along there: and it’ll have air conditioning!
    :)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Don’t worry, I’m sure the guys who buy these already have an Aston they can drive along there: and it’ll have air conditioning!
    :)

Yeah, I won't bother feeling too sorry for them!
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,312
    @MajorDSmythe , THIS might be the thread to go for when talking die-cast cars.
    And regarding your recent purchase (see the James Bond Diecast Cars thread) you might enjoy this (drop in at 11:25):

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I quite like it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    So do I...except for the nose, but then people will get used to it, just like they got used to those giant Audi grilles... It's just a bit too aggressive-looking for me. I prefer my twelve-year old E93 (330d Cabrio) in that regard.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So do I...except for the nose, but then people will get used to it, just like they got used to those giant Audi grilles... It's just a bit too aggressive-looking for me. I prefer my twelve-year old E93 (330d Cabrio) in that regard.

I think it's a bit better than the current 4 series for that, which really is very muscly looking, but the angry front lights are a bit silly, yeah. I wish everyone would stop doing big aggressive-looking cars and bring back a bit more style and elegance. I have an old BMW too- the original Z4 coupe, and that's really aged well (despite being hated at the time!) and has a bit of prettiness as well as power to its looks. And doesn't have silly angry eyes!
    :D

I've said it before, but I hate that Aston Martin have gone this way with their design. The only one that worked was the DB10, and they didn't build that!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    zebrafish wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe , THIS might be the thread to go for when talking die-cast cars.
    And regarding your recent purchase (see the James Bond Diecast Cars thread) you might enjoy this (drop in at 11:25):

Even though I think Clarkson is a certified cock, that was an interesting watch. Another BL car that I absolutely love the look of, the Triumph TR-7.
    From a design point of view, the front of the M440i looks far too busy. What were they thinking to choose a design that lets the license plate spoil the entire look?

newcarz-bmw-4er-coupe-1.jpg
    From a design point of view, the front of the M440i looks far too busy. What were they thinking to choose a design that lets the license plate spoil the entire look?

Yeah, regarding the grill, my Mx5 suffers from the same. The license plate just right in the centre covers it all. A crying shame. At least Alfa Romeo works that out by placing it to the side. And those side air vents in the M440i spoil it all as well, as you say, they make it look far too busy.
    Univex wrote: »

Yeah, regarding the grill, my Mx5 suffers from the same. The license plate just right in the centre covers it all. A crying shame. At least Alfa Romeo works that out by placing it to the side. And those side air vents in the M440i spoil it all as well, as you say, they make it look far too busy.

_DSC1316-Edit.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's got a busy front end but the rest of it is fairly simple and actually has some subtle curves for a change. I quite like it.

Some countries are getting a regular, non-M version which has a slightly simpler front end:

p90390048_highres_bmw-430i-coup-minera.jpg?itok=2AHtgSsA
    Now this guy had a good look at the Beamer's front end and calls out the sloppyness:

https://www.dsf.my/2020/06/4-series-coupe-design-issues/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nah I don't really agree with his observations. What I would change would be all of the complicated vents to the side and underneath the kidney- they're a bit fussy.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,894
    Never been a Beamer fan, but they looked their best way back in the day when they they had that Shark-like front end.

BMW_525_%283538948081%29.jpg
    Agreed. And it was soon to be surpassed by this piece of art:

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F07%2F1980-bmw-m1-coupe-auction-003.jpg?q=75&w=800&cbr=1&fit=max
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yer man on that website would be picking that apart for having two badges on the back! :)