Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Sani wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    while James Bond will still be the focus

It's not certain yet, but it's likely.
    and still a white man as Fleming created

Fleming created not just a white man but James Bond as 007.

Hey @Sani, Ian Fleming also wrote about M re-assigning James Bond to the diplomatic branch and re-numbering him 7777. I don't think this was a promotion, lol, since Bond had been drinking heavily and making mistakes ever since Tracy's death... M was ready to fire him...

@peter yeah I just wonder as a brand and logo to people who are general audience members who know nothing about Fleming I'm sure they have to take this into consideration but I'm not the marketing team it will be very interesting to see how they pull it off if they do do this.

Bond gave his resignation to M and it was accepted in Licence To Kill, 30 years ago. Plenty of people managed to understand that the 007 logo all over the posters of the film were the branding of the film, despite, I'm sorry to tell you, James Bond not being 007 for the majority of that movie :)

@mtm yeah but nobody took his license It was the least successful Bond film though 😉 hey if they can convince movie going public tip to the hat.

I thought your issue was the 7777 thing being hard to publicise?
    And you think LTK didn’t do as well as the other ones because he wasn’t 007? Really?

@mtm no it would be a nice easter egg 7777. No I know I was just poking fun i don't think that was the reason or at least the only reason it was the tone of the film. it is ironic though. ;)

It’s a fair cop, yes :)
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    peter wrote: »

Hey @Sani, Ian Fleming also wrote about M re-assigning James Bond to the diplomatic branch and re-numbering him 7777. I don't think this was a promotion, lol, since Bond had been drinking heavily and making mistakes ever since Tracy's death... M was ready to fire him...

@peter yeah I just wonder as a brand and logo to people who are general audience members who know nothing about Fleming I'm sure they have to take this into consideration but I'm not the marketing team it will be very interesting to see how they pull it off if they do do this.

Bond gave his resignation to M and it was accepted in Licence To Kill, 30 years ago. Plenty of people managed to understand that the 007 logo all over the posters of the film were the branding of the film, despite, I'm sorry to tell you, James Bond not being 007 for the majority of that movie :)

@mtm yeah but nobody took his license It was the least successful Bond film though 😉 hey if they can convince movie going public tip to the hat.

I thought your issue was the 7777 thing being hard to publicise?
    And you think LTK didn’t do as well as the other ones because he wasn’t 007? Really?

@mtm no it would be a nice easter egg 7777. No I know I was just poking fun i don't think that was the reason or at least the only reason it was the tone of the film. it is ironic though. ;)

It’s a fair cop, yes :)

@mtm your under arrest lol
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    00Agent wrote: »
    Captain Marvel on the other hand was just smart marketing, otherwise that film would not have made half the money it did.
    Disagree here- most comic fans loved it (I'm one).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    I have to say this female Thor news just adds to the Marvel-bias.

It's literally the same thing. Both films are introducing a female character who will take over the famous mantle from the leading man who is still be the leading man despite the change. Yet its fine because it's Marvel and Natalie Portman. Why have we gone through all this with Lashana Lynch for this to just get a free pass?

I don't want these arguments to happen, but if it is, be consistent.
    Here's a new clip of Alan Cummings discussing his time on Goldeneye.

6:10

That quote stuck out to me:
    "They had this thing where they weren't called Bond girls, they called them "Bond Women". They tried to make it seem a little less sexist than it actually is."

Bottom line is noooooooothing has changed in 20+ years. Bond 25 will not be a feminist revision, it will keep the character intact. Everyone chill. And most importantly, stop reading Tabloids. (can't believe i have to say this)
    Isn't he in US instinct as ex C.I.A turn to detective & Professor. He also Kay husband.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agent7F wrote: »
    Here's a new clip of Alan Cummings discussing his time on Goldeneye.

6:10

That quote stuck out to me:
    "They had this thing where they weren't called Bond girls, they called them "Bond Women". They tried to make it seem a little less sexist than it actually is."

Bottom line is noooooooothing has changed in 20+ years. Bond 25 will not be a feminist revision, it will keep the character intact. Everyone chill. And most importantly, stop reading Tabloids. (can't believe i have to say this)
    Isn't he in US instinct as ex C.I.A turn to detective & Professor. He also Kay husband.

Google, translate!
    It only happened in the comics a good amount of time ago.

Indeed :

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8xMzQvNjU0L2kwMi9UaG9yXzFfUGljaGVsbGlfVmFyaWFudC5qcGc=

And further than that :

female_thor.jpg

As for the black Captain America :

7d627515dde63d840ba3cb195af7b1f5.jpg
    Didn't know this was the comic book thread.

Yeah it's just one film though it's not going to be the future of the franchise

You're basing this claim on what evidence?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2019 Posts: 14,956
    The_Reaper wrote: »

On his or her own intelligence, I would imagine.

Did you hear that Bond was quitting in Licence To Kill and thought he wouldn’t be a spy anymore?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

You're assuming it will be the future of the franchise based on what evidence.

Have you not been paying attention to pop culture or politics the last few years? Star Wars has changed dramatically and gotten "woke", so has Doctor Who (now played by a woman), a black Nick Fury, Marvel comics is rife with race/gender swapping, etc, etc. Now it's bleeding over into the films of Marvel with Thor now being a woman in the upcoming film.

This trend has impacted Bond as well during Craig's era. Black Felix, Moneypenny, female M before Craig took over, and now a female minority taking the 007 code. Oh, and an openly gay villain with Silva. This has been coming for a long time and it's obvious to anyone what they are doing; it's only a matter of how far and how quick to keep pushing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Have you not been paying attention to pop culture or politics the last few years? Star Wars has changed dramatically and gotten "woke", so has Doctor Who (now played by a woman), a black Nick Fury, Marvel comics is rife with race/gender swapping, etc, etc. Now it's bleeding over into the films of Marvel with Thor now being a woman in the upcoming film.

This trend has impacted Bond as well during Craig's era. Black Felix, Moneypenny, female M before Craig took over, and now a female minority taking the 007 code. Oh, and an openly gay villain with Silva. This has been coming for a long time and it's obvious to anyone what they are doing; it's only a matter of how far and how quick to keep pushing.

Or you could, y'know, pay attention to how Bond films work: something happens in one film and it's gone by the next.

"Star Wars has changed dramatically and gotten "woke"", by the way? Is this just because there's a female lead? Is that it? Or is it because she's English or something... what's the exact problem with her?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I know where you're coming from although I didn't even think about Letter or Moneypenny as they fit their roles perfectly and are good actors.

This agenda is definitely obvious in the Star Wars and Marvel universe. Even the self righteous brothers on this thread surely couldn't fail to see that awful and blatant 'grrrl power' moment in Endgame. Unless they actually are that naive. A naff moment in an otherwise excellent film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I haven't seen Endgame.
    Well yes, that moment in Endgame was cringeworthy. Not the way to do it, IMO. Hope there isn't a moment like that in Bond25. It was close to breaking the 4th wall. A pause in narrative so ridiculous it doesn't even serve the agenda in a good way, it makes it ridiculous, which should never be a crossed line in this sort of thing.
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    Didn't know this was the comic book thread.

The comic book thread is far more sane. (Don't dis comics anywhere near me. You wouldn't like me when I'm dealing with culture snobs...)
  • The_Reaper wrote: »

Who needs evidence? In this modern world, fear is all you need...
    Sad to see David Hedison pass away he was such a good Felix.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

"Gotten woke"? Going back to 1983, George Lucas had planned a female lead for Episodes 7, 8 and 9. Nick Fury being black happened in the Ultimate Marvel comics in 2002 (which is why Samuel L Jackson is playing him now), and Thor became a woman almost if not over a decade ago.

I guess the changing social climate -- a climate Bond films have always tried to keep up with -- is too much for you. Bond should still obviously be fighting the Soviet Union now decades after their dissolution.

There's a point where conservativeness just becomes stagnation. Stop trying to stagnate Bond.
  • The_Reaper wrote: »

"Gotten woke"? Going back to 1983, George Lucas had planned a female lead for Episodes 7, 8 and 9. Nick Fury being black happened in the Ultimate Marvel comics in 2002 (which is why Samuel L Jackson is playing him now), and Thor became a woman almost if not over a decade ago.

I guess the changing social climate -- a climate Bond films have always tried to keep up with -- is too much for you. Bond should still obviously be fighting the Soviet Union now decades after their dissolution.

There's a point where conservativeness just becomes stagnation. Stop trying to stagnate Bond.

While I largely agree with your position, I'd like to point out: conservatives LIKE Russia now. Refusal to stagnate -- or co-opted without even realizing it? You pays your money and you choose: shaken or stirred?

While I largely agree with your position, I'd like to point out: conservatives LIKE Russia now. Refusal to stagnate -- or co-opted without even realizing it? You pays your money and you choose: shaken or stirred?

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs Conservatives don't like Russia
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »

Tell that to Donald Trump.

Doctor Who (now played by a woman)

And look how that turned out:

"Doctor Who ratings plunge after Jodie Whittaker takes over with PC plots"
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7666311/doctor-who-ratings-fall-pc-plots/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Zekidk wrote: »

That’s not true; the ratings went up, by quite a large extent.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    And that’s a Rupert Murdoch sanctioned tabloid, so of course they’re gonna paint anything perceived as PC in a heavily negative light. They’ve been pretty insistent on calling B25 a “disaster”.
  • I'm only going to say this (here) once: anybody judging a film that hasn't been released yet is wrong. B25 could be great, could be terrible, could be just mediocre. I don't know and I'm not going to judge it before I've seen it. What a radical notion!
    I'm only going to say this (here) once: anybody judging a film that hasn't been released yet is wrong. B25 could be great, could be terrible, could be just mediocre. I don't know and I'm not going to judge it before I've seen it. What a radical notion!

And it's a persistent problem. People hear this bit of news, that bit of news, this bit of tabloid gossip, that bit of Entertainment Weekly speculation and they assume they know every goddamn thing there is to know about a movie. "They hired this actress! They're just doing it for the political agenda!" I was unaware the casting sessions for every film these days were done town hall meeting style where anyone could wander in and watch it happen.

Just because you believe something is "pandering" doesn't mean it is. Learn that or shut up.

Tell that to Donald Trump.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs why don't you you seem obsessed with him
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Zekidk wrote: »

That’s not true; the ratings went up, by quite a large extent.
    Just to play devil’s avocado, they went right back down.