Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

One of the funnier videos among all this madness!

OMG this guy nailed it and had me in bits!!!! :)) =))
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Univex wrote: »

I'm sorry but this is just brilliant! Very well done. Can't help but agree with it all.

Still, I'm hoping this is just a media hyperbole and that none of the will translate into the final film. IF it does, IF the final product is a 21st century y-gen pro-metoo hysteria sissy film, I'll be vocal about it. We all will be vocal about it. And they'll make amends for the 26th, like they've always done throughout the years. So, no worries here. Not that many, anyway. Can't really see Daniel Craig being THAT Bond. That emasculated, neutered y-gen man-bun, checkered shirt wearing sissy that now abounds. But, I guess time will tell.

Dicovered this guy 'The Critical Drinker' the other day, and his disections of other movies are just as funny.

His sarcastic, slurred Scottish accent is a joy!

I'm checking his videos out right now. Thank you for this ;)

No problem mate! :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Someone send this to EON, pronto.

Not that I'm sure they need this. But they could have a laugh as well.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,564
    Gee, I thought we'd been asked to leave out the politics on this thread...

Which is, of course, the whole point. You can't honestly discuss a topic like The New Black Female 007 without getting into politics. Sexism and racism are inherently political matters. You can't discuss them without acknowledging what you're discussing.

But here's the thing: since none of us have actually SEEN the film yet, all we're doing is reacting according to our own prejudices. Oh boy, a NewBlackFemale007 or Oh how lame, a NewBlackFemale007. While it's certainly fun to exercise our emotions this way, please allow me to inject a little realism into the discussion: The James Bond franchise makes a whole lot of money for everyone concerned. Those responsible for continuing that franchise simply are not going to do anything to endanger the g00se that continues laying those golden eggs. On the other hand, simply repeating the tropes of the franchise over & over without putting any thought into what makes them work, is an obvious road-map into the sort of creative doldrums that would doom the series in the long run anyway.

The Craig tenure on the character has been quite successful in looking at James Bond 007 with fresh eyes. This is likely going to be Roger's final go-round as James Bond, so it only makes sense to offer the public what many have been clamoring for in the past few years: a black 007. No, a female 007. Oh hell, let's go for broke and combine them. It's a bit of a joke really, only some people take the joke seriously. How dare they take away our James Bond 007???

Well, they aren't. While my crystal ball is an imperfect tool at best, I can assure you: Bond 26 will feature a white male sexist misogynist dinosaur named James Bond with the code number of 007. (To be honest, I never thought of Bond as a misogynist, but you know what I mean...) James Bond will return, and those of you who are freaking out about this particular topic are only showing the rest of the world your own insecurities about the precarious state of White Male Privilege in the modern world. Ooops, there I go getting all political again. Can't have that...

But seriously, folks: There is a female version of Superman and has been for sixty years or so now. She's called Supergirl, and seems to be doing well enough without endangering the very existence of Superman. There have been a couple of Batwomen and several different Batgirls, while Batman still sells lots of comic books and movie tickets. The very concept of Dr. Who sort of requires that there should have been a female Doctor eventually. Anybody should be able to fit into and operate the Iron Man suit--male or female; black, white, or polka-dotted. And don't even get me started about Captain Marvel -- the REAL CM is a young boy who shouts "SHAZAM!" and turns into an adult super-hero. If you can accept that Marvel Comics needs to be the people who own and publish Captain Marvel then you've got no business griping about what form that imaginary entity may take.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Gee, I thought we'd been asked to leave out the politics on this thread...

Which is, of course, the whole point. You can't honestly discuss a topic like The New Black Female 007 without getting into politics. Sexism and racism are inherently political matters. You can't discuss them without acknowledging what you're discussing.

But here's the thing: since none of us have actually SEEN the film yet, all we're doing is reacting according to our own prejudices. Oh boy, a NewBlackFemale007 or Oh how lame, a NewBlackFemale007. While it's certainly fun to exercise our emotions this way, please allow me to inject a little realism into the discussion: The James Bond franchise makes a whole lot of money for everyone concerned. Those responsible for continuing that franchise simply are not going to do anything to endanger the g00se that continues laying those golden eggs. On the other hand, simply repeating the tropes of the franchise over & over without putting any thought into what makes them work, is an obvious road-map into the sort of creative doldrums that would doom the series in the long run anyway.

The Craig tenure on the character has been quite successful in looking at James Bond 007 with fresh eyes. This is likely going to be Roger's final go-round as James Bond, so it only makes sense to offer the public what many have been clamoring for in the past few years: a black 007. No, a female 007. Oh hell, let's go for broke and combine them. It's a bit of a joke really, only some people take the joke seriously. How dare they take away our James Bond 007???

Well, they aren't. While my crystal ball is an imperfect tool at best, I can assure you: Bond 26 will feature a white male sexist misogynist dinosaur named James Bond with the code number of 007. (To be honest, I never thought of Bond as a misogynist, but you know what I mean...) James Bond will return, and those of you who are freaking out about this particular topic are only showing the rest of the world your own insecurities about the precarious state of White Male Privilege in the modern world. Ooops, there I go getting all political again. Can't have that...

But seriously, folks: There is a female version of Superman and has been for sixty years or so now. She's called Supergirl, and seems to be doing well enough without endangering the very existence of Superman. There have been a couple of Batwomen and several different Batgirls, while Batman still sells lots of comic books and movie tickets. The very concept of Dr. Who sort of requires that there should have been a female Doctor eventually. Anybody should be able to fit into and operate the Iron Man suit--male or female; black, white, or polka-dotted. And don't even get me started about Captain Marvel -- the REAL CM is a young boy who shouts "SHAZAM!" and turns into an adult super-hero. If you can accept that Marvel Comics needs to be the people who own and publish Captain Marvel then you've got no business griping about what form that imaginary entity may take.

+1
    Too much common sense.
    (To be honest, I never thought of Bond as a misogynist, but you know what I mean...)

Well he simply isn't. A sexist or a mysogynist is a serious women hater who never get's any pussy (and then pretends that he doesn't want any). James Bond is a bit of a chauvinist at best, and that's why we love him (well i do). That's not gonna disappear. It can't. Though i would be totally ok with Bond marrying in the end of 25, for a one off. Much better ending than killing him.
    And after all the s**t that CraigBond has been through he deserves some peace of mind (not that marriage will bring any, but you get the idea, a nice romantic ending like OP)

Honestly i would be much more worried about the state of affairs if it weren't for two facts:

1. Daniel Craig - That guy brought my favorite characterization of Bond to the screen. Yes he's darker, and contextualized Bond in a way that was never done before, but that also allowed him to make Bond more chauvinistic and forceful than Brosnan or Dalton could have ever gone. All the stuff he got to say to Vesper in CR, unthinkable before.

That guy will not pussy out in his last movie, not a chance in the world. All the progress he's made would have been nil.

2. Seriously WE HAVE BEEN HERE COUNTLESS TIMES.
    TLD, LTK, GE, TWINE, CR, there are so many reactionary Bond films in the past 30 years already. All these films had some PC elements injected into them just to win some ground with the female crowd. And ALL OF THEM kept Bond's chauvinism intact.

TWINE for example was a deliberate push to get more women into the cinemas (as Apdet said on the BTS) Electra had a huge part, M had her biggest part yet, there was a deeper romance, they hired Apted because he was mostly known for strong female characters in his films (Nell, Gorillas in the Mist) that film was all about the females... and in the end? They still had a bimbo Bond girl in hotpants around, and Bond gets to kill the leading lady and throw out a dumb one liner afterwards :D.

If anything i expect B25 to be similar, sure they can have super duper confident independent female characters and whatnot (a Bond trope since 1964) but i want them to double down on Bond doing something messed up again, like the shower scene from SF (totally love that scene), just to piss off the snowflakes, and because it's in line with his character. He doesn't give a f**k. Like when he's trying to undress Moneypenny while she's shaving him.

It's a freaking MOVIE, it's not real life... otherwise it would not be entertaining.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    On the other hand, simply repeating the tropes of the franchise over & over without putting any thought into what makes them work, is an obvious road-map into the sort of creative doldrums that would doom the series in the long run anyway.

About that. ;)
    41737154_10155660733781863_4041520180646379520_n.png

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Murdock wrote: »
    On the other hand, simply repeating the tropes of the franchise over & over without putting any thought into what makes them work, is an obvious road-map into the sort of creative doldrums that would doom the series in the long run anyway.

About that. ;)
    41737154_10155660733781863_4041520180646379520_n.png

I like that picture, but it missed out 'is unable to sit down in boats'.

[img][/img]DanCantSit_zps1d7uqrmv.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    But here's the thing: since none of us have actually SEEN the film yet, all we're doing is reacting according to our own prejudices. Oh boy, a NewBlackFemale007 or Oh how lame, a NewBlackFemale007.

I genuinely find it to be neither: I don't think it's even particularly notable. Bond's job has been taken since he left: that's not a surprising development to me. And him meeting another capable female spy is something we've seen a dozen times in Bond films: that they've put a slight spin on it that there's a woman in his job (rather than, say, Agent XXX's) is such a very slight riff on what we've seen loads of times before just doesn't really feel worth a long debate over. Yep, of course they'd do that: it makes sense.
    That people think it's actually what's happening for the rest of the whole series is baffling to me: how did they deal with Licence To Kill being promoted as a film where Bond resigns from being 007 or, well, every other Bond film where he appears to end the film in a romantic clinch with the girl, suggesting he was going to stay with her forever?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Someone send this to EON, pronto.

Not that I'm sure they need this. But they could have a laugh as well.

Well that's all it's meant to be, a laugh, and a few of you have at least appreciated that this video is just too bloody funny!
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I personally believe the media are the ones hyping this up and blowing it way out of proportion. Yes, Barbara Broccoli may have stated that this will be a "Bond film of the #MeToo-era", but that doesn't have to mean the whole film will be a piece of feminist propaganda. I'm gonna post some PWB quotes here:

But it’s mainly about making them feel like real people, you know? Which they do in the previous films. I think Daniel’s films have had really fantastic Bond girls, so it’s just keeping it up.

There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not [the Bond franchise] is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women,” she said. “I think that’s bollocks. I think he’s absolutely relevant now."

It has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to this character.

I just want to make sure that when they get those pages through, that Lashana [Lynch], Léa [Seydoux] and Ana [de Armas] open them and go: ‘I can’t wait to do that.’ As an actress, I very rarely had that feeling early in my career. That brings me much pleasure, knowing that I’m giving that to an actress.

And while yes we discussed Naomie Harris' interview, where she states:

"We're seeing a real evolution of his character,' she says of the new and improved James Bond. He's now having equal relationships with the female characters and he's emotionally attached, making real connections."

So while you may Naomie has contradicted Phoebe here but she really hasn't, because showing those equal relationships is still true to his character, because he has had equal relationships and has respect for his colleagues and co-workers. Also, equal relationships and respect doesn't mean he's not a womaniser or a player when it comes to the females, if that's what you're worried about missing, because if you didn't know you can have respect for someone and still want to sleep with them? It's pretty normal.

I think the changes their hinting at is just how it's presented, by introducing interesting characters that can still have the same interactions with Bond, but are just not as overly sexualised. For example, the Severine shower-scene which put a lot of people of. That's something that felt odd to a lot of people and I think when Phoebe says "the film treats the women properly", she means that when Bond seduces the Bond girl it feels more realistic, character driven and not like James Bond just randomly wandered into the shower of a former sex worker to have sex with her.

It's tricky but I don't think it's gonna be as bad of a change as you think.
    This post is too good to be lost at the bottom of the previous page.
    But seriously, folks: There is a female version of Superman and has been for sixty years or so now. She's called Supergirl, and seems to be doing well enough without endangering the very existence of Superman. There have been a couple of Batwomen and several different Batgirls, while Batman still sells lots of comic books and movie tickets.

Fine. Then EoN make a standalone BlackFemale007 movie, not screw Bond 25.
  • Sani wrote: »
    But seriously, folks: There is a female version of Superman and has been for sixty years or so now. She's called Supergirl, and seems to be doing well enough without endangering the very existence of Superman. There have been a couple of Batwomen and several different Batgirls, while Batman still sells lots of comic books and movie tickets.

Fine. Then EoN make a standalone BlackFemale007 movie, not screw Bond 25.

How do you know that they're going to "screw" Bond 25 before the movie has even been released? Some of us like to actually, y'know, WATCH a film before we try to critique it...
    How do you know that they're going to "screw" Bond 25 before the movie has even been released? Some of us like to actually, y'know, WATCH a film before we try to critique it...

It's not about whether the movie will be weak or not.
    And I'm not gonna watch it because I don't want.

And nobody's going to try to force you. Nor will many of us listen to you when you tell us how terrible it is...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Sani wrote: »

Then why complain?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Why is it that there's always one person yelling at a cloud like Grandpa Simpson in this thread?
  • Why is it that there's always one person yelling at a cloud like Grandpa Simpson in this thread?

Hey, I resemble that remark!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    What happened with Men in Black?

@mtm The new one where they called it men in black and it was a women and man I heard it was a bad flop. Apparently her name is Tessa Thompson. If they were going to do what they did they should have made it a spin off what they did was silly.

That makes no sense as there have already been women agents in the previous films, why would it be an issue now?

Well I guess you could be right I'm not familiar with men in black but from a general audience perspective it definitely seems gimmicky. @MakeshiftPython

So you believe audiences can’t handle female heroes?

Audiences can if the movie is good. Like the entire Aliens franchise with Weaver, Terminator with Sarah Conner in the lead, the Resident Evil movies (which are the highest grossing video game films of ALL TIME), etc. Atomic Blonde is a gnarly action film with a female spy that totally owned.

See, this has nothing to do with veiled sexism or men feeling threatened. I love all the films I mentioned, plus many more, that have females kicking butt. The problem I have with this 007 nonsense is that it's rooted in PC culture and the fact EON is only making this choice to cover themselves in this modern world of over sensitivity and the me too movement.

They are scared to death of bad press of Bond's supposed chauvinist past so they are making sure they score points with the outrage crowd.

And yet...
  • "...the fact Eon is only making this choice..." "They are scared to death of....so they are making sure..." @Reaper, it seems to me that you are forming an opinion (which you are certainly entitled to hold) and conflating it into a fact (which you are not entitled to do.) If you were to re-state this opinion as "I believe" or "it seems to me" then I'd have no problem with your posting... but as you've currently phrased the matter, I believe you're just another part of the "outrage crowd" you find so objectionable.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    “She wants to be your James Bond. Well it’s not for a price, and it’s not to be nice. She wants to be your James Bond,”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/listen-to-james-bond-the-new-single-from-iggy-pop-2533519#kQ63UG6xhAURIXJv.99

:)

"...the fact Eon is only making this choice..." "They are scared to death of....so they are making sure..." @Reaper, it seems to me that you are forming an opinion (which you are certainly entitled to hold) and conflating it into a fact (which you are not entitled to do.) If you were to re-state this opinion as "I believe" or "it seems to me" then I'd have no problem with your posting... but as you've currently phrased the matter, I believe you're just another part of the "outrage crowd" you find so objectionable.

That's the irony about the whole thing isn't it? All those people freaking out that oversensitive outraged feminists are taking their stuff away are... oversensitive and outraged, based on no evidence at all.

Eon doesn't even get to defend themselves, no trial, no hearing... Let's just go straight to execution... "Burn the witch!"
    Because i read a 'headline'. From a tabloid. With no connection to the production whatsover.

I also love the Argument:
    "Everyone is doing it right now! I'm sure they are doing it too!"
    I'm not a lawyer but i don't think that's how this works :))
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 71
    And nobody's going to try to force you. Nor will many of us listen to you when you tell us how terrible it is...

I think that's okay.
    Why is it that there's always one person yelling at a cloud like Grandpa Simpson in this thread?

Because it's a forum and opinions are different. So there are here Grandpa and Lisa Simpsons. :) And I'm afraid James Bond is Apu.
    Then why complain?

Because I waited 4 years for this movie like you.
    Unnecessarily.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Because it's a forum and opinions are different. So there are here Grandpa and Lisa Simpsons. :) And I'm afraid James Bond is Apu.

I'm aware of what this is and what happens here, but that was not my point.

Surely your time would be better spent talking about the films you will be watching. rather than clogging up an interesting thread relevant to a film the rest of us will be watching?

I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion (and conversely, everyone's entitled to call out that opinion out as bullshit) but repeating the same thing ad nauseam doesn't really endear you to anyone or enhance the discussion in any way. Forums are for discussion. There are plenty of threads on here for you to make a positive contribution to.

You're quite wrong here. In the Springfield Universe, 007's name is Simpson...BART Simpson. As shown in at least one issue of Simpson Comics, sorry I don't remember the precise issue number.

Because I waited 4 years for this movie like you.
    Unnecessarily.

Sorry to have to be the one to explain this to you, but fan entitlement is not a real thing. No one OWES YOU any specific kind of Bond movie. Eon's going to do the best they can to satisfy as large an audience as possible. If you don't like what they offer this time around that's just too bad. Oh well. Can't win 'em all.
    You're quite wrong here. In the Springfield Universe, 007's name is Simpson...BART Simpson. As shown in at least one issue of Simpson Comics, sorry I don't remember the precise issue number.

I wish I could think that way now, but for me Bond 25 is like the "No Good Read Goes Unpunished" episode.
    Sorry to have to be the one to explain this to you, but fan entitlement is not a real thing.

You don't have to explain, I've fought these "battles" for a very long time on Star Wars forums. Just I was you then. :D
    Eon's going to do the best they can to satisfy as large an audience as possible.

I'm not sure this will work now. Many people are outraged.
    And it could even be a box-office bomb. Chances are low for this, but not impossible.
    Apparently we are fighting against windmills here, but for all the sane people out there,
    what more do you need than having Lea and Ana confirm to you that the film will have 'sex' and 'sexiness everywhere'? (don't wait to hear that on a marvel press junket anytime soon)

Personally i don't need much else.
    3:40
    Many people are outraged.

Oh, horsefeathers.

"Many people are outraged"??? Just like Faux News will tell you, "some people are saying..." This is vague and misleading phrasing, intended to impress the careless viewer with an immeasurable amount of public opinion that more than likely is just pulled out of the pundit's nether regions.

I'll see your immeasurable public opinion and raise you: "Many, many people are looking forward to seeing this bold new casting choice on the screen." There, my unquantifiable number of ticket buyers is double yours. Come on, man, we're all smarter than this...
    "Many people are outraged"??? Just like Faux News will tell you, "some people are saying..." This is vague and misleading phrasing, intended to impress the careless viewer with an immeasurable amount of public opinion that more than likely is just pulled out of the pundit's nether regions.

I'll see your immeasurable public opinion and raise you: "Many, many people are looking forward to seeing this bold new casting choice on the screen." There, my unquantifiable number of ticket buyers is double yours. Come on, man, we're all smarter than this...

Ok, then all people are waiting for this, except me. And I have a lot of profiles on youtube, facebook, twitter.
    No, I'm not saying that EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD thinks any one way. I'm just trying to be realistic about a topic that some people -- including you -- are being all blown out of shape about. If you don't like the coming movie, don't worry: James Bond 007 will return. And he'll still be a white guy who likes his martinis shaken not stirred, and the expense account for his wardrobe mysteriously unexamined by the bean counters at MI-6. And in the meanwhile, you might try to keep an open mind about a movie that hasn't even finished filming yet. Miracles HAVE been known to happen in the editing process.