Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

Naomie Harris, Bond ambassador extraordinaire! :x
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    To all those who are positive this was done for diversity and political correctness, I ask you this: What was the casting process like? You must have been heavily involved if you know exactly why these decisions were made.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    00Agent wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    What happened with Men in Black?

@mtm The new one where they called it men in black and it was a women and man I heard it was a bad flop. Apparently her name is Tessa Thompson. If they were going to do what they did they should have made it a spin off what they did was silly.

That makes no sense as there have already been women agents in the previous films, why would it be an issue now?

Well I guess you could be right I'm not familiar with men in black but from a general audience perspective it definitely seems gimmicky. @MakeshiftPython

So you believe audiences can’t handle female heroes?

Audiences can if the movie is good. Like the entire Aliens franchise with Weaver, Terminator with Sarah Conner in the lead, the Resident Evil movies (which are the highest grossing video game films of ALL TIME), etc. Atomic Blonde is a gnarly action film with a female spy that totally owned.

See, this has nothing to do with veiled sexism or men feeling threatened. I love all the films I mentioned, plus many more, that have females kicking butt. The problem I have with this 007 nonsense is that it's rooted in PC culture and the fact EON is only making this choice to cover themselves in this modern world of over sensitivity and the me too movement.

They are scared to death of bad press of Bond's supposed chauvinist past so they are making sure they score points with the outrage crowd.

Say hi to Barbara from me, you must have been hanging out a lot with her lately.

Half the frigging movies in the series are some reaction to the puplic's opinion on Bond's supposed sexism (sometimes they pussied out (TLD) and sometimes they doubled down (GE) and trust me, Craig will not pussy out for sure). The only stupidity is to think that this one will be worse or different, or that it will "demasculine" Bond or take the focus away from him.
    Female characters and Bond's interaction with them is one of the most integral part of this franchise, it's amazing to me that so many supposed "fans" on here don't even get that.

Yes, it's true, women have become more prominent in movies, becaue the viewership among women has been rising exponentially, which is also true for gaming and all other areas of geek culture, i guess you can thank the internet for that. But that doesn't mean Nomi will get more screen time than any other Bond girl (she sure won't have as much screen time as Vesper, nowhere close i would say) or that a woman in a Bond film will ever have more power than Bond (that privileg will always belong to Judi Dench).

There is just one thing people need to understand, women like Bond just the way he is, they don't won't him to change either.

Based on the evidence we have seen, combined with the outrageously charged political climate of today, it's naive and foolish to think it won't be worse than many of us fear. Marvel just announced a heavily PC and "diverse" line-up for their Phase 4 so that's where the world of cinema is headed. Bond will be no different.

It's naive to think that EoN doesn't know that there will be no female or feminist crowd coming to the rescue and buying all their products if they scare of their male audience.

I get it, people don't trust EoN, they are an evil, greedy faceless corporation lol (but those same people would be totally fine giving the licence to disney... ugh... yeah, whatever.)

So just trust in the almighty power of the dollar, and that EoN likes making money, because a female centric movies dosen't make any, especially not the revisionist kind like ghostbusters or oceans eight. People want authenticity and consistency.
    Wonder woman is like the only franchise with a female lead that worked because it stayed true to the character, Captain Marvel on the other hand was just smart marketing, otherwise that film would not have made half the money it did.

@00Agent I don't think they are faceless and greedy and evil but I'm sure people think that after this move but it's like what they supposed to do they put themselves in a corner with Spectre and bringing Daniel back.

That was an attempt at sarcasm ;) hence the "lol"
    I have nothing but respect for EoN, Barbara and Michael. This is not just a job for them, this is their life, their family legacy. But most people don't see that or care and i have to accept that.

Oh ok I didn't catch that lol @00Agent
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Naomie Harris is fantastic.
    Excellent response by Naomie Harris. Casting her as Moneypenny was brilliant!
    Excellent response by Naomie Harris. Casting her as Moneypenny was brilliant!

Yes

I'm not surprised
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Look at the Bond Instagram page proof that nothing is changing never seen them post a love scene on any social media page and it's from the Daniel era
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I'm not surprised

It only happened in the comics a good amount of time ago.

I'm not surprised

It only happened in the comics a good amount of time ago.

I'm not really familiar with comics but I'm not surprised it's a Hollywood trend whether you hate it or love it

So..umm...bald Ana De Armas maybe? Or is this a standard make-up process?

Black female 007, what an original idea!
    007 being a woman isn’t necessarily as big of a deal as other character changes, because 007 is the codename, while James Bond will still be the focus and still a white man as Fleming created. Bond is still overall seeing the least changes compared to many others.
    Chris Hemsworth will be in it though:

FoxRox wrote: »
    while James Bond will still be the focus

It's not certain yet, but it's likely.
    and still a white man as Fleming created

Fleming created not just a white man but James Bond as 007.
    Sani wrote: »

Yeah it's just one film though it's not going to be the future of the franchise
    007 being a woman isn’t necessarily as big of a deal as other character changes, because 007 is the codename, while James Bond will still be the focus and still a white man as Fleming created. Bond is still overall seeing the least changes compared to many others.

@FoxRox I see it as a win win they get what they want we get we want EON is a family business to them if they didn't care about the characters future they would have sold the franchise by now
    I see it as a win win they get what they want we get we want EON is a family business to them if they didn't care about the characters future they would have sold the franchise by now

Only I don't feel the victory position... :-S
    Not much happening this week then. Wonder what the new week will bring?
    Hopefully not another quiet week. We may have to wait until August for more significant news though.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Hey @Sani, Ian Fleming also wrote about M re-assigning James Bond to the diplomatic branch and re-numbering him 7777. I don't think this was a promotion, lol, since Bond had been drinking heavily and making mistakes ever since Tracy's death... M was ready to fire him...

peter wrote: »

Hey @Sani, Ian Fleming also wrote about M re-assigning James Bond to the diplomatic branch and re-numbering him 7777. I don't think this was a promotion, lol, since Bond had been drinking heavily and making mistakes ever since Tracy's death... M was ready to fire him...

@peter yeah I just wonder as a brand and logo to people who are general audience members who know nothing about Fleming I'm sure they have to take this into consideration but I'm not the marketing team it will be very interesting to see how they pull it off if they do do this.
    I see it as a win win they get what they want we get we want EON is a family business to them if they didn't care about the characters future they would have sold the franchise by now

Only I don't feel the victory position... :-S

@Sani the victory is we get the future which is starting over new Bond different continuity. If Spectre wasn't botched so bad we would have a new Bond with this one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

@peter yeah I just wonder as a brand and logo to people who are general audience members who know nothing about Fleming I'm sure they have to take this into consideration but I'm not the marketing team it will be very interesting to see how they pull it off if they do do this.

Bond gave his resignation to M and it was accepted in Licence To Kill, 30 years ago. Plenty of people managed to understand that the 007 logo all over the posters of the film were the branding of the film, despite, I'm sorry to tell you, James Bond not being 007 for the majority of that movie :)
    we get the future

Than Tracy Bond :(

Bond gave his resignation to M and it was accepted in Licence To Kill, 30 years ago. Plenty of people managed to understand that the 007 logo all over the posters of the film were the branding of the film, despite, I'm sorry to tell you, James Bond not being 007 for the majority of that movie :)

@mtm yeah but nobody took his license It was the least successful Bond film though 😉 hey if they can convince movie going public tip to the hat.
    we get the future

Than Tracy Bond :(

?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

@mtm yeah but nobody took his license It was the least successful Bond film though 😉 hey if they can convince movie going public tip to the hat.

I thought your issue was the 7777 thing being hard to publicise?
    And you think LTK didn’t do as well as the other ones because he wasn’t 007? Really?

I thought your issue was the 7777 thing being hard to publicise?
    And you think LTK didn’t do as well as the other ones because he wasn’t 007? Really?

@mtm no it would be a nice easter egg 7777. No I know I was just poking fun i don't think that was the reason or at least the only reason it was the tone of the film. it is ironic though. ;)