No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder if we will see Bond smoke that cigar in Jamaica or whether that was just smoking off set?

If I remember correctly, Craig quit smoking in order to prepare for the role in CR, so he's not a recreational smoker himself. So my instinct says that was for the film.

But nowadays the censors can be fairly harsh on smoking in films, so I'm wondering if it might be toned down or even cut.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Lotus Chase in TSWLM
    Citroen Chase in FYEO
    Aston chase in TLD
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder if we will see Bond smoke that cigar in Jamaica or whether that was just smoking off set?

If I remember correctly, Craig quit smoking in order to prepare for the role in CR, so he's not a recreational smoker himself. So my instinct says that was for the film.

But nowadays the censors can be fairly harsh on smoking in films, so I'm wondering if it might be toned down or even cut.

Severine smoked on screen in Skyfall, so it shouldnt be too bigger deal.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2019 Posts: 14,951
    Yeah he had a cigar in DAD and it wasn’t mentioned in any bad press that I saw. A cigar is fine I’d say, but I have no issue at all with him not smoking cigarettes. As you mentioned Mallory, Severine smoked in SF and it actually worked to make her seem weaker and more nervous. Not only do I think Bond shouldn’t smoke cigarettes, but I think it wouldn’t actually work for the character any more: it no longer looks cool like it did in the 60s- it looks desperate. Cigars on the other hand are different: they’re more of an occasional luxury choice. Kind of the difference between drinking a can of Strongbow in the park and sipping Bollinger
    :D
    In the books Bond never trusted anyone who ever smoked cigars. So much for the Fleming influence.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t recall that at all, but he also thought homosexuals couldn’t whistle. Sometimes fidelity to the books doesn’t seem too essential.
    ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    What does it means if one can whistle, but whistles badly and it takes some effort?

A bad lover, no matter the sexuality.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677
    peter wrote: »
    What does it means if one can whistle, but whistles badly and it takes some effort?

ahahah, well done.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Very sharp, @peter

Very sharp, @peter

But do they smoke cigars?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    delfloria wrote: »

Very sharp, @peter

Yes. All of them. But only after the act. And it’s in smug self satisfaction....
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,554
    mtm wrote: »
    I don’t recall that at all, but he also thought homosexuals couldn’t whistle. Sometimes fidelity to the books doesn’t seem too essential.
    ;)

There might be a connection between the cigars thing and the whistling thing? ;)
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah he had a cigar in DAD and it wasn’t mentioned in any bad press that I saw. A cigar is fine I’d say, but I have no issue at all with him not smoking cigarettes. As you mentioned Mallory, Severine smoked in SF and it actually worked to make her seem weaker and more nervous. Not only do I think Bond shouldn’t smoke cigarettes, but I think it wouldn’t actually work for the character any more: it no longer looks cool like it did in the 60s- it looks desperate. Cigars on the other hand are different: they’re more of an occasional luxury choice. Kind of the difference between drinking a can of Strongbow in the park and sipping Bollinger
    :D

Craig mentioned this several years ago: no more smoking for Bond. As it turned out, Craig also quit, about the time he finished QoS, I believe.

Very sharp, @peter

Yes. All of them. But only after the act. And it’s in smug self satisfaction....

Your wife would not be a fan of cigars except on on the odd anniversary, in that case @peter ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Let's face it, whistling like Lauren Bacall tells Bogie is all that really matters. ;)

One thing is for certain, one who whistles while smoking a cigar is somewhat of a freak of nature, a true Darwinian champion.

:-D

Happy new year folks. Let it be a true Bond year.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Very sharp, @peter

Your wife would not be a fan of cigars except on on the odd anniversary, in that case @peter ;)

=))

Very sharp, @peter

=))

Happy New Year, @peter :)

And a Happy New Year to everyone else. Here's to a good Bond year!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Happy New Year to you too! And to all we James Bond fans!!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan to Present at the Golden Globes
    https://jamesbondaustralia.com/2020/01/03/daniel-craig-and-pierce-brosnan-to-present-at-the-golden-globes/

Also announced as presenters are Ana de Armas and Rami Malek.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thanks, antovolk. What's the bet there's a bird field guide in one of those book stacks?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan to Present at the Golden Globes
    https://jamesbondaustralia.com/2020/01/03/daniel-craig-and-pierce-brosnan-to-present-at-the-golden-globes/

Also announced as presenters are Ana de Armas and Rami Malek.

Happy New Year @Red_Snow..

Just tweeted out this info with a link to the site. Expect traffic from some of my followers ;)
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    New stills posted by a camera crew member

9ZrD0XA.jpg
    7MsriY6.jpg
    KtTEVGR.jpg
    cxZXJcR.jpg
    17HFL2H.jpg
    tjXjjG8.jpg
    vDf6r68.jpg
    RFRxaap.jpg
    K79QCYA.jpg
    lX1wnVy.jpg
    D8dF44E.jpg
    LJ53guV.jpg
    J49ymrU.jpg
    y9Nc2Xs.jpg
    v7KmVuG.jpg
    MuG3rdN.jpg
  • I will naturally never know this for sure, and I realize we often believe what we're meant to believe, but it really seems like NTTD was a fun film to have worked on. All along, I've had the impression that Cary created an enjoyable and collaborative environment that made people enthusiastic to be a part of. If this is true, I hope it reflects in the final product.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I believe it will. Everyone had a blast making DAD, and that reflected in the final product.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Thanks! @Contraband
    b9ca8cf9-afea-4c53-9403-695b78274e25-No_Time_to_Die.jpg
    "Bond isn’t programmed for a tranquil life in retirement. The need for action runs deep," says director Cary Joji Fukunaga. Rami Malek brings "depth, intelligence and a spine-shivering stillness" as the newest new Bond villain Safin, and Lashana Lynch is a "young, athletically precise and ambitious" double-0 agent named Nomi. While a rivalry exists between her and Bond, "we see their relationship become closer, and come to understand how new generations respect but also need to outdo their predecessors."
    https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2754571001?__twitter_impression=true
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You look at that photo and think... they should definitely be shooting him there! :)

• antovolk wrote: »
    "Bond isn’t programmed for a tranquil life in retirement. The need for action runs deep," says director Cary Joji Fukunaga. Rami Malek brings "depth, intelligence and a spine-shivering stillness" as the newest new Bond villain Safin, and Lashana Lynch is a "young, athletically precise and ambitious" double-0 agent named Nomi. While a rivalry exists between her and Bond, "we see their relationship become closer, and come to understand how new generations respect but also need to outdo their predecessors."

Must confess, I always get excited when I see @antovolk has posted....

Also sounds like CJF is describing 'accidie'

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accidie

If you know, you know.......
    antovolk wrote: »
    "and come to understand how new generations respect but also need to outdo their predecessors."
    That sounds a bit un-intelligent. How about learning from those with more experience, in order to be the best they can? What reason is there supposed to be to outdo any predecessor? If it has to be like this it should at least say, 'repect their predecessors and struggle with their own up-and-comer ego.'