Translations Royale

124»

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Well that's alway better then 'who is your floor?' in DAF. A Dutchman speaking terrible English would have said 'What is your floor' or 'which is your floor'.
    I thought that at the end of the "Cunning Linguist" thread two years ago, we had come to the conclusion that Bond was trying to impersonate a German in Amsterdam in that scene, not a Dutch person (not that a German knowing the basics of English would ask "Who is your floor?", but nevetheless). But since Franks is his counterpart in that exchange, Bond is certainly not trying to impersonate Franks himself.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Well that's alway better then 'who is your floor?' in DAF. A Dutchman speaking terrible English would have said 'What is your floor' or 'which is your floor'.

Funny how this goes though. When watching the Hitman's Bodyguard the Russian isn't subtitled and sounded genuine to me, but my wife who's fluend in Russian cringed at the bad pronunciation.

I wonder how good the Korean is in DAD…
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I thought that at the end of the "Cunning Linguist" thread two years ago, we had come to the conclusion that Bond was trying to impersonate a German in Amsterdam in that scene, not a Dutch person (not that a German knowing the basics of English would ask "Who is your floor?", but nevetheless). But since Franks is his counterpart in that exchange, Bond is certainly not trying to impersonate Franks himself.

true, we did, allthough I forgot the reasoning behind it. Still don't like the line though. I don't really like the whole sequence in Amsterdam, except for the 'nice little nothing you're almost wearing' line. And Wint and Kidd.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343
    That's the translation of the priest's eulogy during Sciarra's funeral in Rome in SP.

"[...] segno di speranza nella resurrezione. O Dio, nella tua misericordia trovano riposo le anime dei fedeli. Benedici questa tomba e affidala alla custodia del tuo angelo santo. Concedi che mentre il corpo di Marco Sciarra viene qui sepolto, l'anima, libera da vincoli di peccato, intessi a lieti di gioia perenne insieme ai tuoi santi e trovi la quiete del riposo. Nel momento del tuo giudizio, possa risorgere con i beati. Per Cristo nostro Signore, amen."

"[...] sign of hope in the resurrection. O God, in your mercy let the souls of the faithful find rest. Bless this tomb and entrust it to the custody of your holy angel. Concede that while the body of Marco Sciarra is buried here, the soul, free from the bonds of sin, weaves with perennial joy together with your saints and finds the quiet of the rest. To resurrect with the blessed, at the moment of your judgement. For Christ our Lord, amen."
    I'd like to know what the Italian woman says on the stairs in QoS.

Edit: I should like to ask if swearing is allowed on here. Like the full word?

You mean the old woman during Siena's chase?

She says "Oh mamma mia che ho fatto" which means "Oh Gosh what have I done".
    And I would really like to know what the old italian guy says when Jaws's car crashes in the roof of his house.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Gerard wrote: »
    And I would really like to know what the old italian guy says when Jaws's car crashes in the roof of his house.

I'm not Italian, but I'm pretty sure it's this:

Mamma mia, che è successo? O, Dio, tutto distrutto!

Mamma mia, what's happened? Oh, God, everything's destroyed!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited February 2019 Posts: 6,786
    That is correct @Superintendent!

Also, my compliments on the eulogy @matt_u! Very precise. Nice to meet another person who I presume is also fond of Italy, its rich culture and its beautiful language!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Request: a list of all 26 Bond film titles in Japanese kanji characters. (Titles used, not literal translations.)

Easy for the right person and resources. Difficult for me to piece together and confirm. ありがとうございました.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    That is correct @Superintendent!

Also, my compliments on the eulogy @matt_u! Very precise. Nice to meet another person who I presume is also fond of Italy, its rich culture and its beautiful language!

Thanks for the kind words @GoldenGun! Actually I'm italian so I'm definitely very fond! ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Just do get this back up on top, do we find any more foreign-language lines or shall we have to wait for Bond 25? And thanks again to @PropertyOfALady for updating the master list.
    Add a mixed bag to AVTAK:

Et voici maintenant the fabulous Dominique and the enchanted papillons.
    And now here are ...bla bla... butterflies.
    PS: You weren't aware that my expertise extended to lepidoptery, were you?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Perhaps not a dialogue translation, but for 11 years now I've wanted to know what song is playing in the bar when Bond and Felix meet in QoS.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    PS: You weren't aware that my expertise extended to lepidoptery, were you?

I wasn't, no.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Not sure if mentioned here and not a translation per se, but I was told the Russian captain in Archangel (the one busy in the bathroom) at the beginning of GoldenEye is reading the sports section of Pravda.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Not sure if mentioned here and not a translation per se, but I was told the Russian captain in Archangel (the one busy in the bathroom) at the beginning of GoldenEye is reading the sports section of Pravda.

It's from February 1995 and you can read interesting things. I think you can understand this, @NS_writings ;)

fiAcZFa.jpg

I wrote an article about James Bond and football in Archivo 007 Magazine. It is commented here: http://www.archivo007.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8424&hilit=futbol&start=90
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    ggl007 wrote: »

It's from February 1995 and you can read interesting things. I think you can understand this, @NS_writings ;)

fiAcZFa.jpg

I wrote an article about James Bond and football in Archivo 007 Magazine. It is commented here: http://www.archivo007.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8424&hilit=futbol&start=90

Thank you! Very interesting article
    I took Spanish in highschool so I can make out a few phrases, but not much else.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 2,896
    Attention Spanish speakers!

Do you recognize the word "capungo"?

The excellent website Fleming's Bond has recently published a short article on it.

As Fleming fans know, the word is used in the first chapter of Goldfinger:
    And yet there had been something curiously impressive about the death of the Mexican. It wasn’t that he hadn’t deserved to die. He was an evil man, a man they call in Mexico a capungo. A capungo is a bandit who will kill for as little as forty pesos, which is about twenty-five shillings—though probably he had been paid more to attempt the killing of Bond—and, from the look of him, he had been an instrument of pain and misery all his life.

The author at Fleming's Bond has tried searching for this word elsewhere but only found the Portuguese term “Capiango” (a “bad person who steals with dexterity”).

Did Fleming get his languages mixed up? If you speak Spanish and are familiar with the word "capungo," you can solve this mystery!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 13,929
    Used to think it was Alf Joint's character's name, but I read somewhere ages ago that it literally means 'henchman'.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Hi, @Revelator Greetings from Spain ;)

"Capungo" does not exist in Spanish. "Capanga" is used in Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay to name a foreman, who can behave violently (sic). Probably Fleming heard the word and tried to write it... not knowing Spanish as it can be proven in other novels.

We talk about that word (and much more!) in this book: www.007conexion.es

portada_libro.jpg

Yes, one of the authors is yours truly. And it covers NTTD!
    Many thanks @ggl007 -- this was very helpful. Congratulations on your book, it makes me wish I knew Spanish!
    I like that DB5. You don't see DB5s with foglights too much.