• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I added some gambling scenes just now.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2018 Posts: 6,784
    @PropertyOfALady
    QOS, when the old lady drops that box during the Siena chase:

“O mamma mia, che ho fatto?”

“Oh my goodness (literally: “Oh my mother”), what have I done?”

Also, in FYEO, ‘pazzo’ means more ‘crazy man’ than ‘fool’ in this context.

In OHMSS when Manuel refers to Tracy he would say “Que bella” and not “Che bella”, if he’s supposed to be speaking Spanish. But, I always thought Bond was in Portugal in that scene?

I’ll be back for more later on.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    @PropertyOfALady

In OHMSS when Manuel refers to Tracy he would say “Que bella” and not “Che bella”, if he’s supposed to be speaking Spanish. But, I always thought Bond was in Portugal in that scene?

He is indeed GG.
    Sorry, gents. I'll fix it soon.
    Well, in portuguese its “Que bela” as well. Just with one “l”.
    Sorry, gents. I'll fix it soon.

No worries! I love this thread already!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yep, me too. petty there isn't much Dutch in any of the films, and I'm still only starting to learn Russian.
    Thinking of which, perhaps it's interesting too to translate obvious signs in other-then-English languages we can see in the films too.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @PropertyOfALady

I can confirm that about QoS. Also, I agree, 'crazy man' is a better term in this case.
    Done.
    Thanks @Walecs, are you Italian or have you learned the language out of passion?

LALD:

(M rings the bell)
    Miss Caruso: “One more time again. Ma non è possibile, amore

But that’s impossible, my love.
    (Never quite understood why she says that, maybe referring to Bond hearing someone knocking on the door.)

(...)

Bond: “Moneypenny, thank you.”
    Moneypenny: “Bye James. Or should I say: ciao bello.”

Bye, handsome.

(Bond opens the closet)

Bond: “Siamo soli.”
    Miss Caruso: ”Finalmente.”

”We are alone.”
    “At last.”
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    LALD:

(M rings the bell)
    Miss Caruso: “One more time again. Ma non è possibile, amore

But that’s impossible, my love.
    (Never quite understood why she says that, maybe referring to Bond hearing someone knocking on the door)

The “one more time again” is actually a question. She means “you want more sex?!”. The “but that’s impossible” refers to the fact that James has tired her out and she couldn’t possibly have more sex.

Well Roger was the “lover Bond”
    ;-)
    Soon I’ll try to translate some of the German in OHMSS.

One thing already crossed my mind.

(Blofeld’s phone rings)
    Der Engländer ist verschwunden.

The Englishman is gone.”
    Oh cool! I have always wondered about that German..
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    As Mollaka is running through the building site, when he drops down a level inside the building one of the workmen shouts "Qu'est ce-que vous fait?!" (What are you doing?!), matching the French of the guy later on with his "Laissez tombe".

The fictional country of Nambutu is obviously French speaking...
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,539
    Let's go with the Spanish, amigos

FYEO: When Bond is running away from Lopes' pool, his minions say in Cuban-Spanish (strong accent): "Vamos, rápido" and again "Vamos, rápido, que no se puede escapar". Then: "Lo tenemos ahora, cógelo"

"Come on, quickly" "Come on, quickly, he can't escape" "We got him now, take him"

During the chase on foot: "¡Por aquí!" "¡Por allí!"; finding Melina's victim: "¡No importa, sigue, sigue!"

"This way!" "That way!" "It doesn't matter, go on!"

When they are "opening" the Lotus we hear: "Detenedlo, está allí, a la izquierda"
    "Stop him. He's there, on the left"

When the "Madrid" bus is stopped: "¿Qué pasa?" "What's happening?"

OP: Through the speakers just after the gunbarrel and again with strong Cuban accent: "Su caballo ha sido el favorito en las más importantes competiciones. Don Piquillo tiene cinco años, tal y como dije, tiene muchas medallas ganadas en competiciones. Alvarado sufrió una caída el año pasado en las competiciones de Río de Janeiro, lo que no le permitió saltar para algunos meses. Pero, con todo esto, él sigue siendo el mejor..."

"His horse has been the favorite in the most important competitions. Don Piquillo is five years old, as I said, it has many medals won in competitions. Alvarado suffered a fall last year in competitions in Rio de Janeiro, which did not allow him to jump for a few months. But, with all this, he is still the best..."

When Bond enters the base: "Escuadrón, atención, al trote" "Apunten al objetivo"
    "Squad, attention, trot" "Aim the target"

Greeting a soldier: "Coronel" "Continúa" "Colonel" "Continue..."

Captured: "Interrogación" "Sí, coronel. Métanlo al camión"
    "Interrogation" "Yes, colonel. Put him on the truck"

On the truck: "Gracias, querida" "Thank you, darling"

A soldier through a mic: "¡El inglés se escapó!" "The English escaped!"
    Then: "Apunten, fuego" "Aim, fire" "¡Cierren la puerta!" "Close the door!"

TWINE: After the shooting in the Bilbao pts, in the stairs: "Señor Lachaise, ¿está usted bien?" "Mr. Lachaise, are you all right?"

Knocking at the door: "¿Qué está pasando? Creo que son dos hombres. Se han oído disparos y una explosión. ¡Abran la puerta! ¡En el piso de arriba! ¡Policía! ¡Abran la puerta!" Entering: "¡Quieto ahí! ¡Levante las manos!"

"What's happening? I think there are two men. We've heard shots and an explosion. Open the door! It's upstairs! Police! Open the door!" "Stop you there! Raise your hands!"

LTK and QOS have lots of Spanish lines so asked for something concrete...
    I'll add just this one from Craig: "Hola. Somos maestros en año sabático... y nos ganamos la lotería" (American Spanish again. In Spain we'd say "nos tocó la lotería").

"Hello. We are teachers in sabbatical year ... and we won the lottery!"
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2018 Posts: 6,722
    ggl007 wrote: »
    OP: Through the speakers just after the gunbarrel and again with strong Cuban accent: "Su caballo ha sido el favorito en las más importantes competiciones. Don Piquillo tiene cinco años, tal y como dije, tiene muchas medallas ganadas en competiciones. Alvarado sufrió una caída el año pasado en las competiciones de Río de Janeiro, lo que no le permitió saltar para algunos meses. Pero, con todo esto, él sigue siendo el mejor..."

Nice to get a full translation! I always picked up on what was being said at "Alvarado sufrió una caída..."

I did notice on a recent watch of OP that, as you wrote, the voice on the speakers says "saltar para algunos meses", which is likely an incorrect translation from English ("jump for a few months", with the for translated as para instead of por). I think it's possible that whoever translated/read the lines didn't point it out and/or correct it because Spanish wasn't their first language, or they just didn't think of speaking up about it.
    Let's go with the Spanish, amigos

FYEO: When Bond is running away from Lopes' pool, his minions say in Cuban-Spanish (strong accent): "Vamos, rápido" and again "Vamos, rápido, que no se puede escapar". Then: "Lo tenemos ahora, cógelo"

"Come on, quickly" "Come on, quickly, he can't escape" "We got him now, take him"

During the chase on foot: "¡Por aquí!" "¡Por allí!"; finding Melina's victim: "¡No importa, sigue, sigue!"

"This way!" "That way!" "It doesn't matter, go on!"

When they are "opening" the Lotus we hear: "Detenedlo, está allí, a la izquierda"
    "Stop him. He's there, on the left"

When the "Madrid" bus is stopped: "¿Qué pasa?" "What's happening?"

"His horse has been the favorite in the most important competitions. Don Piquillo is five years old, as I said, it has many medals won in competitions. Alvarado suffered a fall last year in competitions in Rio de Janeiro, which did not allow him to jump for a few months. But, with all this, he is still the best..."

When Bond enters the base: "Escuadrón, atención, al trote" "Apunten al objetivo"
    "Squad, attention, trot" "Aim the target"

Greeting a soldier: "Coronel" "Continúa" "Colonel" "Continue..."

Captured: "Interrogación" "Sí, coronel. Métanlo al camión"
    "Interrogation" "Yes, colonel. Put him on the truck"

On the truck: "Gracias, querida" "Thank you, darling"

A soldier through a mic: "¡El inglés se escapó!" "The English escaped!"
    Then: "Apunten, fuego" "Aim, fire" "¡Cierren la puerta!" "Close the door!"

TWINE: After the shooting in the Bilbao pts, in the stairs: "Señor Lachaise, ¿está usted bien?" "Mr. Lachaise, are you all right?"

Knocking at the door: "¿Qué está pasando? Creo que son dos hombres. Se han oído disparos y una explosión. ¡Abran la puerta! ¡En el piso de arriba! ¡Policía! ¡Abran la puerta!" Entering: "¡Quieto ahí! ¡Levante las manos!"

"What's happening? I think there are two men. We've heard shots and an explosion. Open the door! It's upstairs! Police! Open the door!" "Stop you there! Raise your hands!"

LTK and QOS have lots of Spanish lines so asked for something concrete...
    I'll add just this one from Craig: "Hola. Somos maestros en año sabático... y nos ganamos la lotería" (American Spanish again. In Spain we'd say "nos tocó la lotería").

"Hello. We are teachers in sabbatical year ... and we won the lottery!"

Brilliant information there,thanks matey !
    My pleasure.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I did notice on a recent watch of OP that, as you wrote, the voice on the speakers says "saltar para algunos meses", which is likely an incorrect translation from English ("jump for a few months", with the for translated as para instead of por). I think it's possible that whoever translated/read the lines didn't point it out and/or correct it because Spanish wasn't their first language, or they just didn't think of speaking up about it.
    Yes, I think you're right. It's a not unusual mistake.

Here comes one really interesting. In FRWL pts, when Grant kills Bond and the lights turn on, you can hear: "¡Las luces! ¡Cada uno donde está!"

"Lights! Everyone stays where he is!" There's no indication in the film to where Spectre island is. Cuba'63, perhaps?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    My pleasure.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Yes, I think you're right. It's a not unusual mistake.

Here comes one really interesting. In FRWL pts, when Grant kills Bond and the lights turn on, you can hear: "¡Las luces! ¡Cada uno donde está!"

"Lights! Everyone stays where he is!" There's no indication in the film to where Spectre island is. Cuba'63, perhaps?

Now that's a good catch! I didn't realise it was Spanish!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,539
    I asked this too four years ago... https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/391918/#Comment_391918 ;)

In CR Montenegro's train the waiter says... "¿Quiere un pliego, señor?" "Do you want the menu, sir?" And I understand this was shot in Pinewood !!??
    I asked this too four years ago... https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/391918/#Comment_391918 ;)

In CR Montenegro's train the waiter says... "¿Quiere un pliego, señor?" "Do you want the menu, sir?" And I understand this was shot in Pinewood !!??

Ít was Emanuel's new job after Fawlty Towers closed shop.....
    edited November 2018 Posts: 6,784
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    As Mollaka is running through the building site, when he drops down a level inside the building one of the workmen shouts "Qu'est ce-que vous fait?!" (What are you doing?!), matching the French of the guy later on with his "Laissez tombe".

The fictional country of Nambutu is obviously French speaking...

You’re very right.
    It should be “vous faites” though ;)
    And “Laissez tomber”.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Ít was Emanuel's new job after Fawlty Towers closed shop.....

Question: What language can one expect from a waiter on a Czech Pendolino train, its inside recreated in the UK, passing for a Montenegrin train and introduced as going through Montenegro (in a decidedly un-Montenegrin countryside), immediately thereafter passing the Swiss town of Chur (albeit at a non-existing Chur-Ost station)...on its way to the other side of the Adriatic sea, 20-plus hours away?

Answer: The list is endless. Might have been Mandarin for what it's worth.
    Just wanted to let you know, the list got a massive update.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Great, @PropertyOfALady. Three small corrections (call me grammar police, if you wish):

DN, Chemin de Fer game:
    "Oui, madame. Changeur, s'il vous plaît" (not ...plat)

GF (and CR)
    "Guten Abend" (all nouns start with caps in German)

SP
    The penultimate line must be "Tempus fugit " (not Tempis...)
    Corrections implemented. Thanks @ggl007.
    It's j_w_pepper...but I appreciate it anyway.
    Another thing:

When they say “à la banque” during baccarat. There should be an accent on “à”.
    ;)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    SF, Hashima Island scene
    Silva's henchman to his colleagues:
    Vodite ga u glavnu sobu (Take him to the main room).