"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    If it was South Yorkshire Police - absolutely!
    RENFIELD (2023) trailer.

ToTheRight wrote: »
    RENFIELD (2023) trailer.

It might be a fun parody, but is it supposed to be part of the Dark Universe? I sure hope not.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    RENFIELD (2023) trailer.

It might be a fun parody, but is it supposed to be part of the Dark Universe? I sure hope not.

I think the Dark Universe may well be over. I imagine this is a stand alone.
    Looks fun, though and I'd probably like it.
    RENFIELD (2023) trailer.

It might actually be enjoyable. It's obviously intended as a comedy. The latest BBC adaptation was an unvoluntary one. And not funny at all.

That said, I find it tragic that they messed up the Dark Universe.
    RENFIELD (2023) trailer.

It might actually be enjoyable. It's obviously intended as a comedy. The latest BBC adaptation was an unvoluntary one. And not funny at all.

It's a pity the Dark Universe never really came to fruition. I finally got to see the 2020 BBC DRACULA. I thought it was interesting, but haven't had the urge to watch it again.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think “The Mummy” put a stake through the heart of The Dark Universe.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Dark Universe is dead, Cage is more Leslie Nielson than Gary Oldman.

As far as comedic Dracula's go, I'm hoping Cage will be one of the better Counts. I quite like George Hamilton's Dracula, but just can't get into Leslie Nielson. I even prefered Judd Hirsch!
    I do like Cage's look. The fur collared over coat evokes Udo Kier.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

As far as comedic Dracula's go, I'm hoping Cage will be one of the better Counts. I quite like George Hamilton's Dracula, but just can't get into Leslie Nielson. I even prefered Judd Hirsch!

Love at First Bite was great back in my youth, fond memory's of that film.

Love at First Bite was great back in my youth, fond memory's of that film.

It's one of my favorites.
    RENFIELD (2023) trailer.

It's a pity the Dark Universe never really came to fruition. I finally got to see the 2020 BBC DRACULA. I thought it was interesting, but haven't had the urge to watch it again.

I struggled to finish the first episode. Typical BBC vanity project. Absolutely terrible. The Dark Universe is a great idea, but I think they had no clue what to do with it.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,928
    I actually boycotted that last BBC Dracula. I read about it and it was a straight 'hell, no' from me. I'm not big on comedy horror, so I probably won't bother with Renfield. Having said that, I did love the bit in the trailer where the tutor invited Dracula into the room! :D
    RENFIELD (2023) trailer.

I struggled to finish the first episode. Typical BBC vanity project. Absolutely terrible. The Dark Universe is a great idea, but I think they had no clue what to do with it.

I didn't get thru the last episode without skipping thru it a bit. There were a few elements in the BBC series I liked, but I'd have rather just had another typical adaptation of the book (or stage play). I'd much rather watch Palance, the Franco version, Jourdan or any of the Hammer films for the 900th time than this. A prominant problem for me in mordern adaptations of classics is that the desire to reinvent draws often attenton to itself and I'm taken out of the story.

Couldn't agree more about The Dark Universe.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I actually boycotted that last BBC Dracula. I read about it and it was a straight 'hell, no' from me. I'm not big on comedy horror, so I probably won't bother with Renfield. Having said that, I did love the bit in the trailer where the tutor invited Dracula into the room! :D

Inviting Dracula in......................priceless.The filmmakers and whoever put the trailer together know their vampire lore.
    Venutius wrote: »

I should have done the same thing about the BBC pseudo Drac.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm not into boycotting any adaptation of Dracula.

Dracula was quickly adapted into plays, then films, then TV material, comics, and more--some rather "seriously", some as pure parody. I think the Bram Stoker source material is unknown to many people, while at least some caricature of Dracula is well-known to almost all.

I've also heard many people say that they tried to read Dracula and couldn't even get halfway through it. I've heard others claim that Dracula is "unfilmable", meaning that the best we can get is some compromised version anyway.

In that sense, I have come to accept that dozens of Dracula films out there tell various different stories, freely conflate characters or invent new ones, play with tone, setting, et cetera. I just separate the ones I like from the ones I don't. But whether or not I like a Dracula film is not necessarily a matter of whether or not the adaptation is "correct", faithful, or serious. Same with Lovecraft, Bond, and many more.

The only film I've ever detested for completely screwing up its source material was Troy. But that was ages ago, and I was more "irascible" then. ;-)
    I still think the BBC Dracula sucked and Gatiss and Moffat are talentless hacks.
    I don't mind 'versions', but if something sounds like it's going to be an outright travesty, I'm going to avoid it rather than sit there growling at the screen for two hours. It's the same reason I don't watch the Tory Party Conference - it'd just wind me up. ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Not represented here yet maybe.

137x210.jpg
    wikipedia_PNG40.png
    Dracula Cha Cha Cha
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_Cha_Cha_Cha
    First edition
    Author Kim Newman
    Country United States
    Language English
    Series Anno Dracula series
    Genre Alternate history, horror
    Publisher Carroll & Graf
    Publication date 1998
    Media type Print (hardcover and paperback)
    Pages 291 (paperback)
    ISBN 0-380-73229-7
    OCLC 42805587
    Preceded by The Bloody Red Baron
    Followed by Johnny Alucard
    Anno Dracula: Dracula Cha Cha Cha (re-titled Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 upon initial U.S. release) is an alternate history/horror novel by British writer Kim Newman. First published in 1998 by Carroll & Graf, it is the third book in the Anno Dracula series.

Plot
    In 1959, several of the world's notable vampires gather in Rome for the wedding of Count Dracula. Nefarious schemes are afoot and being investigated by British Intelligence, the Diogenes Club, and several others, including a British spy on the trail of a sinister madman with a white cat.

Setting
    The book is an alternate history novel set in a world where Van Helsing never killed Dracula. The version of Rome shown in the book is heavily influenced by Italian filmmaker Federico Fellini. As always in the series, the novel contains a number of characters from other fictional works, though due to copyright restrictions some are not named or are given aliases.
    Some of these identity shifts are quite clear (such as the character of Commander Hamish Bond, based on James Bond, who has a fondness for martinis, drives an Aston Martin, carries a Walther PPK, has the Scots version of the name "James" for his name, and gets to say "the bitch is dead."), while some are more obscure (a Kansas football player named Kent, for example).
    The novel's original title is inspired by Bruno Martino's song "Dracula Cha Cha" (1959) (La Voce del Padrone, 7 MQ 1271), which appears on the album I grandi successi di Bruno Martino (The Great Successes of Bruno Martino - 1959) (La Voce del Padrone, QELP 8012) and is performed onscreen in Vincente Minnelli's film Two Weeks in Another Town (1962).

borg-logo-sharp-v.jpg?w=95&ssl=1
    British spy Bond seduces
    readers as a vampire in Kim
    Newman Dracula novel
    November 12, 2012 borgeditor
    Review by C.J. Bunce

https://borg.com/2012/11/12/british-spy-bond-seduces-readers-as-a-vampire-in-kim-newman-dracula-novel/

book-prakash-books-9780857680853-39483756282051_360x.jpg?v=1661434481
    75dbcb736675a96a6f4a35b9eab98eba824651c2.pnj
    I recently rewatched 1992's Bram Stoker's Dracula which, despite a few horrible performances (and even worse fake accents), is still one of my favourites. It's a beautifully surreal film, and at least in some regards closer to the book than most other versions we've had. Also, I love the cast, even if the acting is, at times, just bad. And the score is magnificent.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I recently rewatched 1992's Bram Stoker's Dracula which, despite a few horrible performances (and even worse fake accents), is still one of my favourites. It's a beautifully surreal film, and at least in some regards closer to the book than most other versions we've had. Also, I love the cast, even if the acting is, at times, just bad. And the score is magnificent.
    I agree with everything you’ve said, what a great film, but Keanu Reeves, ouch!
  • talos7 wrote: »
    I agree with everything you’ve said, what a great film, but Keanu Reeves, ouch!

I can't help but think how much stronger that film would be had Coppola managed to cast Johnny Depp as he originally wanted. Still, as you say, a great film though.
    Not represented here yet maybe.

137x210.jpg
    wikipedia_PNG40.png
    Dracula Cha Cha Cha
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_Cha_Cha_Cha
    First edition
    Author Kim Newman
    Country United States
    Language English
    Series Anno Dracula series
    Genre Alternate history, horror
    Publisher Carroll & Graf
    Publication date 1998
    Media type Print (hardcover and paperback)
    Pages 291 (paperback)
    ISBN 0-380-73229-7
    OCLC 42805587
    Preceded by The Bloody Red Baron
    Followed by Johnny Alucard
    Anno Dracula: Dracula Cha Cha Cha (re-titled Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 upon initial U.S. release) is an alternate history/horror novel by British writer Kim Newman. First published in 1998 by Carroll & Graf, it is the third book in the Anno Dracula series.

Plot
    In 1959, several of the world's notable vampires gather in Rome for the wedding of Count Dracula. Nefarious schemes are afoot and being investigated by British Intelligence, the Diogenes Club, and several others, including a British spy on the trail of a sinister madman with a white cat.

Setting
    The book is an alternate history novel set in a world where Van Helsing never killed Dracula. The version of Rome shown in the book is heavily influenced by Italian filmmaker Federico Fellini. As always in the series, the novel contains a number of characters from other fictional works, though due to copyright restrictions some are not named or are given aliases.
    Some of these identity shifts are quite clear (such as the character of Commander Hamish Bond, based on James Bond, who has a fondness for martinis, drives an Aston Martin, carries a Walther PPK, has the Scots version of the name "James" for his name, and gets to say "the bitch is dead."), while some are more obscure (a Kansas football player named Kent, for example).
    The novel's original title is inspired by Bruno Martino's song "Dracula Cha Cha" (1959) (La Voce del Padrone, 7 MQ 1271), which appears on the album I grandi successi di Bruno Martino (The Great Successes of Bruno Martino - 1959) (La Voce del Padrone, QELP 8012) and is performed onscreen in Vincente Minnelli's film Two Weeks in Another Town (1962).

borg-logo-sharp-v.jpg?w=95&ssl=1
    British spy Bond seduces
    readers as a vampire in Kim
    Newman Dracula novel
    November 12, 2012 borgeditor
    Review by C.J. Bunce

https://borg.com/2012/11/12/british-spy-bond-seduces-readers-as-a-vampire-in-kim-newman-dracula-novel/

book-prakash-books-9780857680853-39483756282051_360x.jpg?v=1661434481
    75dbcb736675a96a6f4a35b9eab98eba824651c2.pnj

Kim Newman's Anno Dracula series is simply amazing. A highly recommended read. It's a marvelous look at what would have happened to the world had Van Helsing and crew failed to stop Dracula. Brilliant.
    Another terrific Dracula novel is "The Return of the Wolf Man". Quoted from an Amazon review: Jeff Rovin makes the wishes of monster fans come true with this novel. Picking up at the climax of ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, we are finally told what "really" happened to Lawrence Talbot/the Wolf Man, Count Dracula, and the Frankenstein Monster following that film's conclusion. Copies are unfortunately very expensive.

Hated it. Because of the fake accents, the dreadful acting of some of the parts, because of the reincarnated love plot point, because of the anachronistic Victorian era. In fact it was the version I hated the most before the recent BBC Dracula. Which beats every other in terms of awfulness.

Hated it. Because of the fake accents, the dreadful acting of some of the parts, because of the reincarnated love plot point, because of the anachronistic Victorian era. In fact it was the version I hated the most before the recent BBC Dracula. Which beats every other in terms of awfulness.

Should I check the BBC Dracula out, @Ludovico? Just to know what they made?

If you're masochistic...

If you're masochistic...

A love a bit of hate-watching from time to time. ;-)

If you're masochistic...

A love a bit of hate-watching from time to time. ;-)

You'll be served. Moffat and Gatiss pretty much have a reverse Midas touch: Sherlock, Jekyll, Dracula.