"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

Ludovico wrote: »
    The thing is, Dracula is not some slasher antagonist. He's way more than that. And the Demeter episode in the novel works in part because of its brevity.

Yup, I'm aware - I still enjoyed the film though.

And that's fine. I enjoyed many Hammer movies where Dracula is little more than that. But they were low budget films churned in quickly.

Since a faithful adaptation of Dracula was never done, I think that's what's in order.
    Well, now there is the upcoming theme park area at Epic Universe called "Dark Universe" which will be featuring the classic monsters, including Dracula.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The thing is, Dracula is not some slasher antagonist. He's way more than that. And the Demeter episode in the novel works in part because of its brevity.

And that's fine. I enjoyed many Hammer movies where Dracula is little more than that. But they were low budget films churned in quickly.

Since a faithful adaptation of Dracula was never done, I think that's what's in order.

Yeah, that was part of my initial point about the whole Dark Universe silliness. You're not going to get a proper adaptation of the novel if they go that route either.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Well, now there is the upcoming theme park area at Epic Universe called "Dark Universe" which will be featuring the classic monsters, including Dracula.
    If they're going to have a Dark Universe theme park, I wonder if they have the intention of developing a film franchise with it.

Yeah, that was part of my initial point about the whole Dark Universe silliness. You're not going to get a proper adaptation of the novel if they go that route either.

I'm not so sure: they could make a strong standalone movie that is a faithful adaptation and could be a basis for the franchise if subsequently warranted (ie they have critical and financial successes to work on). But I guess a Dark Universe would have a Dracula akin to the one in the 1931 movie. Far from my favourite interpretation of the character, I could still see a faithful remake of the 1931 film working.

But yeah, I'd rather have a faithful adaptation, in an ideal world.
    Princess Weekes on turning Mina into Dracula's love interest and how it is detrimental to the character. She also gives a proper appraisal of Jonathan Harker:
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Watched THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER. Might have been a pretty good film in, say, 1992, but all its tricks and traps are nothing new, shocking or even tense today.
    I hate when Dracula is reduced to a slasher.

I'm willing to allow them to experiment with Dracula as a horror monster; I'm not a purist. I don't think the literary Dracula can be made particularly interesting on screen, so something must be added to draw my attention. However, DEMETER did nothing special; rather, it felt like a film made 25 years too late.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I'm willing to allow them to experiment with Dracula as a horror monster; I'm not a purist. I don't think the literary Dracula can be made particularly interesting on screen, so something must be added to draw my attention. However, DEMETER did nothing special; rather, it felt like a film made 25 years too late.

I disagree: I think the literary Dracula is a very interesting villain. A sexual predator, a terrorist of sorts, a serial killer, the potential creator of a pandemic. He's one of the few "large scale" horror villains, maybe the first one. He's the ancestor of both Lovecraft Elder Gods and Bond villains. And Voldemort. There's a lot to work on.

I disagree: I think the literary Dracula is a very interesting villain. A sexual predator, a terrorist of sorts, a serial killer, the potential creator of a pandemic. He's one of the few "large scale" horror villains, maybe the first one. He's the ancestor of both Lovecraft Elder Gods and Bond villains. And Voldemort. There's a lot to work on.

I don't disagree with that analysis. Perhaps I should have clarified that I meant the novel as such. A faithful adaptation of the novel, with nothing left out or added, would be difficult if not impossible to turn into an interesting movie, if you ask me. And the features of Dracula, as you describe them, are certainly there, but a bit subtle. I wouldn't mind some of them more grotesquely emphasized. However, DEMETER turned him into an uncaged animal, which is too much of a comic book approach and not at all what I, personally, want to see.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    DEMETER did nothing special; rather, it felt like a film made 25 years too late.
    I think the original Demeter script was actually written in the late '90s/early '00s, so that's pretty astute, tbf!
    Venutius wrote: »
    DEMETER did nothing special; rather, it felt like a film made 25 years too late.
    I think the original Demeter script was actually written in the late '90s/early '00s, so that's pretty astute, tbf!

That's awesome! :-D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It feeling like a throwback was conversely one of the reasons why I enjoyed it! :)

I don't disagree with that analysis. Perhaps I should have clarified that I meant the novel as such. A faithful adaptation of the novel, with nothing left out or added, would be difficult if not impossible to turn into an interesting movie, if you ask me. And the features of Dracula, as you describe them, are certainly there, but a bit subtle. I wouldn't mind some of them more grotesquely emphasized. However, DEMETER turned him into an uncaged animal, which is too much of a comic book approach and not at all what I, personally, want to see.

Well, that is true of almost any novel. But if they can make a fairly faithful adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, Moby Dick and Harry Potter, surely they can do one of Dracula. Heck the one with Louis Jourdan, flawed as it was, managed to remain pretty faithful, far more than most, and with limited means.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Nosferatu Will Conjure Vampiric Terror In Robert Eggers’ ‘Old-School Gothic’ Horror: ‘It’s A Scary Film’
    nosferatu-header.jpg?ar=16%3A9&fit=crop&crop=top&auto=format&w=992&q=80
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/nosferatu-robert-eggers-first-look-gothic-horror-world-exclusive/

This will be great.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 1,708
    Nosferatu Will Conjure Vampiric Terror In Robert Eggers’ ‘Old-School Gothic’ Horror: ‘It’s A Scary Film’
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/nosferatu-robert-eggers-first-look-gothic-horror-world-exclusive/

This will be great.

Well, it does look like it has potential, especially after the monotone Demeter and off the wall Renfield.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    delfloria wrote: »

This will be great.

Well, it does look like it has potential, especially after the monotone Demeter and off the wall Renfield.

The Northman directed by Eggers was superb if its on that level it will be some movie.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,574
    What makes Eggers the perfect guy for this job, IMO at least, is that
    1. He allows his films to breathe. He subjects the pacing of his films to the story he wants to tell, not to the audience's short attention span.
    2. He doesn't go for quick jump scares or cheap effects; rather, he works the psychological angle without shunning frightening images.
    3. He provides 'elevated' horror, i.e. horror that works as human drama as well. There is actual content in his films, something to talk about afterward.
    4. He reveres the older eras of filmmaking and manages to make modern films feel and look like they were made when our grandparents were young.

In other words, Eggers doesn't seem like the guy who's willing to sell his soul for extra bucks from the teen crowd. He's an artist, and while this may be a naive thing to say, I want to believe that nothing on screen is there unless Eggers wants it there.

Of the more recent, young filmmakers in the horror genre (Aster, Bruckner, Flanagan, Benson & Moorhead, ...), Eggers is by far my favourite with a perfect 3/3. (The Northman is not really a horror film, I guess.)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    This is not a great quality image but found this on Twitter from the Empire article regarding Nosferatu.

F_i_RCbWwAAF5QA?format=png&name=900x900
    Sounds interesting.
    I'm pretty excited about NOSFERATU. Makes me smile that just this year we've had different Dracula adaptations and films. I've missed him. I still haven't seen LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER, but plan to remedy that.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,435
    Denbigh wrote: »
    This is not a great quality image but found this on Twitter from the Empire article regarding Nosferatu.

Clearer version:
    e1flf340r62c1.jpg

Can't find any photo evidence of Eggers' high school play version of Nosferatu mentioned there. Was curious what he meant by "we painted ourselves black and white." I imagine mostly white with black contrasting accents...

Will just edit to update instead of new post, but there's now an image of Hoult (and vampy):

https://x.com/worldofreel/status/1728131715233902683?s=46&t=1n5Rcs-hD3txaEWwd9IFoA
    LucknFate wrote: »

Clearer version:
    e1flf340r62c1.jpg

Can't find any photo evidence of Eggers' high school play version of Nosferatu mentioned there. Was curious what he meant by "we painted ourselves black and white." I imagine mostly white with black contrasting accents...

Will just edit to update instead of new post, but there's now an image of Hoult (and vampy):

https://x.com/worldofreel/status/1728131715233902683?s=46&t=1n5Rcs-hD3txaEWwd9IFoA

I must say, I'm a huge fan of Anya, but somehow, L-R Depp feels 'right' for this movie. I can't exactly explain where this feeling comes from, though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Thanks @LucknFate. Also here’s the better quality version of the other exclusive image. Thought I’d share it directly on here :)

F_uc6B4WwAAyr4A?format=jpg&name=medium
    I expect Eggers to present us with a film that breathes, that takes its time to develop its story, and that can be viewed as both a horror film and a drama that explores bits of the human psyche. I trust Eggers to aim for style and substance at the same time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Another new image from Nosferatu.

fkRyQcuQJzX33J3W87FoCe.jpg
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 14,844
    Another new image from Nosferatu.

fkRyQcuQJzX33J3W87FoCe.jpg

Looks great. When it comes to horror, less is more: you don't need gory images, just the terrified look on someone's face staring at inhumanly long nails. Unheimlich.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Do you guys reckon we'll get a trailer soon?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,936
    Looks great. When it comes to horror, less is more: you don't need gory images, just the terrified look on someone's face staring at inhumanly long nails. Unheimlich.
    Indeed. There was a really disappointing film about the 1970s Pontefract 'Black Monk' haunting in West Yorkshire that was made a few years back. It was saddled with the usual modern jump scares, etc, but one of the deleted scenes involved a camera being left filming in the empty house and then them watching the footage later. You didn't see what had been recorded, just the mother's quiet but increasingly disturbed reaction to watching it. That was far more unsettling than all the cheap tropes that made it into the finished film.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Indeed. There was a really disappointing film about the 1970s Pontefract 'Black Monk' haunting in West Yorkshire that was made a few years back. It was saddled with the usual modern jump scares, etc, but one of the deleted scenes involved a camera being left filming in the empty house and then them watching the footage later. You didn't see what had been recorded, just the mother's quiet but increasingly disturbed reaction to watching it. That was far more unsettling than all the cheap tropes that made it into the finished film.

It's the essence of Michael Powell's Peeping Tom: our fascination with the terror in (our) victims' eyes. And I agree, jump scares do not good horror make... though they can be fun, in modest doses.