NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    We'll see, but the numbers don't lie. If people are really pumped for "Craigs last outing" as 007, then they'll be there to send him off. I think that in November we'll discover that Skyfall was the hard peak for this era, and Bond 25 probably won't even manage to match SP numbers. I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago, people really were happy for SP to be the end of the era, and EON made the wrong decision to carry on another 5 years with it. I watch the youtube reviews of many casual fans at the time, and there was definitely a sense that they had their fill with this take on the character. The fact is many are tired of the same Bond since 2006, even if it was once great, its become stale. Just looking at the trailers, all the same tropes are there, I think people are getting sick of it. Ofcourse if the movie does over a billion, as many have predicted, I'll happily admit I've been wrong this whole time.

You and some of your disciples have had your fill of then character please do not try and make out your opinion is the deciding factor here.

Anyway I hear Aidan needs fluffing again.
    I feel the general consensus is that a Black Widow film has come too late. There should have been a Black Widow movies at least 5 years ago, and this movie doesn't appear to be pushing the universe forward at all. I think the movie will do well, but maybe not $1 billion well.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    It will underperform significantly. In November many people will still be skittish about going to theaters, and the stench of SPECTRE won't help.

I can't believe the folks here are still arguing about this. Just be glad if it's a good movie.
    I think people are just waiting for a new Bond film. QOS disappointed and SF made over a billion, so I don't think NTTD will underperform significantly, and I don't think peoples memories of SP will effect them in anyway.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 12,837
    I disagree on people being skittish. I think people will be excited to get out again. Plenty getting restless and refusing to follow advice already, look at Primrose Hill today.

I think it'll do pretty well. Not Skyfall numbers but it's Craig's last, the first in a while, and people will want to be getting out and about and enjoying things again. In my not expert, not really aware of the competition opinion, I think it could do Spectre numbers, or slightly lower.

It's guaranteed to do well in the UK no matter what happens. Bond always feels like an event over here but the last two in particular have done very well, and Spectre seemed to go down a lot better over here (most people I know enjoyed it, and UK reviews tended to be extremely positive) than elsewhere, so I don't think that film will have any impact on the UK box office. Don't know about anywhere else but I can't see it flopping or anything, no matter how badly some fans might want it to.
    Well yes, No Time To Die box office will be affected by real world events. As far as potentially under-performing it will be judged against the takes of the other big budget releases as they play out, I expect.

Stench, huh.

The only film that they would potentially step on the toes of is Kong v Godzilla. But who wants to even see this film. Nonetheless, November and December are looking very busy.

0-Godzilla-vs-Kong-Feat-Image.jpg
    giphy-3.gif?w=288

Haha, if it makes you feel any better I'm quite excited for that one too. Found Godzilla kind of disappointing (thought it was going to be a Cloverfield esque film with Bryan Cranston, instead it was a kind of dull generic blockbuster with Aaron Taylor Johnson imo) and haven't seen the second one, but I really loved Kong Skull Island. That was great fun, a real surprise.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It will be interesting to see how the box office for films in general recover from this.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 12,837
    It will be interesting to see how the box office for films in general recover from this.

I think it'll just come in shifts personally. I really don't think this is going to scare people enough to stay indoors even when lockdown lifts. But then we could be back in lockdown again a few months down the line.

Once things have calmed down I reckon cinemas will be doing fine again, and if things are still "normal" by the time NTTD releases, I think it'll do fine. The worry is when and how bad any second wave before a vaccine is going to be. But then they can always push it back again if they really have to.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I think it'll just come in shifts personally. I really don't think this is going to scare people enough to stay indoors even when lockdown lifts. But then we could be back in lockdown again a few months down the line.

Once things have calmed down I reckon cinemas will be doing fine again, and if things are still "normal" by the time NTTD releases, I think it'll do fine. The worry is when and how bad any second wave before a vaccine is going to be. But then they can always push it back again if they really have to.

This is true. We can predict this and that but ultimately everything can change in the space of a week, even less.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes4Lyfe and others have a clear agenda. It's quite frankly nauseating.

This article stated that an educated guess: NTTD, under the current climate, will make BETWEEN the $800 million of Coco, and the $1.2 BILLION of Frozen.

In this climate, closing in and around a billion dollars... how is that a million less than Spectre?

@Mendes4Lyfe , skip this flick and wait for Bond 7 to be cast, sometime in 2026...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think a Marvel movie starring one of there most popular characters is something to be feared for certain......

source.gif

The simple thing to do would be to move the international date to 19 November 2020

Also had everything gone according to plan, we would have got NTTD's first final weekend numbers internationally today. Which I'm sure it would have dominated, though the warm weather in the UK would have put a dent in those numbers.

ftjlyvy40nk41.jpg

oooooh I do love that banner! :-O @-) :-bd

Coolest so far.
    In other news......it looks like Marvel is moving Black Widow up a week in international territories:

This means the film will be out for around a week around the world before it debuts domestically in the USA. This is great news as NTTD's international debut is 12 November before it hits the USA on 25 November.

Basically, Black Widow has a two-week run before Bond turns up the heat...........which means the core audience won't have to choose between the two.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    In other news......it looks like Marvel is moving Black Widow up a week in international territories:

This means the film will be out for around a week around the world before it debuts domestically in the USA. This is great news as NTTD's international debut is 12 November before it hits the USA on 25 November.

Basically, Black Widow has a two-week run before Bond turns up the heat...........which means the core audience won't have to choose between the two.

That is if, a big if, Black Widow or NTTD aren't delayed again, this time to 2021. As I said before, it would not be surprising if absolutely no major film release happen for the rest of this year.

That is if, a big if, Black Widow or NTTD aren't delayed again, this time to 2021. As I said before, it would not be surprising if absolutely no major film release happen for the rest of this year.

The self-distancing is working here in the US and across the globe. We could have been through this part of it already had the American government acted sooner. There’s also rumblings that a vaccine may be much closer than originally anticipated.

https://biobuzz.io/covid-19-vaccine-progress-from-8-biohealth-capital-region-companies/

https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-04-07/research-covid-19-vaccine-shows-unique-global-collaboration-says-ebola-vaccine

I think the November date will stick. NTTD had a good shot at opening with $100m over the Easter weekend but now, I think, it’s almost guaranteed over Thanksgiving. The five day may creep up to $115m+. If rumored plot details are true then Bond saving the world from this particular threat may seem even more triumphant and prescient to beleaguered audiences.

BTW, there’s a fun thread going on the BoxOfficeTheory.com forums about NTTD’s hypothetical opening weekend. So far, $10.3m in Thursday night previews with a $32m opening day.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/28919-bond-weekend-thread-james-bond-lives-with-103m-previews-dhd-friday-update-40-45m/

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Soul has been delayed to November (originally due in June), and Raya and the Last Dragon to March 2021 (originally due this November).

There is now zero major release until The Purge on July 10th, Tenet on July 17th and Mulan on July 24th. And all 3 of those are very likely to be delayed as well.

France, which is must less hit by coronavirus than the US, has confirmed yesterday that cinemas will not re-open until mid-July at the very earliest, and most likely will remain closed until September.

I am getting quite unsure if any major films will be released for the remainder of this year.
    I am getting quite unsure if any major films will be released for the remainder of this year.

It's a possibility, but we won't really know until we get closer to that date.

It's a possibility, but we won't really know until we get closer to that date.

True, we will get a clearer idea if by July/August the September/October releases start getting pushed to 2021 due to cinemas still being closed for the foreseeable future.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 7,500
    The detractors like to push the agenda that SP was the proof people are "sick and tired of the Craig era" and just want it to end. The fact of the matter though is that SP was a very succesful film. So something is not right with the logic behind the thesis.

It is almost impossible to predict what the situation around the world will be in november and how the BO will be affected, but if the naysayers' biggest threat and most pessimistic doomsday prediction is that NTTD will do (shock horror!) "slightly worse than SP", then I am not overly concerned.

If you want to spread negativity, at least try a little harder ;))
    jobo wrote: »
    The detractors like to push the agenda that SP was the proof people are "sick and tired of the Craig era" and just want it to end. The fact of the matter though is that SP was a very succesful film. So something is not right with the logic behind the thesis.

It is almost impossible to predict what the situation around the world will be in november and how the BO will be affected, but if the naysayers' biggest threat and most pessimistic doomsday prediction is that NTTD will do (shock horror!) "slightly worse than SP", then I am not overly concerned.

If you want to spread negativity, at least try a little harder ;))

I hope this is a response to a certain Aiden Turner fan, as I am quite positive that whenever NTTD will be released, it will have a very good chance of crossing the $1 billion milestone.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Soul has been delayed to November (originally due in June), and Raya and the Last Dragon to March 2021 (originally due this November).

There is now zero major release until The Purge on July 10th, Tenet on July 17th and Mulan on July 24th. And all 3 of those are very likely to be delayed as well.

France, which is must less hit by coronavirus than the US, has confirmed yesterday that cinemas will not re-open until mid-July at the very earliest, and most likely will remain closed until September.

The audience for Soul is entirely different to that of Bond's. However, it will occupy more theatres that Bond would want. Therefore, undeniably it will make some kind of dent. But its manageable.

However, November currently has: (1) Black Widow, (2) Godzilla v Kong, (3) Soul, and (4) No Time to Die. It's going to be very busy......

I think the biggest casualty is going to be Godzilla v Kong. If Warner don't move that movie they will get destroyed by Soul and Bond.

Let's pray that cinemas are open again by then.

France is hit much stronger by corona than the US.

With a population of only 67 million, there are more than 15.000 deaths by corona.
    The US has a population of 330 million and 24.000 deaths. That's a way lower percentage.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

France is hit much stronger by corona than the US.

With a population of only 67 million, there are more than 15.000 deaths by corona.
    The US has a population of 330 million and 24.000 deaths. That's a way lower percentage.

Just over 10,000 of those US deaths are in New-York. That puts NYC just behind Lombardy (Italy) as the worst hit areas on the planet by the coronavirus. None of the regions in France come anywhere close to such numbers.

Also, sorry to bring politics into this, but the current US president is planning on re-opening the US economy as soon as possible, which will only make the situation there much, much worse. Don't be surprised if North America (and Europe) will be in constant on-and-off month-long lockdowns because of uncontrollable outbreaks and quite possibly a second world-wide wave of the pandemic come September. Which could extend these lockdowns into 2021 (the vaccine is still 16/18 months away).

And do not forgot that the WHO is refusing to rule out the possibility that people can get re-infected by this virus.
    Paramount has pushed Antoine Fuqua's sci-fi thriller Infinite (starring Mark Wahlberg) from August 7th to May 31, 2021. There are now 11 wide releases remaining between today and September 2020 (a time-span of 20 weeks).
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    In China, SF made $59,330,000, and SP earned $83,509,790.

Now, up to 40% of Chinese cinemas could close down permanently due to the Covid-19 lockdown.

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/thousands-chinese-cinemas-could-close-permanently-1234621949/
    Movie theaters’ "full-on rhythm" won’t return until 2022, Cinemark CEO says.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/movie-theaters-return-2022-cinemark-ceo-coronavirus-1202949956/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Given all the efforts they put to close the Craig era on a high is depressing the idea that the film is inevitably going to underperform.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Given all the efforts they put to close the Craig era on a high is depressing the idea that the film is inevitably going to underperform.

It remains to be seen as to whether quality wise,the film ends the Craig era on a high.I hope im proven wrong but everything iv seen so far suggests to me that its going to be a disappointment.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,025
    AstonLotus wrote: »

It remains to be seen as to whether quality wise,the film ends the Craig era on a high.I hope im proven wrong but everything iv seen so far suggests to me that its going to be a disappointment.

@AstonLotus it’s true that no Bond actor has ever had a final film that felt wholly satisfying as a swan song so I don’t expect NTTD to break that tradition, but I can always hope.

@AstonLotus it’s true that no Bond actor has ever had a final film that felt wholly satisfying as a swan song so I don’t expect NTTD to break that tradition, but I can always hope.

Both Dalton and Lazenby (obviously...) ended on a high I think.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Agreed. And only Connery really ended on a low.

I wouldn't really count either. OHMSS is a one-off. LTK is a pretty dour way to end one's run, even if unintentional, that left few fans happy with where it left the series.
    Iv always liked DAF so i dont consider it a poor way to end Connerys run.