NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• If you want me to only post positive news, then I guess I can invent some good 'ol fake news that NTTD will actually be releasing in August. Or you can stop blaming me for no reason when there aren't positive news to post about here. I think Fox News has what you ask for, but I can't vouch for their authenticity.

I'm sure there is positive news in the world at the moment - you just seem to post nothing but negative news and put down other people like myself who are trying to stay optimistic about the film coming out on schedule.
  • And by the way: I've been to the movie theaters twice this week, and I have tickets for a 3rd cinema-going trip tomorrow evening. What have you been doing to support movie theaters lately?

As I said before, I live in the UK. Cinemas in the UK have been closed since late March and aren't re-opening until 4th July. You've been quite lucky compared to me (apart from your mad president compared to my idiotic Prime Minister). I have regularly checked for updates re. cinema re-openings in the UK in the meantime.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I'm sure there is positive news in the world at the moment - you just seem to post nothing but negative news and put down other people like myself who are trying to stay optimistic about the film coming out on schedule.

Glad to know I wasted my time talking to a liar. Your post has been flagged for spreading false information and false accusations about another member.

I provided you with a link proving you were wrong, but you decided to double down on sprouting lies.
  • Edit: You can also check the 'Coming Soon to Cinemas' thread where I regularly post updates about new films being announced. But that wouldn't fit your narrative of me only posting about film delays.

Oh I see. Sorry, I didn't see this message. I apologize and I'm sorry that I offended you. I am just trying to stay positive about this situation so I don't why posting about film delays or death totals is helpful in the long run for anyone (obviously it's helpful at the time so as to gain some understanding of the situation but you have to try and concentrate on the positive side of things as much as you can to balance it).

As I said before, I live in the UK, so therefore I haven't been able to go to the cinema throughout this whole lockdown period. When cinemas do re-open on 4th July, I will rectify that as soon I possible.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,034
    Thank you for your regular updates on this matter as well as many others in other threads, @DaltonCraig007 :) It is much appreciated. I would love to be seeing NTTD in November (and still hope that I will be seeing it then!), but it's hard to see it happening. I just hope the film does well enough in the end to cap off all the hard work that has obviously gone in to making it.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I know the virus won't 'just disappear all of a sudden'. I'm aware that it takes possibly years to develop a successful vaccine and mass distribute it. On the other hand, you can't just hide in your house and wait for it to go away while the economy as well as people's physical and mental health goes down the plughole. You have to start somewhere. Otherwise you might as well seal yourself indoors and never go outside for the rest of your life.
    Seems to me you're the pragmatic one, @RogerJonMoorePertwee.

A pragmatic person wouldn't have a go at someone for posting news about the thing that he's supposedly being pragmatic about.
  • I wasn't intending to be pragmatic about it. I know what's realistic about this situation but the difference is that I'm saying that you need to try and look for the positive side of things. People who say "Well, I'm not going to do this or do that until there's a vaccine.", they're the people who've given up on things getting better sooner than later. I intend to live my life as much as possible and I'm not going to lock myself away until the virus goes away (which as people have said, it won't). It's very easy to be cynical and negative about this (which I have been at times, I admit) and use it as an excuse to hide away from the world but I'm not going to do that. I did the best that I could during this lockdown but I want to live my life as much as I can (and yes I am considerate of others if anyone's going to reply to say that I'm endangering other people - I'm not going to a crowded beach, I'm going to the cinema for a couple of hours).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It's very easy to be cynical and negative about this (which I have been at times, I admit) and use it as an excuse to hide away from the world but I'm not going to do that.

I've already been to the cinema twice since they reopened on June 22nd - 3rd time coming tomorrow and 4th time next Tuesday. So if there's anyone who is 'using an excuse to hide away from the world', it isn't me.
  • I'm not - as I keep saying, cinemas in the UK aren't re-opening until 4th July.
    I'm wasn't saying that you were but that some people will use it as an excuse.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,343
    A 2nd wave in Autumn is pretty much a given. Theaters will re-open in the summer but then they will close again. To predict the future is impossible and I don’t want to sound too pessimistic but a further delay will happen at some point.
    Im not surprised that the virus situation is worse in america right now.Seriously,what did they expect when they opened up everything ( In a non phased basis ) like the virus was gone? And as soon as all these blacklivesmatter riots broke out,it was only going to get even worse.

To be honest,im actually more sad about WW84 being delayed than NTTD but i fear we will be lucky to see either of these movies this year.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I simply do not understand how people expect a pandemic that has affected the entire world for over 6 months to just disappear all of a sudden because they wish to see a movie or to get a haircut. The economy is tanking in various sectors, there are millions of unemployed people, a second wave of the outbreak could happen, various world leaders are calling the pandemic a hoax. So no, things won't magically improve. It may take years to get back to normal. Unless you want NTTD to flop because you are so desperate to be able to watch it.

I'm aware of the economy tanking (both in the UK and worldwide). If you have a continuous, sustained lockdown, it will tank even more and millions more people will be unemployed (and some more will die because they weren't able to treated for other illnesses). I have very patiently tolerated the lockdown and, as I've said before, aside from seeing old school friends the cinema is the one activity that I have missed since the lockdown started (I really don't care about pubs or sports matches). I'm just trying to stay positive about things. You might just be pragmatic or realistic about the situation but all you seem to put down are negative reports about films delays, new cases of the virus popping up or occasionally updating the death milestone elsewhere on this forum.

I know the virus won't 'just disappear all of a sudden'. I'm aware that it takes possibly years to develop a successful vaccine and mass distribute it. On the other hand, you can't just hide in your house and wait for it to go away while the economy as well as people's physical and mental health goes down the plughole. You have to start somewhere. Otherwise you might as well seal yourself indoors and never go outside for the rest of your life.

+1 The best we can do now is take precautions and get to work. As for some positive news, recovery rate here might have improved significantly as does new cases, sadly, still a long way to go.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I can’t understand why people can’t just stay home. It’s not like they’re trapped in prison. Besides, lives are more important than the economy. The sooner our leaders have to learn that and not work for their corporate overlords the better off we can be. This is the time to put more value on lives than on the money. But I guess we’re to immature a species.
    Well, I had never thought Donald Trump could affect the NTTD release date...
    Cinemas started to re-open in Germany from May 9th on, and by now almost every theatre is open. You have to wear masks when entering and leaving, but not while sitting in your seat. For almost two months now it works very well, and there have been no new corona cases coming from visits to the cinema.
    I've been to the movies 14 times since May, and I feel safe.
    In my city (Hamburg/1.9 million people) we're from having more than 5000 corona cases down to 13 actual infected people at the moment.

If people as a collective really want to solve the problem, it works. But if people don't hold to the Runde you get a second wave, and that would destroy lots of cinemas.
  • Besides, lives are more important than the economy. The sooner our leaders have to learn that and not work for their corporate overlords the better off we can be. This is the time to put more value on lives than on the money. But I guess we’re to immature a species.

You say that, but if the economy is badly affected, then that affects more people's lives (job losses, people can't afford rent / mortgage, possibly food at some point afterwards - millions of people already live in poverty as it is). The economy affects all of us in the end so getting things back on track (to an extent for now) is vitally important.
    The economy is a concept we can easily reshape if we stop rigidly thinking of it as if there was no pandemic. Covid-19 should be challenging us to rethink how to do things, but the politicians aren't treating this as seriously as they should. I recall someone on Fox News saying he'd take the risk on the lives of his family if it meant saving the economy, that if his family had to die so be it. That's INSANE.
    I find it amusing (and worrying) how certain members are adamant a pandemic that has infected 10 million people and killed half a million people in under 7 months will conveniently disappear in time for their precious James Bond film or Christopher Nolan film to be released.

Cases are still surging in 27 states, and most of them are setting records daily infections rate on a daily basis. That is the reality. There has been zero downwards trend of the outbreak in the US. Yet people who report these facts will get people complaining that they are being overly negative. Maybe we should just post fake numbers that shows the outbreak is actually about to disappear from the planet because Tenet is coming out in 7 weeks.

Seeing certain members who I thought were very pragmatic are showing a serious lack of intelligence and common sense when a major world event is shattering their daily lives. I certainly wasn't expecting to see people claiming the pandemic will definitely end in time for NTTD because obviously coronavius is a James Bond fan so why would it delay the new 007 film.
  • It's still well over 4 months from now (just under 5 you're in the US). 4 - 5 months is quite a long time from now. Things could be much better by then, things could be much worse (especially if you live in the US, which I don't).
    We just don't know either way at this point. I, for one, am staying on the positive side as much as possible. I'd rather be unrealistically optimistic than relentlessly pessimistic about the situation. The sooner it comes out, the sooner we can finally talk about a now very long awaited new Bond film. That's the end goal of this in terms of us all being Bond fans.
    It's still well over 4 months from now (just under 5 you're in the US). 4 - 5 months is quite a long time from now. Things could be much better by then, things could be much worse (especially if you live in the US, which I don't).
    We just don't know either way at this point. I, for one, am staying on the positive side as much as possible. I'd rather be unrealistically optimistic than relentlessly pessimistic about the situation. The sooner it comes out, the sooner we can finally talk about a now very long awaited new Bond film. That's the end goal of this in terms of us all being Bond fans.

Unless you want me to post fake positive news and/or fake numbers, the situation is not improving in the US. Until it does improve, no films will be coming out. The US are currently starting their second peak of the pandemic. The previous peak lasted 2 months, and didn't involve 29 states (more than half the country). Add 1 month as a precaution. That takes us to early October. This is when the second wave of the pandemic could start affecting the rest of the world again. By then, NTTD will be 1.5 month away, or maybe NTTD will still be 4/5 months away.

It's not about being optimistic or pessimistic, but realistic.
    Back in March I thought putting NTTD in November actually gave that film a better chance in that there would be enough time for combating the virus before opening cinemas back. But with the US acting like spoiled children, it's not looking good at all.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I can’t understand why people can’t just stay home. It’s not like they’re trapped in prison. Besides, lives are more important than the economy. The sooner our leaders have to learn that and not work for their corporate overlords the better off we can be. This is the time to put more value on lives than on the money. But I guess we’re to immature a species.

Because when a daily wage earner works he earns money that day & spends 80 to 90% of it on food & other things essential to survive. It's not just about money. This keeps him & his family of 2–4 alive. If he does not earn then he & his family starve.

The health of the economy is directly tied to the health of people, and when you trash the economy and wipe out people’s livelihoods, you throw them into all kinds of things that cause serious health problems: particularly stress, depression, loneliness and anxiety. Humans are humans, they have emotions and it's tied to their health. Most of the world doesn’t have the mostly affluent and Western luxury of going under indefinite shutdown or lockdown. If it’s a choice between starvation and staying in shutdown/lockdown, I guarantee you that 100% of people will choose eating in about 3 or 4 days. I’ve read about the fate of migrant workers in some countries, take Jordan for example which was the case i specifically read about — some migrant workers already haven’t eaten in a week, because they’re not allowed to work and the government isn’t feeding them. They have no resources and charity is running thin.

Because when a daily wage earner works he earns money that day & spends 80 to 90% of it on food & other things essential to survive. It's not just about money. This keeps him & his family of 2–4 alive. If he does not earn then he & his family starve.

The health of the economy is directly tied to the health of people, and when you trash the economy and wipe out people’s livelihoods, you throw them into all kinds of things that cause serious health problems: particularly stress, depression, loneliness and anxiety. Humans are humans, they have emotions and it's tied to their health. Most of the world doesn’t have the mostly affluent and Western luxury of going under indefinite shutdown or lockdown. If it’s a choice between starvation and staying in shutdown/lockdown, I guarantee you that 100% of people will choose eating in about 3 or 4 days. I’ve read about the fate of migrant workers in some countries, take Jordan for example which was the case i specifically read about — some migrant workers already haven’t eaten in a week, because they’re not allowed to work and the government isn’t feeding them. They have no resources and charity is running thin.

While all of this is true, what people fail to realize is we are dealing with a virus that does not care at all about any of those problems. If this daily wage earner goes to work to feed his family of 2-4, if his parents/grandparents (depending on his age) live in the same household, he will be directly responsible for killing them.

This is the main issue that no one has a solution for. Going back to normality will directly kill a vast number of the world's population. Going into lockdown until a vaccine is found (which may never be found) will directly kill a vast number of the world's population.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,157
    I simply do not understand how people expect a pandemic that has affected the entire world for over 6 months to just disappear all of a sudden because they wish to see a movie or to get a haircut. The economy is tanking in various sectors, there are millions of unemployed people, a second wave of the outbreak could happen, various world leaders are calling the pandemic a hoax. So no, things won't magically improve. It may take years to get back to normal. Unless you want NTTD to flop because you are so desperate to be able to watch it.

I'm aware of the economy tanking (both in the UK and worldwide). If you have a continuous, sustained lockdown, it will tank even more and millions more people will be unemployed (and some more will die because they weren't able to treated for other illnesses). I have very patiently tolerated the lockdown and, as I've said before, aside from seeing old school friends the cinema is the one activity that I have missed since the lockdown started (I really don't care about pubs or sports matches). I'm just trying to stay positive about things. You might just be pragmatic or realistic about the situation but all you seem to put down are negative reports about films delays, new cases of the virus popping up or occasionally updating the death milestone elsewhere on this forum.

+1

Because people gotta work if they don't want to starve.
    While all of this is true, what people fail to realize is we are dealing with a virus that does not care at all about any of those problems. If this daily wage earner goes to work to feed his family of 2-4, if his parents/grandparents (depending on his age) live in the same household, he will be directly responsible for killing them.

I'm sorry but it's the parents/grandparents' fault. It was not my decision to be born, I was brought into this world without my consent and now I don't want to starve because granddad could not keep it in his pants. Pandemics have always been a thing, when people procreate they must realize that fighting pandemics is a possibility and that going to work is a necessity. If you didn't think about the risks when you had a child, then you deserve to face the consequences.
    Walecs wrote: »

I'm sorry but it's the parents/grandparents' fault. It was not my decision to be born, I was brought into this world without my consent and now I don't want to starve because granddad could not keep it in his pants. Pandemics have always been a thing, when people procreate they must realize that fighting pandemics is a possibility and that going to work is a necessity. If you didn't think about the risks when you had a child, then you deserve to face the consequences.

Let me put it another way: Enough daily wage earners infect their grandparents, enough grandparents get placed into extensive care, now it is not only their grandparents they are responsible for killing, but they are now also responsible for killing cancer patients. Cancer patients that may be the same age as these daily wage earners. What did they do to deserve this? A 20 years-old suffering a heart attack or a car accident can die directly because of daily workers causing too many serious infections. What did this young man or woman do to deserve this?

We are nearly 7 months into a global pandemic and we still have people refusing to admit that how our society works is not adapted to deal with this pandemic. The simple action of going to work is directly leading to people dying.

If this isn't sarcasm, then it's an absolutely psychopathic statement.

But I'll remember it when the time comes to planning to have kids with my other half:

"Maybe we shouldn't do this, our Grandkids could kill us in the future and it would be our fault."
    A 20 years-old suffering a heart attack or a car accident can die directly because of daily workers causing too many serious infections. What did this young man or woman do to deserve this?

Nothing, but I don't see why people should lose their jobs only because a 20 year old might suffer a car accident.
    we still have people refusing to admit that how our society works is not adapted to deal with this pandemic

I've been saying this long before the Covid outbreak and I was mocked. Ironic.
    A 20 years-old suffering a heart attack or a car accident can die directly because of daily workers causing too many serious infections. What did this young man or woman do to deserve this?

Nothing, but I don't see why people should lose their jobs only because a 20 year old might suffer a car accident.

This line of thinking is incredibly dangerous. You are putting a death sentence on everyone who suffer a car accident, a heart attack, on every cancer patients, on pregnant women giving birth to new babies, etc.

Once extensive care units are full because your work is so precious, you end up causing a mass killing of your fellow citizens.

Thousands of deaths, sometimes even thousands of daily deaths all because people are unable to understand there is an ongoing pandemic so normal activities such as going to work become incredibly dangerous to others around you.

Hospitals reached the point where they need to choose between saving a Covid-19 patient or a 6 months old baby who happened to be inside a car that crashed. The lack of humanity in 2020 is truly sad to witness.