NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Going to work doesn t equal death.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690

With Covid-19, yes. If you cause enough infections, you end up not only killing the seniors you infect, but non Covid-19 infected people who need urgent hospitalization. Or are we still denying the very existence of the ongoing pandemic?

Edit:

Here is a link that shows certain hospitals having reached full ICU capacity. All because people are unable to stay at home.

https://www.newsweek.com/texass-largest-hospital-reaches-100-percent-icu-capacity-1513481

Or how about this:

skynews-bournemouth-beach-hot-5022481.jpg

This is why things won't go back to normal any time soon. People who think the pandemic will magically disappear just in time for NTTD, just look at that picture.

With Covid-19, yes. If you cause enough infections, you end up not only killing the seniors you infect, but non Covid-19 infected people who need urgent hospitalization.

I don t know what you usually work with, but at my workplace there are about 150 people. Most have gone to work the whole time, and daily I meet about a dozen different foreigners who travel all over Europe. No one has been infected, and for my own part I haven t been the slightest sick once the last five years. It is all right , even wise , to be a little cautious. But hysteria is another matter.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

With Covid-19, yes. If you cause enough infections, you end up not only killing the seniors you infect, but non Covid-19 infected people who need urgent hospitalization.

I don t know what you usually work with, but at my workplace there are about 150 people. Most have gone to work the whole time, and daily I meet about a dozen different foreigners who travel all over Europe. No one has been infected, and for my own part I haven t been the slightest sick once the last five years. It is all right , even wise , to be a little cautious. But hysteria is another matter.

So I guess there is no pandemic because your work place hasn't had any infections? I am so very happy to know the nearly 500,000 deaths world-wide are just fake news.

So I guess there is no pandemic because your work place hasn't had any infections? I am so very happy to know the nearly 500,000 deaths world-wide are just fake news.

That wasn t what we talked about. Your opinion was that no one should be able to go to work, and I replied to that. I agree that no infected people should ever go to work, no question about that. That is another matter.
    It's still well over 4 months from now (just under 5 you're in the US). 4 - 5 months is quite a long time from now. Things could be much better by then, things could be much worse (especially if you live in the US, which I don't).
    We just don't know either way at this point. I, for one, am staying on the positive side as much as possible. I'd rather be unrealistically optimistic than relentlessly pessimistic about the situation. The sooner it comes out, the sooner we can finally talk about a now very long awaited new Bond film. That's the end goal of this in terms of us all being Bond fans.

Unless you want me to post fake positive news and/or fake numbers, the situation is not improving in the US. Until it does improve, no films will be coming out. The US are currently starting their second peak of the pandemic. The previous peak lasted 2 months, and didn't involve 29 states (more than half the country). Add 1 month as a precaution. That takes us to early October. This is when the second wave of the pandemic could start affecting the rest of the world again. By then, NTTD will be 1.5 month away, or maybe NTTD will still be 4/5 months away.

It's not about being optimistic or pessimistic, but realistic.

If the US is entering a second peak now, I dread to think what the end of the year will bring. The virus is supposed to thrive more in cold conditions.
    That wasn t what we talked about. Your opinion was that no one should be able to go to work, and I replied to that. I agree that no infected people should ever go to work, no question about that. That is another matter.

Yes, no one should have been able to go to work. For 1 month. A extremely strict lockdown of 1 month could have perfectly contained the virus. But sadly, society is unable to do that, and instead we got half-arsed lockdown that needed to be twice as long to show any effect. And now with the lockdown ending we witness how a lot of people just don't care at all about the pandemic, or flat out deny it is happening.

This pandemic will last years because people are unable to put in any effort in dealing with it.
  • Unless you want me to post fake positive news and/or fake numbers, the situation is not improving in the US. Until it does improve, no films will be coming out. The US are currently starting their second peak of the pandemic. The previous peak lasted 2 months, and didn't involve 29 states (more than half the country). Add 1 month as a precaution. That takes us to early October. This is when the second wave of the pandemic could start affecting the rest of the world again. By then, NTTD will be 1.5 month away, or maybe NTTD will still be 4/5 months away.

Your realistic view does seem to be consistently pessimistic though.

Also, as much as I'm aware that the US is one of the biggest film economies in the world, it's not the centre of the flipping universe. It's still just one country after all. Your mad president and government's decisions shouldn't impact on the rest of us. In an ideal world, the rest of us should get the film on time and you should wait for it more until infections go down.
    Unless you want me to post fake positive news and/or fake numbers, the situation is not improving in the US. Until it does improve, no films will be coming out. The US are currently starting their second peak of the pandemic. The previous peak lasted 2 months, and didn't involve 29 states (more than half the country). Add 1 month as a precaution. That takes us to early October. This is when the second wave of the pandemic could start affecting the rest of the world again. By then, NTTD will be 1.5 month away, or maybe NTTD will still be 4/5 months away.

Also, as much as I'm aware that the US is one of the biggest film economies in the world, it's not the centre of the flipping universe. It's still just one country after all. Your mad president and government's decisions shouldn't impact on the rest of us. In an ideal world, the rest of us should get the film on time and you should wait for it more until infections go down.

He does have a mad president, but it isn t Trump.

You are a troll. Your posts has once again been flagged for adding nothing to the conversation but utter stupidity.

Are you just throwing your hissy fit at me because the news I post are all negative? I am not the one writing the news, so how about you direct your childish anger somewhere else.

Who are you talking to here? I live in Europe. At least quote the correct user when you want to troll.

Also: The US is the biggest box office market on the planet. You aren't happy about that fact? Tough luck.

He does have a mad president, but it isn t Trump.

Now this I do very much agree with.
  • I'm honestly not trying to troll anyone on here. I'm just giving my honest opinion.

I'm sorry about that, I was referring to you. From the way you reference the US in terms of news of possible infection spikes and film delays, I just assumed that you were American.
    I'm honestly not trying to troll anyone on here. I'm just giving my honest opinion.

I'm sorry about that, I was referring to you. From the way you reference the US in terms of news of possible infection spikes and film delays, I just assumed that you were American.

Possible infection spikes in the US = US cinema chains are unable to open = Films get delayed.

Given this is a James Bond forum, and a new James Bond movie is due in 4 months, the evolution of the pandemic in the US is an integral part to figure out if NTTD will be released in November or not.

You may complain all you want, but the US is the biggest box office market in the world, so as long as cinemas aren't open there, films won't be coming out.

The current US situation is not looking good. In fact it is set to get exponentially worse in the next few months. I do not invent these numbers myself, so I cannot magically come up with a positive outlook to please your precious mind.
  • The current US situation is not looking good. In fact it is set to get exponentially worse in the next few months. I do not invent these numbers myself, so I cannot magically come up with a positive outlook to please your precious mind.

Theoretically, the situation in every country could become exponentially worse in the next few months. I'm just trying to stay positive about things at the moment. Speaking doom and gloom about everything at the moment surely isn't a healthy attitude to take in the long run. My film going experience shouldn't be impacted by the American government's incompetence. These are British made films at the end of the day - just backed by American money.
    Theoretically, the situation in every country could become exponentially worse in the next few months. I'm just trying to stay positive about things at the moment. Speaking doom and gloom about everything at the moment surely isn't a healthy attitude to take in the long run. My film going experience shouldn't be impacted by the American government's incompetence. These are British made films at the end of the day - just backed by American money.

Learn to read.
    Possible infection spikes in the US = US cinema chains are unable to open = Films get delayed.

Once you finally understand this sentence, you can stop sounding like a broken record.

You aren't happy about this. We get it. Stop being a cry baby. Stop throwing a hissy-fit at the adults who are actually giving updates on the whole situation. Stop your weird fantasy that the news posted here are fabricated by the members themselves.

Also: stop talking about your imaginary doom and gloom. It is becoming annoying.
  • Once you finally understand this sentence, you can stop sounding like a broken record.

Yes, because to delay a film's release worldwide because of 1 country's developments makes complete sense.
    You aren't happy about this. We get it. Stop being a cry baby. Stop throwing a hissy-fit at the adults who are actually given updates on the whole situation.

Most people don't really need to know all this information as such. People who are bombarded by / absorb lots of negative news all the time eventually let it affect their mental health - which in a time like this, is the last thing that people need. Also, thanks for your lack of understanding and complete dismissal of my feelings.

Yes, because to delay a film's release worldwide because of 1 country's developments makes complete sense.

You almost learned to read. Well done.

Here is your final lesson:
    The US is the biggest box office market in the world, so as long as cinemas aren't open there, films won't be coming out.

Are you able to read those 2 quotes?

If yes: Well done! You finally understand the discussion!

If no: Don't bother replying to me again, as I am tired of explaining this to someone who just refuses to understand basic English. And you are seriously getting on my nerves by sounding like a broken record.
  • Are you able to read those 2 quotes?

If yes: Well done! You finally understand the discussion!

Yes, I can read those 2 quotes and I can see the way you're been patronising me and belittling everything that I have been saying on here.

Just because the US is the biggest box office market in the world currently, doesn't mean it will always remain so. These things aren't set in stone. Not everything in this world has to revolve around the flipping US. For a film about a British character, made predominantly by a British based production team to have its release date determined by America seems quite ironic and stupid when you think about it.
    Just because the US is the biggest box office market in the world currently, doesn't mean it will always remain so.

This is the year 2020. If you don't like it, teleport yourself to the future where the US won't be #1 anymore. Otherwise, your argument is totally pointless as we are awaiting a Bond film in 2020, where the US is the main market.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The US is at a point now where the virus will only go away once everyone has it
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,157

Yes, no one should have been able to go to work. For 1 month. A extremely strict lockdown of 1 month could have perfectly contained the virus. But sadly, society is unable to do that, and instead we got half-arsed lockdown that needed to be twice as long to show any effect. And now with the lockdown ending we witness how a lot of people just don't care at all about the pandemic, or flat out deny it is happening.

This pandemic will last years because people are unable to put in any effort in dealing with it.
    How are people supposed to pay their bills or buy food if they won't be able to work for 1 month? If bills and taxes are frozen and the government gives us free food then I'm fine with them locking down the country, as far as I'm concerned it can even last 6 months too. My problem is that in certain places such as my country one day I was told that I should stop going to work yet I wasn't given a single cent and I still had to pay bills. If I hadn't saved money for emergencies I would have been left to die, and the problem is that when those real emergencies such as climate change will happen I will no longer have my emergency savings thanks to the government forcing me to lose my job.
  • Otherwise, your argument is totally pointless as we are awaiting a Bond film in 2020, where the US is the main market.

Which doesn't even make sense and shouldn't be the case as Bond is a British character. That's like if a new Asterix film were to come out, but the main market for it was New Zealand.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    One thing that bothers me a lot is bond haven't been much successful in US after Connery Era. SF earned 300 and SP 200 million. TB & GF earned far more adjusted to inflation, both are in top 50.
    https://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice3.html
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    we still have people refusing to admit that how our society works is not adapted to deal with this pandemic

It’s gonna take a long time for people to adapt. People are way too eager to
    I can’t understand why people can’t just stay home. It’s not like they’re trapped in prison. Besides, lives are more important than the economy. The sooner our leaders have to learn that and not work for their corporate overlords the better off we can be. This is the time to put more value on lives than on the money. But I guess we’re to immature a species.

Because when a daily wage earner works he earns money that day & spends 80 to 90% of it on food & other things essential to survive. It's not just about money. This keeps him & his family of 2–4 alive. If he does not earn then he & his family starve.

The health of the economy is directly tied to the health of people, and when you trash the economy and wipe out people’s livelihoods, you throw them into all kinds of things that cause serious health problems: particularly stress, depression, loneliness and anxiety. Humans are humans, they have emotions and it's tied to their health. Most of the world doesn’t have the mostly affluent and Western luxury of going under indefinite shutdown or lockdown. If it’s a choice between starvation and staying in shutdown/lockdown, I guarantee you that 100% of people will choose eating in about 3 or 4 days. I’ve read about the fate of migrant workers in some countries, take Jordan for example which was the case i specifically read about — some migrant workers already haven’t eaten in a week, because they’re not allowed to work and the government isn’t feeding them. They have no resources and charity is running thin.

We’re not living in the same world prior to 2020. Drastic things need to change with the government and society in order to truly combat this, but humanity is too immature and selfish to acknowledge it. The US government gave measly $1200 to citizens thinking that’s all people needed to get by and they don’t want to give out any more because there’s this mentality that if the government keeps doing that then people will never go to work again and be lazy for the rest of their lives. The corona virus is not going to be considerate of the economy, so it’s time our economy should be considerate of the virus.
    One thing that bothers me a lot is bond haven't been much successful in US after Connery Era. SF earned 300 and SP 200 million. TB & GF earned far more adjusted to inflation, both are in top 50.
    https://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice3.html

Bond has been successful enough in the US, it’s just never been as big of a deal as in European countries. Breaking box office records like Marvel and Star Wars is never expected by Bond. That’s okay though. Bondmania may have passed a long time ago in the US but it thrives well elsewhere enough to keep going for over 50 years.
    Unhinged has been delayed to July 31st, 2020.
    Mulan has been delayed to August 21st, 2020.
    Bill & Ted 3 has been delayed to August 28th, 2020.
    Without Remorse has been delayed to February 26th, 2021.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400

I have zero clue where these films have dating themselves for August when it's so clear that the domestic box office is in no position to re-open then.

Here's the issue:
    1. Cinemas are not re-opened yet and there is no clear international roadmap to navigate when they will re-open.
    2. Hollywood studios have shut down all productions in 2020 which will have a big impact on all 2021/22 product development.

For these reasons alone, anything hoping to release this year will end up being pushed into 2021. I hate saying that. But it's true.

Furthermore, whilst the rest of the world looks to re-open, the USA has done a shocking job in stopping the spread. These films need the domestic box-office, currently they do not have that. The situation is only going to get worse in America before the winter. Which means that the country will lockdown before the election and Europe will shut down travel from the Americas to avoid a second peak.

The end of the story is this: NTTD will release in 2021 and the calendar will be pretty much open. So I guess spring/summer 2021 is on the cards.

So gutted, as this film looks amazing. Just look how iconic Craig looks here....almost getting Batman vibes! I need this action sequence!

James-Bond-25-No-Time-To-Die-Photo.jpg
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movie-theater-stocks-hit-covid-19-case-rise-reopening-uncertainty-1300581
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-cineplex-slows-theatre-reopening-plans-as-blockbuster-release-dates/

Both of these articles above mention that major cinema chains can withstand total closure until early 2021.

Is this a sign that the US box office will indeed remained closed for the of the year, thus delaying every major 2020 films to next year?

Ironically it seems that the Fast & Furious franchise may have made the best decision by immediately delaying Fast 9 to March 2021.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movie-theater-stocks-hit-covid-19-case-rise-reopening-uncertainty-1300581
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-cineplex-slows-theatre-reopening-plans-as-blockbuster-release-dates/

Both of these articles above mention that major cinema chains can withstand total closure until early 2021.

Is this a sign that the US box office will indeed remained closed for the of the year, thus delaying every major 2020 films to next year?

Ironically it seems that the Fast & Furious franchise may have made the best decision by immediately delaying Fast 9 to March 2021.

Slow and steady wins the race is certainly an irony for that series, for sure.
  • Here's a good question (yes I'm aware that the film box office market was very different in the 60s, money was worth more, and films generally ran in cinemas for months if they were very popular).

If the US market is such a crucial part of the commercial success of any big budget film, why then were DN, FRWL and GF each not released in the US until 3 - 7 months after their UK release dates? Obviously in those cases, the US box office market couldn't have been as crucial to their success as modern Bond films?

"Dr. No had its worldwide premiere at the London Pavilion, on 5 October 1962, expanding to the rest of the United Kingdom three days later. The North American premiere on 8 May 1963 was more low-profile, with 450 cinemas in Midwest and Southwest regions. On 29 May it opened in both Los Angeles and New York City – in the former as a double-bill with The Young and the Brave and the latter in United Artists' "Premiere Showcase" treatment, screening in 84 screens across the city to avoid the costly Broadway cinemas."

"From Russia with Love premiered on 10 October 1963 at the Odeon Leicester Square in London. Ian Fleming, Sean Connery and Walter Gotell attended the premiere. The following year, it was released in 16 countries worldwide, with the United States premiere on 8 April 1964, at New York's Astor Theatre."

"Goldfinger premiered at the Odeon Leicester Square in London on 17 September 1964, with general release in the United Kingdom the following day. Leicester Square was packed with sightseers and fans and police were unable to control the crowd. A set of glass doors to the cinema was accidentally broken and the premiere was shown ten minutes late because of the confusion. The United States premiere occurred on 21 December 1964, at the DeMille Theatre in New York. The film opened in 64 cinemas across 41 cities and eventually peaked at 485 screens."
    Here's a good question (yes I'm aware that the film box office market was very different in the 60s, money was worth more, and films generally ran in cinemas for months if they were very popular).

If the US market is such a crucial part of the commercial success of any big budget film, why then were DN, FRWL and GF each not released in the US until 3 - 7 months after their UK release dates? Obviously in those cases, the US box office market couldn't have been as crucial to their success as modern Bond films?

"Dr. No had its worldwide premiere at the London Pavilion, on 5 October 1962, expanding to the rest of the United Kingdom three days later. The North American premiere on 8 May 1963 was more low-profile, with 450 cinemas in Midwest and Southwest regions. On 29 May it opened in both Los Angeles and New York City – in the former as a double-bill with The Young and the Brave and the latter in United Artists' "Premiere Showcase" treatment, screening in 84 screens across the city to avoid the costly Broadway cinemas."

"From Russia with Love premiered on 10 October 1963 at the Odeon Leicester Square in London. Ian Fleming, Sean Connery and Walter Gotell attended the premiere. The following year, it was released in 16 countries worldwide, with the United States premiere on 8 April 1964, at New York's Astor Theatre."

"Goldfinger premiered at the Odeon Leicester Square in London on 17 September 1964, with general release in the United Kingdom the following day. Leicester Square was packed with sightseers and fans and police were unable to control the crowd. A set of glass doors to the cinema was accidentally broken and the premiere was shown ten minutes late because of the confusion. The United States premiere occurred on 21 December 1964, at the DeMille Theatre in New York. The film opened in 64 cinemas across 41 cities and eventually peaked at 485 screens."

There was a limited number of copies that needed to be shipped around the world. Production as well as logistics was different back then.
    Here's a good question (yes I'm aware that the film box office market was very different in the 60s, money was worth more, and films generally ran in cinemas for months if they were very popular).

Neither DN, FRWL or GF were released in the middle of a global pandemic, when cinemas had been closed for almost half of their respective release years.

And 1962 was almost 60 years ago. It isn't rocket science that the movie industry has drastically changed since then. And modern Bond films have $200+ million budgets, unlike DN and its $1 million budget. So it is a lot harder to skip the US market with budgets of this magnitude.

I feel you are really getting desperate in attempting to prove your case.