NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That’s another thing that’s encouraging, the level of enthusiasm by the filmmakers is more evident with NTTD than it was with SP.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited February 2020 Posts: 8,495
    That’s another thing that’s encouraging, the level of enthusiasm by the filmmakers is more evident with NTTD than it was with SP.

@MakeshiftPython -- Mendes wanted to walk away from the project at least a couple of times during SP...

Fukunaga is present. He's on Instagram. He is proudly selling his work.

Swagger, my friend. It's swagger.

I have a friend who is close to one of the producers at EoN (been documented on these pages before), and he has seen some of the early rushes. His description was: Mind. Blown.

So, yes, because of the team assembled and the feedback I have been getting, I think this is CR effort going into this "Swann Song" for Mr. Craig...

Edit: In short: they're not screwing around on this film.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    I reckon it will open in the US to above 80 million.

If the film really resonates with the worldwide audience it could hit a billion but it depends if the long gap between SPECTRE and NO TIME TO DIE still excites the more casual Bond fans. It's possible some people want a new actor so that could detract from the overall box office but who knows. Would be cool if another Bond film made more than the last Star Wars film. Anything is possible!
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 616
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I hope the next guy and era annoys you as much or even more.

Okay, that made me laugh.

But seriously, I'll be in the cinema opening weekend like the rest of you to witness all of this swagger and to get my mind blown. Let's just say my hopes aren't as high, but if I find it to be a worthwhile trip I'll be back here to sing the film's praises. I've actually been watching the Craig films again to prepare (even SKYFALL, which I hate), so clearly I'm excited, despite the terrible posters, trailers, and theme song. We'll see!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2020 Posts: 15,690
    2nd long range tracking: NTTD unchanged since last week when it started being tracked. $88 million opening weekend ; $269 million domestic total. This would be the biggest opening weekend of any film releasing in the US between this weekend and April 17th.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-tracking-trolls-world-tour/
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,314
    @Escalus5 - We really do live in a world of extremes these days... sigh When people say things like "The advertising for this film has been the worst ever" because they don't like a poster, frankly they're living in the dark ages. Worst ever? Really?

Billie Eilish's two videos of the song (official and Brits) have a combined total viewing of over 40 million. After less than a week. That's advertising. Its also number one in the chart in the UK. Thats also advertising.

The trailer has 3x that of Skyfall's which has been up for 8 years. Sitting pretty at around 13 million people.

Its all good, brother!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    From today on theaters and cinemas are closed in Milan due to the coronavirus spreading in the North of Italy.
    And besides China almost all of South Korea closed the cinemas aswell.

With China, South Korea and Italy that might be up to $150 million of the worldwide gross, that NTTD will miss - if it stays this way until April.

I believe MGM/Universal are thinking about pushing the movie back to the fall of 2020.
    Can be a financial disaster, if more countries close their cinemas.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Jan1985 wrote: »

With China, South Korea and Italy that might be up to $150 million of the worldwide gross, that NTTD will miss - if it stays this way until April.

I believe MGM/Universal are thinking about pushing the movie back to the fall of 2020.

Skyfall made over a $1 billion. Where on earth are you getting that $150 million figure from?

SF made $59.3 million in China, $16 million in South Korea, $17.1 million in Italy. Even if you remove those 3 countries entirely from its world-wide gross, SF still made $1 billion. Just over $1.010 billlion, to be exact.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    @DaltonCraig007 Not to mention ticket prices must have gone up since 2012.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Can’t see evidence of any push back. Where’s yours?
    NicNac wrote: »

Can’t see evidence of any push back. Where’s yours?

Also, if NTTD really missed $150 million from those 3 countries, that is nearly $60 million more than SF. Why not also assume that NTTD will out-gross SF in other territories, thus cancelling out the loss of Italy/China/South Korea? Unless @Jan1985 pulled random numbers out of a hat, then his post is meaningless. ;-)
  • Jan1985 wrote: »

Skyfall made over a $1 billion. Where on earth are you getting that $150 million figure from?

SF made $59.3 million in China, $16 million in South Korea, $17.1 million in Italy. Even if you remove those 3 countries entirely from its world-wide gross, SF still made $1 billion. Just over $1.010 billlion, to be exact.

SP:

China: $83m
    SK: $12m
    Italiy: $13m

That is $106m, and China has seen a massive increase from SF (59) to SP (83). So yes, NTTD could do ~120-150m in those countries (also with Italy featuring so prominently in the movie)

The current questions will be:
    - How does the situation look like in 6 weeks
    - Could the movie be only postponed in those countries (China typically anyway starts later, but for SK and ITA this would mean a big drop in later Box Office)
    - I assume pushing the movie back in all markets would not be a good idea. Not sure if people will still be excited in fall when they know the movie is kind of "old news"
    danielcc wrote: »

SP:

That is $106m, and China has seen a massive increase from SF (59) to SP (83). So yes, NTTD could do ~120-150m in those countries (also with Italy featuring so prominently in the movie)

- Could the movie be only postponed in those countries (China typically anyway starts later, but for SK and ITA this would mean a big drop in later Box Office)
    - I assume pushing the movie back in all markets would not be a good idea. Not sure if people will still be excited in fall when they know the movie is kind of "old news"

And NTTD is projected to make $270 million in the USA, which is a 70 million increase from SP*. $1 billion is thus safe, even without China, Italy and South Korea.

* SP made $103 million less than SF in North America. NTTD is projected to finish within $35 million of SF.
    danielcc wrote: »

SP:

Yes, it depends on the situation in other countries.
    Imagine several Corona deaths in the US. When cinemas will close in the US, will they still go ahead with an UK release?

Could also be the other way round: everything will be finde in China and South Korea in 6 weeks. Who knows?

But if the movie will lack the box office from China, South Korea and potentially Italy, and adding some more markets, then this will be a huge drop - even if the movie does well in other markets.
    Just for the record, for now cinemas are closed only in the city of Milan.
  • US domestic gross I reckon will be be 250 mill plus. But Bond isn't reliant on the US alone. He's a global icon. Also off topic having caught up with Peaky Blinders I think Cillian Murphy would be a great Bond.
    https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=493143

Whether or not it’s a good idea, Chinese theaters are set to reopen in March.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Implications for NTTD? For now, only pre-season games are impacted, but a decision is still pending on regular season games starting on March 20th. Hopefully, the worse will be over by NTTD’s April opening.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28789524/japanese-baseball-league-shuts-doors-fans-due-virus
  • Japan also just announced that all public schools would be closed for the next five weeks.

Unfortunately, I believe the likelihood of this film (and other Hollywood blockbusters) being delayed is growing by the day...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, premieres will be delayed. Take a deep breath; it will be okay. Especially for this Bond film.

Here's a copy of what I just posted elsewhere:

Note: I'm now facing a possible shut down at work for at least a month due to the virus. Am I worrying about box office for NTTD? Ummm .... no.

Look, aside from my immediate personal situation ... if I lived in Antarctica (very slim chance of getting the virus, I would say) I would STILL not be worried about box office for NTTD. Why? Because the film will do fine overall, in the long run. It will. Anybody who cannot see it at first will just be wanting more than ever to see it when they can. Keep the longer overall picture in mind, folks. It will be fine and will be judged on how good a film it is. Bond's appeal is strong enough to weather delays due to the virus.

NTTD looks to be a corker, a really smashingly good, visually stunning Bond film. It will be fine at the box office ... for EON, for all involved, for us fans.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Yeah, but what if the virus will start to really spread all over Europe and the US in the coming weeks? It would be a potential disaster for NTTD since theaters will be closed. Today even the Louvre has been closed. Looks like lot of (big) countries are gradually preparing for the obvious arrive of this emergency.

It's not a question of "if", but "when". I wouldn't automatically rule out the possibility of the film being delayed at this point.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It would hurt NTTD, but it’s going to hurt a lot of other films, some more severe like FAST & FURIOUS 9.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Goddamn it. Where is my yellow vest?
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @Benjamin_Weekly69 False alarm, it seems. By digging further, I found out they only stopped pre-sales in France because the distributor hadn't officially allowed pre-sales in France yet. Once Universal sets a date, they'll be reopened.
    Well.....here we are:

November 2019
    February 2020
    April 2020

November 2020

What now for NTTD? The new date is fine and the film will fare well. It may have some trouble from Kong v Godzilla. But the real issue will be Marvel who are due to release Eternals a few days prior internationally. This will be a problem overseas - less so in the USA which get NTTD a fortnight later. There is also a chance that Marvel push Black Widow to November which will dent NTTD. Though I do rate NTTD's chances against Eternals.

intro-1564438678.jpg

The real question is: Will NTTD be considered a much-hyped and long-overdue treat OR will it be considered a problem child that needs to be put out of its misery? We shall see come November.
    Marvel will be no threat to Bond in Europe, but maybe in Asia.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Long-overdue treat.
    In Italy theaters are officially closed in all the country at least for one month.