NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Long range tracking has the film between $70 to 100 million in the USA. Those are healthy numbers.
    • The press tour for the film begins in around 2 weeks (so soon!). Then the European roll-out commences.
    • The great advantage Bond has is that it will have been out in the Europe for over a week before it debuts in America. Which means they can flag the box office numbers overseas as a big selling point (it’s guaranteed to be huge in the UK).
    • If the reviews are good then this is just an added bonus to get US audiences excited. Though the European reviews for SP were mostly great, it was the USA who were lukewarm on it.
    • Aside from ‘Mulan’, NTTD is one of the first big blockbusters of 2020. So there is a whole audience being undernourished. This means they will be hungry when the film opens in April. There is a shocking lack of competition at the moment. It’s why family fare that looked destined to fail like ‘Sonic’ have been so successful as there is nothing else for them to see yet. Also, why ‘Bad Boys’ is doing so well. After ‘Star Wars’ there has been literally nothing for two months in cinemas to feed the young male audience.

I predict NTTD could very well be the second billion dollar Bond……..emphasis on the could

Given these reasons, I'm onboard with the $1 billion prediction. I also think it's got a fighting chance to top Skyfall in North America... especially if it opens with $100 million.
  • My only concern is with China. I don't think it will make a difference if the film is successful or not, but it could be the difference between NTTD making $1 billion or not.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    My only concern is with China. I don't think it will make a difference if the film is successful or not, but it could be the difference between NTTD making $1 billion or not.

SF made $59.3 million in China. If you remove that from its world-wide total, it still made over $1 billion.
  • 2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    My only concern is with China. I don't think it will make a difference if the film is successful or not, but it could be the difference between NTTD making $1 billion or not.

SF made $59.3 million in China. If you remove that from its world-wide total, it still made over $1 billion.
    I didn't realise Bond was that much of a non-hit in China. I knew it wasn't as big as Marvel, but I thought Chinese audiences would be much more into Bond. If that's the case, I am confident then that NTTD can reach $1 billion. I'm seeing a lot more buzz about this film from people not in the Bond-circle. Fingers crossed!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah, China isn't exactly big with Bond.

One franchise that Universal WILL be most concerned over is FAST & FURIOUS 9, as the last three entries have been even bigger hits in China than in the US.
  • Good point. Maybe so much so they will postpone that film. Wouldn't be such a bad thing.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    • Long range tracking has the film between $70 to 100 million in the USA. Those are healthy numbers.
    • The press tour for the film begins in around 2 weeks (so soon!). Then the European roll-out commences.
    • The great advantage Bond has is that it will have been out in the Europe for over a week before it debuts in America. Which means they can flag the box office numbers overseas as a big selling point (it’s guaranteed to be huge in the UK).
    • If the reviews are good then this is just an added bonus to get US audiences excited. Though the European reviews for SP were mostly great, it was the USA who were lukewarm on it.
    • Aside from ‘Mulan’, NTTD is one of the first big blockbusters of 2020. So there is a whole audience being undernourished. This means they will be hungry when the film opens in April. There is a shocking lack of competition at the moment. It’s why family fare that looked destined to fail like ‘Sonic’ have been so successful as there is nothing else for them to see yet. Also, why ‘Bad Boys’ is doing so well. After ‘Star Wars’ there has been literally nothing for two months in cinemas to feed the young male audience.

I predict NTTD could very well be the second billion dollar Bond……..emphasis on the could

Sonic is very popular and was a good film families weren't desperate.
    Chinas audience prefer more Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible... than Bond
  • The China situation is interesting as all the cinemas across the country are pretty much closed……the economy there is about to implode. There doesn’t seem to be any quick solution to the outbreak.

Speaking purely about movies, this really will impact Disney’s Mulan. Bond was always primed to be a modest success in the Middle Kingdom, but Mulan was all prepared to be a box office juggernaut. I’m curious if Disney pulls its China release……..I can’t see the coronavirus outbreak being any less dire in a months’ time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I’m curious if Disney pulls its China release……..I can’t see the coronavirus outbreak being any less dire in a months’ time.

I doubt it, that would mean no China release until 2021, and Chinese are very big on piracy. The film would be on Blu-Ray in North America and Europe months before a China release, so piracy would be rampant by then. Disney's only hope to gross money in China is to release it as normally planned, hoping people manage to show up.
    The surest way for those films to theoretically succeed in China is if they postpone the release worldwide, thus avoid issues of piracy as they’ll have it on hold until the coronavirus is subsided. That would cost plenty, but that all depends on how important they believe China is.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I’m curious if Disney pulls its China release……..I can’t see the coronavirus outbreak being any less dire in a months’ time.

I doubt it, that would mean no China release until 2021, and Chinese are very big on piracy. The film would be on Blu-Ray in North America and Europe months before a China release, so piracy would be rampant by then. Disney's only hope to gross money in China is to release it as normally planned, hoping people manage to show up.

This is it. Very much a rock and a hard place situation.
    The surest way for those films to theoretically succeed in China is if they postpone the release worldwide, thus avoid issues of piracy as they’ll have it on hold until the coronavirus is subsided. That would cost plenty, but that all depends on how important they believe China is.

Universal probably blew their load early, since advanced ticket sales for Fast 9 started when they released the trailer in January, when the coronavirus was ongoing for a month already.
    NO TIME TO DIE will do very well financially for three reasons: Public interest in seeing Craig's last Bond film, the five-year gap since the last one, and the Billie Eilish theme. It will even (probably) have legs, although I'm doubtful as to whether it makes 1 billion.

EON and the studio will be lucky, because the advertising has been the worst ever for a Bond film, especially those hideous posters.

As for the film itself, expect mediocrity.
    I would expect it to make £1bn. I have a good feeling. It’s based on nothing other than that but the stars seem to be aligning.

Billie Eilish song has been well received particularly with a demographic that skews younger than the average bond cinema goer

There is no bad press handing around like a millstone (unlike the Sony leaks)

Daniel Craig and the cast and crew seem genuinely excited. (He won’t make another mistake like THAT quite this time)

It’s been a long time since the last one

Extreme goodwill to the franchise and Craig’s last film

Cinema tickets are more expensive than 2012.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    NO TIME TO DIE will do very well financially for three reasons: Public interest in seeing Craig's last Bond film, the five-year gap since the last one, and the Billie Eilish theme. It will even (probably) have legs, although I'm doubtful as to whether it makes 1 billion.

EON and the studio will be lucky, because the advertising has been the worst ever for a Bond film, especially those hideous posters.

I disagree with most of this. It’s more than a month before release, and there’s already been significant buzz generated by advertising during the Super Bowl, Oscars and NBA All-Star game. Marketing partners range from Heineken to the Royal Mail, and the hottest singer on the planet is doing press for the movie. People are already hailing this film as one of the best, if not the best, looking Bond film ever. The film is already projected to make upwards of $100m opening weekend. Let us know how you feel about the marketing on March 31st.
    I strongly believe NTTD will be a strong and succesfull film, and that Craig will end his tenure on a high. Wether it will go beyond the 1 billion mark or finish just beneath it... I don't really care.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Escalus5 wrote: »

You are forgetting that this isn't 2012, we have so many YouTubers now who are promoting the film for EON. We will have more younger fans this time in theatres as well.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    The buzz surrounding the film is very positive so far. Already we've seen a 180 from the initial tabloid press about how "cursed" the production was and it was destined to fail. Even though SPECTRE didn't fare as well as Skyfall, it still did decently considering the average reviews and negative buzz from Craig's infamous comments.

So as long as the cast and crew continue to spread some good karma and the initial reviews are decent, then I see no reason why this film won't surpass $1 billion. I think Billie Eilish's fanbase could do it alone!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The Anti Craig brigade is out to try pour some doom on others optimism.

I mean seriously how much bitterness.

I hope the next guy and era annoys you as much or even more.
    The Anti-Craig brigade, really ??

I hope actually that Craigs leaves the franchise with a bang and decent movie, he deserves it, and frankly the BO doesn't interest me so much. It will be hurt by the current scare of the Corona virus . It will hurt quite a lot of releases but in the end it does not say anything about the quality of the movie.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,043
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Anti-Craig brigade, really ??

I hope actually that Craigs leaves the franchise with a bang and decent movie, he deserves it, and frankly the BO doesn't interest me so much. It will be hurt by the current scare of the Corona virus . It will hurt quite a lot of releases but in the end it does not say anything about the quality of the movie.

When people come on here and say " as for the film expect mediocrity, well I just look at that as baiting and yes anti Craig. There are other ways to express yourself yet we are starting to get some very bitter and not very subtle comments arriving.

I make no secret of hating the last film so I don't think the era is perfect but you aren't exactly much of a fan of it yourself and you make no secret of the fact which is your prerogative.

QOB etc. etc.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes definitely strange when someone who hasn’t seen a film tells all of us to expect mediocrity. Based on what?

This production is showing nothing but swagger. They are releasing trailers and spots with confidence and have been rewarded with Buzz. The theme song drops and they planned for the artists to be on the Brit awards a week later. Bond has shown up on the Super Bowl (with rave feedback), as well as the NBA All Star Game. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get a second trailer because we don’t need one. The marketing has got the word out and the appropriate reaction has followed: this is a highly anticipated film.

Creatively, this may be one of the strongest productions to stand in front of and behind the camera: Craig, Ana, Lea, Waltz, Malek, Wright, Fiennes, Ben, Billy...... Sandgren and Fukunaga, Billie and Zimmer....

Why would anyone expect mediocrity???
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,043
    Based on bitterness that the character isn't what they'd like it to be.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Pretty much like this blogger: http://n007.thegoldeneye.com/index.html
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Funny, I see people criticize Brosnan and Moore all the time and nobody bats an eye but the second Craig gets criticized. "They are just bitter trolls!" 8-|
    Shardlake wrote: »

Pretty much like this blogger: http://n007.thegoldeneye.com/index.html

He sounds like a right......
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Murdock wrote: »
    Funny, I see people criticize Brosnan and Moore all the time and nobody bats an eye but the second Craig gets criticized. "They are just bitter trolls!" 8-|

Not really Murdock, but when I’m told to expect mediocrity, I’d just like to know what this is based on, coz right now this team is walking with swagger. They know they have a monster hit on their hands.

So it’s interesting when I’m told to expect something quite a bit less. Where does this idea of expecting mediocrity come from? More likely a dislike of this era and not coming to terms that Daniel Craig is still James Bond all these years later, would be my guess.
    peter wrote: »

Not really Murdock, but when I’m told to expect mediocrity, I’d just like to know what this is based on, coz right now this team is walking with swagger. They know they have a monster hit on their hands.

So it’s interesting when I’m told to expect something quite a bit less. Where does this idea of expecting mediocrity come from? More likely a dislike of this era and not coming to terms that Daniel Craig is still James Bond all these years later, would be my guess.

Right @peter

@Murdock there's a difference between criticizing long established films by Moore and Brosnan and doing the same to a film you haven’t even seen yet.

Besides, SPECTRE gets a ton of flack here, so this notion that you can’t bash Craig’s films without being branded a troll is quite unfounded.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

Right @peter

@Murdock there's a difference between criticizing long established films by Moore and Brosnan and doing the same to a film you haven’t even seen yet.

Besides, SPECTRE gets a ton of flack here, so this notion that you can’t bash Craig’s films without being branded a troll is quite unfounded.

Quite right @MakeshiftPython ! Spectre is in my bottom three films (whereas Craig's other films sit comfortably in my top 8).

@Shardlake is passionate about this Era, but he is also passionate with his dislike, displeasure, and all round loathing for Spectre... We know the era hasn't been perfect. But one film doesn't mar the entire series for the likes of us-- nor this Era, which has given us much happiness with their other efforts.

And from what we've seen by the creative forces behind this film (as mentioned above, but also including CJF as writer with PWB, and Scott Burns), it looks like the effort to give Craig's final film the same kick his first film had seems quite evident.

But that will still not be enough for some who expect, at best, mediocrity.