NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2020 Posts: 15,690
    I sincerely doubt Godzilla vs Kong will pose any kind of thread against NTTD. Kong: Skull Island didn't reach $600 million world-wide, and last year's Godzilla: King of the Monsters struggled to go above $350 million world-wide. I very much had fun watching both of these films, and am looking forward to Godzilla vs Kong, but NTTD will totally wipe the floor with it. I even wouldn't rule out the film moving to early 2021, as Bond and Marvel's The Eternals will damage its box office chances. And WB aren't having a good 12 months. Birds of Prey, Doctor Sleep, Shazam, Godzilla 2 and Detective Pikachu all massively underperformed.
    I sincerely doubt Godzilla vs Kong will pose any kind of thread against NTTD. Kong: Skull Island didn't reach $600 million world-wide, and last year's Godzilla: King of the Monsters struggled to go above $350 million world-wide. I very much had fun watching both of these films, and am looking forward to Godzilla vs Kong, but NTTD will totally wipe the floor with it. I even wouldn't rule out the film moving to early 2021, as Bond and Marvel's The Eternals will damage its box office chances. And WB aren't having a good 12 months. Birds of Prey, Doctor Sleep, Shazam, Godzilla 2 and Detective Pikachu all massively underperformed.

Shazam actually did quite well considering the character is not well known and a sequel is going to be filming soon.Also there was a little movie that came out a few months ago called Joker which made over a billion dollars.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Shazam actually did quite well considering the character is not well known and a sequel is going to be filming soon.Also there was a little movie that came out a few months ago called Joker which made over a billion dollars.

I’ve never heard of this Joker film. What is it about?
    Italy is now locked down.

How many countries will follow Italy’s lead?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/italy-lockdown-coronavirus_n_5e66ab53c5b605572809d54d
    They are cancelling events left and right atm. Just now Serie A got shut down until 2 April. I think the delay of No Time to Die was the correct decision.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    EON/MGM made the right call. As a result, NTTD will likely end up #1 at the bo for 2020.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am also convinced they did make the right thing to postpone the movie. I just hope it won‘t leak before that. And I wish Daniel Craig, EoN and especially us fans a blast of a finale. Can‘t wait. But for now I am sure it was the right move by EoN and MGM.
    NTTD is no longer the only wide US release to be delayed: Peter Rabbit 2 has bee pushed back from April 3 to August 7, 2020.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/peter-rabbit-2-pushed-august-coronavirus-fears-1283449?
    TripAces wrote: »
    EON/MGM made the right call. As a result, NTTD will likely end up #1 at the bo for 2020.

Given the current circumstances and how April is anticipated to be worse, I think they did the right thing. Though I’m still in turmoil that it happened in the first place.
    NTTD is no longer the only wide US release to be delayed: Peter Rabbit 2 has bee pushed back from April 3 to August 7, 2020.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/peter-rabbit-2-pushed-august-coronavirus-fears-1283449?

In these circumstances, Mulan is really the canary in the mine. If that film dies, than others will dramatically vacate and we could have the quietest summer season. I kinda hope that others don’t move, as they’ll only get in NTTD’s way in November.

But the big risks currently are: Black Widow, Wonder Woman 1984, Tenet and Fast 9.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 4,024

Given the current circumstances and how April is anticipated to be worse, I think they did the right thing. Though I’m still in turmoil that it happened in the first place.

In these circumstances, Mulan is really the canary in the mine. If that film dies, than others will dramatically vacate and we could have the quietest summer season. I kinda hope that others don’t move, as they’ll only get in NTTD’s way in November.

But the big risks currently are: Black Widow, Wonder Woman 1984, Tenet and Fast 9.

Is Mulan definitely not moving?
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 3,164
    vzok wrote: »

The film had its first press screenings and world premiere already, and with tickets on sale for a good few weeks, so US release almost definitely not moving. China has been postponed with a new date TBA...
    vzok wrote: »

Sales for the previews on the 25th in Germany started already.
    So it would be the same situation as with Bond, when they stop it now.
    I believe it will go ahead.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

NTTD dodged some serious competition there.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So there will be no return to the Happy Feet challenge of many years prior.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    I can't see NTTD doing poor or average box office. I feel most film goers will want to see how the Craig era ends, how the loose plot-ends tie up. What happens to Bond, Madeleine, what is Safin's link to SPECTRE and Blofeld, what secret does Blofeld have to exploit Bond? Does James Bond actually die at the end of the film?

I think there's enough plot interest to guarantee major box office. If there is a major tonal shift and we see Bond playing second fiddle to a female 007 I can imagine a box office backlash but I can't see that happening. Babs and MG know Bond is the star of Bond films. They won't risk making Bond too emasculated. They're smart producers when it comes to protecting Bond's box office.

Another reason to be positive - it's back to a November release. April would have been a riskier release date. How much, who knows, but we all know November is a strong month to release a James Bond film (assuming coronavirus hasn't taken over the world!).
    For all we know the CV situation could be even worse in November!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Very well could be the case, and no doubt the film industry would be responding as a whole and not just EON. If it gets even worse by then, I don’t think NTTD will be the only film to get an indefinite delay.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,043

No reason to release the film now or in the next few months when countries have closed their cinemas and other countries are reporting low attendance figures due to people avoiding areas with lots of people gathered together.

Yes it could get worse but then again I'm sure EON will re-evaluate the situation nearer the time, they will be far from the only ones to do it if this gets worse by then.

This isn't about Bond fans not getting their film on its release date, the stakes are much bigger than that.

The effects of this under performing at the worldwide box office could have catastrophic results on the future of the series, this is most likely the most expensive film of the year it needs to be a hit.

Putting this back to November is sound financial sense.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's baffling that people need the delay in release explained to them. Certainties of the now versus the maybes of the future. It's a non-argument.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Shardlake wrote: »

No reason to release the film now or in the next few months when countries have closed their cinemas and other countries are reporting low attendance figures due to people avoiding areas with lots of people gathered together.

Yes it could get worse but then again I'm sure EON will re-evaluate the situation nearer the time, they will be far from the only ones to do it if this gets worse by then.

This isn't about Bond fans not getting their film on its release date, the stakes are much bigger than that.

The effects of this under performing at the worldwide box office could have catastrophic results on the future of the series, this is most likely the most expensive film of the year it needs to be a hit.

“Yeah but I want to complain more about EON and how they ruined the franchise forever!”
  • RC7RC7
    It's baffling that people need the delay in release explained to them. Certainties of the now versus the maybes of the future. It's a non-argument.

I might log out of the site for a while. Feel like it’s been infected by grade A morons and having to read this shite for the next 8 months isn’t for me.
    RC7 wrote: »

I might log out of the site for a while. Feel like it’s been infected by grade A morons and having to read this shite for the next 8 months isn’t for me.

I completely understand. It was inevitable.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A bit OT, but to update (as of 9:45 PM EST):

1. The US has suspended all travel with Europe (except the UK) for 30 days https://www.yahoo.com/gma/president-trump-deliver-prime-time-statement-coronavirus-001259240.html
    2. The National Basketball Association (NBA) has suspended all league games after one of its’ players tested positive. https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/nba-suspends-season-due-coronavirus/story?id=69547659&cid=social_twitter_abcn
    3. Actor Tom Hanks has tested positive https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/media/tom-hanks-coronavirus.html
    Anglo supremacy.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Dwayne wrote: »
    A bit OT, but to update (as of 9:45 PM EST):

1. The US has suspended all travel with Europe (except the UK) for 30 days https://www.yahoo.com/gma/president-trump-deliver-prime-time-statement-coronavirus-001259240.html
    2. The National Basketball Association (NBA) has suspended all league games after one of its’ players tested positive. https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/nba-suspends-season-due-coronavirus/story?id=69547659&cid=social_twitter_abcn
    3. Actor Tom Hanks has tested positive https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/media/tom-hanks-coronavirus.html

Not OT at all. We are seeing, day by day, that EON was ahead of this thing.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Yep they can't take any risks now.
  • For all we know the CV situation could be even worse in November!

Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say on here - I don't think some of us would be quite so blasé if the film were to be delayed again in November.

With all of these films being delayed, shall we go to the extreme end of the spectrum and just shut down cinemas worldwide until the new year? How many people on here would actually be happy with that?
  • RyanRyan Canada
    If things are generally okay by the time November rolls around, then No Time To Die's box office might still be considered one of the better performing films of the year even if the results are lukewarm by Bond standards.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,034

Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say on here - I don't think some of us would be quite so blasé if the film were to be delayed again in November.

With all of these films being delayed, shall we go to the extreme end of the spectrum and just shut down cinemas worldwide until the new year? How many people on here would actually be happy with that?

This is a hypothetical with an obvious answer. It serves no purpose, because at the end of it all, the April release date is right in the middle of a time where theatres in several sizeable markets are closed.

I don't think anyone is being blasé about it. Most are disappointed but understanding. Everyone has been waiting for the film for five years. Some of us just don't have a sense of entitlement about it. Nobody is happy - to suggest as such is disingenuous.
    Ryan wrote: »
    If things are generally okay by the time November rolls around, then No Time To Die's box office might still be considered one of the better performing films of the year even if the results are lukewarm by Bond standards.

If Black Widow and Wonder Woman suffer, NTTD has a good shout at being the top grossing film of the year.
  • In regards to the cinema comment, I know this is a very serious - unprecedented - situation but the media (by and large) are presenting this as a 'sky is falling, end of the world' scenario and constantly fearmongering about it, which in turn fuels public panic and hysteria. As I've said before, you can't just shut down the outside world for the next year, have everyone stay inside and then be barraged with constant news updates - that would just fuel the public's anxieties all the more. People need healthy distractions (such as films in general, not just Bond films) and cinemas aren't nearly as likely to spread a virus around as concerts, festivals, large sporting events or international airports.

The world will recover from this - if we act with caution but also keep on with our daily lives and interests as much as possible, that will make this period earlier. Fearmongering and cynicism / pessimism about this will just make it feel worse and make the time in this situation feel even longer than it need be. I am just fed up with reading, hearing, listening to news about it. The Bond delay has made it feel personal to me. Petty - yes. Entitled - yes. But that's my honest feeling about it.