R.I.P. A Final Farewell To Members Of The James Bond Family

13334353638

Comments

  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,862
    Not the best Moneypenny, but still any loss to the Bond family is a sad one.

    RIP.

    Thanks for sharing @mtm
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 17,781
    Sad to hear of the death of Pamela Salem. 🌹
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Posts: 13,894
    She was also one of a number of people to cross over from Bond to Doctor Who (or vice versa). She played a memorable part in 'Remembrance Of The Daleks' (1988).

    p00y09j8.jpg

    RIP
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Posts: 6,777
    RIP Pamela Salem, another Miss Moneypenny gone :(
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Posts: 23,263
    R.I.P. Alec Mills a great talent and contributor to the series.

    R.I.P. Pamela Salem here as Toos with Leela in Doctor Who The Robot's of Death.
    p00vfj9q.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,449
    Always sad losing a member of the Bond family and I always admired her take on the character, as brief as it was, in NSNA. RIP Pamela.
  • Posts: 6,799
    R.I.P. Pamela Salem.
    I always thought she wasnt half bad as Moneypenny, and had good chemistry with Connery!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,524
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    R.I.P. Pamela Salem.
    I always thought she wasnt half bad as Moneypenny, and had good chemistry with Connery!

    RIP Pamela Salem.
    I love how she said "Oh!" when he talked about eliminating all free radicals.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 17,781
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    R.I.P. Pamela Salem.
    I always thought she wasnt half bad as Moneypenny, and had good chemistry with Connery!

    RIP Pamela Salem.
    I love how she said "Oh!" when he talked about eliminating all free radicals.

    Yes, that was a great little moment. Always makes me smile when I think about it. :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,921
    Benny wrote: »
    Not the best Moneypenny, but still any loss to the Bond family is a sad one.

    RIP.

    Thanks for sharing @mtm

    👍
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 8,473
    Late to the party. Thanks @mtm … I don’t know what it was about Ms.Salem, but even when I was a young kid, I always liked her as Moneypenny, even in such a short appearance. I don’t know if it was her voice, presence, that little tux-like shirt and bow-tie, or all of it.

    She made an impression.

    RIP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,921
    I knew her more from her other work funnily enough, where she often radiated a sense of sort of sophisticated intelligence. I thought she was very good, and good casting as Moneypenny too.
  • Posts: 1,453
    peter wrote: »
    Late to the party. Thanks @mtm … I don’t know what it was about Ms.Salem, but even when I was a young kid, I always liked her as Moneypenny, even in such a short appearance. I don’t know if it was her voice, presence, that little tux-like shirt and bow-tie, or all of it.

    She made an impression.

    RIP.

    Check her out with Connery in The First Great Train Robbery, a very good film, and they had great chemistry, hence why Connery recommended her for the role of Moneypenny, which I think she did really well. I believe there were two more scenes with her and Connery which hit the cutting room floor. Would love to see them.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 8,473
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Late to the party. Thanks @mtm … I don’t know what it was about Ms.Salem, but even when I was a young kid, I always liked her as Moneypenny, even in such a short appearance. I don’t know if it was her voice, presence, that little tux-like shirt and bow-tie, or all of it.

    She made an impression.

    RIP.

    Check her out with Connery in The First Great Train Robbery, a very good film, and they had great chemistry, hence why Connery recommended her for the role of Moneypenny, which I think she did really well. I believe there were two more scenes with her and Connery which hit the cutting room floor. Would love to see them.

    Thanks again @ColonelSun … I haven’t seen The First Great Train Robbery in years… I know what I’ll be watching tonight!
  • Posts: 1,453
    peter wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Late to the party. Thanks @mtm … I don’t know what it was about Ms.Salem, but even when I was a young kid, I always liked her as Moneypenny, even in such a short appearance. I don’t know if it was her voice, presence, that little tux-like shirt and bow-tie, or all of it.

    She made an impression.

    RIP.

    Check her out with Connery in The First Great Train Robbery, a very good film, and they had great chemistry, hence why Connery recommended her for the role of Moneypenny, which I think she did really well. I believe there were two more scenes with her and Connery which hit the cutting room floor. Would love to see them.

    Thanks again @ColonelSun … I haven’t seen The First Great Train Robbery in years… I know what I’ll be watching tonight!

    Enjoy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,449
    I can't find a link but just saw MI6 post on Facebook about the unfortunate passing of Yvonne Shima, who played Sister Lily (one of my favorite minor characters) in DN.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 17,781
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I can't find a link but just saw MI6 post on Facebook about the unfortunate passing of Yvonne Shima, who played Sister Lily (one of my favorite minor characters) in DN.

    That's sad. Those two nurses were great characters taken from the novel. The way they knew all about Bond and his clothes measurements etc. was rather creepy in a "we've been expecting you" kind of way. There's a nice juxtaposition between their superficial niceness and the creepiness of their foreknowledge.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,449
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I can't find a link but just saw MI6 post on Facebook about the unfortunate passing of Yvonne Shima, who played Sister Lily (one of my favorite minor characters) in DN.

    That's sad. Those two nurses were great characters taken from the novel. The way they knew all about Bond and his clothes measurements etc. was rather creepy in a "we've been expecting you" kind of way. There's a nice juxtaposition between their superficial niceness and the creepiness of their foreknowledge.

    Those two really do strike that great balance between warm hosts and sinister underlings in a lot of ways. Subtle but effective.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,921
    Dan Goozee, the legendary artist behind the superb posters for Moonraker, A View To a Kill, Octopussy and many other great movies, has sadly passed away.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,862
    mtm wrote: »
    Dan Goozee, the legendary artist behind the superb posters for Moonraker, A View To a Kill, Octopussy and many other great movies, has sadly passed away.

    Creator of many great posters, the three mentioned are all fantastic.
    RIP
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    edited April 10 Posts: 4,102
    Benny wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Dan Goozee, the legendary artist behind the superb posters for Moonraker, A View To a Kill, Octopussy and many other great movies, has sadly passed away.

    Creator of many great posters, the three mentioned are all fantastic.
    RIP

    Yes, his posters had style. Unlike the last couple DC ones. BORING when it’s just Bond (and maybe one other character) on his own. He will be missed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,921
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Dan Goozee, the legendary artist behind the superb posters for Moonraker, A View To a Kill, Octopussy and many other great movies, has sadly passed away.

    Creator of many great posters, the three mentioned are all fantastic.
    RIP

    BORING when it’s just Bond (and maybe one other character) on his own.

    Not always: Mr Goozee made it work.

    si-471444.jpg_widthcm-51.9663512092534_heightcm-100_croppedwidthcm-31.9663512092534_croppedheightcm-80_maxdim-1000.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 17,781
    mtm wrote: »
    Dan Goozee, the legendary artist behind the superb posters for Moonraker, A View To a Kill, Octopussy and many other great movies, has sadly passed away.

    Sad to hear that. Those old painted film posters were great and certainly much better than anything we've gotten since LTK onwards.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,449
    What a loss, those encompassed some of my favorite posters from the series. The man had a recognizable style that really clicked with me all throughout my life.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    Posts: 76
    Is there any photographs or pictures of Dan Goozee? I really didn't know him
  • Posts: 5,800
    Will that one be enough ?

    artist-dan-goozee-passes-away-at-the-age-of-81.jpg

    And yes, I find the Craig era posters rather underwhelming, except for QOS, but of course, it's because Olga Kurylenko is in it, in that gorgeous little black dress.

    quantum-of-solace-affiche-120x160cm.jpg

    Why they changed from gorgeous painted posters to just photoshoots, I'll never know.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 17,781
    Gerard wrote: »
    Why they changed from gorgeous painted posters to just photoshoots, I'll never know.

    I was thinking that myself earlier today. I think it must've just been the fashion that other studios were moving away from painted or drawn posters to photographic ones. I think it is both a mistake and a shame that they decided to do that and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    edited April 10 Posts: 4,102
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Why they changed from gorgeous painted posters to just photoshoots, I'll never know.

    I was thinking that myself earlier today. I think it must've just been the fashion that other studios were moving away from painted or drawn posters to photographic ones. I think it is both a mistake and a shame that they decided to do that and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

    You're not alone, in that thought process. I still also like the SPECTRE poster, with Bond and Swann. Blofeld in sunglasses would have been cool to add on there as well. Enough with Bond alone on posters, you might as well have put the MI6 cast on there, as well, EON.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 23,524
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Why they changed from gorgeous painted posters to just photoshoots, I'll never know.

    I was thinking that myself earlier today. I think it must've just been the fashion that other studios were moving away from painted or drawn posters to photographic ones. I think it is both a mistake and a shame that they decided to do that and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

    You are not alone, indeed. Some of the finest art was committed to movie posters. If you ask me, the best are found in the horror and sci-fi genre. But yes, the Bonds used to have amazing poster art as well. Among my favourites are OHMSS, MR, and TLD. We mostly get actors posing nowadays. Why are the SF posters for SF and not for QOS or SP? I don't know, because there's nothing special about them. Whereas the posters for YOLT or TSWLM belong to those films. They are unique. They hint at the flavors of the film. They are like walking into a restaurant and already smelling the chef's delicious cooking. They are inviting. They speak to us. Craig merely standing there with a gun is just a Bond pose.
  • edited April 11 Posts: 2,894
    It used to be the case that film posters were almost as exciting and spectacular as the film. For example, here's a poster for YOLT:

    MV5BNDMzZmIyZWEtYWZlNi00NjNiLWFhMGEtNGNmMjgwYWFiMjUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UY2917_.jpg

    And to see how far we've fallen, here's the Blu-Ray cover:

    91ngOOdeUKL._SL1500_.jpg

    So much for progress.

    Dan Goozee didn't create the poster for YOLT but he was the last great poster artist for the Bond films and will be sorely missed as one of the last representatives of vanished tradition.
Sign In or Register to comment.