R.I.P. A Final Farewell To Members Of The James Bond Family

Comments

• MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    I've discovered "Craker" two years ago (found a DVD with two episodes), a very good surprise. I guess that Bond producers notices him in that show ?

please, can someone could join the mi6 team about the Robbie Coltrane article (a very good one, as always) and the typo error at the end ? ("The couple had two children: son Spencer in 1992, and daughter Alice in 9198."). Thank you!
    I only know him from bond and sad he died loved him in both films and love his character in the ps1 world is not enough
    I've discovered "Craker" two years ago (found a DVD with two episodes), a very good surprise. I guess that Bond producers notices him in that show ?

please, can someone could join the mi6 team about the Robbie Coltrane article (a very good one, as always) and the typo error at the end ? ("The couple had two children: son Spencer in 1992, and daughter Alice in 9198."). Thank you!

Cracker might be the best British TV series of the last 30 years or so. Best since The Sandbaggers I'd say. Coltrane could have easily played a main villain, a Goldfinger or a Blofeld (from the novel). I love Zukovsky, but sometimes I think he was wasted.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Yes, I'm sure Robbie Coltrane would've made a good serious villain. And, yes, Cracker did hit some really good, strong heights - I'm not much of a fan of Robert Carlysle, but those Cracker episodes he was in were really good and still memorable to this day.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    RIP to Robbie Coltrane, he's more known here as Hagrid from Harry Potter, few people here in my country knows him as Zukovsky.

But for me, he's much more memorable to me as Zukovsky.
  • RIP Robbie. Such a great character actor and, from everything I have read, a warm and lovable human being. My favorite non-Bond/HP role of his was from the film Mona Lisa, a terrific little noir film from 1986, directed by Neil Jordan. It stars Bob Hoskins and Robbie plays his best friend. He doesn't have a lot of scenes but he lights up the movie every time he's on screen.
    RIP Robbie Coltrane.

A tremendous talent who will be dearly missed by many! Thank you Robbie!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    RIP Michael Reed

OHMSS is definitely one of the best looking Bond films, maybe even the prettiest of them all.
    R.I.P Michael Reed
    When I watch OHMSS this Christmas, it will be with an extra poignancy!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 3,382
    What did he die of?

Edit: I've read the article, but hadn't found any.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad to hear of the death of Michael Reed.

OHMSS is a beautiful, epic and luscious looking film and Reed's cinematography, combined with Peter Hunt's masterful direction, is largely responsible for that.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    What did he die of?

I would imagine old age. Considering he was 93.
    Fantastic work on OHMSS, and also worked with Sir Roger Moore several times on the Saint and Shout At The Devil.
    RIP Michael Reed.
    Benny wrote: »
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    What did he die of?

I would imagine old age. Considering he was 93.
    Fantastic work on OHMSS, and also worked with Sir Roger Moore several times on the Saint and Shout At The Devil.
    RIP Michael Reed.

Thanks, @Benny
    It's still very fresh that it's not on any news yet, even Wikipedia still doesn't know!

52575420608_1ef02758ef_b.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What a loss, what a legend. OHMSS is by far the best looking Bond film to me.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    What a loss, what a legend. OHMSS is by far the best looking Bond film to me.

It is on English Wikipedia now, but the only source given is the one from JamesBond007se, as in this thread. I don't doubt the news, but I fail to find any other report on this anywhere, and IMDb doesn't have it yet, either. I guess they're waiting for something more reliable or authoritative.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    For 2022, I note these passings to be remembered as we start the new year.
    • Monty Norman
    • Sonny Caldinez, MWTGG
    • Kenneth Tsang, DAD
    • Robbie Coltrane, GE TWINE
    • Michael Reed, Cinematographer OHMSS

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ricou Browning has died; not only did he portray The Creature From the Black Lagoon but he also masterminded the under water sequences in Thunderball.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3752972/original-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-performer-ricou-browning-has-passed-away/
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,657
    RIP Ricou Browning. I must say that I associate his name mostly with his role as director of most (or all?) episodes of the Flipper TV series in the 1960s, and I remember that because I found his first name strange, but I also enjoyed him as The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I am, however, among those who consider the underwater scenes in Thunderball overly long, but do think it's not his fault, but the editor's (although that was Peter Hunt).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I’m a big fan of underwater scenes, and I’ve always lived TB for it.

Thank you for your excellent work on Thunderball, Never Say Never Again and The Creature from the Black Lagoon.

RIP, Mr Browning :(
    Damn, this bums me out. :(
    What a legend. RIP.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Given my love for 1950s and 1960s sci-fi, even without the Bond connection, this is really a sad day. Along with the passing of Julie Adams several years ago, the death of Ricou Browning - the gentleman who portrayed last of the classic Universal Monsters - marks the end of an era.

One of the absolute highlights of my film going experiences in recent years was seeing the 3D version of THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON on the big screen with a sold-out crowd. The underwater effects stand up even today, so it is not surprising that he was tapped to contribute to THUNDERBALL almost a decade later.
    Shutterstock_5878691e.jpg
    RIP Mr. Browning
    RIP Ricou Browning.
    Great work he did on TB. Pretty impressive, when you remember it was 1965. Still holds up well too this day.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Given my love for 1950s and 1960s sci-fi, even without the Bond connection, this is really a sad day. Along with the passing of Julie Adams several years ago, the death of Ricou Browning - the gentleman who portrayed last of the classic Universal Monsters - marks the end of an era.

One of the absolute highlights of my film going experiences in recent years was seeing the 3D version of THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON on the big screen with a sold-out crowd. The underwater effects stand up even today, so it is not surprising that he was tapped to contribute to THUNDERBALL almost a decade later.
    Shutterstock_5878691e.jpg
    RIP Mr. Browning

I saw CREATURE in 3D on a double bill with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE when I was a kid. One of the greatest nights I ever had in a movie theatre.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Respect to Ricou Browning and a great life lived.

I7IGWyc_d.webp?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&fidelity=high
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Way before the internet I had to get my information from great magazines like Famous Monsters of Filmland. I remember coming across that bit of trivia that the guy who played The Creature (in all three films) was also involved in TB. Being immersed in both fantasy worlds (Bond and Universal Monster movies), I found that to be really cool. The Creature films would show up on television once or twice a year in the '70s, but you had to wait a couple of years for the Bond films to go through rotation on ABC.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    R.I.P. Ricou Browning, the underwater mayhem in Thunderball is one of my favorite scenes in cinema, accompanied by John Barry's amazing score that scene is the best of its kind.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad to hear of the death of Ricou Browning. His underwater filming on Thunderball was exemplary and pioneering. I remember reading that he had to design his own camera to be able to film underwater.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 1,637
    also Flipper , remember seeing it early 90s......RIP Browning
    Chaim Topol has sadly passed away aged 87 after a long illness
    Best known to Bond fans for playing the memorable role of Columbia, Bonds colourful ally in the 1981 film For Your Eyes Only.
    Other notable roles in Fiddler On The Roof and Flash Gordon.
    A very likeable actor. He was great In FYEO and often ranks highly with Bond fans.
    RIP