Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

• edited October 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Dracula is whipping his horses pretty violently as they adjourn to the village to kick the monsignor's a$$.

Lee's cape lining looks impressive.

Here's a great scene:

Just as Paul is getting on the Monsignor's good side, he blows it by announcing he's an atheist and rejects the Catholic church.

Rupert Davies is great here as Paul is asked to leave. He'll be forbidden from dating Veronica Carlson.
    Looks like they'll have to sneak around, then.

I like that she disobeys her Uncle and sneaks out the window to be with the dashing Paul.
    Some wonderful matte paintings and set designs in this section.

I saw this film screened on a 16mm technicolor print last year and it was very impressive.
    The colors were amazing. I have the DVD and can attest for the most part, it does the film justice.
    I'll bet the Blu-ray is even better, though.
    Dracula attacks Barbara Ewing in the woods as she walks home in the middle of the night.

Day for night, that is.

The costumes in this film are wonderful. She is sporting a lovely purple hooded cloak.

Lee's cloak looks much tighter than the previous two films. The wide spread collar is now completely closed and the draw string is smaller. Lee original cape in HORROR was solid black unlined. From DRACULA -PRINCE OF DARKNESS onward, his cloaks had a scarlet satin lining.
    Dracula is hiding out in the sewers beneath the cafe, another great set. Reminds me of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.
    These scenes are shot with a orange/red/yellow filter framing.

The first time I saw this film was around Halloween when I was in second grade. I was really into movie monsters then. We didn't have cable and had to adjust the antenna to get a half way watchable reception. The station the Hammer horrors often aired was always difficult to get a good reception. It was good enough for me. These films aired on Friday or Saturday nights at 11pm.

The Lugosi DRACULA aired the night before with BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. This film followed Hammer's 1959 THE MUMMY. In between my Mom wanted to watch the BBC miniseries SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII, which caused me to miss the first 15 minutes or so.

Great Halloween year for a newbie Monsterkid.
    Dracula is staked and removes it from his heart. Famous scene Lee despised. I think it's great.
    Excellent climax. Great viewing of this Hammer classic.
    Okay, it's been 24 years and several months since I've seen this. Not sure how much commenting I'll do, but I've suddenly got a craving for

BATMAN FOREVER or just

FOREVER as the title reads on the screen.

I saw this summer of '95 with a group of friends who had all cheered throughout.

I just wanted to see the GOLDENEYE trailer.

At the time I didn't care much for the other Batman movies, so I wasn't in the least bit interested. I appreciate the first one now, and sometime may revisit the second one.

Did I actually ever see the second one?

Oh well.

Val Kilmer makes a joke about a drive thru.

Already I like his Bat suit very much.

He looks good.

I like his Bat suit better than any of Christian Bales, which to me, looks like the Michelin tire Roger sucked air from.
    Not sure what's going on here. Hostage situation? Tommy Lee Jones seriously hamming it up as Two-Face. Batman fighting some people.

I remember thinking this film was just as dark as Burton's, but actually looks quite colorful here.

I think the cinema I saw this in had the projector half lit.

There was a trend where I lived for movies to be lit dim.

The colors are very vibrant here.

Batman is on top of a helicopter doing his thing.

The mid '90's.

The Statue of Liberty resides in Gotham City apparently.

It must have been moved from Metropolis between 1978 and 1995.
    Here we go, Val as Bruce Wayne.

He almost has Pierce in GOLDENEYE hair.

Why do the film versions of Bruce Wayne often opt to give him longer hair? Bale also pretty much had 1980's Remington Steele hair.

I thought Tommy Lee was hamming it up, but Jim Carrey takes the cake.

The Bat nipples look a little weird.

I hereby rescind my above comments about Val's Bat suit.

Michael's was better.
    Nicole Kidman was immensely popular back then.

This movie us starting to come back to me now. It's been ages.

Jim Carrey looks like a dork.

"Caffeine will kill you!"

Holy punchline, Batman!

Lots of one liners here.
    Jim Carrey was in one of the Stacy Keach Mike Hammer television movies.

I actually prefer Carrey in more dramatic roles.

I liked THE MAJESTIC for instance.

I think I'm the only one.

Jim Carrey tosses someone to their death and then makes faces.

I'm questioning my choice of movie tonight and am a bit embarrassed I chose this one to comment.

Sticking with it, though.

Perhaps because I watched TDK a few months ago I'm a bit spoiled by Nolan's contribution?

• edited November 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Okay, here we go.

We're essentially getting a Riddler origin story. None of this I remember.

Today they would devote an entire film to this section.

Val Kilmer looks damn stylish. Black turtleneck, double breast blazer.

I used to dress like that. I need to replenish my turtleneck collection as I'm now down to one.
    Circus sequence.

Hmm.

I wish I were watching VAMPIRE CIRCUS.

I don't remember any of this.

OKAY!

The Robin origin story.

Duh!

I actually went to a cattle call...........I mean casting call for Robin.

One of my Dad's co-workers suggested I go. I didn't look anything like Robin, and I knew that. So I went against the grain and wore my best Bondian clothes.

I also hadn't gotten decent head shots. So like an idiot savant (minus the savant) I used my one and only 8x10 high school senior picture.

Sorry, Mom.

I remember we all sat in the seats while a representative from Warner Bros went on to explain that Clint Eastwood started out as a nobody and had been acting and directing for them for the past 40 years.

They also mentioned the tone of this film would be different and brighter.

Holy Color Timing, Batman!

Also it would have more humor.

I had a hard time picturing this without thinking of my hero, Adam West.
    More stylish Bruce Wayne attire. His clothes look damn good.
    Val Kilmer might be my favorite Bruce Wayne.

Here we go.............some vintage cars and Tommy Lee.

I remember the trailers for this film really emphasized Jim Carrey. He was incredibly huge at the time.

Batman drives up the building wall.

The audience cheered.
    The Riddler and Two Face hanging out.

This is pretty hokey.

I like Frank Gorshin as The Riddler better. John Astin, too.

Dick Grayson has a buzz cut and huge sideburns.

Get rid of those sideburns , taper that buzz, and he'd fit right in today.

I love Michael Gough, though. Wonderful actor from the Hammer Horrors.
    Tim Burton is a big Hammer film fan, as well as the AIP Corman/Price flicks.

I never realized Burton was a producer on this.
    "The other car"

I remember at the casting call, the Warner Bros representative described that scene and joke.

A lot of neon AVTAK title sequence colors here while Dick Grayson has a night out on the town fighting club punks.

I do like Kilmer's performance as Batman here. He doesn't do the laughable growling voice Bales did. Although Christian Bale is often considered the definitive Batman, I found him funnier than Adam West.

My favorite Batman was Mickey G's dad.

Actually, I really liked Robert Lowery from the 2nd serial.
    Dance into the fire

That fatal kiss

is all we need

This movie really reminds me of the AVTAK title sequence.

The whole movie looks like that.

Now Jim Carrey is sporting the 1995 Pierce in GOLDENEYE hairstyle.

Actually it looks like he's trying to emulate Bruce Wayne, who had just seen the trailer for GOLDENEYE and modeled his look after Pierce.

He even puts on a pair of glasses like Bruce.

Jim Carrey is pretty damn obnoxious in this movie.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Batman and Robin officially team up in what promises to be the beginning of a whole new series of films. At least for the next 2 years.

The climax is pretty action packed and very 1990's.

The credits roll and the audience cheered.

What's with this music at the end?

Segues into Seal. I remember this.

Nice song but shortened considerably in the credits for that other tune. WTF?

On the whole this was fairly entertaining, though I doubt I'd place it at the top of my Batman list. There's at least one or two Batman films I haven't seen.
    I never saw the last Christian Bale film for instance. Apparently there's some Bond homages. I should watch it some time.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Same here. It's like the one from Batman '89, only with much more emphasis on imitating the muscles of the body. Shoes with high heels too. I too prefer it to the Bale suit.

Not sure what's going on here. Hostage situation? Tommy Lee Jones seriously hamming it up as Two-Face.
    Off the top of my head I can think of at least three Jones performances in that overacted style. This one, Under Siege and Blown Away. I think he overacts decently, and can bring a sense of menace to it, but is not that good at it. Jim Carrey is of course a big overactor, but he is much more natural and successful t it.

Michael's was better.
    The nipples might be going a little too far, but I still really like the suit.

Ed Begley Jr. himself is over-the-top in that scene. Works well with Carrey. I like this scene. Also love the view of the city from that giant window.

I'm questioning my choice of movie tonight and am a bit embarrassed I chose this one to comment.

Perhaps because I watched TDK a few months ago I'm a bit spoiled by Nolan's contribution?
    I think it's just that this kitschy style of filmmaking is regrettably out of fashion. That's why we're not getting something like Moonraker these days.

How times change.

I used to dress like that. I need to replenish my turtleneck collection as I'm now down to one.
    I've never wore them. I think it's time to change that. Okay, not right now with this heat, but you know what I mean.

One of my Dad's co-workers suggested I go. I didn't look anything like Robin, and I knew that. So I went against the grain and wore my best Bondian clothes.

I also hadn't gotten decent head shots. So like an idiot savant (minus the savant) I used my one and only 8x10 high school senior picture.

Sorry, Mom.

I remember we all sat in the seats while a representative from Warner Bros went on to explain that Clint Eastwood started out as a nobody and had been acting and directing for them for the past 40 years.
    Great story.

He is pretty good. He aims for a fine balance between being stoic and being interesting, expressive. I don't know if he's my favorite though. I saw him a few months ago in The Saint. He was really good in that as well. I would've loved to see a sequel to that.

I remember the trailers for this film really emphasized Jim Carrey. He was incredibly huge at the time.
    Three major box office hits in one year!

The audience cheered.
    I love this part.

Tommy Lee trying not to be upstaged by Carrey. He told him he "can't sanction your buffoonery", yet here he is acting like a clown himself.

I like this film. My favorite of the 89-97 era is Returns. I would have usually placed Batman '89 in second place, but now I'm thinking I might prefer this one. It's fun!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Same here. It's like the one from Batman '89, only with much more emphasis on imitating the muscles of the body. Shoes with high heels too. I too prefer it to the Bale suit.

Not sure what's going on here. Hostage situation? Tommy Lee Jones seriously hamming it up as Two-Face.
    Off the top of my head I can think of at least three Jones performances in that overacted style. This one, Under Siege and Blown Away. I think he overacts decently, and can bring a sense of menace to it, but is not that good at it. Jim Carrey is of course a big overactor, but he is much more natural and successful t it.

Michael's was better.
    The nipples might be going a little too far, but I still really like the suit.

Ed Begley Jr. himself is over-the-top in that scene. Works well with Carrey. I like this scene. Also love the view of the city from that giant window.

I think it's just that this kitschy style of filmmaking is regrettably out of fashion. That's why we're not getting something like Moonraker these days.

How times change.

I've never wore them. I think it's time to change that. Okay, not right now with this heat, but you know what I mean.

Sorry, Mom.

Great story.

He is pretty good. He aims for a fine balance between being stoic and being interesting, expressive. I don't know if he's my favorite though. I saw him a few months ago in The Saint. He was really good in that as well. I would've loved to see a sequel to that.

Three major box office hits in one year!

The audience cheered.
    I love this part.

Tommy Lee trying not to be upstaged by Carrey. He told him he "can't sanction your buffoonery", yet here he is acting like a clown himself.

I like this film. My favorite of the 89-97 era is Returns. I would have usually placed Batman '89 in second place, but now I'm thinking I might prefer this one. It's fun!

I really enjoyed this viewing, considering I hadn't seen the movie since '95. The Seal song has been in my head all day, yet is only heard as the end credits are nearly over.
    Very entertaining Batman film.
    Albert Finney theme night!!!!!!!!

SCROOGE (1970)

I first saw this version on television with my Dad. He was going to college at the time and had the afternoon off. I remember our tree ( a real one) was decorated with popcorn.
    I was probably about 4 years old at the time.

Finney looks intense. He kind of reminds me of Andy Robinson in DIRTY HARRY.

Obnoxious, annoying kids are caroling at his door.
    Here we go, Nephew Fred played by Michael Medwin.............Connery's physician in NSNA.

Scrooge is being an a-hole and Fred laughs at his expense.
    He should offer Scrooge an herbal enema. That would shut him up.
    "You'll be wanting the WHOLE day off tomorrow, I suppose?"

I love the way Finney delivers that line with disdain. Wonderful.

Anyone here ever have to work on the holidays? I've had to work Independence Day, Thanksgiving.

I worked Christmas last year, but it was overnights so I had the day to spend with family.
    Still kind of sucked, though.

Today I offered to fill in some shifts, which probably would have entailed me working this Christmas. However, they were already covered, so I'll have Christmas off.

Here go............Bob Cratchit singing with his kids. Tiny Tim (Richard Beaumont) sports a very '70's bowl cut.

David Collings as Cratchit. He might be my favorite Cratchit after Kermit the Frog

Collings probably would have made a good Jonathan Harker.

Ah, Tanner's dad ( Roy Kinnear) harasses Scrooge for charity money..........

.........which leads to my favorite scene and musical number : I Hate People.

Years ago I did this song for an audition for a production of WEST SIDE STORY.
    Ended up with a decent part, too.

Ironically the monologue I chose to go with the song was from ORPHANS. A play turned into another film that happen to star Albert Finney. I hadn't realized it at the time until one of my cast members pointed it out.
    Caroling kids following Scrooge give him s**t. They steal his hat.
    I'm on Scrooge's side here.

The make up job on Finney is quite excellent. He was about 33 here and made to look older.
    He doesn't really look like an old man, but more like someone who is just aging badly. I think it's brilliant.

The wonderful Alec Guinness as Marley's ghost.

Although the 1951 Alistair Sim version is probably the most iconic, and probably the best, this one is a runner up for me. I do think the musical number at the end of this one drags on too long and Scrooge in the Santa suit was unnecessary.

I always thought Tiny Tim in the 1951 version looked to be about 15 years old.
    The special effects of Scrooge and Marley are flying are pretty good.
    I think my favorite Ghost of Christmas Past was the lovely Ann Rutherford in the 1938 Reginald Owen version.
    Here she's played by Edith Evans.

DAF's Sir Donald (Laurence Naismith) is Fezziwig.
    Here we go..............

Scrooge sees the love of his life (Suzanne Neve) dancing with his youthful self and reflects on their romance.

Genuinely heartfelt performance by Finney here.

A musical montage of romance and hanging out with Sir Donald.

........and and even more moving scene where she dumps him. He's aged a bit at this point.

The one and only woman he ever fell for, probably the only woman he ever slept with (if it even got that far) leaves him due to his aloofness and obsession with money.

That's probably enough to turn anyone into a grumpy old miser who hates Christmas.

Still, it's an incredibly touching and tear jerking performance by Finney. The score helps as well.
    The Ghost of Christmas Present (the great Kenneth More) gives Scrooge sh*t.

Now onto some lighthearted moments.
    Another great song: I Like Life

When I was a kid I pictured the Milk of Human Kindness tasting like Egg Nog.
    It's obviously intended to be wine.
    Scrooge and Christmas Present spy on Cratchit and family talking smack about Scrooge at the dinner table.

I prefer the George C. Scott version of this scene just slightly.

Here, Tim sings a little song.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 15,818
    Quite a few Bond alumni in this film. Just spotted TMWTGG;s James Cossins.

Kenneth More is easily my favorite Ghost of Christmas Present incarnation. Wonderful performance.

The Ghost of Christmas Future (Paddy Stone) wears a gray hooded costume. I like it better when it's black.

Scrooge sings and dances at his own funeral. Pretty funny scene and good song.

About 20 years ago I saw this film screened at an old cinema that had been playing classic films midnight weekends. I'd seen SUPERMAN, THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, HOUSE OF WAX, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER and others there.

This film being anamorphic scope was not projected correctly that night.
    Therefore the 2:35 image was squeezed to 1:66. Pity.
    @ToTheRight

Scrooge is easily my favorite Christmas Carol adaptation. Love Albert Finney in it.

“Is it too bright for you?” always gets me. He’s in physical pain from the brightness and the Ghost just messes with him.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @ToTheRight

Scrooge is easily my favorite Christmas Carol adaptation. Love Albert Finney in it.

“Is it too bright for you?” always gets me. He’s in physical pain from the brightness and the Ghost just messes with him.

It's my personal favorite version as well, @FoxRox.
    There's so many subtle nuances to Finney's performance. It's genuinely moving at times and funny at others.

I also have a soft spot for the 1938 MGM version, which is very streamlined. I remember watching the Finney version and Reginald Owen version back to back on Christmas Eve when I was in 3rd grade and enjoyed them both.

I didn't see the famous 1951 version until I was much older, so I don't have a sentimental attachment to that film, even though it's widely considered the best.