Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
edited May 10 in General Movies & TV Posts: 15,839
You know how this goes,but this is for any film,any comments or observations you may make while watching....but NOT BOND,we have the other original thread for that.

Personally i'm just watching Clint as Dirty Harry in the original film,kicking arse in digital wide-screen for the first time,and even in the mayor's office scene,i can see all the characters in the room,which i never had before !!

Comments while you watch peeps .....
«13456729

Comments

  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 15,839
    Bloody hell wow !!

    As Harry walks into the hot dog joint,now,due to wide screen,i can see a cinema on the right hand side of the screen,which has 'Play Misty For me' as the latest movie being shown.

    Great plug for the film by Clint and Don !!

    NEVER seen that before !
  • Posts: 6,910
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Bloody hell wow !!

    As Harry walks into the hot dog joint,now,due to wide screen,i can see a cinema on the right hand side of the screen,which has 'Play Misty For me' as the latest movie being shown.

    Great plug for the film by Clint and Don !!

    NEVER seen that before !

    I love the music as Harry orders a hot dog.

    Great idea for a thread, by the way. I'll most certainly be participating here.
  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    edited May 10 Posts: 15,839
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Bloody hell wow !!

    As Harry walks into the hot dog joint,now,due to wide screen,i can see a cinema on the right hand side of the screen,which has 'Play Misty For me' as the latest movie being shown.

    Great plug for the film by Clint and Don !!

    NEVER seen that before !

    I love the music as Harry orders a hot dog.

    Great idea for a thread, by the way. I'll most certainly be participating here.

    Thanks TTR !!

    Even the angle of the police helicopter swooping in behind Scorpio as he is about to shoot the black man on the park bench holding an ice cream is so clear and wide.

    And i love the music speeding up as the helicopter approaches the little shit.
  • Posts: 6,910
    There are so many memorable and great shots in that first DIRTY HARRY. Amazing score, too.

    I love Andy Robinson. Great lines throughout: "Hubba hubba, pig bastard".

    Later on in the film when he corners Clint, and says " I'm going to let her die!" I love how he punctuates it with: "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!"

    Sometimes if I'm telling a friend some news or titbit of information, I'll add "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!!!!" in my best Andy Robinson voice.
  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 15,839
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    There are so many memorable and great shots in that first DIRTY HARRY. Amazing score, too.

    I love Andy Robinson. Great lines throughout: "Hubba hubba, pig bastard".

    Later on in the film when he corners Clint, and says " I'm going to let her die!" I love how he punctuates it with: "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!"

    Sometimes if I'm telling a friend some news or titbit of information, I'll add "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!!!!" in my best Andy Robinson voice.

    Hahhaha i just did the same thing at work yesterday..i just randomly said the Hubba Hubba line...absolutely no reason at all.

    Andy Robinson is one of the best villains i have ever seen in film,i dont think he ever played a villain like that again,maybe in Hellraiser,i cant remember.
  • Posts: 6,910
    barryt007 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    There are so many memorable and great shots in that first DIRTY HARRY. Amazing score, too.

    I love Andy Robinson. Great lines throughout: "Hubba hubba, pig bastard".

    Later on in the film when he corners Clint, and says " I'm going to let her die!" I love how he punctuates it with: "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!"

    Sometimes if I'm telling a friend some news or titbit of information, I'll add "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!!!!" in my best Andy Robinson voice.

    Hahhaha i just did the same thing at work yesterday..i just randomly said the Hubba Hubba line...absolutely no reason at all.

    Andy Robinson is one of the best villains i have ever seen in film,i dont think he ever played a villain like that again,maybe in Hellraiser,i cant remember.

    He's also great in scenes where he's taking a pounding. He gets thrashed in DIRTY HARRY and also by Joe Don Baker in CHARLEY VARRICK.

    In the DVD extras for DH, there's a great interview with him, where he mentions the countless times guys (it's ALWAYS a guy), have come up to him and quoted the "Do I Feel Lucky" speech in it's entirety. Great stuff!
  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 15,839
    How the frick did Harry miss Scorpio on the church roof.....gutted.
  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 15,839
    Is the big cement cross still there at the San Francisco park Harry goes to ? anyone know ?
  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 15,839
    That scream Scorpio lets out as harry knifes his thigh is chilling...totall insane..
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns Eye of the Tiger
    Posts: 5,326
    Dirty Harry is awesome in HD
  • Posts: 2,219
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Later on in the film when he corners Clint, and says " I'm going to let her die!" I love how he punctuates it with: "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!"

    Sometimes if I'm telling a friend some news or titbit of information, I'll add "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!!!!" in my best Andy Robinson voice.
    :))

    But seriously, for my money, that's the tensest moment in the film. At night in the middle of nowhere, alone with a psychopath and losing consciousness. Scary stuff.

    Two more things to comment on:
    - Lt. Bressler appears to be very excited about Chico getting an assignment. Look at his face as Harry and Chico leave his office.

    - Harry asks if the ransom money was counted and the chief answers it's not his job to do it. Thanks for being so cooperative, chief.
  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 15,839
    mattjoes wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Later on in the film when he corners Clint, and says " I'm going to let her die!" I love how he punctuates it with: "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!"

    Sometimes if I'm telling a friend some news or titbit of information, I'll add "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!!!!" in my best Andy Robinson voice.
    :))

    But seriously, for my money, that's the tensest moment in the film. At night in the middle of nowhere, alone with a psychopath and losing consciousness. Scary stuff.

    Two more things to comment on:
    - Lt. Bressler appears to be very excited about Chico getting an assignment. Look at his face as Harry and Chico leave his office.

    - Harry asks if the ransom money was counted and the chief answers it's not his job to do it. Thanks for being so cooperative, chief.

    thats so modern PC ahead of its time....."Its not my job".

  • barryt007barryt007 Hunting Kara Milovy with a massive elephant gun.
    Posts: 15,839
    Its weird when you think that Dirty Harry ended in a coal mine in 1971 ,and DAF was supposed to be in a salt mine for the ending,in 1971 too.
  • Posts: 6,910
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Is the big cement cross still there at the San Francisco park Harry goes to ? anyone know ?

    Yes. I believe so.

    A friend of mine went to San Francisco a few years back and visited the cross.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Later on in the film when he corners Clint, and says " I'm going to let her die!" I love how he punctuates it with: "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!"

    Sometimes if I'm telling a friend some news or titbit of information, I'll add "I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT!!!!" in my best Andy Robinson voice.
    :))

    But seriously, for my money, that's the tensest moment in the film. At night in the middle of nowhere, alone with a psychopath and losing consciousness. Scary stuff.

    Two more things to comment on:
    - Lt. Bressler appears to be very excited about Chico getting an assignment. Look at his face as Harry and Chico leave his office.

    - Harry asks if the ransom money was counted and the chief answers it's not his job to do it. Thanks for being so cooperative, chief.

    I love Clint's reaction. Great scene as Harry is getting ready to be bounced around town. Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was white as snow.
  • Posts: 6,910
    Looks like a storm is on it's way, it's getting late, I'm in a secluded village so it's time for............


    DRACULA (1931)

  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CA
    Posts: 23,469
    Excellent choice!
  • Posts: 6,910
    Titles- Swan Lake plays over the credits.
    The blu-ray has corrected a jump in the film here.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns Eye of the Tiger
    Posts: 5,326
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Looks like a storm is on it's way, it's getting late, I'm in a secluded village so it's time for............


    DRACULA (1931)

    I need to buy the early Universal horror movies, incredibly atmospheric.
  • Posts: 6,910
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Excellent choice!

    Thanks. One of my favorites.

    Beautiful matte painting of the Carpathian Mountains opens this classic.

    Dwight Frye as Renfield is warned not to go to Castle Dracula.
    Why this version has the Renfield character travel to meet the Count instead of Jonathan Harker is beyond me. Perhaps because this is a filmed adaptation of the Hamilton Deane play rather than the novel?

    Anyway I don't mind. Dwight Frye remains, IMO the definitive Renfield.
  • Posts: 6,910
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Looks like a storm is on it's way, it's getting late, I'm in a secluded village so it's time for............


    DRACULA (1931)

    I need to buy the early Universal horror movies, incredibly atmospheric.

    I love that period in film history.
  • Posts: 6,910
    Not long here before we see the Count himself...................great shots of the Castle and underground basement.
  • Posts: 6,910
    Bela is dressed in ALL black here underneath that cape. He puts on what looks like a Navy Pea-coat and hoodie.
  • Posts: 6,910
    The fog as Renfield is dropped of at the Borgo Pass is amazing. I wonder if that spot at Universal Studios still exists?
  • Posts: 6,910
    Another beautiful matte painting of the Castle as the carriage travels the rocky mountainside. The Coppola version of this scene was a nice homage.
  • Posts: 6,910
    I love black and white cinematography.
  • Posts: 6,910
    The famous line........

    I AM ..........DRACULA
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns Eye of the Tiger
    edited May 11 Posts: 5,326
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Looks like a storm is on it's way, it's getting late, I'm in a secluded village so it's time for............


    DRACULA (1931)

    I need to buy the early Universal horror movies, incredibly atmospheric.

    I love that period in film history.

    I grew up watching the Hammer Horror films, and watched films from the 30's and 40's after, the earlier films just had something you could never recreate. Off tangent that's why the early Hitchcock films were so great pre Hollywood, cinema was in its infancy with no expectation which led to greatness.
  • Posts: 6,910
    Jack Pierce was the make-up artist at Universal in those days. He designed all the classic Universal Monsters: The Mummy, The Wolf Man and of course the Frankenstein Monster.

    He could have made up Lugosi to look closer to the character in the novel, and I imagine Bela would have had a similar look to what he wore in WHITE ZOMBIE.
    Instead, it was decided to stick with the image of the Broadway play. Evening attire, white tie and tails, and of course the cape. The stand up collar was created to hide the actor as he disappeared thru a trap door during the stage production. Then the bat on a wire would appear.

    Pierce gave Bela a slight frontal toupee to accentuate the widow's peak. IMO, Bela's natural hairline looked better.

    In some stage productions, Dracula was given a greenish hue to his face. While Lugosi was performing on Broadway, the "other" Dracula, Raymond Huntley performed in London, and I believe Los Angeles. Huntley wore the greenish make-up.

    Some sources say Pierce commissioned Max Factor to create a greenish make up for Bela here. I have yet to find a film historian that can prove this as fact. Many on the horror film boards side with the opinion Bela's greasepaint here was more natural.
    His make up looks subdued. In the Abbott and Costello film, though he's wearing far more greasepaint.



  • Posts: 6,910
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Looks like a storm is on it's way, it's getting late, I'm in a secluded village so it's time for............


    DRACULA (1931)

    I need to buy the early Universal horror movies, incredibly atmospheric.

    I love that period in film history.

    I grew up watching the Hammer Horror films, and watched films from the 30's and 40's after, the earlier films just had something you could never recreate. Off tangent that's why the early Hitchcock films were so great pre Hollywood, cinema was in its infancy with no expectation which led to greatness.

    Me, too. I love the Hammer Horrors and the Hitchcock classics.
  • Posts: 6,910
    Bela at the opera about to meet Mina, Lucy, and Harker.
Sign In or Register to comment.