Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited May 2019 Posts: 7,314
    GF, although it's close.

and

LALD - even closer. An extremely difficult choice .
    Gf
    Lald
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    DN
    LALD

I wanted to go GF. But after last week's viewing of DN, it made me realize how much I enjoy DN more.
    GF & OP
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DN
    LALD

I wanted to go GF. But after last week's viewing of DN, it made me realize how much I enjoy DN more.

Having watched both of them quite recently, I must admit I enjoyed DN a lot more too. There is something about DN’s atmosphere and low-keyism (if that’s a word) that I really like.

LALD and OP have very distinctive appeals which I both like, but Cold War and East Germany feel much more Bondian than voodoo and supernatural even though I can appreciate that kind of thing as well.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited May 2019 Posts: 4,377
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    DN
    LALD

Having watched both of them quite recently, I must admit I enjoyed DN a lot more too. There is something about DN’s atmosphere and low-keyism (if that’s a word) that I really like.

LALD and OP have very distinctive appeals which I both like, but Cold War and East Germany feel much more Bondian than voodoo and supernatural even though I can appreciate that kind of thing as well.

Bond going against Voodoo and the occult is the most interesting and unique concept in the series and that's why it's one of my favorites. I honestly wish they would have done more. Like having Samedi toy with Bond in the dark underground caverns in Kanangas lair.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DN, a film in which Bond plays an active part.

OP, a film made by a strong team that doesn't always get the praise it deserves.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited May 2019 Posts: 1,318
    GF, the quintessential Bond
    &
    OP, both aren't my faves, but I do enjoy it more
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Smuggling and atom bombs for me this time-GF and OP.
    GF

LALD
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2019 Posts: 15,423
    DN. Definitely. Bond at his very best!

Now, I'm struggling with this since I'm not a fan of either, but seeing as I'm not fond of the 70s, despite seeing Roger in his prime, I'll take OP.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2019 Posts: 2,598
    GF. Closer than you may think. Like several people have commented, I do like the “low-key” vibe to DN (not including Ursula Andress’s bikini that is).

LALD. OP was my first true Bond movie and I just adore Maud Adams, so this is a really hard choice. In the end LALD gets my vote because I find Yaphet Kotto’s Mister Big more interesting (IMO) than OP’s villain combo of Kamal Khan (Louis Jourdan) and General Orlov (Steven Berkoff). Plus, you have a great McCartney theme song.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DN vs GF - While DN is rough around the edges, GF beyond being "iconic" just doesn't float my boat

LALD vs OP - LALD isn't so much a bad film, but I only tend to watch it when i'm having a Bondathon. OP I am more likely to watch any time I feel like watching a Moore film (which admittedly isn't that often).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    GF
    LALD
    DN
    &
    LALD
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    DN
    &
    LALD
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited May 2019 Posts: 2,721
    DN
    LALD

Caribbean Bond for me
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    DN
    LALD
    DN

&

OP
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    DN > GF - Tough decision here. GF delivers arguably the finest first hour of any Bond film, but I lose a bit of interest afterwards. DN, while rough around the edges, appeals as a tight little detective thriller, and although the majority of the film is set in JM, it is used extremely well.

LALD > OP - A personal favourite - the voodoo themes are unique and interesting.
    DN & OP
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DN beats GF 18-17

LALD beats OP 18-17 too.

Round 94:

TB vs FYEO

and

GE vs SP
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    TB
    GE
    Bam, easy.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FYEO has (on and off) been my favourite Moore Bond movie now and then, in spite of all its shortcomings - while TB has always been one of my least favourite Connery films.

While I much prefer the Craig era over the Brosnan reign, Brosnan's best is still better than Craig's possibly worst (not sure if that shouldn't be QOS, but it's not in the running here). So choice no. 2 is GE.
    TB
    GE
    TB over FYEO
    GE over SP
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    FYEO over TB

GE over SP
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TB
    GE
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TB and GE
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TB
    GE