Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

I love FYEO, but i love OHMSS more.

FRWL wins easy
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Round 15:

OHMSS vs FYEO. No contest. John Barry beats Bill Conti. Savalas Blofeld easily beats Kristatos. The final 1/3 with battle atop Piz Gloria is vastly superior to the Meteora battle. Lazenby Bond/Tracy generate far more sparks than Moore Bond/Melina. FYEO attempts to be Moore's OHMSS but it simply does not come close to the 1969 007 adventure. OHMSS wins in a landslide(or should I say avalanche? ;) )

and

FRWL vs TND. TND is fast-moving fun and a Lewis Gilbert type Bond film for the Brosnan era and does feature David Arnold's best Bond score. But FRWL is a Bondian masterpiece. FRWL wins.

This ^
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    OHMSS and FRWL
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    OHMSS and FRWL
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    OHMSS beats FYEO and FRWL beats TND, both 20-1.

Round 16:

OHMSS vs TMWTGG

and

DN vs TSWLM
    OHMSS over TMWTGG for sure.

I'll be interested to see how this second match turns out. I'll be taking DN over TSWLM, though I do adore the latter. In spite of how iconic and wonderful TSWLM is, it's just never entered into the zone that DN has, where on a whim I could wake up on the right day and claim it as my favorite.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Easy once again,:

OHMSS

and

DN
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yep. Once again, the 60s beat the 70s.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    OHMSS vs TMWTGG - no contest on this one. OHMSS is a far superior film in nearly every way, although I'm personally a huge fan of the later film and the performances of nearly everyone in it.

DN vs TSWLM - this one is quite difficult for me too. Both are ranked very close in my top five, but these are very different films. Just like Peking duck is different from Russian caviar, yet I love them both. They straddle the extremes of what is possible with cinematic Bond. One a very low key and intimate thriller set primarily in one location, and the other a larger than life epic globe trotting adventure. Both terribly iconic in their own way and both executed to absolute perfection. After giving this some thought, I'm going to have to go with TSWLM for the win but it wasn't an easy decision.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yep. Once again, the 60s beat the 70s.

Every time, comrade-- full agreement... OHMSS decimates TMWTGG... DN destroys TSWLM in the introduction alone!! (Bond playing baccarat and seducing a woman while taking her money?... Or... Bond is 70s Playboy fantasy mode?... Uh... Alec, I'll take Dr. No for "one million dollars"....)
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    OHMSS
    AND
    TSWLM
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ... you're drunk on your own power @JamesBondKenya !... Think about it, my young Padawan!

Use the Force of your hormones...

... Wouldn't you rather see our Bad Ass Jedi, 007, taking a woman's money, and then taking her?... or...;

The "same" Jedi in a 70s Playboy centerfold (shag carpet and all); an ugly watch, and, later in the film; bell-bottoms, and our hero with knobby knees and flat-feet; a homo-erotic fight scene (not that I have a problem with that generally, but, you know, Bond); a rip-off of a far superior 60s film (YOLT-- with all its flaws it is better for two reasons: Connery and Japan)...

I could go on, but I'm exhausted from all this, Padawan!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TMWTGG over OHMSS

TSWLM over DN

TSWLM is a vastly superior film to the Model-T prototype that was DN.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    No contest on the first one.
    OHMSS smashes TMWTGG

The second match up is slightly closer. Spy being my introduction to Bond, it'll always have a soft spot for me. However Bond's introduction is hard to fault.

DN over TSWLM
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thank you @Benny; like Bond, you're not letting emotions get the better of you. You are the man of the hour and I genuflect at your 007 altar.
    Hahaha @peter Dr. No used to be near last for me but in the last 2 years it’s jumped up to near
    #10 but TSWLM is just something else entirely
    OHMSS and DN
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JamesBondKenya: from almost last, to close to top ten, is almost good enough for me.

My prediction (look into my eyes so I can hypnotize you): you will soon see that watching DN, even with no sound, and witnessing King Connery glide across the screen, will destroy Rog at his best. The bell-bottoms will ring too loud for you; flat-footedness and knobby knees will become disturbing to look at for a man with a Licence to Kill... and;... the fight on the roof-top... the straddling of another man (which, in general, I have no issues with, but, again, Bond), will be acid to the eyes...

Soon, my friend, soon...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Crazysoul95 -- not only an amazing name, but a person with exquisite taste... (all joking now aside: I love TSWLM with all my heart. But DN is DN and is unique in starting the adventures to come, with a leading man who was (is) smooth as silk, and a villain that is, in my mind, far superior than Stromberg).
    I like Dr. No but it kind of feels like FRWL-lite where you have all the classic pieces that made FRWL and to some extent GF the best films in the series, but they’re all just not as good. All the elements are present, that’s why I like Dr. No, it just doesn’t feel as high quality as the others which is testament to it being the first but that’s why when they kept the same style but doubled the budget, they made the very best bond film with FRWL.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    true @JamesBondKenya, but this is not to rank DN vs FRWL, or GF... this is specifically against TSWLM... And, as I said above, all joking aside, I do love TSWLM... However, when I compare the first 007 adventure to '77... I gotta go with:

The Better Bond (Sean).
    The Sexier Bond (like I said, take her money, then take her vs the 70s Playboy centerfold with shaggy carpet).
    The Better Style (nobody wore bell bottoms better than Jack Tripper (please google) and Roger Moore, but Connery is all class in slicker suits/wardrobe).
    The more Manly Bond (an ex-semi-pro footballer (soccer)/weightlifter/all round tough Scottish Mo-Fo vs knobby-knees= no comparison).
    DN is a superior villain over Stromberg (who sits at his table pressing buttons and failing to shoot fast enough with his scaly fish-hands).
    And finally: one of these films showcased disco-music for a soundtrack... In 1977, a little film called STAR WARS was released. It had a classic soundtrack and didn't resort to dated-cheese sounds...
    But that car sequence is so good
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes. It is. But one scene, in comparison to an entire film, held together by a great story from Fleming, and the leading man, vs a knock-off remake of YOLT and a very good Bond...

One of these films kick-started a 55+ year old franchise, while the other is a very fun snapshot of the era it was made in (very dated)...

I still think DN and his metal hands are scarier than Jaws... don’t get me wrong: Jaws was great until he turned into a buffoon in the desert.
    OHMSS blows out TMWTGG.

TSWLM just edges out DN.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    OHMSS
    DN

Neither of them was difficult for me, even though I like Gun better than Spy, OHMSS is almost unbeatable.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    OHMSS and TSWLM
    OHMSS
    DN
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,087
    OHMSS vs TMWTGG

Almost seems cruel to the Moore outing which after all is only trying to put a smile on our faces. OHMSS wins

TSWLM vs DN

Dr No is my favourite outing of Bond, but I think the first 2 acts of Spy are all but perfect, it's the ending that brings it down for me. It feels like someone holding in their gut, and at the last moment letting all hang out. DN wins.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    OHMSS
    DN
  • GBFGBF
    OHMSS and TSWLM