Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

I will go OP over TMWTGG and YOLT over SF.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    OP
    YOLT
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    OP and SF once again.
    TMWTGG and SF
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    OP over TMWTGG narrowly

SF over YOLT comfortably
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Oh alright then. I already commented on this but will do it again. I was waiting to see if yesterday's posts would be recovered but it seems not (at least for now).

OP vs TMWTGG: Love them both so it's a difficult choice. I think Roger Moore is in top form in both films, which are one-in from his first and last turns as oo7 respectively. He's his super suave trademark self in both, but is a little edgier in the earlier film, while a bit more relaxed and a cool veteran in the later one. Maud Adams nails her roles in both films. Barry's scores contain uncanny similarities in the key cue imho. I give OP the slim win on account of the excellent villain roster.

YOLT vs SF: The earlier film is a benchmark in terms of iconography. The volcano set and Pleasance's Blofeld have been imitated countless times by both EON and competitors since. Connery is in superb form in the earlier part of the film, effortlessly introducing us to exotic Japan while being his super cool self. Even though he appears a bit bored after Aki's death, it's still a decent performance. #11 is one of the best. SF also showcases Asia quite nicely during the Shanghai sequences. I'll give it the slim win here because it's one of the better films of the past 25 years while YOLT is probably the weakest of the 60's. I think it will go down as a classic (despite plot flaws) in time due to the characterizations and visuals. This film is elevated by the tension between M & Silva, the great interactions between cast and Bardem who is a throwback villain and one of the best. SF for the win.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely OP and YOLT. Both sit comfortably in my top 008.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Skyfall over YOLT.
    Octopussy over TMWTGG.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    TMWTGG v OP - Not even close. Rog at the top of his game, fabulous set pieces, excellent tense Cold War plot. The only area in which TMWTGG competes is Christopher Lee and even there I think I might prefer the double handed effort of the oily Jourdan and unhinged Berkoff.

YOLT v SF - Very tight. If we're voting on spectacle and production design it's YOLT in spades but as an overall film SF probably sneaks it as the first half of YOLT drags a bit. SF is beautifully shot and is a classy but flawed effort.
  • SF easily
    OP...barely.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Few voters, but I suspect some had their posts lost on the strange day earlier, and didn t bother posting again, or didn t notice.

OP beats TMWTGG 13-4

SF beats YOLT 11-6

Round 15:

OHMSS vs FYEO

and

FRWL vs TND
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    OHMSS and FRWL

Pretty easy.
    Well looks like my opinion is no different. OHMSS and FRWL very easily. FYEO and TND are good (FYEO moreso), but not at that top tier like OHMSS and FRWL.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have to agree with everyone else. FYEO is like a spiritual sequel to OHMSS and I love that film, but it doesn t quite touch it.

Connery s second is superior to Brosnan s second in every way.

FRWL and OHMSS.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    OHMSS over FYEO

TND over FRWL
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm going with votes for...
    OHMSS
    &
    FRWL

Very easy choices this time.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2018 Posts: 9,117
    This bout stopped in the first round.

Next please.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Few movies can compete with OHMSS and FRWL. Obvious winners here.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    OHMSS vs FYEO - OHMSS for the win. It's a superior film, but I do like FYEO a lot too. In many ways, I prefer to watch the later film more often but on balance the earlier film is the better one.

FRWL vs TND - this one didn't really require much thought at all. FRWL. I hope I don't have to explain the obvious.
  • GBFGBF
    FYEO slightly wins over OHMSS. They are 3 and 6 in my ranking

FRWL vs TND This one is easy for me.
    OHMSS
    FRWL
    OHMSS > FYEO
    FRWL > TND
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    These rounds are getting easier imho.
    OHMSS crushes FYEO.
    FRWL beats TND, although I must admit that I enjoy them almost equally.
    I'm a big FYEO supporter, but it can't top OHMSS for goodness sake.

FRWL wins by a landslide, I'm afraid.
    pachazo wrote: »

Sums up my feelings well, though I still like TND. Just not nearly as much as FRWL.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    FoxRox wrote: »

Sums up my feelings well, though I still like TND. Just not nearly as much as FRWL.

Exactly, I like both FYEO and TND but I happen to love FRWL and OHMSS.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Yes, TND is enjoyable for me too. FRWL is my number 1 for a reason though.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    OHMSS and FRWL
  • OHMSS over FYEO and FRWL over TND.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,262
    Round 15:

OHMSS vs FYEO. No contest. John Barry beats Bill Conti. Savalas Blofeld easily beats Kristatos. The final 1/3 with battle atop Piz Gloria is vastly superior to the Meteora battle. Lazenby Bond/Tracy generate far more sparks than Moore Bond/Melina. FYEO attempts to be Moore's OHMSS but it simply does not come close to the 1969 007 adventure. OHMSS wins in a landslide(or should I say avalanche? ;) )

and

FRWL vs TND. TND is fast-moving fun and a Lewis Gilbert type Bond film for the Brosnan era and does feature David Arnold's best Bond score. But FRWL is a Bondian masterpiece. FRWL wins.