PETITION: Give the fans a more influential say in the (uncertain) future of the James Bond franchise

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I know it's early in the morning Wiz but that is a most unpleasant statement and nowhere near the quality that we have come to expect from you
    I would request that you consider changing it so as to cause less offence Thanks.
  • Don't worry @Birdleson :-). I can tell you that already 21 devoted fans have signed the petition ;-).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    I know it's early in the morning Wiz but that is a most unpleasant statement and nowhere near the quality that we have come to expect from you
    I would request that you consider changing it so as to cause less offence Thanks.

Merely pointing out the inherent ludicrousness of supporting an argument no matter it's merits or whether you agree with it or not merely based on the conviction of its advocate.

And I would say the one thing you can't ever level at Hitler is that he wasnt committed to his cause and didn't fervently believe in what he was doing.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,119

Merely pointing out the inherent ludicrousness of supporting an argument no matter it's merits or whether you agree with it or not merely based on the conviction of its advocate.

And I would say the one thing you can't ever level at Hitler is that he wasnt committed to his cause and didn't fervently believe in what he was doing.

It's something I have been mentioning as well: Your tone is sometimes harsh....even offensive. It would be nice if not just me, but also you could tone down the 'look and feel' of your posts a bit.

I mean, when I say the ""-word out of the blue, which is not even directed at someone, I get a moderator warning. But apparently something simple like staying friendly is not looked upon.

Ooowh, and I am talking about myself as well. But I think in this topic I haven't brought up Hitler.

It's something I have been mentioning as well: Your tone is sometimes harsh....even offensive. It would be nice if not just me, but also you could tone down the 'look and feel' of your posts a bit.

I mean, when I say the "fuck"-word out of the blue, which is not even directed at someone, I get a moderator warning. But apparently something simple like staying friendly is not looked upon.

Ooowh, and I am talking about myself as well. But I think in this topic I haven't brought up Hitler.

Gustav -this here Petition is a MARVELLOUS idea - well done old chap!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883

You are absolutely correct in your logic. I have no problems with your statement and realize that it was in jest.

I mean, when I say the ""-word out of the blue, which is not even directed at someone, I get a moderator warning. But apparently something simple like staying friendly is not looked upon.

Yes, but you've brought him up several times in the past so I wouldn't get all hot and bothered about it.

Shouldn't we be focusing on the merits of your petition, rather than taking shots at other members for their supposed 'tone'?
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited November 2017 Posts: 292
    Never confuse a lack of news about a film for there being no news at all. Everything has its time, and movies on the scale of a Bond cannot be released every six months to satiate some fans armchair panics. 007 is in good hands, rest assured.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What did I miss?

Is Gustav the new Hitler?
    Never confuse a lack of news about a film for there being no news at all. Everything has its time, and movies on the scale of a Bond cannot be released every six months to satiate some fans armchair panics. 007 is in good hands, rest assured.

At last, a sensible voice!
  • What did I miss?

Is Gustav the new Hitler?

Heil Gustav. They'll be coming for the Mendes critics any day now.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Christ. I love Mendes. And his loyalty to Newman commands respect.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    royale65 wrote: »
    Christ. I love Mendes. And his loyalty to Newman commands respect.

Oh please, you're just acting like a fan so that you're spared when the death squads come around. Soon, so very soon, all those who had the audacity to criticize Mendes' contributions to the Bond legacy will receive a fitting and final punishment. >:)
  • Mrcoggins wrote: »

It might be a harsh comment, but logicwise it's completely fitting.
  • Never confuse a lack of news about a film for there being no news at all. Everything has its time, and movies on the scale of a Bond cannot be released every six months to satiate some fans armchair panics. 007 is in good hands, rest assured.

And you happen to know whom?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, folks, here's the thing. Those who wish to sign @Gustav_Graves' petition are at liberty of doing so. The link can be found in the OP or here. But surely we can all safely say that everybody has made his or her point, and that we can therefore move on. These last few pages haven't been doing anyone any favours, wouldn't you agree?

So, unless per majority vote this thread is considered important enough to remain open, we would like to close it in order to avoid further bickering. But we like to hear from you first.

The mod team would furthermore like to wish @Gustav_Graves the best of luck in delivering his petition to the Bond producers.
    You haven't closed it DD .
    I don't particularly see any more bickering than any other threads but it has largely run its course to be fair.

All the best to Gustav on getting a call from EON sometime soon.

And let's be fair he really couldn't do a worse job than SP could he?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I just read the petition plus 5 pages of comments. Probably shouldn't have waited. Likely would have been better received if presented in a much more negative vent.

Appreciate your positive outlook here, @Gustav_Graves! Just let it rise above the lesser back and forth going on.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162
    I don't particularly see any more bickering than any other threads but it has largely run its course to be fair.

Who could, but - asI see it - that can hardly be the qualifier.
  • I don't particularly see any more bickering than any other threads but it has largely run its course to be fair.

Who could, but - asI see it - that can hardly be the qualifier.

Lee Tamahori.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Gustav_Graves I appreciate your efforts, and I may say something that's been said before, but I couldn't be bothered to read five pages:

Even though I admire your intent, I think the petition itself is rather unclear. You're both writing as yourself and as 'fans'. I do share the love of Bond, far less so of cinema. I'd reccommend to think the petition through again and make it shorter and more to the point. What is it you really want? Do you want a panel? Ask for a panel. But now it's on the one hand a fan's story about loving cinema, and on the other a question for... what exactly?

I'm not really concearned about the franchise, no company wants to kill it's goose with the golden eggs, so they'll find a way to distribute, etc. At the same time it's never bad to ask for some improvements, but be clear about that question.

Good luck!

and as a side-note: I will sign it if you ask P&W to be replaced by @OBrady. ;-)
    and as a side-note: I will sign it if you ask P&W to be replaced by @OBrady. ;-)

Now we're onto something.

I too will happily sign if you amend it to say we demand Tanner gets hung drawn and quartered in the next film.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

there is always DAD @TheWizardOfIce
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    You haven't closed it DD .

Indeed I haven't, @barryt007. I want to hear from enough members first.
    You may find equally silly things in a cornflakes box, but you don t close that, do you?
  • Please close this topic now @DarthDimi . Thank you
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You have a way of shaking things up pretty good @Gustav_Graves , don't ever stop.

Just like Adolf!
  • HASEROT wrote: »

Which I take any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Spectre ( even if I probably switch it off right after it leaves London. Still over one hour more Bondian stuff and feel than I get from both of Mendes' efforts combined.
    HASEROT wrote: »

Come to think of it genetic face swaps, space lasers, invisible cars, wisecracking superagent Bond girl who is Bond's equal - DAD does come across like deranged fan fiction.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    HASEROT wrote: »

Which I take any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Spectre ( even if I probably switch it off right after it leaves London. Still over one hour more Bondian stuff and feel than I get from both of Mendes' efforts combined.

my condolences. ;)
This discussion has been closed.