Bond 25 - Actor who would make a good main villain?

1234568»

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I will be surprised now if Malek is not in Bond 25. Not at all excited by him, but I trust the director to do something interesting with him.

I'd still like Viggo Mortensen in a Bond film.
    I will be surprised now if Malek is not in Bond 25. Not at all excited by him, but I trust the director to do something interesting with him.

I'd still like Viggo Mortensen in a Bond film.

Imagine Viggo Mortensen as Blofeld!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yeah, I have, actually. If he ever is in a Bond film (please yes, in my lifetime) - he would need to be the main villain, for sure.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Stuart Wilson, please. Or Gary Oldman.
    But it appears they are eyeing Malek... :/

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Gone are the days of old and gold, my friend.

Sadly, I have yet to see what role will he play in B25 (if he's there), but I wish they could eye more imposing actors.

I see Blofeld here...

stuart_wilson.jpg
    He was great in Lethal Weapon III.
    I'm watching Vikings. Not a great series, but there are a few actors who could make very convincing villains. I was thinking of Lothaire Bluteau, who plays King Charles. A profile that used to be the staple for actors playing Bond villains : veteran, relative unknown, with a few memorable roles.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited March 2019 Posts: 6,718

Sadly, I have yet to see what role will he play in B25 (if he's there), but I wish they could eye more imposing actors.

I see Blofeld here...

stuart_wilson.jpg

Big Stuart Wilson fan here. I've been familiar with him practically all my moviegoing life. I first saw him in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, in which he plays a very cool bad guy --a despicable but charismatic villain of the kind you love to hate-- who teams up with a rather stoic Sab Shimono. Then I saw him in the underrated and overlooked No Escape (directed by Martin Campbell), in which he also plays the villain. He alternates between appearing fairly urbane and seemingly civilized, and going murderously, almost comedically berserk (no more so than when he beheads someone who threatens to usurp his power). A memorable character. I then saw him in Hot Fuzz, in which he has a smaller role, but plays --you guessed it-- a bad guy. Because yes, Stuart Conan Wilson is an expert at playing arrogant, murderous douchebags who deserve a royal asskicking but who are compelling to watch while the asskicking time has yet to come.

Only recently I saw him in Lethal Weapon 3. As Jack Travis, he once again plays a slimy villain, and one who, refreshingly, gets his hands more dirty than his predecessors when it comes to personally carrying out the evil deeds du jour. Shame that the film lets him down. He's underused and has few scenes with Riggs and Murtaugh. Contrast this with Lethal Weapon 2, in which the "deeplomatic eemunitee" guy is much more prominent and has more run ins with our heroes.

I'm ashamed to say I have yet to watch The Mask of Zorro, presumably an integral part of both the Martin Campbell filmography and the Stuart WIlsonnography, but I recorded it the other day so it's waiting for me. Another Wilson bad guy? Yes, please.

Wilson also pops up briefly in both The Rock and Enemy of the State. They're minor, relatively thankless roles (for such a small part he gets relatively high billing in the end credits of Enemy, for some reason). I wonder why he appeared in them. Maybe Jerry Bruckheimer liked the guy? Maybe he was recommended by Joel Silver? I don't know. At any rate, it's interesting that in the early nineties, he quickly went from what I presume was relative obscurity in the UK, to semi-popularity in big Hollywood productions. I mean, anybody can try his hand at a Hollywood career, but not everyone gets a bad guy role in Lethal Weapon that quickly. Maybe he changed agents and things started to happen? Or maybe he met Joel Silver at a golf match and they hit it off. Maybe they wanted the next Alan Rickman... but got Stuart Wilsoned.

Wilson also appears in Polanski's film of Ariel Dorfman's play, Death and the Maiden, this time not as a bad guy! Everybody got busy praising Sigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley, but forgot to consider the story just doesn't work without the guy caught in the middle, who is torn between respecting due process and helping his wife get retribution for the suffering she went through. There is an obnoxious quality that Wilson brings to the role which works well, even though from what I recall, he didn't care for the film (or his performance? I don't remember).

I'd love to see him as a Bond villain. He could totally pull it off. Sadly, it's unlikely to happen since his public profile has gone down since his nineties heyday. I do get the feeling the guy just doesn't care much about fame anyway.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I see Blofeld here...

stuart_wilson.jpg

Big Stuart Wilson fan here. I've been familiar with him practically all my moviegoing life. I first saw him in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, in which he plays a very cool bad guy --a despicable but charismatic villain of the kind you love to hate-- who teams up with a rather stoic Sab Shimono. Then I saw him in the underrated and overlooked No Escape (directed by Martin Campbell), in which he also plays the villain. He alternates between appearing fairly urbane and seemingly civilized, and going murderously, almost comedically berserk (no more so than when he beheads someone who threatens to usurp his power). A memorable character. I then saw him in Hot Fuzz, in which he has a smaller role, but plays --you guessed it-- a bad guy. Because yes, Stuart Conan Wilson is an expert at playing arrogant, murderous douchebags who deserve a royal asskicking but who are compelling to watch while the asskicking time has yet to come.

(...)

I'm ashamed to say I have yet to watch The Mask of Zorro, presumably an integral part of both the Martin Campbell filmography and the Stuart WIlsonnography, but I recorded it the other day so it's waiting for me. Another Wilson bad guy? Yes, please.

(...)

I'd love to see him as a Bond villain. He could totally pull it off. Sadly, it's unlikely to happen since his public profile has gone down since his nineties heyday. I do get the feeling the guy just doesn't care much about fame anyway.

His role of Marek in No Escape was FANTASTIC, same as Montero in The Mask of Zorro - both charming and evil characters, the DNA of the first wave of Bond villains, which is something we'd need back.

I argee that is very unlikely to have him for Bond. Now they are going for "Oscar" dudes. :/

I don't care that he's already been in a game, I'd be doing somersaults if Willem Dafoe played a villain in a Bond film.

And I'm terrible at somersaults.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I don't care that he's already been in a game, I'd be doing somersaults if Willem Dafoe played a villain in a Bond film.
    Defo.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Defo.

And your skill at somersaults?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Daniel Bruhl please :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Defo.
    And your skill at somersaults?
    No problem, I've stolen nanobots to repair inevitable damage.
    Adrian Dunbar would be great. Although maybe a tad old now and too friendly looking.
    This guy would've been a great villain.

zfi3YDW.jpg
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Fassbender
    Oldman
    Cumberbatch
    Bale
    Malek ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

zfi3YDW.jpg
    I do like Curd Jurgens. But, Klaus Kinski as a psychotic villain going up against Moore? What could have been!

zfi3YDW.jpg
    I do like Curd Jurgens. But, Klaus Kinski as a psychotic villain going up against Moore? What could have been!

Of all the Bond actors, I think he would've worked especially well against Moore.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    If there need Oberhauser look a like..
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0882972/
    Lukás Vaculík