Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

Depends on what you define as young, but numbers suggest that younger people are more active on apps like Tiktok rather than Facebook or Twitter. Not that Tiktok is any better, of course.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It makes it worse honestly; why would anyone want to repeat such a horrible cycle?
    Exactly, mate.
    Had one of my wisdom teeth pulled today, and I'm really feeling it now that the local anesthesia has worn off. Does anyone have any tips for how to make the days after the removal easier?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Most likely Ibuprofen, available as a generic medication at your friendly local pharmacy. I only had one of my wisdom teeth removed about twenty years ago, but I don't remember any complications. It was at least better than a root canal job I once got.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 17,297
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Most likely Ibuprofen, available as a generic medication at your friendly local pharmacy. I only had one of my wisdom teeth removed about twenty years ago, but I don't remember any complications. It was at least better than a root canal job I once got.

Thanks @j_w_pepper. Ibuprofen was the one thing I forgot to get after the dentist appointment. If the pain is pretty much the same tomorrow, I will have to visit my local pharmacy. It's stange, but my dentist never mentioned painkillers when I was there.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    OK, I'm just saying that as a lay person, really. If you want to make sure, please see your dentist or doctor or talk intimately with your pharmacist.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2023 Posts: 17,816
    I think I had one of my wisdom teeth removed back in about 2011 after it started to abscess and I had a bit of a puffy cheek. I remember that the extracted tooth had a funny bent kind of root going to the side. I think the dentist may have prescribed tablets. I also recall him recommending washing my mouth out with salt water solution or mouthwash. Again, I'm not medically trained but that's what I seem to remember and it may have just been because the tooth was starting to abscess. I think it all settled down quite quickly after the offending tooth was removed.
    Oh man, wisdom teeth surgery sucked. That first day, when my pain pills wore off, had to be the absolute worst physical pain I’ve ever felt. I was vomiting blood x’P I’m just glad they’re all out now so I don’t have to worry about it in the future. Tooth pain really is the most excruciating thing. For the past week I’ve actually had some bad soreness on my gums on the upper right part of my mouth. It’s in one very specific and small spot, and has been steadily getting a little less painful. Hoping it’s nothing serious or I’ll need an extra dentist trip.
    Well, I must say that the one wisdom tooth I got removed was the only one of the four, because it grew sort of sideways and was threatening to push the neighbouring tooth out of its way. Apart from that, no problem with wisdom teeth. And don't expect any. Thank goodness.
    I had to do all 4 at once xD sooooo not fun. I still remember everything so vividly though, it was the same time Craig announced on Colbert he’d come back for Bond 25, August 2017. And I started a backwards Bondathon with SP down to DN.
    I'm glad that I don't have any emotional connection of teeth trouble with Bond movies.. But I guess that after five-and-a-half years, you managed that as well.
    A little clove oil can work wonders:

This scene always reminds me me of the torture scene in Colonel Sun. It has that level of intensity. Amis's novel came first of course, before Goldman's. I suppose there's a bit of the Largo-Domino cigar and ice cube torture from Thunderball in there too.
    "Is it safe?"

Yeah. Greatest "dentist" scene in film history. Without even watching your clip.
    "Is it safe?"

Yeah. Greatest "dentist" scene in film history. Without even watching your clip.

Sorry to be the person to lower the tone but I couldn't resist it. It's like a much more violent Bond film in many respects.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    "Is it safe?"

Sorry to be the person to lower the tone but I couldn't resist it. It's like a much more violent Bond film in many respects.

Sure is. But it makes much more sense in regards of being "torturing" than e.g. that scene in SP. The Lawrence Olivier character simply has more reason to torture Dustin Hoffman than Christoph Waltz, since he wants to find out something, while Bloberhauser is only thinking of revenge.
    I'm glad that I don't have any emotional connection of teeth trouble with Bond movies.. But I guess that after five-and-a-half years, you managed that as well.

It was comfort in distressing times so it actually makes me look at it even more fondly ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Had one of my wisdom teeth pulled today, and I'm really feeling it now that the local anesthesia has worn off. Does anyone have any tips for how to make the days after the removal easier?

When I had this procedure done, decades ago, I started watching The Prisoner.

I recommend it.
    "Is it safe?"

Sure is. But it makes much more sense in regards of being "torturing" than e.g. that scene in SP. The Lawrence Olivier character simply has more reason to torture Dustin Hoffman than Christoph Waltz, since he wants to find out something, while Bloberhauser is only thinking of revenge.

Yes, well I was thinking of the scene in the Colonel Sun novel primarily. Though, there again, Sun is torturing for his own sick enjoyment and not for the secret information his Red Chinese masters instructed him to extract. I suppose the scene in Spectre ties in with Marathon Man even more as both torture scenes feature drills. I get what you mean about the Spectre torture scene but I was just pleasantly surprised that they finally used a scene from a continuation novel, however badly.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,700
    I'm afraid I'll have to pass since my reading of Colonel Sun has been a thing of he past for at least fifteen years. So I won't try to find connections to current movies beyond what I already wrote.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I keep a bottle of clove oil in the cabinet, and have used it many times.
    A few days since the tooth removal now, and luckily the pain has gone away. Still sore on the inside of my cheeck (and around the hole where my tooth was, obviously). Pretty much sticking to soft foods still though, as eating is still a bit uncomfortable.
    A little clove oil can work wonders:

This scene always reminds me me of the torture scene in Colonel Sun. It has that level of intensity. Amis's novel came first of course, before Goldman's. I suppose there's a bit of the Largo-Domino cigar and ice cube torture from Thunderball in there too.

Hah! I was in the mood to watch a Dustin Hoffman movie last weekend, and I narrowed it down to All the President's Men, which I had never seen before, and Marathon Man. Thinking about this scene made me end up watching All the President's Men!
    echo wrote: »

When I had this procedure done, decades ago, I started watching The Prisoner.

I recommend it.

The Prisoner has been on my list for quite some time actually. I'm considering getting the Network Blu-ray release; The quality of the Blu-rays I've got by Network are great.
    QBranch wrote: »

About four years ago I had a terrible recurring toothache that went on for days. Clove oil was my only relief from it but happily it went away again on its own as soon as it had began. Weird.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Q: What time should you go to the dentist?
    They want to make a live action remake of HTTYD. Why oh why? And why now?
    https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2023/feb/17/how-to-train-your-dragon-live-action-remake-week-in-geek-shrek

Never heard of clove oil, but it might be useful to have handy!

"Is it not remarkable? Simple oil of cloves and how amazing the results. Life can be that simple. Relief, discomfort. Now which of these I next apply, that decision is in your hands." :)

"Is it not remarkable? Simple oil of cloves and how amazing the results. Life can be that simple. Relief, discomfort. Now which of these I next apply, that decision is in your hands." :)

Had to look up that quote, and saw it was from Marathon Man. Might be watching that film tonight!

Had to look up that quote, and saw it was from Marathon Man. Might be watching that film tonight!

Only if it's safe to do so. ;)

It's a great film. I've got it on Blu-ray and I need to watch it on that new format as I've only seen it on DVD before.
    Ah dentists I had a dentist who was a terrorist sympathizer and pulled out a tooth in very marathon man style trust me it was not fun….

On a lesser note two silly complaints

1. Why can’t I beat goldeneye in 00 agent
    2. How many fricking dead tribute shows are there in CT

Only if it's safe to do so. ;)

It's a great film. I've got it on Blu-ray and I need to watch it on that new format as I've only seen it on DVD before.

It was safe. ;)
    Great film too. Don't know why it's taken me soo long to watch Marathon Man again.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Ah dentists I had a dentist who was a terrorist sympathizer and pulled out a tooth in very marathon man style trust me it was not fun….

Oh, I'm glad my dentist is of the more careful type! Sounds like a nasty one this former dentist of yours.