Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    echo wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    'Language corrupts thought', as Orwell said in 1984 - by trying to control the language that kids are exposed to, they're evidently trying to shape the way kids think so that it accords with an accepted narrative. That's insidious, it really is. Talk about a slippery slope.

The thing about calls for censorship is that they are currently coming from both sides: the left wants more inclusive language for certain groups (women, gays, trans), while the right wants to eliminate certain groups from the discussion (you guessed it--women, gays, trans).

We are at a weird point in history. I hope we're not revisiting the 1930s but it sure feels that way sometimes.

I like to think that most people are in the middle, that they don't care about censorship one way or another. But yes, the extremes sure are pot and kettle.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/boy-15-dies-subway-surfing-132800560.html

what dillholes , the poor boy died and people are talking "Darwin was right"
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,564
    Tracy wrote: »
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/boy-15-dies-subway-surfing-132800560.html

what dillholes , the poor boy died and people are talking "Darwin was right"

We all did stupid things as teenagers. It is ridiculous to say the boy deserved it. Stupid? Yes. Got what he deserved? No.
    I used to be very vindictive when I was younger, but now I rarely think or say anyone deserves to die. In extreme cases, it’s human to want revenge on someone who killed someone you loved though, so I could not begrudge a different opinion necessarily. Revenge is the most subjectively right and objectively wrong thing.

Depression, for instance, is something I don’t wish even on the very worst people. It’s just too much. We all need to work together on being kinder.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I used to be very vindictive when I was younger, but now I rarely think or say anyone deserves to die. In extreme cases, it’s human to want revenge on someone who killed someone you loved though, so I could not begrudge a different opinion necessarily. Revenge is the most subjectively right and objectively wrong thing.

Depression, for instance, is something I don’t wish even on the very worst people. It’s just too much. We all need to work together on being kinder.

Amen to that!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    We all need to work together on being kinder.
    Except towards Thatcher. What? She's already dead? How's that relevant? ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    An update on the Roald Dahl controversy:
    https://news.sky.com/story/roald-dahl-classic-texts-to-be-kept-in-print-after-outrage-over-changes-to-authors-books-12818769

So they are still going ahead with altering them, but there will also be an unedited 'Classic Collection' available.
    Cool! I really don’t give a flying #%$@ if the originals are still in circulation. They can make all the extra worthless editions they want.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,564
    So, they'll be printing two versions then, one of which will continue to sell well, while the other will soon be collecting dust. Awesome business plan. At least the publisher has had his five minutes of fame. Sort of.
    I forget if I posted it, but this was one of my favorite recent wins against censorship and came as a shock:

https://nofilmschool.com/disney-butt-in-splash

A long way to go, but I want to be optimistic that more and more are waking up to the stupidity and counterintuitive-ness of censorship.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited February 2023 Posts: 3,392
    The 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution was happened in February 25, but the President decided to move the Non-Working Holiday to 24 (Friday), and make 25 (Saturday) a regular working day.

Remember who's our current President? Well, it's come as a no surprise to me hahahaha.

WTH?! 😂 Good thing that we have no classes as of now (we have PE class every Saturday) but due to our Professor being unavailable, we have no classes for today, coincidentally, making this as a way to commemorate the original Holiday.

The destiny knows it all, I'm so thankful.

He can't erase (and change!) the history, it's there already, and we all know it.

What a shitty attempt at Historical Revisionism and Distortion.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    You go to school on a Saturday @MI6HQ ?
    Benny wrote: »
    You go to school on a Saturday @MI6HQ ?

Yes for PE class, it's every Saturday, it's on Morning till high noon.

Then Office and Systems Management, but our Saturday class there is alternate, for example we have class there next Saturday, then at the second next Saturday, we have no class, it's alternate, our time here is afternoon (2:00-5:00 pm).

We have two classes on Saturday, one is every Saturday, and the other one, is just every other Saturday.

Does anyone here knows the 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution? That event was reported on every news worldwide as being said.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    @MI6HQ at that time I was starting a career in the US military. I served in the Pacific but not in the Philippines.

I'm aware the February elections triggered the revolution to overthrow longtime president Ferdinand Marcos, and overcome fraud and corruption. And it was an example of democracy to other nations in the Region.

@MI6HQ at that time I was starting a career in the US military. I served in the Pacific but not in the Philippines.

I'm aware the February elections triggered the revolution to overthrow longtime president Ferdinand Marcos, and overcome fraud and corruption. And it was an example of democracy to other nations in the Region.

Yes, but as you see, they're back in the power today (and again), thanks to the help of social media in doing some historical revisions.

I'm just in my 20's, but I know what's the truth and that's the most important of it, this event is still important and for me, a symbol of unity among people, that no President is powerful than the whole society or community.

You're right and thank you, sir @RichardTheBruce 👍

And I'm happy that even it's moved, we have still remembered and celebrated the revolution in its original date, because our classes was cancelled, so it's given by the destiny, I think.
    Ordered a Blu-ray release through Amazon a while ago, which was delivered yesterday. The movie was delivered in a thin cardboard envelope, and as a result the Blu-ray case was badly damaged. The disc itself wasn't damaged fortunately, so I won't bother to write a complaint.

I was looking forward to watching the film tonight, until I found out when trying to play the disc just now that it is a region A release! How I've missed that I don't know, but now I'm sitting here with a movie I can watch… Is there any workarounds I can do to watch this disc?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Ordered a Blu-ray release through Amazon a while ago, which was delivered yesterday. The movie was delivered in a thin cardboard envelope, and as a result the Blu-ray case was badly damaged. The disc itself wasn't damaged fortunately, so I won't bother to write a complaint.

I was looking forward to watching the film tonight, until I found out when trying to play the disc just now that it is a region A release! How I've missed that I don't know, but now I'm sitting here with a movie I can watch… Is there any workarounds I can do to watch this disc?

Did you order it from amazon.com, in which case you should have been prepared for it to be Region A? Or from amazon.co.uk or amazon.de or .es or .fr or whatever European, in which case you have a right to return it within at least 14 days even if it is not defective. I'm not among people who order, say, clothes in three sizes and send back two of them, never having returned an order just because I changed my mind. But when I had some reasonable objections in my 25 years as an amazon.de customer, I never had any problems with returning the merchandise and getting my money back. That includes "Amazon Marketplace" sellers.

Oh I sympathise. Those bloody regions! I recall that in the old days one could mess a bit with a DVD player and make it region-free. I am, however, not sure about Blu-ray players.

And yes, Amazon.com neglects to inform us about region codes. Shame on them.

Either way, what I hate even more is the fact that some films are only available for region A. In that case, I give up and search the Internet for more creative ways to get my hands on a copy. I am tired of these region codes complicating matters so.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Oh I sympathise. Those bloody regions! I recall that in the old days one could mess a bit with a DVD player and make it region-free. I am, however, not sure about Blu-ray players.

Either way, what I hate even more is the fact that some films are only available for region A. In that case, I give up and search the Internet for more creative ways to get my hands on a copy. I am tired of these region codes complicproducating matters so.

I sympathise, too. But region codes have been with us since DVD came out, and I think before that there was a difference between American and European TV resolution on VHS tapes. So it is just bad luck if something is not available in a particular region...unless you have a prohibitively expensive region-free disc player. Which is why I rarely bought anything from amazon.com (US). But I did order some things from Asia (see my post in the "last movie watched" thread tonight), and if it was marked correctly in respect of the regions in which it was playable, it worked. Still I'm amazed at product reviews on amazon.xyz still complaining that the buyer never heard of different regions. Hell, it's been that way for over 23 years! It's like complaining that a vinyl album can't be played in a CD deck (remember CD decks?). So that was my "ranting" in this regard.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/dilbert-cartoonist-scott-adams-tells-white-people-to-get-the-fuck-away-from-black-people

Do I even need to explain anything here? It boggles the mind people can be THIS stupid to
    A) Think this way
    B) Share it to the world
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,701
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/dilbert-cartoonist-scott-adams-tells-white-people-to-get-the-fuck-away-from-black-people

Do I even need to explain anything here? It boggles the mind people can be THIS stupid to
    A) Think this way
    B) Share it to the world

If all this is true, I'm devastated. I've been following Dilbert for at least ten years and yes, I noticed the cartoons poking fun at "woke" people etc., including the strips dealing with that Black employee that, much to the chagrin of his superior, identifies as white, rendering their attempt to portray their department as racially mixed impossible. Hell, that simply is satire. Satire doesn't have to stop at anything (Kurt Tucholsky, look him up on Wikipedia). And I can take satire and enjoy it even if I generally support the cause that is satirized, while I criticize its extremes. Like this gender and identity stuff.

But that's not the point. If Scott Adams really said and meant those things quoted in the Dailybeast article, I cannot take his cartoons as lightly as I did (daily!) before, since I now must suppose there is a sinister, racially motivated background to them.

I have always thought that the obvious criticism of capitalism that is central to the Dilbert cartoons came from a mostly liberal person. I became sceptical when he wrote some stuff in favor of Donald Trump a few years ago, but still enjoyed the humor of his work. This may now have changed terminally.
    I’m sorry, that sounds like it especially hit home for you. I knew of Dilbert but didn’t follow. Like you said, there’s nothing wrong with making fun of the crazy woke people that aggravatingly take things too far, but to be an actual raging bigot like this is just messed up. It just astounds me anyone can feel this way and, knowing it will tarnish their name and image forever, spread it online.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Did you order it from amazon.com, in which case you should have been prepared for it to be Region A? Or from amazon.co.uk or amazon.de or .es or .fr or whatever European, in which case you have a right to return it within at least 14 days even if it is not defective. I'm not among people who order, say, clothes in three sizes and send back two of them, never having returned an order just because I changed my mind. But when I had some reasonable objections in my 25 years as an amazon.de customer, I never had any problems with returning the merchandise and getting my money back. That includes "Amazon Marketplace" sellers.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Either way, what I hate even more is the fact that some films are only available for region A. In that case, I give up and search the Internet for more creative ways to get my hands on a copy. I am tired of these region codes complicating matters so.

It was an order placed through Amazon.co.uk, actually. Usually they have this red text notifying that this is a release made for a different region, but I can't remember having seen one this time. I might have somehow missed the text mentioning too; it was an impulsive purchase made very quickly late one evening – and a preorder as well, so all information might not have been there when I bought it. Anyway, I can probably easily return the Blu-ray disc and get my money back, but it just one Blu-ray disc and it didn't cost that much, so I probably won't bother.

I do have an external Blu-ray drive, but obviously that won't make a difference playing the disc either.
    My suggestion is: Check on amazon.co.uk how to return it. If necessary, try to find out a phone number (it is hidden somewhere among the top and bottom menus, I admit) and/or ask for a callback. As for amazon.de (supposing it might be the same in .uk), they're pretty quick and friendly in handling that. No need to say it was just one BD, unless you don't care about the price you paid. The worst amount you might lose is the postage.

A) Think this way
    B) Share it to the world

If all this is true, I'm devastated. I've been following Dilbert for at least ten years and yes, I noticed the cartoons poking fun at "woke" people etc., including the strips dealing with that Black employee that, much to the chagrin of his superior, identifies as white, rendering their attempt to portray their department as racially mixed impossible. Hell, that simply is satire. Satire doesn't have to stop at anything (Kurt Tucholsky, look him up on Wikipedia). And I can take satire and enjoy it even if I generally support the cause that is satirized, while I criticize its extremes. Like this gender and identity stuff.

But that's not the point. If Scott Adams really said and meant those things quoted in the Dailybeast article, I cannot take his cartoons as lightly as I did (daily!) before, since I now must suppose there is a sinister, racially motivated background to them.

I have always thought that the obvious criticism of capitalism that is central to the Dilbert cartoons came from a mostly liberal person. I became sceptical when he wrote some stuff in favor of Donald Trump a frew years ago, but still enjoyed the humor of his work. This may now have changed terminally.
    I've never been a fan of Dilbert, but used to enjoy reading the comics from time to time, I thought it was a spot on comment on the absurdities of office work. Scott Adams has turned backwards in recent years, with increasingly incendiary and toxic remarks.
    My suggestion is: Check on amazon.co.uk how to return it. If necessary, try to find out a phone number (it is hidden somewhere among the top and bottom menus, I admit) and/or ask for a callback. As for amazon.de (supposing it might be the same in .uk), they're pretty quick and friendly in handling that. No need to say it was just one BD, unless you don't care about the price you paid. The worst amount you might lose is the postage.

In the end I ended up finding a software that allowed me to rip the Blu-ray disc. It's a huge file of course, so I will have to use a second software to make the file size a bit more manageable. A bit of a hassle, but at least I will now be able to watch the film I had paid for.

Never seen this film before, so I can only hope it's worth all the effort!

Care to enlighten us which one it is? Just curious...

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2023 Posts: 13,894

If it's a Uwe Boll film, then just blink twice.

Ah, yes, it wasn't mentioned I see! It's Warning Shot (1967), starring David Janssen. I saw it mentioned in a blog somewhere years ago after having watched Harper (1966) for the first time, in search for similar films to the Paul Newman classic. Back then I couldn't find it anywhere (I think the DVD release was long out of print), and as a result forgot about in until I saw this release which was due to come out.

It's a Kino Lorber Studio Classics release, so if I wasn't so quick to order the film I probably would have expected trouble playing the disc, but even so, there's no region lock mentioned on amazon.co.uk.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,896
    I invested in an all-region Blu-Ray player several years ago and I'm very glad I did. I can play movies by every great label from Criterion to Kino, Indicator to Arrow, BFI, BBC, and Eureka.