Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    It's a Kino Lorber Studio Classics release, so if I wasn't so quick to order the film I probably would have expected trouble playing the disc, but even so, there's no region lock mentioned on amazon.co.uk.
    Thanks for revealing the secret :-). I see on blu-ray.com that the BD is indeed Region A locked. And I see that on amazon.de this is also not mentioned (as in .co.uk as well). Although the product description quoted below (on both sites) would probably have given me second thoughts, and yes, this is supposed to be the one for Warning Shot (1967):

"Baffling murders, fascinating plot twists and remarkable camera work all contribute to this spellbinding, time-honored film noir written, directed by and starring Orson Welles (Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil). Hired to work on a yacht belonging to the disabled husband of femme fatale Rita Hayworth (Gilda, Separate Tables), Welles plays an innocent man drawn into a dangerous web of intrigue and murder. The subject of great controversy and scandal upon it's initial release, The Lady from Shanghai shocked 1948 audiences by presenting Hayworth with her flaming red hair cut short and dyed champagne blonde. Decades later, The Lady from Shanghai is considered vintage Welles, his famous hall of mirrors climax hailed as one of the greatest scenes in cinematic history."

I repeatedly wonder how such sloppy product descriptions often persist for so long at Amazon.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I've only got a dvd-player that cost 25 quid from Asda (Wal-Mart) in 2003, but there was some website with various 'hacks' and one of them claimed it could be converted it into a region-free player - press this button, then this, then open the tray and press this, etc. It actually worked! Still going too...unless I've just jinxed it, obvs.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 17,308
    Revelator wrote: »
    I invested in an all-region Blu-Ray player several years ago and I'm very glad I did. I can play movies by every great label from Criterion to Kino, Indicator to Arrow, BFI, BBC, and Eureka.

Will no doubt have a look at all-region Blu-Ray players after this. There are several other titles which I know are region A releases that I would like to get my hands on. Don't know how common these players are, but I'm sure there are some decent ones out there.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    It's a Kino Lorber Studio Classics release, so if I wasn't so quick to order the film I probably would have expected trouble playing the disc, but even so, there's no region lock mentioned on amazon.co.uk.
    Thanks for revealing the secret :-). I see on blu-ray.com that the BD is indeed Region A locked. And I see that on amazon.de this is also not mentioned (as in .co.uk as well). Although the product description quoted below (on both sites) would probably have given me second thoughts, and yes, this is supposed to be the one for Warning Shot (1967):

"Baffling murders, fascinating plot twists and remarkable camera work all contribute to this spellbinding, time-honored film noir written, directed by and starring Orson Welles (Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil). Hired to work on a yacht belonging to the disabled husband of femme fatale Rita Hayworth (Gilda, Separate Tables), Welles plays an innocent man drawn into a dangerous web of intrigue and murder. The subject of great controversy and scandal upon it's initial release, The Lady from Shanghai shocked 1948 audiences by presenting Hayworth with her flaming red hair cut short and dyed champagne blonde. Decades later, The Lady from Shanghai is considered vintage Welles, his famous hall of mirrors climax hailed as one of the greatest scenes in cinematic history."

I repeatedly wonder how such sloppy product descriptions often persist for so long at Amazon.

Obviously now that you mention it, I should have checked blu-ray.com first, which I usually do in these cases (as well as read the product details better too, of course).

Didn't read the product description, and had to look it up myself. Incredible!
    Venutius wrote: »
    I've only got a dvd-player that cost 25 quid from Asda (Wal-Mart) in 2003, but there was some website with various 'hacks' and one of them claimed it could be converted it into a region-free player - press this button, then this, then open the tray and press this, etc. It actually worked! Still going too...unless I've just jinxed it, obvs.

Ah, cool! I looked up one Blu-ray player yesterday that needed a special transmitter in order to send the correct codes to your player. Seems like quite a hassle really.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,935
    Yeah, this was literally a five- or six-step process of pressing buttons on the remote while the dvd-player was switched on. I more than half thought it was hogwash and also suspected that it might be a prank and seize-up the whole thing - but for 25 quid, I figured I'd give it a go.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,896
    Yeah, this was literally a five- or six-step process of pressing buttons on the remote while the dvd-payer was switched on.

That's how I used to switch region codes on my old DVD player. Some brands didn't even need to be hacked, you just entered the code. I have an old Seiki Blu-Ray player that was like that, but most Blu-Ray players nowadays need to be pre-hacked before you enter the code. There are specialized websites that sell them.

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited February 2023 Posts: 3,393
    I've joined this community in March, and it's getting near (you know, my first anniversary and birthday in this community 😊).

And I liked that I'm growing as a Bond fan, learning new things, getting a bit matured to understand every aspects of being a Bond fan, and learning such etiquettes on how to be a Bond fan, I'm kind of growing and upgrading (and yes, improving).

One of the great things and essences about joining a community is where you can learn something, like getting into discussions, being able to open up and understand different perspectives and thoughts.

Now, I'm learning of how to share my thoughts and perspectives in a respectable and thoughtful way rather than just being a so called "rants" (if you know what I mean).

At the age of 20, I've learned to be a fan without any biasness, not just narrow minded fans who are biased towards things because some relies on nostalgia, because it's more popular and they tend to join the 'hive minds'.
    My job is at risk of redundancy. Not really happy. I was expecting it, but not so early.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 17,308
    Yeah, this was literally a five- or six-step process of pressing buttons on the remote while the dvd-player was switched on. I more than half thought it was hogwash and also suspected that it might be a prank and seize-up the whole thing - but for 25 quid, I figured I'd give it a go.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Yeah, this was literally a five- or six-step process of pressing buttons on the remote while the dvd-payer was switched on.

That's how I used to switch region codes on my old DVD player. Some brands didn't even need to be hacked, you just entered the code. I have an old Seiki Blu-Ray player that was like that, but most Blu-Ray players nowadays need to be pre-hacked before you enter the code. There are specialized websites that sell them.

I imagine Blu-rays might be a bit different (learned that this weekend). The Blu-ray external drive that I used to rip the film plays American DVD releases with no trouble at all, but won't play the Blu-ray disc. Different types of coding, I expect.

I will have to try and find an European alternative to the site you linked to @Revelator. I'm sure the must be similar sites out there.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    My job is at risk of redundancy. Not really happy. I was expecting it, but not so early.

That's very unfortunate @Ludovico. Does it leave you with time to look for other opportunities? I've been in the same situation twice myself, and know how difficult this can be.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Sorry to hear that, @Ludovico. I know you were enjoying that job better than the last place you worked. I wish you all the best and hopefully you'll be able to hold on to your job, or if it comes to it, find another suitable job.
    Yes, sorry to hear that, Ludovico. I've been under threat of redundancy a few times since the crash and I know how galling it is when you work hard, do a good job and still doesn't seem to be enough. It sucks, mate.
    Thanks everyone. Hot a few meetings with recruiters today, plus one with HR.
    Okay it's been confirmed that I'm being made redundant as there's no new openings within the company.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-k-briefly-considered-killing-174549510.html

I can barely believe this. People never would have stood for it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FoxRox wrote: »

That's probably why they didn't do it. There are some crazy ideas that I'm glad our politicians did not even ponder. It would have been a moment where even I would have tried to get an illegal gun somehow.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    They should have held a referendum on the subject.
    We don't have national referenda (or is it referendums now?), and boy, am I glad.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

From the party that gave us..

hero-image.fill.size_1200x1200.v1666271634.jpg

The Conservates are such a steaming shower of shit, that I COULD believe that they would consider that. And you just know that a year after the British cat cull, they would find out that cats weren't even the problem.

That party also gave you three immediately preceding prime ministers that goofed big-time (no, I won't get into Maggie Thatcher etc. here). Plus the latest, who seems at least a bit more reasonable.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 12,276
    I don’t live in the U.K., but anyone would have to kill me first before they could kill a pet cat of mine. Fellow animal lovers understand this. I would have taken my sick cat’s place and died prematurely instead of him if I could have when it happened.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,706
    I don’t live in the U.K., but anyone would have to kill me first before they could kill a pet cat of mine. Fellow animal lovers understand this. I would have taken my sick cat’s place and died prematurely instead of him if I could have when it happened.

Right on...

The Conservates are such a steaming shower of shit, that I COULD believe that they would consider that. And you just know that a year after the British cat cull, they would find out that cats weren't even the problem.

Yup. And now they'll be known as the party of wannabe cat killers.
    Killing cats, because it worked so well during the Black Plague.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,935

Exactly what I thought. I know the Tories are regressive swines, but revising some failed lunacy from the 17th century?! Mind you, a couple of years back every Tory MP voted for a motion that said animals weren't sentient beings and couldn't feel emotion or pain! That's the level of ingrained clodwittery we're dealing with here...
    edited March 2023 Posts: 17,827

They've clearly been reading the Red Grant serial killer playbook, and the David Dragonpol one too. Both started out their criminal careers killing defenceless animals.

In any event, I'd have hidden my pet cat Millie away rather than allow the state to kill it. Such stupid laws must be wilfully disobeyed by the civil populace.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Yup. And now they'll be known as the party of wannabe cat killers.

They are not only slimy, lying, and self serving, but nutters too.

I am thinking of getting into shape, now if only I could find a punching bag with Matt Hancocks face on. He has the most annoying face ever seen in British politics.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 3,393
    What a world! What's happening to the world, now, take that SJW warriors! This is the new generation! killing cats!

Well, it looks like it's fine for them, such hypocrites, telling to revise those books because they contained offending and bad passages, but what about this?

Killing innocent animals are a lot more worse than every words that Fleming put on page!

Edit: Or maybe they would going to revise that too because that would be offending and not good for youths, right? Instead of killing cats, make it, "they're just going to make those cats sleep".
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,706
    Killing innocent animals are a lot more worse than every words that Fleming put on page!

And yet, let's face it, it happens zillions of times a day if you count all the livestock raised for exactly that purpose (Disclaimer: I do enjoy eating meat - too much, probably -, but try to get it from sources where I can be fairly sure the animals were treated half-way decent while they were alive). And the Danish government culled a million or so mink, every single one in Denmark, after the Covid-19 virus was detected at several farms (those poor minks, of course, had that coming either way). We are just more sensitive when it comes to pets, especially our own. Which, I guess, is human nature.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 3,393
    I'm a cat lover, and to the lesser extent, an animal welfare advocate, and for me, there's nothing worse than this, is the world suffering an epidemic? The COVID-19 is over, and even there is, it's not related to animals either.

People are getting a lot more worse as time goes by, very disappointing.

It's no different to killing numerous dolphins in Faroe Islands.

I wish many people will protest in this.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    I'm a cat lover, and to the lesser extent, an animal welfare advocate, and for me, there's nothing worse than this, is the world suffering an epidemic? The COVID-19 is over, and even there is, it's not related to animals either.

People are getting a lot more worse as time goes by, very disappointing.

It's no different to killing numerous dolphins in Faroe Islands.

I wish many people will protest in this.

But that's it. People have learned to protest the wrong things; they no longer protest the right things. Obviously killing cats would neither have been a solution, nor something that is ethically defendable. I'm also confident that the UK government wouldn't have gotten away with any of that. Not that many cat lovers who would've agreed having their pets killed, that's for sure.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 17,827
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

And yet, let's face it, it happens zillions of times a day if you count all the livestock raised for exactly that purpose (Disclaimer: I do enjoy eating meat - too much, probably -, but try to get it from sources where I can be fairly sure the animals were treated half-way decent while they were alive). And the Danish government culled a million or so mink, every single one in Denmark, after the Covid-19 was detected at several farms (those poor minks, of course, had that coming either way). We are just more sensitive when it comes to pets, especially our own. Which, I guess, is human nature.

That's all true and well said. Thankfully the excesses of the UK Government in this area can sometimes be stopped by the courts, such as the stopping of the proposed TB-related badger cull in Wales by Pill LJ and the two other judges sitting in the Court of Appeal back in 2010:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jul/13/welsh-badger-cull-halted

I imagine any proposed government cull of domestic cats in the UK during the Covid-19 emergency would have similarly ended up in the courts where the ultra vires ("beyond the powers") doctrine might well have been applied to put the brake on government ministers' powers.