Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I've got another cold. Less than a week before Christmas and I have little time left for food shopping. Furthermore, I have a fresh beer which I must drink before Friday.

That's when it always seems to happen, isn't it? Our house caught the flu bad last year and all started to get really sick on the 23rd or 24th. Terrible timing. There was little fun to be had on Christmas morning, just wanted to crawl back into bed and do nothing.

I'm getting better thankfully and I think I should be okay for Christmas. But my fresh beer might get wasted.

I hope you get well soon, @Ludovico. Colds seem harmless, but they can be seriously annoying.

Thanks. It's especially worse since the Covid pandemic: it's like you've got the plague.
    I was better today, but tonight the shiver is back and I suspect the fever. And my son is of course struggling to sleep. Might have a dry Christmas tomorrow. Bond movies to avoid this season: OHMSS and NTTD. They'd just feel too close to home.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Visited 007 Store, and my God!
    The James Bond 007 Guitar - Signed & Numbered David Arnold Edition - By Duesenberg , it's still a Pre-order.

Costs ₱ 475,900.00 PHP (I live in the Philippines), more expensive than any Iphones or Samsung phones here in our country (and some of them costs ₱50,000 especially MAC/Iphone Pro or Samsung Flips) it almost costs a Jackpot prize or a house! Or maybe more than that!

I really couldn't believe the price!

I doubt any Bond fans here in the Philippines would likely to buy this super expensive guitar 😅.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Hey guys! How are our American friends doing? I'm hoping for the best!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    ...And whilst you worry about your niece bering a victim of some sort of conspiracy, I worry about my father-in-law and the rockets that land around him. But hey, it's unfair for me to wish the culprit of that situation dead of course....

@CommanderRoss

I can share most of your criticism regarding Thunderfinger, but he's gone for now. Relax. He won't even answer to your posting at this time.

I won't miss him when political issues are concerned, and I also haven't really appreciated his constant posting of non-descript YouTube links where you didn't know if you'd discover a 1960s' music gem or some Q-Anon nonsense, though he did add some interesting things in diverse discussions regarding the primary subject of this board.

He may be back soon, and I hope on the condition that he doesn't keep spouting Putin war-of-aggression propaganda and sporting avatars that are 1930's Nazi posters. But other than that, let him have his deluded opinions. Nobody has to react to those, although I admit it's very, VERY hard for me to resist at times. There are limits for what you can swallow, and he's been beyond that limit repeatedly.

Let's hope for the best.

Don't worry, I've been in these discussions with him before. I'll just not let anything pass without a proper counter reaction. It is, after all, a discussion board and i believe none of those remarks should be without a counter - just for the sake of nobody here thinking that such ideas are founded.
    I understand that my remarks might come over as emotional, but they're facts and I wanted to counter this 'poor niece' story to put things into perspective.
    I must say though, the good news is that the city my father-in-law is living in, Mikolajiv, has had fewer rockets falling down on it since Kherson is in Ukrainian hands again. But he's had a few close shaves: one rocket distroyed the part of the hospital he worked in, but he was away feeding his cat. The other was a major rocket coming down about 300m away from his home, so the ceiling fell down on him in his sleep. He escaped without injury because of the thick blanket he was laying under.
    It doesn't mean I think @Thunderfinger is a nice bloke. I know of plenty of people whom are very nice but seem suseptible for all these conspiracy theories. And I even understand them to a point. Illnesses have always been mankind's biggest fear. You can't see them coming and they can turn life into a horror story. If that fear is in you and 'government people' (those, as we all know, are not humans but some sort of drones or zombies executing orders) come and tell you to put some substance into your bloodstream to prevent you from falling ill for something that you can't see, is, all in all, scary.
    It's just sad that fear can overtake a rational brain like that.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I see the 2 week ban has expired on his account but there's no sign of @Thunderfinger returning as yet. He may or he may not return but I hope he does when he's ready.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm indifferent on that. I expressed my views in my Dec. 11 posting that @CommanderRoss quoted tonight. Let's wait and see...as far as I am concerned.
    @Thunderfinger was welcomed back into our midst. He's a grown-up man; he must decide how to proceed. On a personal note, I hope he'll want to join us again without the inflammatory stuff. I miss the pre-pandemic Thunderfinger.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It will be great to have him back.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    ...And whilst you worry about your niece bering a victim of some sort of conspiracy, I worry about my father-in-law and the rockets that land around him. But hey, it's unfair for me to wish the culprit of that situation dead of course....

@CommanderRoss

I can share most of your criticism regarding Thunderfinger, but he's gone for now. Relax. He won't even answer to your posting at this time.

I won't miss him when political issues are concerned, and I also haven't really appreciated his constant posting of non-descript YouTube links where you didn't know if you'd discover a 1960s' music gem or some Q-Anon nonsense, though he did add some interesting things in diverse discussions regarding the primary subject of this board.

He may be back soon, and I hope on the condition that he doesn't keep spouting Putin war-of-aggression propaganda and sporting avatars that are 1930's Nazi posters. But other than that, let him have his deluded opinions. Nobody has to react to those, although I admit it's very, VERY hard for me to resist at times. There are limits for what you can swallow, and he's been beyond that limit repeatedly.

Let's hope for the best.

Don't worry, I've been in these discussions with him before. I'll just not let anything pass without a proper counter reaction. It is, after all, a discussion board and i believe none of those remarks should be without a counter - just for the sake of nobody here thinking that such ideas are founded.
    I understand that my remarks might come over as emotional, but they're facts and I wanted to counter this 'poor niece' story to put things into perspective.
    I must say though, the good news is that the city my father-in-law is living in, Mikolajiv, has had fewer rockets falling down on it since Kherson is in Ukrainian hands again. But he's had a few close shaves: one rocket distroyed the part of the hospital he worked in, but he was away feeding his cat. The other was a major rocket coming down about 300m away from his home, so the ceiling fell down on him in his sleep. He escaped without injury because of the thick blanket he was laying under.
    It doesn't mean I think @Thunderfinger is a nice bloke. I know of plenty of people whom are very nice but seem suseptible for all these conspiracy theories. And I even understand them to a point. Illnesses have always been mankind's biggest fear. You can't see them coming and they can turn life into a horror story. If that fear is in you and 'government people' (those, as we all know, are not humans but some sort of drones or zombies executing orders) come and tell you to put some substance into your bloodstream to prevent you from falling ill for something that you can't see, is, all in all, scary.

Best wishes to your father-in-law. I can't even imagine how hard that must be.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 3,391
    @Thunderfinger was welcomed back into our midst. He's a grown-up man; he must decide how to proceed. On a personal note, I hope he'll want to join us again without the inflammatory stuff. I miss the pre-pandemic Thunderfinger.

Agreed, the man who always participating in Bond discussions rather than posting anything else.
    I hope he's alright, he'd participated in my game, the best shot per Bond thread.
    I wish he already recovered.

Edit: Let's also hope that he doesn't move out to the other forums, I haven't checked other Bond forums yet (most specifically, Bond and Beyond) where the majority of members there were once a member of mi6community.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2022 Posts: 17,810
    MI6HQ wrote: »

Agreed, the man who always participating in Bond discussions rather than posting anything else.
    I hope he's alright, he'd participated in my game, the best shot per Bond thread.
    I wish he already recovered.

Edit: Let's also hope that he doesn't move out to the other forums, I haven't checked other Bond forums yet (most specifically, Bond and Beyond) where the majority of members there were once a member of mi6community.

I remember him telling me he was a member on the old CBn Forums years ago (I was too and I vaguely remember the username) but I hope he'll come back to us here in his own good time. This is his online Bondian home. The grass is never any greener on the other side.
    t6e6tcjxlma9.jpeg

Finally! Can we PLEASE start wearing these clothes now??

;-)
    Defenders of Earth takes place in 2015......they should do a live action movie of that toon as well as Bravestarr , MASK , Blackstar
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    echo wrote: »

@CommanderRoss

Let's hope for the best.

Best wishes to your father-in-law. I can't even imagine how hard that must be.

thank you, that's highly appreciated!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Finally! Can we PLEASE start wearing these clothes now??
    ;-)
    Well, we've survived the likes of "1984", "2001 Space Odyssey", "2010: The Year We Make Contact" and "2012" over time, so I'm not in a hurry to get an outfit like Sean'sh.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Since I don't have ZARDOZ on DVD to do my own double check, I'm confused. :-??
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Since I don't have ZARDOZ on DVD to do my own double check, I'm confused. :-??

You are right! I checked Wikipedia (for what it's worth) and it also mentions the 23rd century. Oh well, I was misled then. ;-)
    I will have to change my oven : no matter what I do, it causes short-circuits in my flat every time I use it.

Oh, and to paraphrase Ko-Ko from The Mikado : Cold Callers and telemarketers, those ones are on my list, and they would not be missed.
    Here it is: the post-Christmas blues.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I will have to change my oven : no matter what I do, it causes short-circuits in my flat every time I use it.

Oh, and to paraphrase Ko-Ko from The Mikado : Cold Callers and telemarketers, those ones are on my list, and they would not be missed.

I don't know that quote or paraphrase, but cold callers and telemarketers are the embodiment of a pest...quite apart from acting illegally at least in Germany, and probably the entire EU. But even worse are those con people who try to plant a trojan on your PC by pretending they're from Microsoft. I rarely pick up my mainline receiver if I see a number I don't know, especially from other country codes, but my latest encounters ran about like this: [Indian or similar accent]"Hello, I am calling from Microsoft Windows." - [Me] "No, you're not, a..hole. Go f... yourself. Or jump from a high-rise building to improve the world." [The caller] "You go f...yourself instead...". Which is when I hung up. I must admit I always feel very relieved using expletives like those on the callers, something which I would never do to others. But life has its little rewards.

Needless to say, I guess, that I block all the numbers I don't know, even those that I did not pick up in the first place, in my DSL/VoIP router, so it is relatively quiet by now.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 5,812
    Here's the reference :

And there's a lot more where that comes from, with a lot of topical references.
    Gerard wrote: »

I don't know that quote or paraphrase, but cold callers and telemarketers are the embodiment of a pest...quite apart from acting illegally at least in Germany, and probably the entire EU. But even worse are those con people who try to plant a trojan on your PC by pretending they're from Microsoft. I rarely pick up my mainline receiver if I see a number I don't know, especially from other country codes, but my latest encounters ran about like this: [Indian or similar accent]"Hello, I am calling from Microsoft Windows." - [Me] "No, you're not, a..hole. Go f... yourself. Or jump from a high-rise building to improve the world." [The caller] "You go f...yourself instead...". Which is when I hung up. I must admit I always feel very relieved using expletives like those on the callers, something which I would never do to others. But life has its little rewards.

Needless to say, I guess, that I block all the numbers I don't know, even those that I did not pick up in the first place, in my DSL/VoIP router, so it is relatively quiet by now.

As I have my own company, my number is registered in the company database. When you choose for it to not be allowed to get cold-callers, you only get the ones who do so explicitly to break the law. But what I don't understand is that they often call and then hang-up immediately. Why? You're not earning, you're just annoying me and making chances even smaller I won't try to find your adress and kill you when I do speak to you....
    The idea of those calls is that most gullible people will notice the number shown on their phone and (without thinking first) will try to call back...at an extraordinary fee for so-called value-added services (see Wikipedia if interested). Let's just make it clear that there is no value added whatsoever, and so everybody should try to avoid the charge.
    Ah, that's why. Strange, that these people can't get a proper job in the current market. Still send their nr to the police, hopefully they'll do something with it (most likely not).
    Well, yes, the local police over here won't do anything about numbers from wherever in the world...if they (the numbers) are real in the first place.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 3,391
    I'm still recovering my relationship with Reddit and here's the thing:

As a Bond fan, if there's a newcomer who've watched the Bond Franchise and didn't liked them because of the tropes, and as a Bond fan who knows better, you should sell the Franchise in good and positive light.

Someone in Reddit told this about the Bond Franchise:
    So, what Bond movies would you all recommend? I’ve been trying to get into the series but the Daniel Craig ones have just not done it for me. I’ve so far seen Goldeneye, Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace and Skyfall and didn’t really like any of em. It’s so weird too, because I love to watch stupid stuff and I’ve seen 007 films be called stupid action, but I’m usually just underwhelmed at best or disgusted at worst (usually cause of the how much of a womanizer Bond tends to be). Maybe Bond just isn’t my cup of tea but I would really like to be a fan. So once again, which ones do you guys recommend?

And he'd stated that he didn't liked the Bond character.

It didn't came from me, it's from that redditor who's trying to get him/herself to the Bond Franchise, and as a Bond fan myself, it's hard what to recommend, and if I didn't gave a better advice about someone whose getting in with the Bond Franchise would it that make you ashamed as a Bond Fan yourself? I mean as Bond Fans we're also standing as the Ambassadors for the Bond Franchise, selling them to those newcomers whose trying to get in.

I've advised to watch the classic films like the Connery, Lazenby and Moore ones, and The Living Daylights.

And he replied with this:
    Edit: Thank you for the responses, I genuinely mean that. So I think my plan of action will be to just finish off the Daniel Craig ones since I only have two movies left, then check out some of the older ones that you guys suggested. Hopefully I’m able to find some lasting enjoyment somewhere in the series… besides the games.

If a newcomer enjoyed the advices on getting in with the Franchise, it leaves a bit of smile, and gained a new Bond fan.

Do you experienced and feel the same?

But still Reddit is still toxic, I'm rarely joining in some discussions, maybe once in a blue moon. 😅, Yes I'm rarely visiting it.
    Nobody Does It Better than Forums like this, I enjoyed being in here more.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,558
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    I'm still recovering my relationship with Reddit and here's the thing:

As a Bond fan, if there's a newcomer who've watched the Bond Franchise and didn't liked them because of the tropes, and as a Bond fan who knows better, you should sell the Franchise in good and positive light.

Someone in Reddit told this about the Bond Franchise:
    So, what Bond movies would you all recommend? I’ve been trying to get into the series but the Daniel Craig ones have just not done it for me. I’ve so far seen Goldeneye, Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace and Skyfall and didn’t really like any of em. It’s so weird too, because I love to watch stupid stuff and I’ve seen 007 films be called stupid action, but I’m usually just underwhelmed at best or disgusted at worst (usually cause of the how much of a womanizer Bond tends to be). Maybe Bond just isn’t my cup of tea but I would really like to be a fan. So once again, which ones do you guys recommend?

And he'd stated that he didn't liked the Bond character.

It didn't came from me, it's from that redditor who's trying to get him/herself to the Bond Franchise, and as a Bond fan myself, it's hard what to recommend, and if I didn't gave a better advice about someone whose getting in with the Bond Franchise would it that make you ashamed as a Bond Fan yourself? I mean as Bond Fans we're also standing as the Ambassadors for the Bond Franchise, selling them to those newcomers whose trying to get in.

I've advised to watch the classic films like the Connery, Lazenby and Moore ones, and The Living Daylights.

And he replied with this:
    Edit: Thank you for the responses, I genuinely mean that. So I think my plan of action will be to just finish off the Daniel Craig ones since I only have two movies left, then check out some of the older ones that you guys suggested. Hopefully I’m able to find some lasting enjoyment somewhere in the series… besides the games.

If a newcomer enjoyed the advices on getting in with the Franchise, it leaves a bit of smile, and gained a new Bond fan.

Do you experienced and feel the same?

But still Reddit is still toxic, I'm rarely joining in some discussions, maybe once in a blue moon. 😅, Yes I'm rarely visiting it.
    Nobody Does It Better than Forums like this, I enjoyed being in here more.

The James Bond "franchise" is the sum total of everything they're making money off, including books, games, comics, merchandise, ... So you can't really "watch" the franchise. What you are mostly talking about is the film series I think. And if so, then I have learned that it's impossible to select the proper gateway into the world of Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    but I’m usually just underwhelmed at best or disgusted at worst (usually cause of the how much of a womanizer Bond tends to be).

They sound like a fun person to be around. I would just tell them not to bother, they sound like someone for whom Bond just isn't going to be for them.

Actually, no, recommend DAF. If seeing such an offensive womanizer being thrown around by two women, doesn't get their juices flowing, then tell them not to bother going any further into the films.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It sounds as though they're looking for daft spy capers, tbh. I can see why Dan's films won't have done it for them! Kingsman and RED might still be a bit of a reach, so The Spy Who Dumped Me, Johnny English, Spy, etc, might be more what they're after?